PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot viability as a deadly weapon.

Master-Blaster
06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
After hearing about the use of slingshots in both Mexico and Israel as revolutionary weapons (Going so far as to become the primary symbol of the Palestinian fight against occupation) I decided to research on the actual destructive capabilities of a slingshot. After sifting through much bullshit on youtube and several forums, I discovered this little gem, which to me perfectly demonstrates just how dangerous these "toys" can be, given proper modification. I figured perhaps some of you might be interested in this as well, seeing as most people assume a slingshot is little more than a child's plaything and would find this quite surprising.

ko1x5v_a85A

47 47 47
06-12-2010, 09:59 PM
When you're launching ball bearings THAT size at something, I expect some serious damage

Lead Oxide
06-12-2010, 10:01 PM
A friend of mine has one of those uber power slingshots, I dunno about deadly though, it depends on where you hit. Leading on to the problem of accuracy and the time it takes to put in another BB, also you can't walk around with it "loaded" as such.

Needless to say I want that slingshot though.

Master-Blaster
06-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I know commercial slingshots, such as Trumark and Barnett, or really any that use tubes, lack the acceleration that a flat band offers due to the thicker rubber. A thinner, flat rubber has a higher stretch ratio betweent the edges and the center. Meaning that the center of the band stretched more than the edges, resulting in very quick movement at the cost of band lifetime.

Also, a follow up to that video he tests against ballistic gel. While not an accurate representation because he uses the same piece of gel for all the shots, thus the gel is weaker with each test, I still find it amazing that a 9mm steel ball bearing will punch through 6 or more inches of gel.
B9lJ5FoXrek

ilovechronic
06-12-2010, 10:14 PM
http://huntingexperienceforyou.com/wp-content/uploads/image/compund%20bow%203.jpg
+

http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/125/202/773/o_vbzdioKtqrFusaP.jpg
Hit a target at 40-60yds accurately.

You dont have to have the big stablizer weight that looks like a dildo either.

Master-Blaster
06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
A bow is definitely a more appropriate weapon, as would be a gun. But the ease of building, and cost effectiveness of a slingshot puts it in a class of its own.

ilovechronic
06-12-2010, 10:21 PM
A bow is definitely a more appropriate weapon, as would be a gun. But the ease of building, and cost effectiveness of a slingshot puts it in a class of its own.

Well the main thing is it is not as small and conceable as a slingshot. Bows are pretty stealthy though. Shooting a compound bow at like 40 yds is almost like shooting a rifle. They have sights and everything.

Master-Blaster
06-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Leading on to the problem of accuracy and the time it takes to put in another BB, also you can't walk around with it "loaded" as such.

The big german guy actually engineered a holster to solve that problem, which clips onto his belt and allows for a shot to be preloaded. He can ready, and fire it within under 5 seconds. I'll look for the video and also post it here.]

k5h0sGu5POY

Vargus
06-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Just how ergonimic it looks it pretty interesting. I wonder how well it would work if you were to use cast lead shot or slugs as ammo?

Master-Blaster
06-12-2010, 11:04 PM
I imagine it would be fairly devastating, considering lead is almost twice as dense as steel. Travelling at 90 meters per second, a quadruple-ought lead shot would impact with 16 foot-pounds.

Also at 90 m/s, a .50 lead shot would impact with 36 foot-pounds. OUCH!
A .50 steel ball would impact with around 25 foot-pounds, just for comparison.

Mantikore
06-13-2010, 01:49 AM
i thought those were called "catapults" and the 'slingshots' were those leather straps you swing around your head, like in the bible or something

anyway, i cant see much penetrative ability with them, both because balls are generally not very good at piercing things anyway, and the energy imparted from the elastic wont be too high. kinetic energy = (1/2 * E * x) - H, where E is the stiffness (not very high for rubber tubes), x is the distance you stretched it to (also low in this case), and H is energy lost as hysteresis (negligible)

plus, at the ranges you could accurately employ it, some one can easily close the distance with a knife or something, so unless you can shoot at someplace really soft consistently, i cant really see it being used as a weapon.

those other slings though, you know, the one used to kill goliath, may actually be pretty effective, since you can use larger projectiles easily

but really, the only time i can see an elastic powered weapon being used effectively is something where the frame is able to store a lot of energy, like a crossbow

47 47 47
06-13-2010, 02:00 AM
i thought those were called "catapults" and the 'slingshots' were those leather straps you swing around your head, like in the bible or something

http://www.healthstones.com/knights_and_dragons_store/schleich_world_of_knights/schleich_castle/schleich_catapult/schleich_catapult.jpg

http://www.safetytechnology.com/Images/Slingshot.jpg

http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/images/Sling.gif

Nerd Fangs
06-13-2010, 02:09 AM
http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=100906

Now many of you know what sparkplug ceramic insides are used for, as an easy way to break glass because they are manufactured to be industrially hard and are small.

These in in some circles are called 'ninja rocks', because they break glass so easily due to their small impact space and chemically high hardness.

AtNDvoxI3ck

Heres another demonstration video for those unfamilliar. (although this is BI and most of you probally are)

hdLNrWqaQRc

Anyway, the point is, with a throw of minimal force, a large amount of damage can be caused by one of these things, compared to a rock.

But we all know the damage increase rocks do when put in one of these: (due to higher speed)

http://pelletbbguns.com/images/3040%20folding%20slingshot.jpg

The difference of damage between throwing a pebble and shooting it through a slingshot is dramatic.

What would happen if you put the spark-plug piece in a slingshot? An increase of speed would increase the force it hits with, and fuck, it did enough damage shattering things just with a simple throw, imagine the fucking damage it could do in one of those things.

It could surely rip through human flesh/break skulls.

Any input/feedback on this idea?

yawanur
06-13-2010, 02:16 AM
http://www.safetytechnology.com/Images/Slingshot.jpg

Wrist rockets are prime, with steel shot they DESTROY shit. And they're much easier to handle/aim/get full power from than a regular slingshot, due to the wrist brace.

BoilingLeadBath
06-13-2010, 02:30 AM
"Slingshots suck because balls don't penetrate well, and we can't store much energy in the band"

eh... wrong.
1) Balls penetrate better than most bullet designs; they easily part tissue (typically leaving a permanent cavity about .4x their caliper, IIRC) and are relatively hydrodynamic - thus they avoid the two main sources of tissue-induced-drag.
Now, compared to a broadhead or field point? You'd be correct... but... http://www.chiefaj.com/national_slingshot_assocation.htm...

2) I don't trust analysis where the person leaves out important factors (band weight) and uses shitty variable names (you want "k" for stiffness, not "E". E means something very specific, and different than what you want).
Besides, you can get surgical tubing with walls thick enough that your draw weight is limited by your strength, rather than the material.

Master-Blaster
06-13-2010, 02:40 AM
Tubes aren't good anyways. Use theraband blue or silver, much more potential energy with a faster acceleration. Plus it's made for repeated stretching. As for ammunition, apparently 3/4" hex nuts filled with lead are aggressive. Density of lead combined with hard, steel edges.

I built a natural fork slingshot, with double bands on each side a few hours ago, and shot a phone book with it. Penetrated to page 126, which is 63 pages total. Using 2 3/4" hex nuts screwed onto a trimmed bolt.

5.56 SS109
06-13-2010, 04:54 AM
I would rather use a blow gun.

ZX9R
06-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Perhaps deadly enough to result in having a firearm (damn right deadly) pointed at you. :D

The big german guy actually engineered a holster to solve that problem, which clips onto his belt and allows for a shot to be preloaded. He can ready, and fire it within under 5 seconds.

lol poor germans and their crap firearm laws.

Grown men have to play around with slingshot holsters. :D

I bet he has thought of the self defense application(s) lol

The Savage
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
I would rather use a blow gun.

Nah, blowguns are more like stabbing something with a needle, Unless you add something "spicy" to the darts even point-blank shots to the head which penetrate don't drop small animals like rabbits... In my experience anyway, that was using home made steel darts about 5" long with plastic cones.

spiralds123
06-15-2010, 12:04 AM
The IRA used a slingshot, and it was featured on Deadliest Warriors.

Here is the episode:

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/ir-vs-taliban/32259

Rolf
06-15-2010, 06:03 PM
The IRA used a slingshot, and it was featured on Deadliest Warriors.

Did thou hear? "Deadliest Warrior" is the contender to the smash hit video game "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2"s "most realistic entertainment ever invented" championship trophy, states Sir Rolf.

That being said, properly made slingshots (and not kids toys) are decent weapons, considering both their ease of use and manufacture, SWIR (Someone Who IS Rolf), suggests them to guerrillas, freedom fighters and citizens of draconian dictatorships who disallow law-abiding citizens to own peashooters, states Sir Rolf.

virgil caine
06-15-2010, 06:45 PM
that guy makes some cool slingshots jorg is on another website i visit and hes allways coming up with crazy new shit.

they are dangerous if you hit someone in the face with a rock or a steel ball from a wrist rocket i imagine it would fuck something up you can definitly hunt birds with them if your good.

has anyone seen the sling bow its wicked cool they take a wisker biscut attach it to a slingshot and use it to shoot arrows it gets some decent power.

DirtySanchez
06-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Ill take a gun any day but slingshots can be devastating. Even if someone survives it a shot to the head will at least knock them the fuck out.

dood44
06-17-2010, 05:53 AM
If you can get the technique to using a sling down they are pretty impressive, launching even larger projectiles than a slingshot.