PDA

View Full Version : What poppy seeds are best to get for tea?

Eskorbuto
03-14-2009, 11:30 PM
What kind of poppy seeds are unwashed, have no pesticides and are sold in bulk?

I'm going to try making some poppy seed tea and I want to have a good amount of alkaloids.

White Blue Mushrooms
03-15-2009, 12:00 AM
go to the store and look for I believe california poppies. I may be wrong, but buy a whole can of them, go home, wash them and use them.

Aerogone
03-15-2009, 02:26 AM
go to the store and look for I believe california poppies. I may be wrong, but buy a whole can of them, go home, wash them and use them.

IIRC Californian poppies have the lowest, if not null, yield of opium.

None of the poppies sold for baking purposes are going to be covered with pesticides.

A 500gram(~1.1pound) bag of Polish(i think) poppy seeds runs for 3$.
2 bags are enough to get it going if you have low or no tolerance

But the high is more depressant and "low couched light-nod" then an "uplifting head spin"

Always use caution when doing poppy seed teas because the alkaloid concentrations can drastically vary from batch to batch. At least 1 kid has died from doing the same amount, until the potency variation resulted in overdose.

Aces N 8s
03-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Dude, you're a mod now. You cant just talk out of your ass. Thirty seconds on google would have told you that you were completely wrong. CA poppies may *technically* have a sedative effect, but there is zero euphoria and if you get anything from it at all it will merely put you to sleep. Also, from what I can tell the only effects are gotten from the plant its self. The seeds dont get any kind of psychogenic matter from the plants and do fuck all.

The only poppies that produce the opium you want are papaver somniferum. Theirs are the regular poppy seeds found in bagles and muffins across the country.

As to what brand you want, theres no real answer to that. As Aerogone said, potency varies hugely from one batch to the next even within the same brand name. My personal reccomendation though is to get them from a farmer's markey if you can. These will be more fresh so less opium will have rubbed off. They wont have been processed in a huge botteling factory (again less rub off). They are also much less likely to have any of the things to avoid listed below.

Things to Avoid (should be stated on the label of your seeds if u buy them rom the store):
- Washed seeds
- Seeds w/ pesticides
- Seeds with chemical coating specifically designed to prevent people from maing tea (becoming more common with brand mane seeds)
- Any kind of "processed" seeds as these have typically been subjected to one or more of the above.

Struwwelpeter
03-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Does that stuff really work? Can you, in all actuality go to a store, purchase a bag of culinary poppy seeds, boil them to a tea and get high? I find it highly unlikely that it actually works, as most certainly it would have been criminalized by now. I do know that you cannot grow the poppy seeds you buy at the store, as they are practically "dead". This is evidence to me that, just as in Bad Ideas everyone on totse who claims to be in to drugs is really just a fifteen year old kid who has memorized erowid and talks about stuff here in order to get a sense of belonging, which is just hilarious.

reallystupidstuff
03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
What kind of poppy seeds are unwashed, have no pesticides and are sold in bulk?

I'm going to try making some poppy seed tea and I want to have a good amount of alkaloids.

Try farmers markets/organic food stores. If there are chunks of the poppy pod in the its a plus. DONT GULP YOUR TEA. drink it slowly to gauge the effects/prevent overdose

Eridani
03-15-2009, 11:59 PM
As someone above said, you need Papaver Somniferum. I don't know about buying seeds, I have always grown the poppies and milked them. I think I heard once the ones you can buy for cooking have had something done to them to remove the opiates - not sure about this though - and the ones you buy to grow the plants have chemicals on. I would just grow some if possible - if you start them now, in around May you will have dozens of flowers you can milk repeatedly.

Eskorbuto
03-16-2009, 03:27 AM
As someone above said, you need Papaver Somniferum. I don't know about buying seeds, I have always grown the poppies and milked them. I think I heard once the ones you can buy for cooking have had something done to them to remove the opiates - not sure about this though - and the ones you buy to grow the plants have chemicals on. I would just grow some if possible - if you start them now, in around May you will have dozens of flowers you can milk repeatedly.

I just ordered some seeds, and apparently a good amount of them germinate. Hopefully at least a few out of the pound I ordered will...

However, I don't really have a green thumb. What's your grow setup like? Is it much effort?

bsquared
03-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Pretty much any poppy seeds that are sold at grocery stores or markets are going to have been washed and probably have next to nothing as far as opiate content.

Try going to some ethnic food stores and see if they have any seeds. Those are probably more unlikely to have been processed.

If the seeds a have a milky white residue on them theyr'e good to go, but if they are black or blueish they've been cashed.

Aerogone
03-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Pretty much any poppy seeds that are sold at grocery stores or markets are going to have been washed and probably have next to nothing as far as opiate content.
That is why it takes next to 2 fucking pounds.

If the seeds a have a milky white residue on them theyr'e good to go, but if they are black or blueish they've been cashed.

Right, because dry opium residue stays white....:rolleyes:

Eridani
03-16-2009, 04:41 PM
However, I don't really have a green thumb. What's your grow setup like? Is it much effort?

Almost no effort whatsoever. I'll just roughly say what I do - if you need any more help please ask.

The easiest thing to do is to start them indoors. You need something like this...

http://www.mytinyplot.co.uk/wp-content/seed_tray.jpg

Or you can use one of those cardboard egg tray things. Put some [peat based] compost in each of the sections and put some seeds in - you really need one plant in each section but there's no guarantee every one will germinate - you can always seperate them later.

Keep them moist - you can tell when they need it by the weight/colour of the compost - but don't overwater.

After a few weeks you can put them into slightly bigger pots - just take out the plug and repot it (into more compost). When you're sure the frost in your area has gone and the shoots are a few inches tall then plant them outside (in compost) - a sunny area is best.

Honestly, once these things get going they're like weeds, make sure you keep them watered now and again but once they're established you shouldn't have many problems (depending on the climate where you are). The hardest part is the germination.

Fra
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
what about a standard A/B extraction? morphine(the interesting alkaloid) becomes Freebase at something like 9.. so you just crush your seeds ind dH2O, you add a bit of hcl, then wash with NP the solution. keep the water phase,base it with NaOH or any other strong base and then extract with NP. convert to salt and enjoy. actually cakewalk, and lets you see the alkaloids quantity. BTW by growing them you'd get more than 10000% yield.

constantinople
03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Almost no effort whatsoever. I'll just roughly say what I do - if you need any more help please ask.

The easiest thing to do is to start them indoors. You need something like this...

http://www.mytinyplot.co.uk/wp-content/seed_tray.jpg

Or you can use one of those cardboard egg tray things. Put some [peat based] compost in each of the sections and put some seeds in - you really need one plant in each section but there's no guarantee every one will germinate - you can always seperate them later.

Keep them moist - you can tell when they need it by the weight/colour of the compost - but don't overwater.

After a few weeks you can put them into slightly bigger pots - just take out the plug and repot it (into more compost). When you're sure the frost in your area has gone and the shoots are a few inches tall then plant them outside (in compost) - a sunny area is best.

Honestly, once these things get going they're like weeds, make sure you keep them watered now and again but once they're established you shouldn't have many problems (depending on the climate where you are). The hardest part is the germination.

This post actually helped me. Thanks

Aces N 8s
03-17-2009, 09:29 PM
what about a standard A/B extraction? morphine(the interesting alkaloid) becomes Freebase at something like 9.. so you just crush your seeds ind dH2O, you add a bit of hcl, then wash with NP the solution. keep the water phase,base it with NaOH or any other strong base and then extract with NP. convert to salt and enjoy. actually cakewalk, and lets you see the alkaloids quantity. BTW by growing them you'd get more than 10000% yield.

Nah dude you're not getting it. There is nothing you want on the inside of the seeds. The reason you can make tea with them is that they grow in the same part of the plant that holds the opium laytex. So when you harvest the seeds they are covered with dry powdered opium.

if you then take these previously unwashed seeds and, basically just wash them in a way that lets you save the wash-water, then you have just collected a few milligrams of opium powder into a tea that you can drink for a nice little buzz.

You dont get anywhere near enough opium powder to make an A/B worth while. Bewsides, with the nasty sludge you get by reducing the water you wouldnt have much success even if you did wash 1000lb of seeds or so.

What do you mean you get a 10,000% by growing. 10,000% of what? Of the powder you pull off the seeds? Sure you would, thats pretty obvious, but noone here has a field to grow 2lbs worth of seeds in. Plus, growing more than a few poppies is automatic intent to distribute. Fuck that.

Eridani
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Plus, growing more than a few poppies is automatic intent to distribute. Fuck that.

I just read that it's illegal to grow them in America - I'm in the UK where they grow wild/naturally so... up to you (OP).

Danger
03-19-2009, 01:35 AM
I just read that it's illegal to grow them in America - I'm in the UK where they grow wild/naturally so... up to you (OP).

no doubt, plus its like no work.... dump out a few thousand, come back a couple years later and lance your heart out..