PDA

View Full Version : broke the ZIF connector for my laptop's power button! help!

NamelessNom4d
09-22-2011, 04:09 AM
I took apart my laptop to clean it and fix some other shit, and I probably shouldn't have been doing that stoned...

Missed a screw and pulled too hard on the keyboard tray piece trying to get it off, which of course the power button is on. Anyway, the ZIF ribbon tore clean off at the base of the circuit board the button is on. I think I can resolder it but I'm a noob at soldering. I need to do this tonight because I need my laptop for class tomorrow. :facepalm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-G60-Compaq-CQ50-Power-Button-Board-486627-001-/260802219560

That's the part I need, I broke the cable off at the base of the board, but you can still see the metal nubs sticking out. I think I can resolder it but I've never soldered anything like this before. Is there anything special I need to do to make sure I don't completely fuck it up? The ribbon itself doesn't have any exposed wire so I need to figure out how to strip the insulation off that at the very least.

is all mememememe with me
09-22-2011, 04:31 AM
i think you'd be best to order the new part and just explain the problem to your school. im sure they can make an allowance for this sort of thing. these things happen, what can you do?

NamelessNom4d
09-22-2011, 04:41 AM
i think you'd be best to order the new part and just explain the problem to your school. im sure they can make an allowance for this sort of thing. these things happen, what can you do?

That's what I plan on doing, I'm sure it'll be fine. I want to fix it now if I can though, and order a new part anyway so I don't have to use my ghetto soldered laptop all the time :hrmph:

Zok Jr.
09-22-2011, 04:45 AM
I had this same thing happen to me before if you stick a knife or something in the slot on the motherboard where the cable connects you can find the solder joints for the power you can jump them and it will turn on.

You probably shouldn't do this but just sayin it worked for me for years until the laptop died of unrelated injuries

NamelessNom4d
09-22-2011, 05:23 AM
^ that won't work with this laptop :mad:

Zok Jr.
09-22-2011, 05:25 AM
^ that won't work with this laptop :mad:

Did you try it?

NamelessNom4d
09-22-2011, 05:49 AM
Just ordered a replacement part, shit was like $34 man. :angry: It's better than paying the $70 or so from the HP website though, it's a tiny fucking circuit board what a rip off!

I'm gonna see if I can get that insulation off with sandpaper or something though and if I can resolder it I'm good for a couple days!

Did you try it?

No but I can't get to the connector while the laptop is put together so it won't work. My wifi indicator and enable/disable button is also on the same board so it's not just the power switch.

Zok Jr.
09-22-2011, 06:05 AM
No but I can't get to the connector while the laptop is put together so it won't work. My wifi indicator and enable/disable button is also on the same board so it's not just the power switch.

That's why I'm saying you have to find the right pins to jump, my laptop was the same way, didn't know you can;t physically get to it though that sucks :P

NamelessNom4d
09-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Well I completely epically failed trying to resolder that connector lol. I shouldn't have even tried it with the materials I had though. :facepalm:

Thankfully I found a decent price on a new power button board and ordered that. I might be able to jump the pins if I solder wires specifically to the right pins, and then feed it out the side of the laptop or something. I feel like that's real shady though and I don't want to fry my actual motherboard!

is all mememememe with me
09-22-2011, 08:20 PM
thats the thing you have to be careful of. if you connect the wrong wires while trying to find the right ones you could blow something that would cost a lot more than a new switch. chances are you won't but you need to weigh up whether its worth taking a gamble just for a few days. do you not have a spare puter for a couple of days, you're obviously getting online somehow, or is that your phone.

NamelessNom4d
09-23-2011, 03:32 AM
No I have a desktop computer that I use for all my normal shit and games etc. My laptop is just a cheap computer I use for school and portability. It's an inconvenience but it's not going to kill me for a couple days. Thankfully I don't have any assignments due on my laptop...