Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Better Living Through Chemistry > From Seed to Smoke

Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Count

Default BHO advice needed

My question is, what kind of screen should I use in my extractor? I bought some 124 silkscreen in a frame because imma make some hash, but I'd hate to cut it up ($25) if a simple coffee filter or whatever else, will do the trick.

When they start stocking rotisserie kits in lowes imma make a hash tumbler, which is what I originally bought the silkscreen for so I'd like to not fuck it up.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Knight

Default Re: BHO advice needed

Yeah, you really don't need to use the silkscreen for a BHO extractor. You only need a filter fine enough to prevent bits of weed coming through with the liquid butane, and your weed shouldn't be ground too fine anyways.

Ive used coffee filter material before, and don't suggest it. It really isn't very permeable for butane. I've also used cheesecloth before and it worked well but it does wick up some of the liquid butane (coffee filters do this a bit too), leaving some oil stuck in there once the butane evaporates. You could always rinse the filter with iso alcohol then evap to recover the oil if you want to. But a fine metal screen (at any hardware store) is preferred, double/triple layer it if you think the mesh size is too big.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Slapshot (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Count

Thanks Spence!!! I want that golden syrup, shit looks intense. I'm going to smoke my whole crop in a week
Old 02-21-2011, 07:29 PM
is baked

Thanked 1,267 Times in 954 Posts

hope yours comes out good, i fucked my attempt up somehow and got almost nothing back.

(shitty plant material from some sensi star's that didn't work out, pvc pipe, capped one end and drilled a small hole. bottomed it with coffee filter and a pipe clamp.)

i think it might have been too big though, half inch diameter pipe, and probably a foot long. Never went back to it after that i decided to invest in some hash bags instead.

I'm sure a good portion of my not liking it was my fault for not perfecting the process and using better materials.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zos View Post
hope yours comes out good, i fucked my attempt up somehow and got almost nothing back.

(shitty plant material from some sensi star's that didn't work out, pvc pipe, capped one end and drilled a small hole. bottomed it with coffee filter and a pipe clamp.)

i think it might have been too big though, half inch diameter pipe, and probably a foot long. Never went back to it after that i decided to invest in some hash bags instead.

I'm sure a good portion of my not liking it was my fault for not perfecting the process and using better materials.
Damn, thanks for the report... I was considering something glass like snapple or a baby bottle, but my first instinct was to go for a custom pvc with pretty much the same dimensions you used.

Maybe you didn't use enough butane?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
is baked

Could be, i couldn't get a real clear answer from anyone on the dimensions/amount of weed to one bottle of butane i was supposed to be shooting for.

probably better to go shorter and narrower and try smaller batches until you find a good saturation size.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
I got a $7 reusable gold coffee filter from amazon. It's a stainless steel screen coated in bronze, I think. Anyway the mesh, cut to size, works a lot better than anything else I've tried.
I LOVE those things, walmart usually has them in two shapes/sizes. I use it for everything, the mesh would be perfect for a BHO extractor. You can even toss trim in it, agitate/mix for a bit, and end up with a nice pile of keif for hash pressing:

Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Peasant

I made my own BHO extractor using PVC pipe and a radiator vent and plug in either end, in the plug I drilled several small holes about 2 mm, in the vent end I removed the vent/bleeding screw and the butane nozzle fits nicely in there with one of the supplied adaptors which is wedged in tightly and stays there, these plugs fit nicely in 15mm pipe if you dip the pipe in boiling water to soften it a little, these can then be removed and replaced with a good push fit, and to keep my hand from freezing used foam pipe insulation works a treat.

For the filter I have been using a piece of paper coffee filter in it held in place with a one hitter pipe screen over the top to hold it into place, I am wondering if one of the pipe filters on its own would be good enough?

If enough interest I will upload pics.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 AM
is baked

hey slap, so how did this come out?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Duke

Send a message via MSN to White Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I made my own BHO extractor using PVC pipe and a radiator vent and plug in either end, in the plug I drilled several small holes about 2 mm, in the vent end I removed the vent/bleeding screw and the butane nozzle fits nicely in there with one of the supplied adaptors which is wedged in tightly and stays there, these plugs fit nicely in 15mm pipe if you dip the pipe in boiling water to soften it a little, these can then be removed and replaced with a good push fit, and to keep my hand from freezing used foam pipe insulation works a treat.

For the filter I have been using a piece of paper coffee filter in it held in place with a one hitter pipe screen over the top to hold it into place, I am wondering if one of the pipe filters on its own would be good enough?

If enough interest I will upload pics.
Pics would be much appreciated
Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombo.com View Post
hey slap, so how did this come out?
I'm harvesting any day now, just clicked these off before my battery died, check em out.

I probably won't have the tumbler together for this harvest, but I'll definitely post the extraction. I can extract as soon as the trim is dry, right?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 PM
is baked

yeah, and it dries a lot faster than buds