Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Technology > Technophiles and Technophiliacs

Old 08-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 3,498 Times in 2,252 Posts
Default Casper needs computer help...

Okay so I bought a computer from a friend, thinking itd be a top-notch gaming computer... As it turns out, this mightve been a top-notch gaming comp...MAYBE....in its heyday, 4-5 years ago.

This is what I think my system is running, thusfar:

*AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+
* 2.2 GHz Cpu (rated at 3.6 GHz or something i think)
* 1GB DDR PC3200 RAM
*Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1, 32-bit
*GeForce 9600 GT video card

and the motherboard is an ASUS A8N-Sli .

Basically, my question is...what are the cheapest and best options to make it so my computer can play newer games like The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3?

Im thinking a couple more gigs of ram would do well, but might I need more than that? Maybe a dual-core processor? Quad core? What dual core/ quad core CPUs can my motherboard handle?

Im basically just a step above computer retarded, so if you could come up with a quick list for me of the possible CPU options for my mobo, thatd be really helpful. I think Ive already nailed down a couple GB of ram on newegg for like $50...unless you know some someplace better?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-C

Last edited by CASPER; 08-26-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Default Re: System Upgrade help plz

Help motherfuckers
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 AM
Selfish Cunt

Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,641 Posts
Default Re: Casper needs computer help...

Quote:
I am expret in many advance form haksing. I are able penetration email, passworks, firesale, mainframe also WOP II enfliction. If you are being want to haking jobs with me, we can explain togther concern paying me, security procedures and additions. I able to exconstipate varible infromation of company servings and sercure privacy networkings.
not what you said earlier. is someone chatting shit?
Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

obviously my account was momentarily haked, you dick.

ANYONE?! GRRR.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Baron

Buy some more RAM for sure. It is cheap and an easy install. Have 4GB.

I think that's probably all you need. If that doesn't get you where you want, try overclocking. Find out other people's experiences with overclocking your type of CPU and GPU. Be careful with it, though. A graphics card would also be a relatively easy upgrade as well, though you may not need it. I don't recommend replacing the CPU, as that'll be a bit harder.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Selfish Cunt

these are great gaming computers and really cheap considering. should be in your price range i would think.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

I just started PC gaming...I mostly a console guy. So I really dont want to sink another $600+, $800+ dollars into a new computer. I was hoping just to be able to do a 60 dollar RAm upgrade, and then stick a dualcore in there and be good to fucking go. I have 4 ram slots it seems, so yeah it looks like Ill be able to go a max of 4GB...and then just as an example, for the cracked copy of the Witcher 2 that it took me like 2 weeks to d/l, it says that I need at least an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+. I was looking on newegg, and cant seem to find the numbers at the end of the cpu... (3200+, 4800+, 5000+).

I think Im gonna end up getting this RAM...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231047

for a toital of 3GB, and then I want to find the cheapest dual core thatl fit this mobo.

I found this list for my mobo:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/A8N-SLI.html

buyt I cant seem to find the MHz ratings anywhere on newegg

halp naggerz
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOfCrash View Post
Buy some more RAM for sure. It is cheap and an easy install. Have 4GB.

I think that's probably all you need. If that doesn't get you where you want, try overclocking. Find out other people's experiences with overclocking your type of CPU and GPU. Be careful with it, though. A graphics card would also be a relatively easy upgrade as well, though you may not need it. I don't recommend replacing the CPU, as that'll be a bit harder.
Yeah I mean I noticed that me comp could run the game I wanted....albeit VERRRYYY slowly and choppy-like. So u think RAM will make that big of a diff, or will a dual core CPU really be necessary?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Selfish Cunt

it depends. im not really into gaming but i do know that ram will only allow your computer to run faster, but it cant make it go faster. for instance, if your hdd will only turn at a certain revs per second, then having more ram will not make that hdd turn any faster, but it will enable it to read from that disk at its full potential if it wasnt already. in essence there are a few variables that can affect your systems performance and speed. different applications will use different variables of this so you probably need to talk to a gaming expert. hardware isnt really my area anyway.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Duke

Thanked 1,240 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
Yeah I mean I noticed that me comp could run the game I wanted....albeit VERRRYYY slowly and choppy-like. So u think RAM will make that big of a diff, or will a dual core CPU really be necessary?
Definitely get some decent RAM, but you're most likely going to need a GPU upgrade.

In general, RAM is for load times, CPU is for physics. Everything else tends to be handled by the GPU and VRAM.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Serf

Quote:
Okay so I bought a computer from a friend, thinking itd be a top-notch gaming computer... As it turns out, this mightve been a top-notch gaming comp...MAYBE....in its heyday, 4-5 years ago.

This is what I think my system is running, thusfar:

*AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+
* 2.2 GHz Cpu (rated at 3.6 GHz or something i think)
* 1GB DDR PC3200 RAM
*Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1, 32-bit
*GeForce 9600 GT video card

and the motherboard is an ASUS A8N-Sli .

Basically, my question is...what are the cheapest and best options to make it so my computer can play newer games like The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3?

Im thinking a couple more gigs of ram would do well, but might I need more than that? Maybe a dual-core processor? Quad core? What dual core/ quad core CPUs can my motherboard handle?

Im basically just a step above computer retarded, so if you could come up with a quick list for me of the possible CPU options for my mobo, thatd be really helpful. I think Ive already nailed down a couple GB of ram on newegg for like $50...unless you know some someplace better?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-C
Get an AMD Athlon Quad Core - Cheap, bout 100 bucks.
4-6GB of RAM will suffice you for a while, it's good to have about 4GB minimum for gaming as games are starting to range up from using 2GB.
If you have extra cash, I'd scrap the 9600 to someone online for cash and go with like a HD5750 (that's just because AMDs go good with radeon cards.)
How much are you willing to invest in the machine? What's the case like, space and cooling?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrosky View Post
Get an AMD Athlon Quad Core - Cheap, bout 100 bucks.
4-6GB of RAM will suffice you for a while, it's good to have about 4GB minimum for gaming as games are starting to range up from using 2GB.
If you have extra cash, I'd scrap the 9600 to someone online for cash and go with like a HD5750 (that's just because AMDs go good with radeon cards.)
How much are you willing to invest in the machine? What's the case like, space and cooling?
I didn't think any quad cores fit my mobo..

Well last night I ordered 2 more GB of corsair heatsinked DDR RAM. Thatll bring me to 3. In his drugged idiocy, my "friend" that built and sold me the computer- im pretty sure- fucked up one of the RAM slots. It only had 4 to begin with, so i think my max might be 3 GB now. That RAM, with tax was 70 bucks.

For now, I kind of jst want a stop-gap measure. Im really only willing to invest like another 100 or so tops. I was reading last night, and discovered that socket 939 is a COMPLETELY outdated platform, as is most of the stuff on this comp. Unless the graphics card youre talking about is pretty cheap, Ill probably keepo the 9600 for now...at least until I start building a new rig from scratch. Im a complete noob to PC gaming, and the TV I bought is a complete piece of shit anyway, so I dont need cutting-edge graphics.

So yeah... now im pretty much just trying to figure out the best performance I can get in a CPU for the least amount of money...?

Oh..and the case is pretty big. Its a..."thermaltake", and it looks like its got three fans going. The inside is pretty spread out too, so I dont see anything getting very overheated. As a matter of fact, I think Ive had the comp running non-stop for like 2 weeks now, with no problems.

thx for ur help Robrosky
Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Duke

yeah.... not a single part of that is top-notch or even close.

go dual core, 3GB+ memory, and a good graphics card.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGR 100 View Post
yeah.... not a single part of that is top-notch or even close.

go dual core, 3GB+ memory, and a good graphics card.
Grrrrr... I am COMPL:ETELY aware of that at this point.

I dont suppose youd care to point me to a decent 939 dual core for under- say- 90 bucks?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Count

Send a message via MSN to Raziel Send a message via Skype™ to Raziel
Default Re: System Upgrade help plz

Quote:
Help motherfuckers
No.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Duke

Quote:
Grrrrr... I am COMPL:ETELY aware of that at this point.

I dont suppose youd care to point me to a decent 939 dual core for under- say- 90 bucks?
Nah I have a Mac.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Yeah I think I pretty much got it handled. Got 2 GB corsair PC3200 RAM, and I think im gonna buy a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ off of ebay....

Thats about all im really willing to put into this machine.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,139 Posts

Processor: Depends on what kind of socket's on your motherboard. Figure it out, and start looking for processors that fit that socket type. Looking at your processor, chances are you'll be able to find a dual-core processor that'll fit but you might have a hard time finding quad cores that do. Might not even be possible. But don't fret; I've found that the CPU, at a certain point, doesn't really have that much of an effect on gaming/graphics. Your graphics card is way more important.

RAM: I have 8 gigs in my computer. Then again, I'm an animator so I need a lot of RAM. If you want to take advantage of the 64-bit processor, look into getting more than 4 gigs of RAM.

Operating System: If you have 4 gigs or less, then you can stick with 32-bit Windows. If you get more than 4, then dump 32-bit Windows and go for 64-bit. People say there are hacks that'll let 32-bit Windows take advantage of more RAM, but why bother when you can get a fully compatible operating system? You already have a Windows license, so you should just be able to torrent Windows 7 64-bit and install it with your license key. Or you get get 133t and have a dual-boot setup of Windows 7 and a Linux distro of your choice. I love using Linux, but that's your call. I only boot into Windows for certain things, but Linux works for 99% of my needs. And it's generally less resource-intensive.

Graphics card: This will be more important if you do games. Get something with at least 1 gig of RAM and since I just happen to be in Windows right now, I can't look at my processor clock speed, but usually something with at least 1 gig will do. Oh, and go with Nvidia. I used to love the stock ATI card in this one computer I used to have, but I've had trouble installing ATI/AMD card ever since but I never have much trouble getting an Nvidia card to work the way I want it to.

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Give a man religion, and he'll starve praying for a fish.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Funk Drink View Post
Processor: Depends on what kind of socket's on your motherboard. Figure it out, and start looking for processors that fit that socket type. Looking at your processor, chances are you'll be able to find a dual-core processor that'll fit but you might have a hard time finding quad cores that do. Might not even be possible. But don't fret; I've found that the CPU, at a certain point, doesn't really have that much of an effect on gaming/graphics. Your graphics card is way more important.

RAM: I have 8 gigs in my computer. Then again, I'm an animator so I need a lot of RAM. If you want to take advantage of the 64-bit processor, look into getting more than 4 gigs of RAM.

Operating System: If you have 4 gigs or less, then you can stick with 32-bit Windows. If you get more than 4, then dump 32-bit Windows and go for 64-bit. People say there are hacks that'll let 32-bit Windows take advantage of more RAM, but why bother when you can get a fully compatible operating system? You already have a Windows license, so you should just be able to torrent Windows 7 64-bit and install it with your license key. Or you get get 133t and have a dual-boot setup of Windows 7 and a Linux distro of your choice. I love using Linux, but that's your call. I only boot into Windows for certain things, but Linux works for 99% of my needs. And it's generally less resource-intensive.

Graphics card: This will be more important if you do games. Get something with at least 1 gig of RAM and since I just happen to be in Windows right now, I can't look at my processor clock speed, but usually something with at least 1 gig will do. Oh, and go with Nvidia. I used to love the stock ATI card in this one computer I used to have, but I've had trouble installing ATI/AMD card ever since but I never have much trouble getting an Nvidia card to work the way I want it to.
This is a socket 939 mobo, so im not prolly gonna put much more money into this piece o shit than i already have. No, it cant handle a quad core...for SURE. Its outdated, the parts are pricey...its just all around not great. I just want to be able to make it a computer that can run SOME games and such...if even at the lowest settings. N like I said before..tyhis mobo only has 4 RAM slots to begin with, and my friend broke 1, so im down to 3...which is what I have ion it right now. Honestly, I really cant tell a difference with triple the RAM.