Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > There's A Pyro In All of Us

Old 06-27-2011, 06:16 AM
Gas Passer

Default I miss the old days

I miss when I would have nitrocellulose drying in one room, while my fridge was full of reactions vessels with product precipitating out, and constant fresh batches of BP being made up. The hunt to find new chemicals in larger and cheaper quantities, and the excitement of learning that the health food stores finally started carrying erythritol and the hydroponics shops sold bulk nutrients for what they thought was some shady business (little did they know). The thrill of testing out a newly made explosive compound, and hoping your shell would burst evenly at the right height. Watching peoples' eyes light up at what looked magical to them, but even more magical to me. But not only that, I miss having new and inquiring minds interested in learning about the science and art of both high and low explosives.

I don't have the same time I used to, and I get kind of nostalgic and sad when I see my lab gear just sitting there not being put to good use. I guess I've moved on to a different part of my life, but I have yet to find something that really gives me the same joy as my backyard experimenting days.

Who's still around? Who's still carrying on the tradition?
H a r o l d (06-28-2011), My Mom Is Dead (08-12-2011), nuclearrabbit (06-27-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Duke

Default Re: I miss the old days

Not constantly. I still have my lab gear set up and well it's just lying there. I am going to be doing stuff for the 4th if time allows it but your post made me want to go back to the consistent preparation, the smell of the smoke and the spark in your eyes you get when staring at a fresh filtered batch of an HE that needs to dry only to come back to it later and gaze at it with more intensity when you can make out the brilliant crystals. Sigh.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 AM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to nuclearrabbit Send a message via MSN to nuclearrabbit Send a message via Skype™ to nuclearrabbit
Grin Re: I miss the old days

I haven't been home in long enough to be able to do much. I want to make some coffee creamer fireballs for the 4th. The only BP I have is cannibalized from Estes motors.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
My Mom Is Dead (08-12-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Gas Passer

I definitely get more nostalgic when I am visiting at my parents' place since that's where my lab stuff is, this being one of those times. I'm trying to think of some easy things I can do for the weekend. We're talking about bringing it back to the basics. My brother is going to give me some powder from when he'll be reloading rounds, so that's a nice source there. Can't go wrong with some classic green fire. Maybe some fireballs, maybe some fun with sparklers. Any ideas from anyone else?

Last edited by K-9; 06-30-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Serf

K-9 M.D now ?
congrats bro

anyways yeah i miss it to i walk by my closet everyday with my vacuum setup still there my sep funnels beakers and flasks and various others and hurm about it .. i have 17 lbs of BP and 300 feet of 1/8 inch visco in there too i remember a time that would be gone in 2 hours now its been sitting there for 6 months ..

it truly is a sad time to see the past go and the future smack me in the face but i have gained so much wisdom in other fields after leaving the BB scene and not constantly on my computer or reading the msds and first aid labels on every chemicals and cleaner of every store everywere

don't get me wrong i miss it .. but i find my life so busy and full of money making opportunity that I had to put my hobby's aside not to mention i live in a nice big city so location is always a issue ..

thou with a possible move on the horizon and lots of ocean / lake to play with don't be surprised if i don't dabble a bit back into HE a little and perhaps a bit of pure

-W
Old 07-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Baron

Send a message via AIM to Psynthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by warweed View Post
but i find my life so busy and full of money making opportunity that I had to put my hobby's aside
Welcome to the machine.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Modicum of Madness

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,583 Posts

When i get a new job i intend to get active again. I've been meaning to synth picric acid and have been thinking of creating a detonator suitcase. Not a device in a suitcase mind you. Just a suitcase that will house the electronics to detonate devices from a distance.

Plus when i have the money i am going to belgium. (I live in holland btw) and get some professional fireworks and i will make a electronically fired display.

I am really excited about my projects and can't wait to get started.

Last edited by psychomanthis; 08-06-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to nuclearrabbit Send a message via MSN to nuclearrabbit Send a message via Skype™ to nuclearrabbit

If you hapen to come down near the Ramstein area of Germany, lemme know.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 PM

Arrow Re: I miss the old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomanthis View Post
When i get a new job i intend to get active again. I've been meaning to synth picric acid and have been thinking of creating a detonator suitcase. Not a device in a suitcase mind you. Just a suitcase that will house the electronics to detonate devices from a distance.
Basically that's a control box, at least that's what we call 'em around here.
If I were you I'd start out a "wired" box (trying to translate here, gimme a break); ie. a box wired directly to your charges.
I made one myself back in the days and it's worked pretty good on short cable runs, however in reality it isn't really anything more than a souped up nail board in an aluminium suit case with a rapid fire dial besides 10 individual push buttons, and a key switch for the master arm and a few indicator lights.

I've fired from RC boxes before, but they were made by some German company who specializes in that sort of thing and they worked without a hitch, you got a hot/cold indicator on every line out to the charges after they'd been rigged, and we had 72 per control box/fire box set, so it could be a bit problematic to get to charge #38 for example, when the whole place was criss-crossed with thin wires and one charge wasn't connected correctly...
There was one guy in the company (or associated with it, I don't remember) who thought he had it all figured out but his boxes didn't fire or weren't adequately shielded from interference, so they weren't exactly safe...

Oh well, luckily all that's behind me now, on the last couple of jobs we simply just lit by hand and timed our ignitions with hand signals, so much easier and no more laying out mile after mile of wire.

Sorry, got a bit off track there, build a wire box, don't bother with RC stuff just yet - there's tons of possibilities to fuck that up unless you make those systems for a living...

Just my two cent...
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Baron

Send a message via AIM to My Mom Is Dead Send a message via Yahoo to My Mom Is Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearrabbit View Post
The only BP I have is cannibalized from Estes motors.
Hits a special memory for me, brah.
Better times than these.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Modicum of Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARP View Post
Basically that's a control box, at least that's what we call 'em around here.
If I were you I'd start out a "wired" box (trying to translate here, gimme a break); ie. a box wired directly to your charges.
I made one myself back in the days and it's worked pretty good on short cable runs, however in reality it isn't really anything more than a souped up nail board in an aluminium suit case with a rapid fire dial besides 10 individual push buttons, and a key switch for the master arm and a few indicator lights.
That's exactly what i intend to build but when you say "souped up nail board" that kind of hurts my feelings i think it will be really fucking cool to have a suitcase like that but you made it sound a bit so-so

Quote:

I've fired from RC boxes before, but they were made by some German company who specializes in that sort of thing and they worked without a hitch, you got a hot/cold indicator on every line out to the charges after they'd been rigged, and we had 72 per control box/fire box set, so it could be a bit problematic to get to charge #38 for example, when the whole place was criss-crossed with thin wires and one charge wasn't connected correctly...
There was one guy in the company (or associated with it, I don't remember) who thought he had it all figured out but his boxes didn't fire or weren't adequately shielded from interference, so they weren't exactly safe...

Oh well, luckily all that's behind me now, on the last couple of jobs we simply just lit by hand and timed our ignitions with hand signals, so much easier and no more laying out mile after mile of wire.

Sorry, got a bit off track there, build a wire box, don't bother with RC stuff just yet - there's tons of possibilities to fuck that up unless you make those systems for a living...

Just my two cent...

Cool story and thanks for your input. When i do make a rc rig i will use professionally constructed components and build something from that. I would make one just to fire a single device for use with a HE charge.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Baron

Sometimes I miss the old days as well (which is probably why I stuck my head in this forum this evening.) But as we grow older, most will move on to other things to do whether it be a career, family or a different hobby. It's just how it goes with such an... unusual activity as this.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Baron

Send a message via AIM to My Mom Is Dead Send a message via Yahoo to My Mom Is Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumD View Post
unusual activity as this.
Progressive science should never be "unusual." It's a sad age we live in.
iMagiNation (11-30-2011), inb4lock (09-03-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Thumbs Up Re: I miss the old days

Quote:
That's exactly what i intend to build but when you say "souped up nail board" that kind of hurts my feelings i think it will be really fucking cool to have a suitcase like that but you made it sound a bit so-so
Sorry 'bout that.

But it's pretty much the truth, of course it does have a few more safety features than just a regular nail board, and of course you do have the option to store crimping tool, connectors, wire cutters, connection tester and so on, but all in all it does the same as the good ol' trusty nail board.
However, it doesn't look nearly as ghetto, and those around you doesn't become nearly as uneasy as you look more like a pro when you open up that bitch and hook up the wires in the quick connectors instead of just wrapping them around a bunch o' nails hammered into a plank.

Quote:
Cool story and thanks for your input. When i do make a rc rig i will use professionally constructed components and build something from that. I would make one just to fire a single device for use with a HE charge.
You're welcome, and good luck.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Archduke

This is blood for blood and by the gallon. These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back! There's no choice left. And I'm ready for war.

The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
My Mom Is Dead (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Baron

Thumbs Up Re: I miss the old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by i poop in your cereal View Post
This is blood for blood and by the gallon. These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back! There's no choice left. And I'm ready for war.

Sheeeet, mah niggah. I've been memorizing Frank Miller and Rorschach quotes for months so I can smoothly modify them and drop them in "normal" conversation. Thanks for fucking adding one, asshole.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Malkavian

Thanked 5,605 Times in 3,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
I miss when I would have nitrocellulose drying in one room, while my fridge was full of reactions vessels with product precipitating out, and constant fresh batches of BP being made up. The hunt to find new chemicals in larger and cheaper quantities, and the excitement of learning that the health food stores finally started carrying erythritol and the hydroponics shops sold bulk nutrients for what they thought was some shady business (little did they know). The thrill of testing out a newly made explosive compound, and hoping your shell would burst evenly at the right height. Watching peoples' eyes light up at what looked magical to them, but even more magical to me. But not only that, I miss having new and inquiring minds interested in learning about the science and art of both high and low explosives.

I don't have the same time I used to, and I get kind of nostalgic and sad when I see my lab gear just sitting there not being put to good use. I guess I've moved on to a different part of my life, but I have yet to find something that really gives me the same joy as my backyard experimenting days.

Who's still around? Who's still carrying on the tradition?
Oh the old days, when you were a mod on bombshock and totse trolls were constantly attacking that place. What happened to some of the other bombshock regulards by the way? I figure you might be in touch with some of them. Tell xpl0siv Snoopy said "hi".
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Serf

for old time sakes...

fuck you snoopy

</end>
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Knight

Hell I haven't been back hear in a LONG time! I miss the old days too. Popped in tonight (I guess it's morning now) with a bout of insomnia. Brief update: I've got a degree in chemistry now but have not done any pyro-related stuff for several years. I gave up on all HEs except the occasional nitrocellulose several years ago, once domestic and international terrorists started using the same stuff we talk about on here all the time to kill other people (soldiers and civilians alike). Every time I'd think about synthing AP, NG or something new, I'd get a sinking feeling in my stomach knowing that the same sites that I knew about were probably being used by terrorists too. I think Andyboy shut his web site down because he started getting lots of hits from the middle east. This was a long time ago, though; mid 2000s! But just a few days ago two guys were arrested in Berlin:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14834280
The article says they were arrested for buying large quantities of "coolant and an acid used in agriculture"—obviously glycerin and nitric acid, to make NG. I'm afraid there's no escaping it, really. It is strange to think that most people don't realize that the ingredients for acetone peroxide are in the medicine cabinets or garages of nearly every house in America! Nail polish remover, h2o2 and a dash of the right drain cleaner or battery acid and you're in business.

Anyways, I kept up with more mundane "fun" chemistry and "pure pyro"—fountains, flash powder, a little experimentation with rockets and shells—at home for a while, but school and other commitments took over. Heck of a lot harder to test out devices at a university! I've still got all my lab gear, etc, sitting around. I might get back into pure pyro once I've got a stable job and some free time (and a nice place in the woods, perhaps an isolated beach...). Even then I'll need my own place. I imagine roommates wouldn't take kindly to beakers and flasks sitting around.

Anybody else around? What's new? How's life?

But it's good to see the old guys are still swinging by once in a while. I'll admit, going through the motions academically has deadened the fun of chemistry for a while. I got to do some pretty neat research (solar technology), but it's tedious, repetitive, and not NEARLY as cool as mixing powders or testing devices.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Malkavian

Quote:
for old time sakes...

fuck you snoopy

</end>
Hey warweed remember when you were in jail? lol during that time I did a lot of clubbing, cocaine and bitches in the butthole. Good times, good times. What did you do?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel owl View Post
I think Andyboy shut his web site down because he started getting lots of hits from the middle east. This was a long time ago, though; mid 2000s!
That was around the same time I permanently pulled my site (for the same reason,) 05 or maybe 06 IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom Is Dead View Post
Progressive science should never be "unusual." It's a sad age we live in.
Lets be honest, most of this "progressive science" should really be termed "fucking around and having fun." I'm not saying none of this counts as scientific, but another batch of MEKP or BP isn't exactly groundbreaking.

Last edited by MediumD; 09-08-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumD View Post
Lets be honest, most of this "progressive science" should really be termed "fucking around and having fun." I'm not saying none of this counts as scientific, but another batch of MEKP or BP isn't exactly groundbreaking.
Maybe not exactly "progressive" for science at large, but upping our own skills has become much more dangerous legally than it is towards the personal safety of ourselves or others.
As for the fucking around and having fun part, why the hell else would we do it?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Modicum of Madness

Quote:
those around you doesn't become nearly as uneasy as you look more like a pro when you open up that bitch and hook up the wires in the quick connectors instead of just wrapping them around a bunch o' nails hammered into a plank.

You're welcome, and good luck.
That reminds me of a time when i was with my buddy who absolutely doesn't get uneasy around home-made explosives. Quite the contrary. He thinks it's not all that dangerous and shit. So we were in a field and i had a ANNM charge and i placed it ontop of something that used to be an old kind of park bench made of reinforced concrete. Then we got the fuck away from it and i initiated it. He was like well that wasn't really hard so we go to the bench to find a slab of about 10 by 10 inch completely blown off. So i tell him still think that wasn't hard? And he just like lol
Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 AM

Arrow Re: I miss the old days

^^Some people apparently won't take your word for it, when you tell them that "this little thing could cost you a few fingers, the big one I've got over there could easily divide you up into several pieces and scatter you over several square meters"...

Now, personally I don't work with HE's, but as far as I'm concerned there can easily be more than enough power in LE's to present a threat - usually when I work with LE's in potentially life threatening amounts it's because I'm riggin' up or setting off a professional show, when I work with them in small amounts it's usually because someone needs a very specific effect (bullet hit on person, bullet hit in wall, electrical malfunction, light flash, loud boom, etc.) but whatever the case, I always pay close attention, and I always respect the materials I'm working with and their potential destructive capabilities...

People who don't, shouldn't mess around with them, it'll only end in tragedy...
But I guess that's how most of us posting here feels...
Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Modicum of Madness

Quote:
^^Some people apparently won't take your word for it, when you tell them that "this little thing could cost you a few fingers, the big one I've got over there could easily divide you up into several pieces and scatter you over several square meters"...

Now, personally I don't work with HE's, but as far as I'm concerned there can easily be more than enough power in LE's to present a threat - usually when I work with LE's in potentially life threatening amounts it's because I'm riggin' up or setting off a professional show, when I work with them in small amounts it's usually because someone needs a very specific effect (bullet hit on person, bullet hit in wall, electrical malfunction, light flash, loud boom, etc.) but whatever the case, I always pay close attention, and I always respect the materials I'm working with and their potential destructive capabilities...

People who don't, shouldn't mess around with them, it'll only end in tragedy...
But I guess that's how most of us posting here feels...
I totally agree. Safety first, LE's or HE's you need to have respect for that shit. Explosives get easily offended and when they do you're gonna' get hurt...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Hey warweed remember when you were in jail? lol during that time I did a lot of clubbing, cocaine and bitches in the butthole. Good times, good times. What did you do?

Me ? oh i was not busy being a worthless coke addict and more so planning my future I now own and operate several successful company's making good money and oh yeah still fucking the bitches but cheers for asking
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Malkavian

Quote:
Me ? oh i was not busy being a worthless coke addict and more so planning my future I now own and operate several successful company's making good money and oh yeah still fucking the bitches but cheers for asking
For a minute there I thought you operated several companies.

loser
Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Exclamation Re: I miss the old days

How about not turning this thread into a shit flingin' contest, it's hardly appropriate as we already have forum for pissing each other off!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Malkavian

Hey shut up. Me and warweed go a long way back. And K-9 too. In a thread about reminiscence, we reminisce. Not all memories are bubbly little happy mushy super duper ones.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Exclamation Re: I miss the old days

Quote:
Hey shut up.
You seem to have misunderstood the concept, you don't tell me to shut up, it's the other way round when there's shutting up to do.

Quote:
Me and warweed go a long way back. And K-9 too. In a thread about reminiscence, we reminisce. Not all memories are bubbly little happy mushy super duper ones.
I don't disagree, but your posts have taken on a rather personal tone and doesn't really come off as being constructive contributions, but more as something I'd describe as "lashing out at other posters in a specialist forum", possibly for reasons who might hold a great deal of importance to you, but happens to be utterly irrelevant to the rest of us.

So, if you plan on carrying on, I'd advice you to use the PM system instead of using this thread to throw around your insults.

Thank you very much!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Malkavian

U MAD?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Serf

Last edited by IsItWorthIt?; 01-17-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Serf

It sucks man, working life and responsibilities has sucked out my soul. The day I sold all my glassware is one of by biggest regrets, it was part of my past life, it broke my heart and its something I will never get back.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Modicum of Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordek View Post
It sucks man, working life and responsibilities has sucked out my soul. The day I sold all my glassware is one of by biggest regrets, it was part of my past life, it broke my heart and its something I will never get back.
I would never sell my glassware, nor do i ever plan to give up this wonderful hobby of mine. I may be taking it slow because of my responsibilities but i plan on doing this for a long time to come.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Gas Passer

Nice to see some people are still kicking around here. Especially Snoopy.

I've gotten started with my first year of residency. A lot of months in a row on medicine floors which is a lot of bitch work. And now I'm starting a month of emergency medicine which will hopefully be fun. And come July I'll be starting anesthesia which is what I'm really looking forward too.

I definitely miss having free time for the hobby. Anyone doing anything fun?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
"Al"

Thanked 1,413 Times in 961 Posts

My two pound AP shaped charge kinda stopped me from making HEs for a long time... I got a heads up phone call from a friend and most of my lab was tossed and burned before they got there... Some of it was actually still exploding when the cops pulled in.

I was given the option of keeping my guns and not playing with HEs anymore or going to jail so I took option one... Since then I've accumulated over twelve thousand dollars worth of various equipment for the reasonable price of $900 for most of it (guy went out of business and I was the only interested buyer).

So as of currently I'm actively looking for land and when I do manage to get my chunk of earth I'm thinking I'm going to build an underground house and have a field full of craters and memories.

Guys gotta have dreams.

Al