Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Neurons & Needles

Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Default Re: How do I reset my sleep cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthrax View Post
Also, it sounds to me like you need a job. Get hired on as a laborer with a construction company, particularly masonry. You will get up before the sun rises and after you work all day, you will go to bed at sun set.

It will give you a reason to go to bed and a reason to get up, plus it puts some money in your pocket and gives you a sense of worth.
I seriously doubt I could get a construction job, i'm so unfit. Also my CV is almost non-existent.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Grandest Duke

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
I seriously doubt I could get a construction job, i'm so unfit. Also my CV is almost non-existent.
Go for unskilled laborer. After a year they'll hire you on as a skilled one as an apprentice, then journeyman until you get the big bucks. Will take time but it's worth it if you have no other option.

http://zoklet.net/bbs/showpost.php?p=2252485&postcount=34 - Where My Avatar Came From
http://bbs.zoklet.net/bbs/showpost.php?p=4601933&postcount=142 - Myers Being A Faggot
Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Peasant

Take stimulants in the day and don't let yourself fall asleep until your bedtime, then take sleeping pills at night.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Archduke

Thanked 1,485 Times in 1,119 Posts
Grin Re: How do I reset my sleep cycle?

Last edited by 1337; 07-30-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,759 Posts

I have read that changing more than an hour/day can be really stressful.

When I need to adapt from sleeping in and/or getting up when I feel like it, to getting up early to work a show, I get up an hour earlier than usual and go down an hour earlier than usual for a few days before the show.

Still, I sometimes require some mild stims to function at what passes for my "peak" these days.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Marquis

I've found staying up to the next night and going to bed earlier than usual(say 2-3 hours earlier) works ok for a few days...then I just end up going back into the old routine, later and later each night until I'm going to bed a 6/7/8/9/10am and waking up at 3/4/5pm....then I can autopilot and turn the alarms off, which isn't exactly helpful.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Knight

In combination with the stim/ sleep med approach, I've heard that if you don't eat anything for 12-16 hours before the time you want to wake up and then eat breakfast when you wake up helps to reset your circadian rhythm. I've never tried it but it sounds plausible.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:25 AM
Wealthy Merchant

You do it with food. Pick the time you want to wake up. Set the alarm for about 15 minutes after that. Before going to bed, place a handful of almonds or similar low-glycemic unprocessed food next to your area of sleep. As soon as the alarm rings, FORCE yourself to eat that. Do this for 3 days. On the 4th, you will wake up before the alarm. You are programming your body to expect food at a certain time. Body gets used to being hungry at 8AM, it wakes up cuz it's scared shitless of dying from hunger. Get up and hunt.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Forums are awesome. Ask a question and get 20 completely different answers. Nice one!

Anyway it's been a bit better the last few days, still all over the place but at least am generally being awake in the daytime and asleep at night.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Well in the ongoing saga of my retarded sleep cycle, last night I turned the pc off at 11pm and sat in bed reading for a couple of hours instead. Felt pretty good about that until I tried to sleep and I couldn't for the life of me. I think maybe the book I was reading was too exciting or something, it's one of my old favourite sci-fi epic ones.

Anyway, so cue trying to sleep, reading for a bit more, trying to sleep, pacing around my flat fiddling with stuff, lying there listening to soft music, sorting out my Yugioh cards, creating some weird fantasy about my mother's funeral and crying about how sad I would be (who the fuck does that? She's not even 60, that might be in 20 years time!!)

Anyway eventually I got to sleep at like 8am and slept for not more than about 2 hours before the gas boiler man came to repair the boiler (he didn't do shit and they won't replace it with a new one). Then I didn't do much all day, I felt like I should wash and go out, but I hate being outside with hardly any sleep, it makes my paranoia even worse. I felt like sleeping in the afternoon, but I thought I should stay up and go to bed at night.

Now it's 11:40 and I don't really feel tired at all. Well sort of, but i'm in that kind of weird floaty mode where you just don't care about sleep or anything.

I think the thing I have the most problem with trying to go to sleep is, when you turn off the lights and any stimulation, it's hard as shit to block out all those bad thoughts, you know? I lie there and think back to shitty awful memories, of being in hospital, and embarrassing things i've done, and I kind of freak myself out a bit.

Also the other night I had this completely fucked up dream where I yawned really wide and somehow the whole bottom row of my teeth came out. Then I was just carrying them around loose in my mouth for a while, like I didn't want to spit them out cos then i'd have to get dentures at age 25. Eventually I pulled them out to look at them and they were all blackened and rotten and disgusting. Who the fuck has dreams like this? I hate my mind.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Archduke

Everyone deals with this. Niggas ain't got time for sleeping anyway, just stay up and enjoy the computer. Then go out in the morning, if you stay home you'll fall asleep again.

trust me when I tell you I'm the king of messed up sleep patterns. Lost countless jobs cause I just wanted to stay up gaming all night, then sleep and tune off the world for 12 hours.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 PM

I stay up for days, then sleep for a full day or 2 - reset.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Duke

This works to get your sleep cycle back into order. Drink a shit load one night, pass out wake up the next day with a mad hangover whenever you like, don't sleep or nap the whole day and by the time 10 pm oclock or 12 am comes, your already tired enough that you can sleep. Or if you don't want to do something like that, stay up all night one night then fall asleep at 10 pm the next day. Should get it back in order.

Last edited by Yurpen; 04-15-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurpen View Post
This works to get your sleep cycle back into order. Drink a shit load one night, pass out wake up the next day with a mad hangover whenever you like, don't sleep or nap the whole day and by the time 10 pm oclock or 12 am comes, your already tired enough that you can sleep. Or if you don't want to do something like that, stay up all night one night then fall asleep at 10 pm the next day. Should get it back in order.
That kind of works although it's hard as hell to stay awake during the day after you didn't sleep all night. And then you're majorly sleep backlogged, which takes quite a few days to get over.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Marquis

Forget everything I just said, my body decided that Friday and Saturday nights are good nights to set the "normal sleep time" to 2 hours, then Sunday and Monday nights I ended up with 6 each.

Sleep cycle? More like "non-sleep cycle"
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Duke

my sleep schedule sucks but this is very bad.

Without a good sleep schedule it becomes hard to eat right and to feel good
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Duke

I've had that problem before, though not nearly as bad as yours. It gets depressing after a while also, it's really not good for you.

Set an alarm clock to get up earlier. You wrote 8 PM, shit try waking up at 5 or 1 in the afternoon. It takes a little time and due diligence, but it's extremely worth it. I've learned to love the early morning and having a whole day of beautiful, beautiful sunshine.

Do you work or go to school?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 PM
PROOTS

Thanked 2,251 Times in 1,527 Posts

Try to avoid using the PC before bed. Give yourself at least an hour where you're not staring into a light source (Computer, T.V., etc) to unwind each night.

What's a normal day for you like? School? Job? Anything like that? What's your normal schedule like?

To reset your sleeping schedule stay up for a full 24 hours. Then, when you can hardly stay awake anymore - go to sleep at let's say 10:00pm. Set your alarm for 8:00am. Wake up. You might feel tired, despite getting enough sleep - but, fight through it. After a few days of this, your body will fall into it naturally.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post

To reset your sleeping schedule stay up for a full 24 hours. Then, when you can hardly stay awake anymore - go to sleep at let's say 10:00pm. Set your alarm for 8:00am. Wake up. You might feel tired, despite getting enough sleep - but, fight through it. After a few days of this, your body will fall into it naturally.
+1

Sent from university computer
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proots View Post
Try to avoid using the PC before bed. Give yourself at least an hour where you're not staring into a light source (Computer, T.V., etc) to unwind each night.

What's a normal day for you like? School? Job? Anything like that? What's your normal schedule like?

Yeah I did that yesterday. Worked out ok, got some sleep last night, woke up early and went for breakfast in a cafe and a walk. It's now lunchtime and i'm tired as shit though, dunno if i'll be able to resist a snooze this afternoon.

I don't really have a normal schedule, and no I don't have a job or school or anything to actually get up for. It's pretty shitty.

Also, the thing of turning off the tv or computer in the evening before bed often doesn't work for me. I can have an evening with just reading or maybe a small amount of tv and i'll go to bed and turn off the light and my mind will start fizzing and popping away with bullshit, and I can't stop it. Often those nights I won't get any sleep at all.