Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Neurons & Needles

Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Count

Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,048 Posts
Thumbs Up How do I pull a tooth out at home?

Last edited by Fox Paws; 07-31-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 5,154 Times in 3,325 Posts
Default Re: How do I pull a tooth out at home?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Knight

you could try using a pliers, but wisdom teeth have sum serious roots so ya might end up leaving pieces behind. otherwise make sum calls 2 find either a cheap/free clinic, or if you have a "learning college" where students work on you for free with a licensed dentist observing. good luck though cuz teeth pain is the absolute worse pain there is.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 5,154 Times in 3,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia View Post
you could try using a pliers, but wisdom teeth have sum serious roots so ya might end up leaving pieces behind. otherwise make sum calls 2 find either a cheap/free clinic, or if you have a "learning college" where students work on you for free with a licensed dentist observing. good luck though cuz teeth pain is the absolute worse pain there is.
In all seriousness, you need to consider this. Wisdom teeth can often be impacted and if they are impacted badly enough even a skilled oral surgeon removing them can wind up with fragments being broken off and requiring additional extraction-- it happened to me when I had all four of my wisdom teeth out back when I was 17 and when I came out of the anesthesia I was in HORRIBLE pain despite the drugs.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Banned

Why not go to the dentist, fill out the form with false info, get the tooth removed then walk out afterward without paying?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
PROOTS

Thanked 2,251 Times in 1,527 Posts

Go the dentist. Even assuming you manage to pull the tooth out - there are so many things that can go wrong before, during and after the extraction, it isn't even funny. You're going to end up paying out the ass in medical bills anyway.

Might as well bite the bullet and take the hit now - seeings as if you let this wait and your teeth shift, or you fuck up extracting it - you're going to get slammed with bills, anyways. Getting your wisdom teeth removed is expensive - but, it's a lot less expensive than operating on your whole jaw because your teeth shifted, or sitting in a hospital for a week with an infection.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Sing me something soft...

Youtu.be

Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Count

Actually from the sound of what you're describing could be impacted wisdom teeth already if they have been at that cutting stage for months and now has become increasingly painful and sensitive. I was lucky I only had 2 bottom wisdom teeth but they were both impacted but came out rather easily for some reason.

Dear god man do not get it infected or let dry socket occur because you will need a medical professional. Infections are messing and possibly life threatening but dry socket requires the socket to be wet and packed with this clove gauze that's 10x worse than getting both the teeth pulled and getting no pain killers after the pull.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
fondue pot

Dentists in my area only charge about $50 for an extraction. I don't know what the prices are in your area though. Have you even ask? It might be cheaper than you think. And wisdom teeth are a little more complicated to remove by yourself then a regular molar or bicuspid.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu3d View Post
Dentists in my area only charge about $50 for an extraction. I don't know what the prices are in your area though. Have you even ask? It might be cheaper than you think. And wisdom teeth are a little more complicated to remove by yourself then a regular molar or bicuspid.
For fucks sake, It cost me damn near 2gs for 2 impacted lower wisdom teeth without medical.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Wealthy Merchant

dude the oral surgeon had to put so Mich force into pulling mine out, i doubt you can do it yourself because its so stuck in and so far back man. its also gonna hurt like hell you aren't going to even want to talk, and bleeds profusely. I wouldn't recommend trying it.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
PROOTS

Death Snuggle and WeezyJ make some good points.

Seriously, man. Don't even attempt this. Just get it taken care of now. Cut your losses. If it was a regular tooth that was hassling you - maybe, maybe you could get away with it. But a wisdom tooth? Isn't going to happen.

How do you plan on stitching up your gum once the tooth is extracted? Will you be using sterile tools? What if you get a dry socket? What if you get a full body infection? What if you fuck it up, majorly - which you probably will?

Avoid it. Like I said, cut your losses - take the hit and get it taken care of or it's just going to end up costing you a dickload more in the future. I know I sound like a broke record, but I really can't stress any of this enough.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
fondue pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Snuggle View Post
For fucks sake, It cost me damn near 2gs for 2 impacted lower wisdom teeth without medical.
Look into discounted medical programs. I enrolled into one here and had a root canal done for 70% off the usual price.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Duke

Know any animal vets? They might be able to do it for you free or on the cheap, although if it goes bad you're in some nasty shit.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 AM
holier than thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Paws View Post
Can you [grift dentists]?
Probably not. My dentist required payment before removing my wisdom teeth.
A monk asked Tozan, "How can we escape the cold and heat?" Tozan replied, "Why not go where there is no cold and heat?" "Is there such a place?" the monk asked. Tozan commented, "When cold, be thoroughly cold; when hot, be hot through and through.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 AM
Howie Hubler

Thanked 1,089 Times in 659 Posts

writing a bunk check might get the operation done. This is considered an operation btw, and it wont go well if you try to do it yourself
Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,898 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
That's what I thought.

I'm actually leaving the country at the end of the month so I was thinking worst case scenario I could just give all my real info then skip town, and they couldn't really do shit.

That would definitely not be the smart thing to do though, long term
where are you going? if its back home to thailand then they got really cheap healthcare.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,402 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu3d View Post
Fuck that, 50 bucks? Nobody on zoklet has over 100 bucks to their name.

1. Buy a 10 dollar cask of wine and down it.
2. Tug at that motherfucker.
3. ???
4. Profit.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,898 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
I've never been to Thailand. I was born in the United States.
yea ok buddy.

but srsly hwere are yo u going because healthcare is likely cheaper there.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Serf

Don't do it. Go to a damn dentist. Ask them if they have a repayment option. I'm sure if you're really strapped for cash and your teeth are killing you they will sort something out. No one is going to deny you dental care for impacted wisdom teeth.

The pain you're feeling is most likely nerve pain. Don't put this off. You could develop infection, get a huge abscess and end up with a droopy face from nerve damage. Is that what you want? And wisdom teeth removal is a surgical procedure. No way in hell can you do this yourself.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
PROOTS

Quote:
I was gonna sterilize a pair of pliers in rubbing alcohol and then try it. Maybe gargle some salt water afterward. What's a dry socket anyway?
You can't leave it unstitched, especially in a moist, warm environment like your mouth. If you're going to do this yourself - you need to stitch up your gums when you're done. The wound will never close up and heal in your mouth on it's own, let alone if you're bathing it in alcohol.

Alcohol mouthwash has a high tendency to cause a dry socket. Most dentists advise you not to rinse with mouthwash containing alcohol after an extraction. Salt water, like you said - is your best bet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_socket

Last edited by Proots; 03-16-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
You can't leave it unstitched, especially in a moist, warm environment like your mouth. If you're going to do this yourself - you need to stitch up your gums when you're done. The wound will never close up and heal in your mouth on it's own, let alone if you're bathing it in alcohol.

Alcohol mouthwash has a high tendency to cause a dry socket. Most dentists advise you not to rinse with mouthwash containing alcohol after an extraction. Salt water, like you said - is your best bet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_socket
I hate to tell you but you are full of shit about the stitch. You should have it covered and be sensitive when eating for like a week and then it's cool to leave it open but make sure you get the food out if it gets into the hole because it can rot and cause issue/infection. Just swish well with water/salt water and things should loosen up and come flying out. The hole eventually closes on it's own but does take several months.

Dry socket happens mainly from smoking and the use of straws. I tell you now the pain of having a dry socket packed with that clove gauze is worth giving that shit up for a few weeks.

I know all of this from personal experience.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 AM
PROOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Snuggle View Post
I hate to tell you but you are full of shit about the stitch. You should have it covered and be sensitive when eating for like a week and then it's cool to leave it open but make sure you get the food out if it gets into the hole because it can rot and cause issue/infection. Just swish well with water/salt water and things should loosen up and come flying out. The hole eventually closes on it's own but does take several months.

Dry socket happens mainly from smoking and the use of straws. I tell you now the pain of having a dry socket packed with that clove gauze is worth giving that shit up for a few weeks.

I know all of this from personal experience.
Let me put it to you this way. You're right - you are - stitches aren't a must. You can get by without them. Iin his situation and what he's described I really, really can't tell him to go through with it without stitches. Reason being - if I'm not mistaken, part of his tooth is already exposed. This is going to complicate things. There is always a chance you'll need stitches after a wisdom tooth extraction. I know some people who didn't need them and some who did. The problem is - what's going to happen if he does need them?

Also - I take it you didn't need stitches. Neither did a lot of people I know. This is because the extraction was done by a doctor, with a scalpel, proper tools - and the knowledge and ability to make the extraction as least intrusive as possible. This guy plans on ripping it out with a pair of pliers. He will need stitches. Especially since it's impacted and already breaking the gum line/epithilieum.

And, of course, like you brought up ; a dry socket. That's the last thing he wants. Then again, with all the shit that can go wrong, I suppose a dry socket and stitches are small potatoes. They're the least of his worries, if he's planning to do something this foolish by himself.

Sorry for all my semantics and rambling. I guess, to break it down - it doesn't matter how you look at it. Even if he's impervious to pain and simply looking at it from a financial stand point, going to the dentist might be spending money, but it will save money. He's going to pay for the operation to extract the teeth, or he's going to pay for all the side effects/health risks from extracting it himself.

Last edited by Proots; 03-19-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Baron

I didn't read the whole thread, but fuck.
Just go to a dentist. You could do some serious damage to yourself. Maybe see if you can have some med students do it for cheap or something.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Can you do that?
I always go through the payment stuff after getting the work done. My dental insurance only covers certain things, like a cleaning is covered but to get a cavity filled, I have to pay for part of the cost.

So, yeah I don't see why you can't just not pay and walk out after the procedure.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Duke

Quote:
I was gonna sterilize a pair of pliers in rubbing alcohol and then try it. Maybe gargle some salt water afterward. What's a dry socket anyway?
You *really* need to read up on your teeth before trying to do something like this to yourself. Wisdom teeth are fucking difficult to get at, especially if they haven't erupted much yet like yours, and especially especially if they're impacted.

If you do try this, I'd advise a lot of painkillers, a good mirror and lighting, sterilised surgical pliers if you can get your hands on some.

As for removing it, it's done with a gradual force and a kind of wiggling motion
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Sing me something soft...

The whole thought just makes my mouth hurt and me cringe.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Marquis

lol dude, it leaves a gaping hole about the size of a grape they have to put stitches in
Old 03-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Baron

Send a message via AIM to cronic5 Send a message via MSN to cronic5

If you do end up going through with it, take pictures.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Knight

so wtf did you end up doing?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronic5 View Post
If you do end up going through with it, take pictures.
Even better, please set up a HD video recorder to capture the entire process. And make sure it's fucking HD, I'm sick of shock sites like theync or liveleak having shitty quality, you'd think with all the jihads going on the fucking terrorists would at least be able to buy a camera that can record in HD, they can afford fucking missiles but not a decent camera setup
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Peasant

I recall there was a clinical trial for a medication following wisdom tooth removal- you might want to look around for that. Although you do have to test clean on a drug test. http://www.ppdi.com/study_volunteers/dental_clinic/
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Knight

You don't need the tooth removed. That's what dentists tell you to make money. You need to get rid of the infection or whatever underneath it.

You could just take antibiotics for a week, they'll kill the infection and the pain will be gone. I did this and my half broken wisdom tooth hasn't ached since. That was years ago BTW.

NB, antibiotics have side-effects!

Also wearing a woolen hat to sleep helps for some reason. I don't know why, but works every time for me. Something about keeping your head warm.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Baron

risks totally outweigh rewards here. To do it properly would require a lot of study, some luck, and lots of balls. i actually think it would be easier to just find a way to finance getting it out. I've heard some successful self-surgery stories (like that dude who cut the skin bridges off his dick, forget who), but dental surgery seems like it would be hard as fuck to perform on yourself. I had all mine taken out at once and got to be knocked out with fentanyl, it was relatively painless and worry-free. The amount of painkillers you'd need would seriously inhibit your surgical skills, and just imagining pulling your own wisdom teeth out without proper analgesia seems like a uniquely terrible level off hell. Not to mention they're way the fuck back there, it'd be nuts to try that.

Dental care rly isnt something to fuck around with. A few years ago while i was in rehab my tooth became infected. It happened over a weekend and i couldnt get to see the proper professional until monday. It really was the most excruciating pain i have ever had to deal with. I was rolling around with tears in my eyes begging the nurses to do something because it was so unbearable. All they said was "well if we take you to the hospital all they're going to do is give you opioid painkillers." Insensitive assholes, sometimes painkillers are justified no matter WHO the person is because it's inhumane to deny them relief. The pain started coming more and more often until it was constantly there. The only thing that provided me any relief was constantly keeping ice on it while i waited. The root canal that resulted was a fucking cake walk compared to that. And consider that means a doctor drilling through your tooth to scrape away the nerve with an assortment of needles. So yea, i recommend seeking professional help; i wouldnt want anyone to feel the way i did for those few days.