Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Entertainment > Fragyard

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Default Re: Video games have become uninteresting

Yeah they really need to stop developing every game for seven systems at once, it's awful. I think the success of funding these indie games on Kickstarter might be a bit of a new paradigm where they can just bypass the idiot publishers and get devs to make the games we want.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pee Vee Herman, M.D View Post
Growing old. I can't enjoy games anymore either. Then again I don't enjoy much at all. Maybe I'm broken.
Yep and yep.

Same thing happened to me, and I never ran through tons of game titles so I know it's not from exposure. I missed pretty much every game for the PS1 & 2.

I have a new PS3 I got for free last year after scamming Sony into sending me one and I've only played MvC3 & Catherine on it.

Last edited by Akagi; 03-21-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33% God View Post
Oh here we go again with the "video games are just too boring and maybe I'm growing up" thread again. Fucking get over it. There's nothing wrong with games today. Yes, there are shitty ones put out, but there's shitty music and movies put out every day too. I have over 700 hours put into TF2, just bought Twisted Metal and Modnation Racers on my PS3, and have a back log of games that I wish I could hit the lottery and just sit home and finish them all. Then there's all the games I wish I COULD play, like Starfox and Mario Land on the 3DS, but I don't own the hand held. I've been having fun messing around with the new Mortal Kombat. I didn't even start The Darkness II, all 3 Mass Effects need to be gone through, Bioshock 2 hasn't been touched yet. I have to finish Darksiders 1 before 2 comes out. Trine 2 is still sitting on the PC. Not to mention there's been 2 releases of Silent Hill in the past 2 weeks. I don't have enough time in my life to get to them all.

There's something wrong with you, not video games.
Fire up Donkey Kong Country on SNES with it's original soundtrack designed FOR THE GAME...then turn on a new game and tell me the shitty music and videos that are released today don't comprise a significant amount of the game...and it's tacked on, it dates fast (usually shit before it hits the market) and it adds royalty costs...even though it sucks.

Prime example are motorsport games...they are no different to titles on the SNES...you are still following a path, the only thing different is they are less fun to play, the music is annoying and cheap, and there are 'improved' graphics.

Thanks Sony and Gran Turismo.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Duke

I've never played any of the FF games, probably never will.

I am okay with this.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepht View Post
You guys seem to forget the terrible days when atari and nes were in decline. Games were so bad the entire industry went to shit until snes brought it back. There were shitty games back in the 80's and there's shitty games today. You just have to look for games that interest you. If you find yourself uninterested in games you're playing the wrong ones.
This is true, but partly due to the lack of quality control back then. NES and especially Atari saw a lot of shovelware titles. Still, I think Atari didn't go much farther because they didn't innovate as fast as Nintendo did. The Atari 2600 and 7800 weren't really that different. The 7800 had the advantage of marginally better graphics, but was otherwise the same system with the same controls. Nintendo had game pads and the light gun, and the difference between the NES and the SNES was greater than between the Ataris 2600 and 7800. NES still did suffer from shovelware, which is why Nintendo implemented a level of quality control on games that are released on their system. So gaming started getting cool again with the SNES.

Still, out of both eras, we saw a significant amount of unique games. These days, what we mostly see are graphics-enhanced clones of older FPS/MMO/etc. games with few significant gameplay improvements. Other than switching around control layouts, which apparently fools a lot of gamers into thinking that the games they are playing are "up to date".

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Give a man religion, and he'll starve praying for a fish.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyStar View Post
Fire up Donkey Kong Country on SNES with it's original soundtrack designed FOR THE GAME...then turn on a new game and tell me the shitty music and videos that are released today don't comprise a significant amount of the game...and it's tacked on, it dates fast (usually shit before it hits the market) and it adds royalty costs...even though it sucks.

Prime example are motorsport games...they are no different to titles on the SNES...you are still following a path, the only thing different is they are less fun to play, the music is annoying and cheap, and there are 'improved' graphics.

Thanks Sony and Gran Turismo.

Last edited by L33tz; 03-21-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 AM
Duke

i miss sega dreamcast. fuck sony
Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroMalarki View Post
12 hours a day? Do something with your life dude.
I've never understood zombie gamers who explain their passion as "I love solving puzzles"

Real life is a video game with infinite depth and the puzzles are mind blowing! Why waste time on simpleton tasks of gathering coins to advance in fantasy land?

My car was a piece of shit. So I bought a manual, figured out what was wrong, and fixed it. She runs now; the fixing is ongoing. Seriously though, I didn't know shit about cars and I had to replace the brake master cylinder and learn how hydraulics work. When I figured out the puzzle, my car could stop again [e brake is still useless though]

fun game bro
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Duke

art has a stupidly high learning curve but once you get it, it can be a rather rewarding game. Some people who play it professionally do it for life and literally die at their game station (the creator of peanuts comics)
Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Marquis

video games and depression go together hand in hand. fuck a reality.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Knight

Send a message via AIM to ScaryGary Send a message via MSN to ScaryGary
Arrow Re: Video games have become uninteresting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepht View Post
You guys seem to forget the terrible days when atari and nes were in decline. Games were so bad the entire industry went to shit until snes brought it back. There were shitty games back in the 80's and there's shitty games today. You just have to look for games that interest you. If you find yourself uninterested in games you're playing the wrong ones.
your point isn't wrong and doesn't differ far from my own above, but your facts are a little off.

the NES actually revived home gaming, due to it initially being bundled with R.O.B. and marketed as an electronic toy (and then more so an 'entertainment system'). it wasn't a very long blackout, but it's hard to imagine these days. I wouldn't say 'thanks' to Nintendo; they were just the first to take any clever form of action and that's precisely how they got their big start. so if anything, we've got some pretty great things from them 'thanks' to crash of '83, rather.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Knight

I enjoy playing video games; but the problem is after I play them for a couple days I get bored of them and never play them again. Because of this, I can't justify spending $30+ on new games for a mere few hours of playing. Kinda turns into a vicious cycle.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Loki

Thanked 2,509 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipohippo View Post
Duke, play skyrim now.
Got old quick.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Regular

Thanked 1,341 Times in 810 Posts
Grin Re: Video games have become uninteresting

Quote:
Originally Posted by &Zenith View Post
Got old quick.
It really did.

First ten hours of Skyrim were amazing. And then crawling the same old dungeons with the same old textures and the same old enemies just got dull like a ton of bricks. The quests differ on the surface but all you're ever doing is talking to someone, then schlepping across half the map to talk to someone else or kill something easy. Dragons are boring as hell to fight after the first one, and simple too... all I focused on was two-handed so once the fuckers landed it took about three hits to kill them. That went for pretty much every enemy in the game, I could just walk up to anything menacing and two-hit it once I got powerful enough too. No need for tactics or subtlety, ever. Even the few remaining hard battles (the same old bosses, reskinned) were just 'hack, hack, heal, repeat'. The detail they put into the world was great (I read pretty much every unique book I came across) but once the game gets boring, the setting gets boring too. Once I got bored with it, I wondered why I hadn't got bored with it sooner.

I loved Morrowind, but obviously that was years ago. Skyrim just ended up feeling like doing the same three things again and again and again. And yet, OMG GOTY GOTY GOTY!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Knight

After playing Generic FPS #746 for the 900th time, anyone can get bored with gaming. It's getting to be the same stale old shit over and over and over again. That being said, there are still a lot of good games hiding. They just don't get the fanboy attention that the latest COD or Bethesda RPG does...
Old 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Oh, our bad, our bad. Let me re-phrase. There are no good PC games coming out. Actually, there are no PC games coming out.

Remember back in the day how PC had a ton of exclusive shooters each year? And adventure games? And space-combat-sim games? Remember those genres? They were the shit. Nowadays they don't exist.

Even fucking Diablo 3 is getting a console version. WTF is this shit?
yeah, fuck, my decade old Mac can still play most new games, they just arent fucked to compile a PPC version much more power than the Intel HD 3000 shit they put out these days, what, a Radeon X850 XTX is too weak to play Angry Birds? THE FUCK
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
After playing Generic FPS #746 for the 900th time, anyone can get bored with gaming. It's getting to be the same stale old shit over and over and over again. That being said, there are still a lot of good games hiding. They just don't get the fanboy attention that the latest COD or Bethesda RPG does...
eh the *real* good ones get the attention they deserve, e.g. Unreal Tournament
Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by STD View Post
eh the *real* good ones get the attention they deserve, e.g. Unreal Tournament
Lots of really good, fun games, with unique concepts, get fuck all for attention from the majority of gamers. Take modern day platform games for example, not too many people playing platformers anymore, yet they continue to be some of the funnest most innovative games going in today's market. UT was great, but int he end it's still just another shooter, and most of the older gaming crowd is starting to cool their interest in shooters. They all get to be pretty repetitive after a while.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Baron

They ruin all the new ones
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Marquis

i wish theyd make a remake of Elevator Action

The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Mutant Funk Drink (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Marquis

Thanked 1,263 Times in 750 Posts

I havent really played video games in years, last system I owned was N64. Goldeneye was my shit, I recently stayed with my family and they had an n64 and I played it again, pretty fun. So I decided to go buy the new goldeneye reloaded for my brothers xbox and tried it, it was fun for the first 10 minutes. Sure it has better graphics and shit but all it is, is a dozen guys running at you at a time to gun down, felt like I was playing a war game or something. Not sure what exactly it was missing but it sure wasnt as good as the first one. Thats basicly the extent of my current video game knowlege, but from that expierence I would say yes, video games are uninteresting now.
"Then close your fucking store, because being ready for me will take care of your waking hours ,and you better have someone to hand the task off to when you close your fucking eyes." - Al Swearengen - Bar owner, Whore manager, Boss.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Count

video games aren't fun unless you're high
Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,138 Posts

Fuck yeah, I LOVED Elevator Action. I used to play it on Windows 95 with a MAME emulator, and later I got the Gameboy version of it.

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Give a man religion, and he'll starve praying for a fish.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,197 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Issue313
Thumbs Up Re: Video games have become uninteresting

Quote:
Originally Posted by STD View Post
yeah, fuck, my decade old Mac can still play most new games, they just arent fucked to compile a PPC version much more power than the Intel HD 3000 shit they put out these days, what, a Radeon X850 XTX is too weak to play Angry Birds? THE FUCK

Wait, you want to play modern games on a G4?

Integrated graphics killed PC gaming. Nowadays everyone has a laptop or cheap ass desktop with no dedicated graphics card. They can't keep up with consoles. Consoles are a reasonable and sensible way of gaming, plus they eliminate piracy.

I'm very impressed with some modern games, like Deathspank and Minecraft. Its a great time to be gaming. I'd say golden age, as more and more amazing games are coming out.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

I'm playing Dawn of War II, that's pretty fun.

XENOS FILTH!!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 AM
Sing me something soft...

I picked up armored core five on release day. Amazing fun and addictive game but almost no one is playing compared to some other games I've seen.

Its a ton of fun. I wish they would fix there servers though...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Knight

Exclamation Re: Video games have become uninteresting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexually vulnerable CPR dummy View Post
i wish theyd make a remake of Elevator Action

I'm almost positive they did. VERY recently.

or was it Burger Time?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Knight

Arrow Re: Video games have become uninteresting

http://www.vgblogger.com/wp-content/...Deluxe_008.jpg

BAM, bitches.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryGary View Post