Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,310 Posts
Default Re: the "new" wonder drug

I take aspirin everyday too, along with my weed usually
Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsMerchant View Post
As Shakespeare wrote, "nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so".

In other words, we create our own reality.

"Good" and "bad" are judgmental terms, merely ideas, labels we place on this or that to denote our approval or disapproval. They are arbitrary, and mere artifacts of the ego.
People are far more judgmental than they realize. They're always judging things in the back of their minds and assigning labels to them. They view unaccommodating news as a negative thing, and nobody wants to believe something negative.

"Negative" is a judgment.

The underlying reality is what it is.

Just being aware of that reality without judging it is enough for me.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Marquis

Thumbs Up Re: the "new" wonder drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie_love View Post
2.) Aspirin does not kill your liver, you're thinking of acetaminophen/paracetamol, which people colloquially refer to as "aspirins," primarily because those people are stupid. If aspirin could kill anything, it'd be your stomach lining.
At last, some aspirin discussion; and better yet, it's well-put and true. I know someone who did ruin their stomach lining with aspirin overuse, but that was a bit of an extreme case. It does appear to be a wonder drug for the moment.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Marquis

Thanked 1,089 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMech View Post
At last, some aspirin discussion; and better yet, it's well-put and true. I know someone who did ruin their stomach lining with aspirin overuse, but that was a bit of an extreme case. It does appear to be a wonder drug for the moment.
It's because of its acidity. Of course, back before Mr. Bayer invented aspirin, people took salicylic acid which was murder on your stomach. Nowadays we not only have a less harsh chemical, but also enteric coatings and buffers to protect the stomach. Still not recommend for ulcers and gastritis and stuff though :\
Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM
iLumminati Puppt in a box

Thanked 3,284 Times in 2,270 Posts

ITT: retards all around.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Marquis

This thread got derailed fast
Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Marquis

Confused Re: the "new" wonder drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMagiNation View Post
ITT: retards all around.
I'm puzzled that a certain member, debating with someone who denied the possibility of inhaled cannabis smoke retaining cancer-fighting properties, somehow failed to realize that another member had provided him with two sources and some reasonable extrapolation on just that; and that his opponent also seemed not to notice this. After all the hoo-ha about those silly potheads thinking cannabis wasn't that bad for your lungs, you'd think evidence to the contrary would change some minds or spark some tempers or something.

Last edited by AdMech; 03-23-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 PM
LongDickHipHopPerfection

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,522 Posts

^ in all fairness, I had to click quote on your post to find those links since you just hid them in your text.

Also, the brown university study, whose article in cancerprevention research your link cites cites http://cancerpreventionresearch.aacr...t/2/8/759.full is just one study, with a very limited control group. there are many reasons that their sample could have changed, off the top of my head, lazy stoners spending too much time in their houses and not getting enough sun.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipohippo View Post
They did not use responsibly. Smoke less, gradually go up as you get used to it.

Smoke some weeeeeed man and clam da fuq down

Who said it had zero negative effects?
The guy I quoted in my post claimed weed dosnt damage the lungs. I said that's retarded. It may not cause cancer but from personal experience yes it does damage the lungs.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Grander Duke

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,070 Posts

Aspirin tears up your stomach lining though.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTlauien View Post
I made myself some homemade mexican food for dinner tonight...black beans, red beans, onions, tomatoe, and a bunch of peppers, on some whole grain tortillas, with some coronas...and I swear that the hot peppers(habanero and japanese and others) made me feel high in some way.

I've read that spicey foods can increase the metabolism, and I think that was what I was feeling. It felt almost like a slight cocaine high.

So maybe, someone will extract the 'hotness' from hot peppers, and make it into smokable crack for the ghetto.
I'va actually heard that capsaicin, the spicy shit in peppers, has health benefits.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTlauien View Post
I made myself some homemade mexican food for dinner tonight...black beans, red beans, onions, tomatoe, and a bunch of peppers, on some whole grain tortillas, with some coronas...and I swear that the hot peppers(habanero and japanese and others) made me feel high in some way.

I've read that spicey foods can increase the metabolism, and I think that was what I was feeling. It felt almost like a slight cocaine high.

So maybe, someone will extract the 'hotness' from hot peppers, and make it into smokable crack for the ghetto.
I thnk what
it is, the capscaicin (sp?) promotes production of endorphins.

When we were living in the southwest (Barnard, New Mexico--close to Silevr City), my sweety got kinda strug out on hot food for that very reason.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 AM

Frown Re: the "new" wonder drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by p6867 View Post
No it fucking doesn't.

I seriously wish idiots never found out about that study because it turned from 'in pure form, certain cannabanoids are shown to inhibit cell growth in cancer cells' to, 'smoking weed cures cancer'.

Marijuana is beneficial to cancer patients because it is a treatment for NAUSEA. A side effect of CHEMOTHERAPY. Chemotherapy treats cancer, marijuana treats NAUSEA.
Ingested cannabinoids have never been shown slow to down, impede, kill or in any other way inhibit cancerous cells.
DO YOU FUCKING GET IT NOW?!

I support legalization, but morons getting basic facts wrong and acting like pot is this curative miracle that's going to save us all just makes us all look bad.
I think you just herped so hard you derped. No one needs to make you look bad because you're doing a great job at it.

Sure, cannabis helps with nausea. It also helps pain and depression and insomnia, and a number of other issues. Sure, stoners tout it as some magical cure all but that's only because there's an equal amount of dumb propaganda and misinformation directed against cannabis. There are hundreds of plants on this Earth that have incredible healing properties, however few of these plants are made illegal and have a smear campaign brought against them.

Nutmeg, for instance, is both inebriating as well as medicinal. It is still completely legal and easy to get though, at least in most countries. Cannabis should be treated the exact same fucking way, as an herb and a spice because that's all it is. Same with opium, coca, peyote, mushrooms, and any number of other fucking things.

There are no "wonder drugs" though. It's a marketing tool of industrialized medicine. Cigarettes were at one point advertised by the American Medical Association as being great for all kinds of conditions. Now they say the opposite, although the truth is always more complicated than the simplistic terms painted by marketers.

As for whether weed "cures" cancer, I really don't give a fuck because I'm really quite over the Media's fetish for things that either cause or cure cancer. You know what causes cancer? Listening to fucking people tell you what's good for you.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Serf

Smile Re: the "new" wonder drug

Quote:
Aspirin first became available in pure form in, I think, 1898--APC's came around 15 years later (the ancestor of Excedrin). Mostly first used for pain and inflammation, aspirin became used as a heart attack preventor--I have been taking low-dose aspirin for years.

New research study indicates the stuff may actually prevent and/or treat some forms of cancer.

Sorry I don't have a link, it was on the NBC news last night.
Cool. I used to take tylenol or advil, but recently I use Aspirin for headaches and little pains. It's nice to know if may have other benefits as well
Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Serf

Quote:
No it fucking doesn't.

I seriously wish idiots never found out about that study because it turned from 'in pure form, certain cannabanoids are shown to inhibit cell growth in cancer cells' to, 'smoking weed cures cancer'.

Marijuana is beneficial to cancer patients because it is a treatment for NAUSEA. A side effect of CHEMOTHERAPY. Chemotherapy treats cancer, marijuana treats NAUSEA.
Ingested cannabinoids have never been shown slow to down, impede, kill or in any other way inhibit cancerous cells.
DO YOU FUCKING GET IT NOW?!

I support legalization, but morons getting basic facts wrong and acting like pot is this curative miracle that's going to save us all just makes us all look bad.
^ Totally agree
Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Knight

Has anyone pointed out there are other routes of entry for cannabis other than the combustion of plant matter?

Just seems there are a lot of people crapping on about lung damage...

It's all genetic predisposition and lifestyle, just accept it. Ever think that people with cancer are supposed to die? What happened to survival of the fittest...oh yes lets save this guy who would have naturally died so he can have kids with the same inferior genetic makeup, sounds like a great plan...why not have 4 or 5 kids? Health care has PLENTY of money to make them feel as comfortable as possible when nature takes its cause an assassinates them.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyStar View Post
Has anyone pointed out there are other routes of entry for cannabis other than the combustion of plant matter?

Just seems there are a lot of people crapping on about lung damage...

It's all genetic predisposition and lifestyle, just accept it. Ever think that people with cancer are supposed to die? What happened to survival of the fittest...oh yes lets save this guy who would have naturally died so he can have kids with the same inferior genetic makeup, sounds like a great plan...why not have 4 or 5 kids? Health care has PLENTY of money to make them feel as comfortable as possible when nature takes its cause an assassinates them.
lol yeah basically massively higher cancer rates as compared to 50 or 100 or 200 years ago are all based on genetics, which is why all our ancestors died due to cancer.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:22 AM
Knight

Modern life is fucking cancerous. There is not a damn thing you can do without inhaling a half dozen carcinogens anymore, lol.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Knight

Facepalm Re: the "new" wonder drug

Quote:
lol yeah basically massively higher cancer rates as compared to 50 or 100 or 200 years ago are all based on genetics, which is why all our ancestors died due to cancer.

1. Higher DETECTION rates in first world countries - 'We' know more about cancer now, how to detect it as well as the use of technology to find them...not so much even as little as 50 years ago. And doctors go overboard reporting it, they must get more funding that way - Got a freckle? ZOMG CANCER WE HAVE TO CUT THAT SHIT OUT

2.Have you ever seen an old painting where the women had tumors on their breasts? They are from >200 years ago

3. Life expectancy has increased, a lot of people died of other lifestyle problems before cancer had a chance to get them.

Thanks for the troll image, at least I know straight up you know what an idiot you are...you could have at least made it humorous :/

Last edited by ShyStar; 03-24-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Marquis

Arrow Re: the "new" wonder drug

Quote:
^ in all fairness, I had to click quote on your post to find those links since you just hid them in your text.
Sorry - with my settings, they're highlighted in greenish-turquoise.

Quote:
Also, the brown university study, whose article in cancerprevention research your link cites cites http://cancerpreventionresearch.aacr...t/2/8/759.full is just one study, with a very limited control group. there are many reasons that their sample could have changed, off the top of my head, lazy stoners spending too much time in their houses and not getting enough sun.
That's true - but though it's weak evidence, it is evidence. It's a bit moot, though, since we can just vaporize or eat the cannabis anyway (why take the risk, right?).

Quote:
No, but we should have. It's a good point.

Quote:
You misunderstand natural selection/survival of the fittest. Fitness is defined by number of offspring, no matter how that number is reached. All sorts of tricks are used, in nature, to ensure that it's not just the biggest and strongest who pass on their genes; this is no different. Remember that organisms are fit relative to their environment (a whale would not be very "fit" in the jungle, a tiger would not be too fit in the ocean): since we live in an environment with medical technology, someone who can utilize that and still have a lot of children, even with "inferior" genetic makeup, is adapted to his or her environment, and fit by definition. The vast majority of us would "naturally die" if we were forbidden to use any tools.

Last edited by AdMech; 03-24-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Knight

Quote:
Except aspirin does not make you slow and stupid and paranoid, or damage your lungs, or cost a shitload of money, or get you busted. . . .need I go on?
says the dude sniffing rcs at the local library
Old 03-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Grander Duke

Quote:
1. Higher DETECTION rates in first world countries - 'We' know more about cancer now, how to detect it as well as the use of technology to find them...not so much even as little as 50 years ago. And doctors go overboard reporting it, they must get more funding that way - Got a freckle? ZOMG CANCER WE HAVE TO CUT THAT SHIT OUT

2.Have you ever seen an old painting where the women had tumors on their breasts? They are from >200 years ago

3. Life expectancy has increased, a lot of people died of other lifestyle problems before cancer had a chance to get them.

Thanks for the troll image, at least I know straight up you know what an idiot you are...you could have at least made it humorous :/
yea only reason cancer rates are extremely high, not that im disqualifying modern pollution, it has its casualties, but we as a species are old as fuck.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Regular

Thanked 1,341 Times in 810 Posts
Grin Re: the "new" wonder drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akagi View Post
People are far more judgmental than they realize. They're always judging things in the back of their minds and assigning labels to them. They view unaccommodating news as a negative thing, and nobody wants to believe something negative.

"Negative" is a judgment.

The underlying reality is what it is.

Just being aware of that reality without judging it is enough for me.
Everyone is judgmental. All the time. Our brains have evolved to judge and discriminate extremely efficiently because it's incredibly beneficial.

Your statement is full of negative judgment. You're arbitrarily assigning attributes you consider negative to others. You're taking your own position - that you don't judge other, ha! - as a positive benchmark to judge others by.

We can consciously work to minimize an automatic negative response when we judge people, and as far as I'm concerned we should strive to do so. But everybody judges others. By appearance, by personality, by words, by actions. It's fundamentally ingrained in every person on the planet and claiming you're above it is both arrogant and delusional.

//

People who smoke weed all the time and claim it's harmless are deluding themselves. I've smoked a lot and known a lot of people who smoke a lot, and it doesn't do people many favours. I'm not talking medically... it just saps your motivation and dulls your desire. The vast majority of stoners, whilst typically very mellow people with no malice in them, simply don't have much ambition beyond making enough money to continue getting high a lot. They also get very boring.

It doesn't cure cancer. It doesn't stimulate the brain (people who smoke all the time are almost always pretty dim, which is only annoying when they think it makes them smarter). It doesn't magically cure depression or anxiety. It's a fun drug that you can take a lot with relatively minimal side-effects. Just admit it.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Issue313 (03-26-2012), water bottle (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Happy View Post
Everyone is judgmental. All the time. Our brains have evolved to judge and discriminate extremely efficiently because it's incredibly beneficial.

Your statement is full of negative judgment. You're arbitrarily assigning attributes you consider negative to others. You're taking your own position - that you don't judge other, ha! - as a positive benchmark to judge others by.
Quote:
We can consciously work to minimize an automatic negative response when we judge people, and as far as I'm concerned we should strive to do so. But everybody judges others. By appearance, by personality, by words, by actions. It's fundamentally ingrained in every person on the planet and claiming you're above it is both arrogant and delusional.
It is?

It is.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Regular

Does that response have a point?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Duke

Thanked 1,244 Times in 785 Posts

Keep in mind high doses of NSAIDs such as aspirin CAN cause kidney and intestinal damage as well.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Cassius Clay XVII

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,231 Posts

Thank you for existing, Mr Happy.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by water bottle View Post
Thank you for existing, Mr Happy.
You're sweet, bro
Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Cassius Clay XVII

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,231 Posts
Smile Re: the "new" wonder drug

lol, the true emotions always come out when I come home drunk at 3:30 and decide to post on zoklet
Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Broodingly Rational

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,911 Posts

Both weed and aspirin are great drugs.

Good posts, AdMech
Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 PM
LongDickHipHopPerfection

Quote:
I think you just herped so hard you derped. No one needs to make you look bad because you're doing a great job at it.

Sure, cannabis helps with nausea. It also helps pain and depression and insomnia, and a number of other issues. Sure, stoners tout it as some magical cure all but that's only because there's an equal amount of dumb propaganda and misinformation directed against cannabis. There are hundreds of plants on this Earth that have incredible healing properties, however few of these plants are made illegal and have a smear campaign brought against them.

Nutmeg, for instance, is both inebriating as well as medicinal. It is still completely legal and easy to get though, at least in most countries. Cannabis should be treated the exact same fucking way, as an herb and a spice because that's all it is. Same with opium, coca, peyote, mushrooms, and any number of other fucking things.

There are no "wonder drugs" though. It's a marketing tool of industrialized medicine. Cigarettes were at one point advertised by the American Medical Association as being great for all kinds of conditions. Now they say the opposite, although the truth is always more complicated than the simplistic terms painted by marketers.

As for whether weed "cures" cancer, I really don't give a fuck because I'm really quite over the Media's fetish for things that either cause or cure cancer. You know what causes cancer? Listening to fucking people tell you what's good for you.
Literally all i said is that there's no evidence weed cures or prevents cancer. It's only known use in alleviating the suffering of cancer patients is through its treatment of nausea. What that has to do with cigarettes, the media's fetish with using cancer in headlines, nutmeg or anything else you mentioned i don't know.
Mr.Happy (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 PM
LongDickHipHopPerfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMech View Post
Sorry - with my settings, they're highlighted in greenish-turquoise.

That's true - but though it's weak evidence, it is evidence. It's a bit moot, though, since we can just vaporize or eat the cannabis anyway (why take the risk, right?).
That study concerned non HPV related skin cancers.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Literally all i said is that there's no evidence weed cures or prevents cancer. It's only known use in alleviating the suffering of cancer patients is through its treatment of nausea. What that has to do with cigarettes, the media's fetish with using cancer in headlines, nutmeg or anything else you mentioned i don't know.
It wasn't just what you said it was what you left out of this argument.

Quote:
Cannabis treats many things.

Many of which are relevant to cancer.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,768 Posts

I suppose this thread has been totally derailled by now, with little chance of getting back on topic.

May as well close the sucker.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Duke

Thanked 1,200 Times in 878 Posts
Send a message via AIM to JC Denton Send a message via Skype™ to JC Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipohippo View Post
Weed does not make you paranoid if you are a responsible user
Yes it fucking does. It can make you paranoid regardless of how responsibly you use it. Even when I'm smoking a bong at home alone, I'll get paranoid of ghosts n shit, or people breaking into my house to rob or kill me. This is caused by the dopamine release, which is also what causes psychosis at very high doses, or in users with latent or existing mental disorders - hearing voices of people you think are talking about you.

Quote:
Weed does not damage your lungs
Smoking any plant matter produces tar, and also causes heat damage to your lungs (even with a vape). Of course, orally it won't affect your lungs, but stoners are typically too lazy and impatient to bake some weed brownies or cookies.

Quote:
Weed would be cheaper were it legal
Wouldn't it require taxation and other shit if it where legal?

Quote:
Weed also has alot more health benefits than asprin, and won't kill your liver.
Does it lower blood pressure and prevent heart attacks like aspirin? From what I've heard it can actually cause them in users that are susceptible.

On a side note though, acetaminophen which affects the cannabinoid receptors, is proven harmful to the liver.

Last edited by JC Denton; 03-30-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Marquis

Send a message via AIM to mafiabro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post
I've never experienced paranoia from it.
Some people don't get paranoid, but paranoia is definitely one of the side effects for a minority of people.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Duke

Thanked 1,200 Times in 878 Posts
Send a message via AIM to JC Denton Send a message via Skype™ to JC Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pat-Man View Post
I'va actually heard that capsaicin, the spicy shit in peppers, has health benefits.
I just received a subdermal injection of pure capsaicin a couple hours ago at a hospital for a research study. Other than feeling horrific excruciating and paralyzing pain in my whole arm, I don't feel any different or healthier.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Knight

Taking a blood thinner because you're worried about heart attacks? how about don't eat at mcdonalds and fucking exercise, damn. I know the sedentary lifestyle is the norm here in the states, but that doesn't excuse people from taking care of their bodies.

I'd rather know that my blood will clot if I get injured, thanks. Aspirin has it's side effects, for example it can increase the risk of aneurysms. Weed's side effects are stupidity, which happens to be a necessary tool for survival in our world tailored to the stupid controllable masses. Do drugs, suck at life, and be happy.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMr_duckO View Post
On a side note though, acetaminophen which affects the cannabinoid receptors, is proven harmful to the liver.
no, APAP does not directly effect CB receptors. It is metabolized into AM-404, which is a cannabinoid. APAP does directly cause harm to the liver. woo.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
LongDickHipHopPerfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMr_duckO View Post
I just received a subdermal injection of pure capsaicin a couple hours ago at a hospital for a research study. Other than feeling horrific excruciating and paralyzing pain in my whole arm, I don't feel any different or healthier.
bullshit. Not that it's impossible, i just don't believe anything you say.