Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Neurons & Needles

Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Knight

Default Re: I really want to take up smoking.

^Russia has premium brands now for ~$1.5-2 a pack. Winston, camel, marlboro, no newports but parliaments, and some others. Tobacco is grown there, but blended professionally to be basically indistinguishable. Tried this a few times, brought some back when prices were tipping $7 a pack for premium.

Now the 'other' 95% of true russian smokes are painful. from the dollar 'semi-premium' names to the 10 cent packs of bum papirosa. Bleeeech. I couldn't even give any away. I hear you if that's what you got.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenUzi View Post
^Russia has premium brands now for ~$1.5-2 a pack. Winston, camel, marlboro, no newports but parliaments, and some others. Tobacco is grown there, but blended professionally to be basically indistinguishable. Tried this a few times, brought some back when prices were tipping $7 a pack for premium.

Now the 'other' 95% of true russian smokes are painful. from the dollar 'semi-premium' names to the 10 cent packs of bum papirosa. Bleeeech. I couldn't even give any away. I hear you if that's what you got.

premium brands like winston, camel, newports, marlboro?? Shit, if your (or their) standards were any lower they wouldn't exist. Suppose you gotta be thankful you can get something that wasnt grown in chernobyl huh
Old 03-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Duke

It doesn't matter how 'natural' and 'additive free' it is, it's still horrible for your health. Pure nicotine is also quite bad for you, look it up fools.

It does make you 30% cooler though. Tv said it so I know it's true.

I started smoking when I was trying not to become a compete alcoholic, and that worked pretty well. My respiratory tract has been going downhill since then. That was six years ago and in the last year I've finally reached the point where I only smoke when super stressed instead of 1-2 packs a day. Every time shit gets rough I want a cigarette, and when I give in I love the hell out of it. I'll probably have this love hate relationship with smoking until I die, addiction is like that.

There's a million better drugs out there anyway, the bang for your buck is laughable.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,307 Times in 948 Posts

Blaming cancer on tobacco, the companies, and those who smoke it is unfair to all involved and actually distracts from discussing and solving the problems and causes of cancer.

It actually seems that the number of those who smoke decreased, cancer deaths still grew at the same rate they always have done.
http://web.archive.org/web/200108221...indtobacco.asp

If you're gonna get cancer or heart problems, you're going to get it, regardless of whether you smoke or not. Just spark up and relax.

Smoking is a shameless pleasure for me. I have spoke to a lot more people than I usually would have done due to smoking as well. It's a good ice breaker.

Last edited by King of the world; 03-31-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.W View Post
Also, smoking relaxes you in stressful situations.
Smoking doesn't make you more relaxed or help stress at all, that's one of the biggest fallacies out there. Smokers are more stressed than non-smokers, it does some awful shit to your brain and body.

Sure, when you're a smoker and you have a cigarette, you feel less stressed afterwards, but that's because you're physically addicted to the nicotine. You need it to function normally.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Banned

Thumbs Up Re: I really want to take up smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BITCH TITZ View Post
you seem like a cigar guy. am i right?
Montecristo; loved em ever since I went to the factory in Cuba.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Marquis

I'm on day 2 of no smoking. Feels pretty awful.

I have been punching the freezer for some reason. That feels pretty good. Its all dented now though. Glad its not my fridge.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Knight

Originally Posted by J.P.W
Also, smoking relaxes you in stressful situations.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious captain.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

I fucking love the old cig adverts.

The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
arleybob (03-31-2012), reject (06-06-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Significantly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,744 Posts

Winston tastes good like a cigarette should....
Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM
The Belbet Bog

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,308 Posts

You have my full support and respect if you want to start smoking. Good job on becoming a real man
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned

Pop 75mg asprin daily
Smoke
Eat blue cheese
Eat sweets
Drink booze
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
The Belbet Bog

I can't drink alcohol for the next year, but it's a good thing cigarettes go down well with most everything. Especially coffee.

Holy shit, I could be in a horrible mood and it could be shitty and rainy outside - as long as I have coffee and cigarettes, I can get through anything. Mmm damn, yeah. The flavor of coffee compliments the feeling of smoking, and vice versa. After a nice big breakfast, just sit around and smoke to your heart's content with a big pot of coffee.

Fuck yeah. Tell me you don't feel awesome after that.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

lol wtf op
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the world View Post
I fucking love the old cig adverts.

I especially get a real kick out of this one.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Drunk Motherfucker

now we get pictures of fucked up babies in hospital beds then those nice old photos

i've never seen a pack with those pictures on em sold here though but i heard they were gonna start sellin packs with fucked up photos

Last edited by BITCH TITZ; 03-31-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM
LongDickHipHopPerfection

Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,412 Posts

I've been smoking for about 15 years. I've recently started to have lung pain and the asthma i had as a child has resurfaced. I'm trying to quit and it's fucking hard because i'm addicted to it. Smoking a cigarette doesn't interfere with my day to day life, which makes it easy to justify doing. But you say smoke one a week, which turns into a couple, which turns into a pack. just don't smoke. Shit sucks.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Count

I'm smoking way too much more now than I used to. It bugs me how often I crave one and I want to quit. We can trade.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Bringer of Evil

Thanked 1,748 Times in 887 Posts

You really don't want to start smoking, man. It isn't cool and it loses it's magic after a short while and you're just left addicted to them.

It's not worth your money, time, health, or energy.

http://www.panthraxnation.host.sk | Get Addicted.
Blunderstar (04-02-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Marquis

Google image "lung cancer"
Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Knight

Well excuuuuuse me OINK, but if around here there's smokes (not counting pouches/roll your own... blech) what do you consider premium mass market brands. USA gold? No. 311? no. Other shit under $7-8, can be better.

Premium cigarettes is said by me and people around here to denote top line poisons like marlbs, newprts, camels, american spirits, dunhills maybe? Top shelf doesn't always mean best and it's subjective, but I won't smoke harsh crap unless I had to.

Waste of money? Are some cheaper things better? Of course. But "premium ciggs" carries the same idea as top shelf liquor...mid shelf, and bottom shelf swill $10 vodka. They all have problems but you can get what you pay for.... mostly

Last edited by CitizenUzi; 03-31-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: wrong guy
Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,599 Posts

Back in the 70's at the Museum of Science and Technology they used to have two glass cases with real human lungs in them. In one case was a healthy set of lungs, which were nice and pink, and in the other case was a dead cancer patient's smoker's lungs, which were shiny black all the way across with small white tumors literally sticking right out and a gummy black goo in even darker patches all over. They had each set of lungs connected to two levers, so that when you pushed and pulled the levers the lungs actually expanded and contracted inside the supposedly air-tight glass cases. When you pushed and pulled the levers for the nice pink set of lungs they inflated perfectly left and filled up right to capacity, but when you did the same for the cancerous lungs they only opened partially... one more than the other, and when the one weaker side opened a huge tumor popped out and stuck straight up in the air, and you could actually smell the rotten lungs right through the glass no problem... a sickening small like burnt flesh. It was a pretty wild thing to witness.
Blunderstar (04-02-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SpectraL View Post
Back in the 70's at the Museum of Science and Technology they used to have two glass cases with real human lungs in them. In one case was a healthy set of lungs, which were nice and pink, and in the other case was a dead cancer patient's smoker's lungs, which were shiny black all the way across with small white tumors literally sticking right out and a gummy black goo in even darker patches all over. They had each set of lungs connected to two levers, so that when you pushed and pulled the levers the lungs actually expanded and contracted inside the supposedly air-tight glass cases. When you pushed and pulled the levers for the nice pink set of lungs they inflated perfectly left and filled up right to capacity, but when you did the same for the cancerous lungs they only opened partially... one more than the other, and when the one weaker side opened a huge tumor popped out and stuck straight up in the air, and you could actually smell the rotten lungs right through the glass no problem... a sickening small like burnt flesh. It was a pretty wild thing to witness.
lol 70s
Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Night Operator

Yep, Spec, they really can and do get that bad...It's really gross to see them inside a living person during surgery too! When they are as advanced in their decay as those you described, you can sometimes smell that smoky/decayed smell in the OR. Also, when lungs are that far gone, the patient's beath will permanently reek of smoke and decay. Ugh.

Oh, and to answer your question regarding why you are supposedly in good health even with your long-term smoking...Truth is, nobody knows for sure! No one knows why guy A smokes for only 5 years and ends up with emphysema and dies of lung cancer, while guy B can smoke a pack a day for 50 years and not get cancer. It's any combination of genes, method of smoking, amount, activity level, much more...However, even guy B will EVENTUALLY suffer at least some kind of ill effect (COPD, loss of endurance, diminished capacity to properly ingest oxygen and expel carbon dioxide, etc), even if it takes longer and guy B has more inborn resistance. No matter ones genes, lungs are simply not meant to handle filthy, burning particulate for a lifetime. Just a matter of physiology.
-SpectraL (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderstar View Post
I just have a constant craving to smoke - I don't know if it's subliminal advertising or something
Buy 12mg or 16mg cigarettes. Smoke 1. See how you go. I did that 4 weeks ago, only on my 2nd pack. Got 5-6 smokes left, then I will probably quit again.

So give it a shot, it is good for relaxing thats for sure.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Marquis

I'm gonna have to smoke a cig rite now. I have to go t3h work and I will snap on people in current state. OP I recommend you do not smoke.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenUzi View Post
Well excuuuuuse me OINK, but if around here there's smokes (not counting pouches/roll your own... blech) what do you consider premium mass market brands. USA gold? No. 311? no. Other shit under $7-8, can be better.

Premium cigarettes is said by me and people around here to denote top line poisons like marlbs, newprts, camels, american spirits, dunhills maybe? Top shelf doesn't always mean best and it's subjective, but I won't smoke harsh crap unless I had to.

Waste of money? Are some cheaper things better? Of course. But "premium ciggs" carries the same idea as top shelf liquor...mid shelf, and bottom shelf swill $10 vodka. They all have problems but you can get what you pay for.... mostly

American spirits yeah maybe because they have better quality control and are actually offering you something that makes their product distinguished. Other than that you could consider those brands of specially grown organic tobacco that are supposed to be a lot better for you and for the environment and everything.

Now all the other shit that you mentioned is practically the same fucking thing, its fucking trash tobacco mixed in with the worst fucking shit imaginable. Just because you are paying a lot for them - lucky strikes for example can cost over 7 euros in france, that doesnt mean they are premium. Sure theres worse brands that you could be buying but so what, think about it in other parts of the world where the is none or little anti-tobacco tax they retail for fucking nothing. Their cost of production is very, very close to zero. In those countries they could charge 20 fucking us dollar cents a pack and still make a profit. When you give this little a shit about your costumer that youre pumping the stuff full of carcinogens to make smoking it feel better and thus make it more addictive, you aren't selling premium anything. That's like going to a luxury nightclub and they have this piece of shit plastic chairs that have a 50% chance to flat out break when you sit down on them. You might have gotten sucked into paying a lot to get in but that doesnt make it a 5 stars place if the owners would be happy to serve you dogshit on a plate to increase profit.

The fact that some poor russians somewhere are putting up with a lot worse doesn't make whatever you are smoking the cream of the crop.

Last edited by Oink The Pig; 04-01-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Broodingly Rational

Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,824 Posts

Smoke hash
-SpectraL (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Wealthy Merchant

get nicotine poisoning and see if you want to smoke again.

or just smoke weed thats a good fall back.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Marquis

smoke chewing tobacco through a bong, the water removes most if not all of the carcinogens
Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachosomoza View Post
You don't want to smoke. It's expensive and rots your breath. It's a habit I'm trying to kick myself.
Well said.

Smoking makes you stinky and poor now, sick and possibly dead later.

I quit on May 23, 2003, after smoking for about forty years(stopped using alcohol the same day, btw). One of the most beneficial moves I ever made.

Tach--there is a relatively easy way to quit. PM me for details if you wish.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
The Belbet Bog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsMerchant View Post
Well said.

Smoking makes you stinky and poor now, sick and possibly dead later.

I quit on May 23, 2003, after smoking for about forty years(stopped using alcohol the same day, btw). One of the most beneficial moves I ever made.

Tach--there is a relatively easy way to quit. PM me for details if you wish.
I'd like those details too, please.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleybob View Post
I'd like those details too, please.
share the knowledge.

This is op's warning: This is your warning!
Blunderstar (04-03-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Banned

Smoked a Cohiba Robusto last night; t'was fucking gorgeous and didn't have to pay a penny for it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Significantly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,744 Posts

Ay, the jealousy. Haven't had one of those in years.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,401 Times in 833 Posts

It's really not that big of a secret arms merchant, slowly cut down and taper off the amount of cigarettes you're having per day until you can quit completely.

If you really, really want to quit, you will, simple as that, the reason people don't is that they feel like they're making a huge sacrifice by quitting.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Guardian Immortal

I'd never smoke cigarettes, however I'm partial to a fat cigar from time to time.