Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Entertainment > Music!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,166 Posts
Default Re: Nirvana - Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by is all mememememe with me View Post
tbh best band is always gonna be a matter of opinion really.
Yeah, that's what I was about to say. It was civil here, but I really hate it when people get all butthurt because they think one band better represented the 90s or the 60s or whatever.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Duke

Nevermind is the only cd I listened to. I play it a lot. Everyone keeps saying it wasn't as good, but I think they are just being hipsters about it naming older stuff.

I listened to a few songs posted in this thread and none of them are as good as come as you are/teen spirit

If there are anymore songs like that not on Nevermind give them to me.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE_187 View Post
Nevermind is the only cd I listened to. I play it a lot. Everyone keeps saying it wasn't as good, but I think they are just being hipsters about it naming older stuff.

I listened to a few songs posted in this thread and none of them are as good as come as you are/teen spirit

If there are anymore songs like that not on Nevermind give them to me.
well i'm just gonna letchu know that those are some pretty bold statements up there.

Nirvana - Blew - YouTube

Nirvana - Been A Son - YouTube

(dunno why that has nevermind's album cover, nor have i ever heard that version oh well)

Nirvana - Serve The Servants - YouTube

none of nirvana's other albums really sound like Nevermind because they used a big-time record label producer to record it, the story goes that the producer found out kurt had a huge boner for the beatles, and that's the reason Nevermind sounds so clean.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopping cart for brains View Post
well i'm just gonna letchu know that those are some pretty bold statements up there.

Nirvana - Blew - YouTube

Nirvana - Been A Son - YouTube
(dunno why that has nevermind's album cover, nor have i ever heard that version oh well)

Nirvana - Serve The Servants - YouTube

none of nirvana's other albums really sound like Nevermind because they used a big-time record label producer to record it, the story goes that the producer found out kurt had a huge boner for the beatles, and that's the reason Nevermind sounds so clean.
Normally I don't bitch about quality in music, like a lot of metal people complain about the quality sounds fine to me, but these songs seem like they could have been a lot better, but maybe it's just because I'm listening on a computer instead of a car. I'm gonna download some of these put them on a cd and see
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Duke

Quote:
Normally I don't bitch about quality in music, like a lot of metal people complain about the quality sounds fine to me, but these songs seem like they could have been a lot better, but maybe it's just because I'm listening on a computer instead of a car. I'm gonna download some of these put them on a cd and see
nah, that's pretty much just what the early 90's sounded like tbh.

and of course every song could sound better, but that's sorta not the point of nirvana and the like ya know?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Duke

Quote:

and of course every song could sound better, but that's sorta not the point of nirvana and the like ya know?
No not really. Metal, like black metal ppl usually complain about isn't supposed to "sound good" which is why I don't understand the complaints. Most of it sounds like shit, but even the good ones aren't supposed to sound "pretty". imo Nirvana is supposed to sound good and be catchy.

EDIT: But songs dont sound as good on my computer as in a car, they may be pretty good. I'm hoping they are.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Duke

Quote:
No not really. Metal, like black metal ppl usually complain about isn't supposed to "sound good" which is why I don't understand the complaints. Most of it sounds like shit, but even the good ones aren't supposed to sound "pretty". imo Nirvana is supposed to sound good and be catchy.

EDIT: But songs dont sound as good on my computer as in a car, they may be pretty good. I'm hoping they are.
another thing is that you're just focusing on how nirvana sounds, which isn't really why most people listen to nirvana.

it's like a feeling bro, a nostalgic piece of gold that you might have had to experience at a younger age, like most punk rock
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 AM
The Belbet Bog

Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote:
imo Nirvana is supposed to sound good and be catchy.
I listen to Nirvana for the exact opposite reason.

I prefer their slopper- and shittier-sounding stuff, especially the albums In Utero and Incesticide.

Apparently In Utero was Kurt's personal favorite, and I can see why: it's pure grunge, it's what he was going for with Bleach and Incesticide too. Nevermind is my personal least favorite album because it's so polished and accessible and poppy-sounding. Most songs on that album can be played on any rock radio station and it would sound normal. I don't think that was the point with Nirvana.

Whatever the point was supposed to be, I personally prefer the nastier heavier stuff, like Beeswax or Milk It.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleybob View Post
I listen to Nirvana for the exact opposite reason.

I prefer their slopper- and shittier-sounding stuff, especially the albums In Utero and Incesticide.

Apparently In Utero was Kurt's personal favorite, and I can see why: it's pure grunge, it's what he was going for with Bleach and Incesticide too. Nevermind is my personal least favorite album because it's so polished and accessible and poppy-sounding. Most songs on that album can be played on any rock radio station and it would sound normal. I don't think that was the point with Nirvana.

Whatever the point was supposed to be, I personally prefer the nastier heavier stuff, like Beeswax or Milk It.
Is it so bad that the songs sound normal on the radio though? I love the vibe of nevermind. It just makes me thing of LA in the 90's and surfing and the movie Point Break. (Come As You Are more than any of the others)

@shoppingcartforbrains, it is music how it sounds is a big part of it. As for the lyrics, most of the time they could mean whatever the listener wanted them to.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 AM
The Belbet Bog

Quote:
Is it so bad that the songs sound normal on the radio though? I love the vibe of nevermind. It just makes me thing of LA in the 90's and surfing and the movie Point Break. (Come As You Are more than any of the others)

@shoppingcartforbrains, it is music how it sounds is a big part of it. As for the lyrics, most of the time they could mean whatever the listener wanted them to.
It's not bad, man. But it's not fucking grunge, you know? For a weak comparison, that's like trying to make noise "music" accessible to the general public. It's more of an acquired taste and trying to fit into an easily-accessible mold only cheapens it for the people who like it for what it is.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Goodbye Horses

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gith View Post
One of my least favourite songs of theirs. Second half of Nevermind is a lot better, Lounge Act, Drain You, On a Plain... great songs. Probably prefer Unplugged ... though, like the Meat Puppet covers on that.
the Leadbelly cover is amazing too.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
arleybob (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 AM
The Belbet Bog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloClarice View Post
the Leadbelly cover is amazing too.
I always considered that like the peak of Kurt's career.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 AM
Duke

FYI those aren't meat puppet 'covers' Kurt just sang along while the puppets played
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Baron

datz cliche az fuk dawg.

the only songs i like from nirvana were from his, "incesticide" album.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 AM
Knight

Been A Son! And Polly. And On A Plain.

But yes I'd agree with some of you others - ALICE IN CHAINS wut wuttt
Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Selfish Cunt

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
another thing is that you're just focusing on how nirvana sounds, which isn't really why most people listen to nirvana.

it's like a feeling bro, a nostalgic piece of gold that you might have had to experience at a younger age, like most punk rock
wtf you talking about man? its music, a sound, you listen and either like listening to it or you don't. the only other possible reason you'd like it other than because you like listening to it is maybe because you feel it's trendy among your peers to like it. in that case you should grow some fucking backbone and make up your own fucking mind about what you like. fuck what your friends think, if you need to 'like' music just to be friends with people then they nor you are worth being friends with.
"I have gone through the mental exercise of spending a lifetime in prison and of dying for this cause. I have let the fear pass through me and with clarity commit myself fully to the mission and values outlined in the Silk Road charter". - DPR
Old 04-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Selfish Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by .missblack. View Post
Been A Son! And Polly. And On A Plain.

But yes I'd agree with some of you others - ALICE IN CHAINS wut wuttt
i was eading about polly the other week funnily enough. its about some kid that got kidnapped from some concert kurt was at and she got raped and shit. i think it might have been marsh.
"I have gone through the mental exercise of spending a lifetime in prison and of dying for this cause. I have let the fear pass through me and with clarity commit myself fully to the mission and values outlined in the Silk Road charter". - DPR
Old 04-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleybob View Post
It's not bad, man. But it's not fucking grunge, you know? For a weak comparison, that's like trying to make noise "music" accessible to the general public. It's more of an acquired taste and trying to fit into an easily-accessible mold only cheapens it for the people who like it for what it is.
Maybe it was pop, but it wasn't gay pop. I'm gonna try out their other songs, but I really dont see myself listening to them like I do Nevermind. They were before my time. I really never listened to them before 5 years ago. I was like 6 or 7 in 1994. But every few months I will put Nevermind in and only listen to it for about a 2-3 week period in my car.

Some cd's make me feel nostalgic about a time that was either when I was too young to listen to music, or before I was even born sometimes.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Selfish Cunt

Quote:
But every few months I will put Nevermind in and only listen to it for about a 2-3 week period in my car.
yeah, theres nothing like driving around with nevermind at full fucking blast in the car.
ACE_187 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Duke

i still listen to smells like teen spirit all the time..

it's a good song, man.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
The Belbet Bog

i was only 3 years old in 1994. i don't listen to nirvana for nostalgia. i'd have to listen to like backstreet boys and spice girls for that lol. and limp bizkit.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,166 Posts

I kind of wish I was old enough around 1992-1994 so that I could have enjoyed the great alternative music scene. Oh well, my musical consciousness caught the tail end of that period in the mid- to late-90s, with the Smashing Pumpkins and RATM and Sublime and so on, so I suppose it's not all bad. I can say Nirvana gives me some nostalgia, though, as they still played Nirvana on the radio and the Unplugged show on Much Music all the time throughout the 90s. All Apologies and The Man Who Sold the World in particular makes me nostalgic.

But seriously, when is popular music going to get good again

Last edited by water bottle; 04-04-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Baron

NlRVANA SUX, GRUNGE SUX

Quote:
Thats quite a cop out, seeing as bands like Steely Dan and Pink Floyd were making flawless studio albums as early as 1973.

Last edited by Marsh; 04-04-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
NlRVANA SUX, GRUNGE SUX

Thats quite a cop out, seeing as bands like Steely Dan and Pink Floyd were making flawless studio albums as early as 1973.
yeah, that's not the point

Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Duke

Nevermind and In Utero are both great albums but the contrast between the two is what makes Nirvana so great. And the whole contrast between those 2 and Bleach too, even though I never thought Bleach was anything amazing. I wish I still had the boxset of all their unreleased material but I sold it years ago, that had some great alternate mixes and tons of demos.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnuued cnut View Post
If he hadn't of evaporated he'd probably be ousted entirely from the music industry by now. What with creating sound collages of blenders buzzing, birds buzzing, and bee's buzzing, all buzzing it up and it would be hailed as some post modernist accumalative masterpiece of the most eurphoric and cyclical sound vibrations known to the post-human ear, but only appreciated by a small handful of devotees. Or he'd be a roadie for Melvins again. Or, maybe, he'd be cranking out kick ass post grunge pop rock with the drummer on tv and chewing bubblegum with everyone.
Honestly i'm glad Kurt killed himself. Otherwise we would have never had the Foo Fighters, which honestly are just a far better and more interesting band than Nirvana.

I really doubt they would have gone on to amazing musical heights, I can see Kurt ending up a washed-up crazy person like Axl Rose.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Red Baron of WWIII

Thanked 5,184 Times in 3,415 Posts
Facepalm Re: Nirvana - Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
Honestly i'm glad Kurt killed himself. Otherwise we would have never had the Foo Fighters, which honestly are just a far better and more interesting band than Nirvana.

I really doubt they would have gone on to amazing musical heights, I can see Kurt ending up a washed-up crazy person like Axl Rose.
hahaha faggot the foo fighters suck.
arleybob (04-11-2012), shopping cart for brains (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Duke

Nirvana - Here She Comes Now - YouTube

Old 04-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
hahaha faggot the foo fighters suck.
Foo Fighters are amazing. They're 10 times the band Nirvana ever was.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Marquis

Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Red Baron of WWIII

Quote:
Foo Fighters are amazing. They're 10 times the band Nirvana ever was.
Nope.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Duke

Mad Re: Nirvana - Come As You Are

First Nirvana song I ever heard.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Nope.
Hurrdurr i'm Kurt Cobain and i'm angry and depressed at the world, and all my songs sound the same and I can't sing and I couldn't write an upbeat song if my life depended on it.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Red Baron of WWIII

Quote:
Hurrdurr i'm Kurt Cobain and i'm angry and depressed at the world, and all my songs sound the same and I can't sing and I couldn't write an upbeat song if my life depended on it.

Well okay but I'm not a fan of nirvana or anything. I'm just saying that the foo fighters suck major butthole. At least nirvana has had 2 or 3 noteworthy hits. Everything the foo fighters did sounds queer and gay.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Wealthy Merchant

^^ Yeah, that and Kurt never screamed "OH YEAH!" before a guitar solo. Watching Dave play live can be embarassing sometimes.

Dont get me wrong, the foos are a great band, but its really just theyre first two or three albums that are decent. And i think its worth a mention that almost everything dave learned about songwriting he got from his mentor.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Duke

the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best
Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Well okay but I'm not a fan of nirvana or anything. I'm just saying that the foo fighters suck major butthole. At least nirvana has had 2 or 3 noteworthy hits. Everything the foo fighters did sounds queer and gay.
I listened to KT Tunstall and then the Scissor Sisters today, does that make me gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex chilton View Post
^^ Yeah, that and Kurt never screamed "OH YEAH!" before a guitar solo. Watching Dave play live can be embarassing sometimes.

Dont get me wrong, the foos are a great band, but its really just theyre first two or three albums that are decent. And i think its worth a mention that almost everything dave learned about songwriting he got from his mentor.
Well at least he has some stage presence and charisma. Yeah he learned a lot from Nirvana, but then so did every other alt rock band at that time.

Their first 3 albums are really great, but I really like their new stuff as well. The Pretender is just an amazing single, and Wasting Light is actually a really great album as a whole. It's not as immediate as their older stuff but it's got some really interesting playing while still keeping with the 3 guitars and a couple of melodies. And Taylor Hawkins is just a brilliant drummer.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Red Baron of WWIII

Damn shrike you're such an emo.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Knight

shh. don't tell anyone, but i always borrow talk to me and old age

the screaming trees kick ass too.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
This is like the best bassline intro ever.
And completely stolen from Killing Joke, sorry to burst your bubble.

Killing Joke - Eighties - YouTube