Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Entertainment > TV and Movies

Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Marquis

Default Re: The Walking Dead Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
Sledge hammer is a terrible weapon. It's heavy and has a small point ofimpact. Once you've swung you're committed to the swing, and if you're trying to hit a moving target, good luck to you. If you're going for a blunt force weapon you want something that'll carry it's impact over the length of the weapon. A good bat, club, pipe, or crowbar.....
The problem with those weapons is that, with the exception of the bat, they're all short reach weapons, and to get any damage or arc with them, you have to diminish the reach even further. That's a recipe for oh fuck, i just got scratched.

The lesser weight probably makes the bat more effective than the sledgehammer, but that really depends on how many of the walkers you're fighting at the time. Committing to a swing really isn't a problem when you know exactly where the thing is going to be. All they -do- is move forward, trying to claw and grab at you. There's no unpredictability to their movements.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Marquis

Thanked 1,270 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
Sledge hammer is a terrible weapon. It's heavy and has a small point ofimpact. Once you've swung you're committed to the swing, and if you're trying to hit a moving target, good luck to you. If you're going for a blunt force weapon you want something that'll carry it's impact over the length of the weapon. A good bat, club, pipe, or crowbar.....
I would think a small point of impact would be better, the force would be all directed into one spot where as with something bigger it would be distrubuted more, thus less effective at cracking a skull.

I think a good golf club would be better then a bat for just that reason. Of course they would break easier, but thats why you get a pet zombie like michonne, strap a bag of clubs to it and use it as a caddy.
"Then close your fucking store, because being ready for me will take care of your waking hours ,and you better have someone to hand the task off to when you close your fucking eyes." - Al Swearengen - Bar owner, Whore manager, Boss.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savino View Post
I would think a small point of impact would be better, the force would be all directed into one spot where as with something bigger it would be distrubuted more, thus less effective at cracking a skull.

I think a good golf club would be better then a bat for just that reason. Of course they would break easier, but thats why you get a pet zombie like michonne, strap a bag of clubs to it and use it as a caddy.
Fucking golf clubs now? Really? And people thought a katana was a stupid choice?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Marquis

I don't know why all these non martial artists have such strong opinions on melee weapons. Spears would be the best, followed by a light axe. Golf clubs are retarded, as are katanas.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Buster View Post
I don't know why all these non martial artists have such strong opinions on melee weapons. Spears would be the best, followed by a light axe. Golf clubs are retarded, as are katanas.
Because it's fun conversation about a fun show in a fun thread. If you want expert opinions on the use of weaponry get the fuck out to the weapons thread or some shit. Nobody's going to be impressed about anyone's self-professed expertise on the subject here.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Jive Talka (03-28-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Marquis

Im just saying getting hit by a golf club will fuck you up more then a bat.

Even better, drive a 8 inch spike through the top of the bat and use that, definite kill.
"Then close your fucking store, because being ready for me will take care of your waking hours ,and you better have someone to hand the task off to when you close your fucking eyes." - Al Swearengen - Bar owner, Whore manager, Boss.

Last edited by Savino; 03-27-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Knight

Quote:

Even better, drive a 8 inch spike through the top of the bat and use that, definite kill.
and one zombie comes at you a little fatser than you thought, you snap the club hitting it with the handle, and you're left with nothing. As far as a blunt force type of weapon is concerned, I think an aluminum baseball bat or a good length of like 1-1/2" steel pipe or something would be best. You can swing them with some force, they aren't overly awkward to throw around, and you don't need to be overly precise in terms of estimating the distance as long as you're swinging straight.

I still like the spear too. I mean you could get up a tree, or a roof, on top of a van or whatever, and just jab shit in the top of the head. You could jab out of windows, or through cracked doors while maintained a distance. You can swing it around and use it as a blunt weapon. It's a good all around choice I think.

Last edited by Lucid; 03-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iehovah View Post
Because it's fun conversation about a fun show in a fun thread. If you want expert opinions on the use of weaponry get the fuck out to the weapons thread or some shit. Nobody's going to be impressed about anyone's self-professed expertise on the subject here.
You don't have to be an expert to be somewhat informed.

And savino in a pinch a golf club wouldn't be a bad weapon but it is no way ideal or durable. If you want to go for crushing damage an axe or baseball bat/pipe would be best imo. I wouldn't want to fight zombies close range though, first thing I thought when watching the series was that they were way to comfortable or willing to get close to zombies, like you would get blood splash back in your mouth and eyes realistically if you kept killing zombies like that. I wouldn't want to get close to them even if I had a fucking lightsaber.

I say again, your best weapon is your mind, and in that case, the spear is the most versatile and advantageous weapon to use. If you plan on fighting 20 zombies at once in a field than bring a bat. If not, use a spear and common sense.

Last edited by Ghost Buster; 03-27-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,166 Posts

I think a baseball bat with some nails all up in it would be baller
The man who is proudly certain of his own value, will want the highest type of woman he can find, the woman he admires, the strongest, the hardest to conquer — because only the possession of a heroine will give him the sense of an achievement, not the possession of a brainless slut. -Francisco D’Anconia
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Marquis

I posted this in the other zombie thread, but its relevant here kinda and I put alot of thought into it..

Ok bear with me here this is long.. I have a picture of where I work below to refrence while reading. The place is about 7 km out of town, in the industrial area, no one lives up there, and about 40 km away from the next town, there should be miminal zombies around, except the odd hordes passing by.

So the building is a large compound for earth moving work, solid steel (the guy with the white truck once crashed pretty fast into the side with the windows, and other then the window breaking and some minimal bending of metal the structure was fine.). 8 foot barbwire fence around the entire compound (including yard and structure out back for supplys). The second picture shows you a shipping container, or "sea can". There is a compound about half a KM away from here which probably has 600 of them on lot, my work has several front end loaders which would make quick work of moving them. I would spend a few days, building a new fence inside the old one. This new fence would be made of these giant 8 foot tall sea cans, and cover the entire perimiter. I might also dig a 4 foot trech around the wall with one of the backhoes.
There is another compound about another half a km away which makes those cement cones for manholes which you can see being unloaded from that semi, they are about 4 feet tall, stack 2 ontop of eachother and thats 7 feet tall by 4 feet wide of solid unmoveable concrete. I would use those to fill any gaps in the wall.

The windows on the ground floor would be covered also by my sea can wall, including the bay door and other doors outside the fence. The doors would be welded shut. (In theory, if over run, I could jump out the top window in the front, onto the wall, and run the lenght of the yard up top before I had to get down for escape.

We have 3 desiel generators in the shop, top of the line, working, power outputting MONSTERS (the things are 6 feet tall, by like 6 feet long, we have to use the big trucks and loaders to move them). One of them could power everything I could think to run in the shop at once, and not even be close to total output. They are loud though, not to mention the fumes, so they would be kept in the structure out back with cords running out.

Maybe you can see the fuel truck in the back right side, I dont know how much it holds, but the tank is almost the size of a school bus, we have 2 trucks, and they are filled daily (so there is likely to be lots in there)
The bay doors on the side would also be covered with seacans, except 1 for bringing loads in. The windows are only 1 foot by a half a foot anyway, no ones coming through there.

Food/supply runs would be done with one of the 4 high power well running work trucks parked along the right side. Entry/exit would be done one way, while I have my seacan fence running lengthwise (-----------) around the compound, at the gate I would have one can the other way (|), the back would be cut off with a welding torch, and there would be ramps, so you could drive through, doors would be made to lock from the inside.
There are plenty of all kinds of markets and stores just on the outskirts of town, 7 km away on the highway (could drive down the ditch, through the fields, whatever with those trucks if the highway is clogged). So I wouldnt have to venture too far into the city for food and whatnot.

I could dig up a patch of slag in the compound, and make a soil garden (what luck, a soil supplier about a half a km away again!) and grow all kinds of food there. Hell I could even raise some chickens and shit.

You'll notice the water containers laying around in the second picture, we have 4 or 5 laying around, cleaned out and filled up, you could have enough drinking water for a couple months from one of those. (Even so, we have a bottle water supplier about a mile off from here, bottles for those water coolers. Ive been there, in the stock room they probably have 700-1000 bottles at any given time.)

Also in the bottom picture, you will see a 200 foot tall, climbable steel tower. This would be climbed once an hour with high power barnoculars to scan for incoming danger.

There is an old train car with a wall ripped off out back, for the buring pit, walker body cleanup would be an ease, scoup them up with the bucket of a machine, dump 30 at once into the flames. As for wood, there is a wooden pallet (http://fullcircles.org/fcblog/wp-con...et-3736911.jpg) supplier about 3 compounds down. In their yard at any given time there has to be at least 10,000 pallets, thats alot of fire wood.

In the event of a manageable sized group of walkers banging on my sea can wall, I would have made dozens of spears, out of 12 foot lengths of steel we have. Grind the end sharp, rest it on the side of the seacan, and hit the walker in the head like you're shooting pool, theres no way that 20lb spear isint going to hit their brain. These spears would be already placed ontop of the wall all over, ready to go.

In the office part, up front it is clearly 2 storys. The second floor would be where I slept, and kept all the most needed supplys, the stair case would be then removed and replaced with a rope ladder. There is also roof access from the second floor.
I would have 4 vehicles, all gassed up and full of supplys ready and waiting about a half a km away in all 4 directions incase I was overtaken.

I have access to maybe half a dozen rifles, and a bit of ammo, I would have that of course on hand. I think though in the event of a few zombies coming past I could use the spears, or drive out with one of the bigger loaders, a secure steel cab 6 feet up, and the 12,000 lb bucket to bring down on a dozen walkers and make a real mess.

We even have an emergency decontamination shower in the shop for the guys who work with chemicals, would be great for when you come back from a supply run covered in blood.
I do own a pistol, I would have that on me for supply runs, but also I would take a 16 inch chipping hammer, and a nice 4 foot solid lead pipe for protection.
All the equipment and supplys I need to secure the place, I would have onhand at the compound already, if not they can be got within a mile of the place.

This is canada, so it would get cold as *beep* in the winter, I would have a couple fire places made with chimneys in the shop to heat the place up. Any windows would be totally covered already making light impossible to escape anywhere.

I think ive covered alot of angles here, but not all of them, what do you think? Where is my plan weak and needing work? Any other ideas I could use to make this place more then secure?

Where I work picture:
Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,607 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DiStOrTiOn
Cool Re: The Walking Dead Season 2

^ only one problem:

zombie humans are impossible. Physiologically, and to all laws of physics.

so it'd be wiser to plan for ET invasions
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:

do you realize how easily that driver or iron will break though? Clubs are made out of an alloy to make them lighter. Thus making them more likely to break after a few good hard hits with it, especially if you end up hitting with the shaft of the club considering moving targets.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiStOrTiOn View Post
^ only one problem:

zombie humans are impossible. Physiologically, and to all laws of physics.

so it'd be wiser to plan for ET invasions
Yeah I realize that.. You dont ever think of fun what if senarios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheonyxXx View Post
do you realize how easily that driver or iron will break though? Clubs are made out of an alloy to make them lighter. Thus making them more likely to break after a few good hard hits with it, especially if you end up hitting with the shaft of the club considering moving targets.
I also realize that, the point I was trying to make though was that a smaller area making contact with a skull = more damage. Something like a lead pipe would be better then a golf club or a bat, small enough but solid enough.

Last edited by Savino; 03-28-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Duke

I've started reading the comics and I'd like to say that this show can go fuck itself I'm done with it. The comics are like all the good aspects of the show with next to none of the insufferable bullshit.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Black Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabania View Post
The comics are like all the good aspects of the show with next to none of the insufferable bullshit.
Pretty much.

Although I thought the Prison-arc got painful to read about 12 issues in.

Fuck causes, fuck right and wrong; I want someone to step to me with an AK and I want to put them the fuck down.