Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Entertainment > LOL, Internet

Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Duke

Rant Banned U.S. TV Ad: "America now works for China"

Quote:
A new television ad about the U.S. national debt produced by Citizens Against Government Waste has been deemed "too controversial" by major networks including ABC, A&E and The History Channel and will not be shown on those channels. The commercial is a homage to a 1986 ad that was entitled "The Deficit Trials" that was also banned by the major networks. Apparently telling the truth about the national debt is a little too "hot" for the major networks to handle. But perhaps it is time to tell the American people the truth. In 1986, the U.S. national debt was around 2 trillion dollars. Today, it is rapidly approaching 14 trillion dollars. The American Dream is being ripped apart right in front of our eyes, but apparently some of the major networks don't want the American people to really understand what is going on.

The truth is that the ad does not even have anything in it that should be offensive. The commercial is set in the year 2030, and the main character is a Chinese professor that is seen lecturing his students on the fall of great empires. As images of the United States are shown on a screen behind him, the Chinese professor tells his students the following about the behavior of great empires: "They all make the same mistakes. Turning their backs on the principles that made them great. America tried to spend and tax itself out of a great recession. Enormous so-called "stimulus" spending, massive changes to health care, government takeover of private industries, and crushing debt."

Perhaps it is what the Chinese Professor says next that is alarming the big television networks: "Of course, we owned most of their debt, so now they work for us".
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Baron

Default Re: Banned U.S. TV Ad: "America now works for China"

Not just controversial, it's also stupid! A win/win.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Knight

Facepalm Re: Banned U.S. TV Ad: "America now works for China"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumD View Post
Not just controversial, it's also stupid! A win/win.
Define whats stupid about it.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,167 Posts

Everything about this is ignorant.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhShit View Post
Define whats stupid about it.
1. China has heaps of domestic problems to deal with. It's not taking over the world any time soon.
2. China's development is tied to the continued economic success of the Western world (unlike, say, the USSR - what I'm getting at is that it's a whole new style of rising superpower not to be understood in Cold War-narrative terms).
4. China cares primarily about its own civilization and is not interested in conquering Western countries, as this fear-mongering ad implies. See Zheng He for more on this.
5. Chinese people are not, generally speaking, evil, Orwellian characters who scoff at something like the (implied) enslavement (or at least general misery) of 320,000,000 million people.
6. There is never one single thing that makes civilizations fail. If the US' days really are numbered, the reason will be much more complex than "stimulus spending".
7. The US is going to turn into something closer to what Britain or France is today, and even that's far off given the pre-eminence of its military and its amazing capacity for innovation.

But the stupidest thing is that this is so clearly just the worst sort of fear-mongering designed to get your grandma to fork over a donation or vote a certain way. The even stupider thing is that this kind of fear mongering works

Last edited by water bottle; 04-12-2012 at 11:52 PM.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Cory (04-13-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 PM

Also - and yes, I'm kind of ripping off one of the Top Comments - have you heard of Foxconn? If anybody is the winner in the current situation, it's the US.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Acolyte

Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,251 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to constantinople Send a message via AIM to constantinople Send a message via MSN to constantinople Send a message via Yahoo to constantinople
Thumbs Up Re: Banned U.S. TV Ad: "America now works for China"

Quote:
Originally Posted by water bottle View Post
1. China has heaps of domestic problems to deal with. It's not taking over the world any time soon.
2. China's development is tied to the continued economic success of the Western world (unlike, say, the USSR - what I'm getting at is that it's a whole new style of rising superpower not to be understood in Cold War-narrative terms).
4. China cares primarily about its own civilization and is not interested in conquering Western countries, as this fear-mongering ad implies. See Zheng He for more on this.
5. Chinese people are not, generally speaking, evil, Orwellian characters who scoff at something like the (implied) enslavement (or at least general misery) of 320,000,000 million people.
6. There is never one single thing that makes civilizations fail. If the US' days really are numbered, the reason will be much more complex than "stimulus spending".
7. The US is going to turn into something closer to what Britain or France is today, and even that's far off given the pre-eminence of its military and its amazing capacity for innovation.

But the stupidest thing is that this is so clearly just the worst sort of fear-mongering designed to get your grandma to fork over a donation or vote a certain way. The even stupider thing is that this kind of fear mongering works

It's not fear mongering if you'd rather be Chinese than American to begin with. I don't have any particular rational basis for this preference either, if you were going to ask. I just think they're cooler.

Also, anyone who takes any propaganda like this at face value is a fool, regardless of the message.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Knight

China is still behind the game in terms of what America has accomplished in global influence, that being said, the current state the US finds itself in is allowing China to catch up in the areas that helped the Americans get to where they are now, by expanding their influence and financial dependance throughout the world. Right now everyone is hurting for money, and China has got it. So, while predicting a Chinese overthrow of the United States may be a little unrealistic, seeing them grow into the top world super power over the next 20 years isn't all that unrealistic at all. Another 20-30 years or so behind them and you'll see India positioning itself a a world power nicely too. We're talking a good 50-60 years down the road for them to come of age though.

I don't think China would bother to outright attack the US, but with their demands for energy consumption growing, who knows at what point the two will come into conflict over who holds the most influence over international partners. Uganda could be shaping up to be an early indicator as to how the struggle between the two will be handled in this sense. 20 years allows for a lot of time for shit to go down, and China is growing rapidly. I wouldn't be least bit surprised if an overconfident America was the one to light the flame that starts the fire between the two, but at the same time I like to think they're smarter than getting right into it head to head with China. If they did go that route, there's no question that we'd be looking at a WW3 type scenario unfolding, and really I don't think anyone on either side of things really wants to go there.

I think the more likely scenario is that the two will simply become international competitors on a much more level playing field. Nothing overly apocalyptic. If China owns the vast majority of the American debt though, the statement that "America works for China" isn't all the unfounded either though, is it? It's funny to see buttfrustrated Americans lose their shit when it's suggested that they work for anyone though. That's why network television would never run it, buttfrustration. Nothing more, nothing less. No network wants to agitate the anus of America, then they would have to deal with the raging storm of farts coming from millions of tingly little American assholes...

Last edited by Lucid; 04-13-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Archduke

It's a good thing I'm engaged with a Chinese girl. And also am learning Cantonese.

So when they finally come into our soil killing everyone they might spare me.

the rest of you are fucked though
Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Cat Fucker

Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,749 Posts

Propaganda! Paranoia! Right-wing conspiracy theories!
“Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible.” - Carl Jung
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Significantly Grander Duke

Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,421 Posts
Grin Re: Banned U.S. TV Ad: "America now works for China"

Are some of you posting while stoned and or wacky?

The ad says, contrary to some of your assertions, nothing about violence or war. It only talks about being in debt to China the way a jobless homeowner with a mortgage is in debt to the bank.

When you owe too much the lender owns your nuts, tough guys.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Acolyte

Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,251 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to constantinople Send a message via AIM to constantinople Send a message via MSN to constantinople Send a message via Yahoo to constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cornwell View Post

The ad says, contrary to some of your assertions, nothing about violence or war. It only talks about being in debt to China the way a jobless homeowner with a mortgage is in debt to the bank.

Yeah...but what happens when China decides to collect? They can't. That's where the war part happens.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Significantly Grander Duke

Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustedDr.Watson View Post
Yeah...but what happens when China decides to collect? They can't. That's where the war part happens.
Wars often happen for wacky reasons, but it's hard to see what beating deadbeat America would get China.

War is more liable to be to impress voters/citizens. There are plenty of flashpoints and hotspots otherwise.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Baron

Quote:

1. Your brain has "heaps" of "stupid" in it and will not be coming up with a reasonable statement anytime soon.

2. Instead of this they should've made an ad showing an ostrich who buries his head deeper and deeper in the ground every time someone tries to warn him about any of his problems. But come to think of it they would probably end up having to pay you millions of dollar in court for using your image in tv without consent.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Red Baron of WWIII

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,427 Posts

lol amurka ur retarded
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,944 Posts

i actually found that mildly racist in the "chinese are asian jews" way.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Duke

Thanked 1,033 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pat-Man View Post
i actually found that mildly racist in the "chinese are asian jews" way.
Yeah, everyone knows the Indians are the REAL Jews of the East
Old 04-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,944 Posts

lol

asians are better at being jews than jews will ever be
Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Roll Eyes Re: Banned U.S. TV Ad: "America now works for China"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cornwell View Post

It's pretty clear the ad was loosely implying that China is going to take over the world. Clearly that has military connotations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oink The Pig View Post
1. Your brain has "heaps" of "stupid" in it and will not be coming up with a reasonable statement anytime soon.
Translation: I'm not smart or informed enough to actually explain exactly what about my post explains why my brain "has 'heaps' of 'stupid' in it", but still want to get in a little jibe. Don't waste my time.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Count

Quote:
......Orwellian characters who scoff at something like the (implied) enslavement (or at least general misery) of 320,000,000 million people.......
Anyone who thinks the world have or could sustain three hundred and twenty thousand billion people is a retard and should not be listened to.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Baron

jokes on them.

i don't work.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny vader View Post
Anyone who thinks the world have or could sustain three hundred and twenty thousand billion people is a retard and should not be listened to.
Redundant use of "million". A typo. What a huge deal

Make an argument against what I actually wrote and I'll take you seriously.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Count

Quote:
Redundant use of "million". A typo. What a huge deal

Make an argument against what I actually wrote and I'll take you seriously.
I wouldn't because I actually agree with you. We're actually pretty nice people to work for.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post

Propaganda! Paranoia! Right-wing conspiracy theories!
China owns about 8% of America's total debt. Anyone who thinks China will just up and "call our debt in" is talking out of their ass.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Count

This ad is not new. It's been out for at least a year now. I remember seeing this around a while.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Baron

Quote:

Translation: I'm not smart or informed enough to actually explain exactly what about my post explains why my brain "has 'heaps' of 'stupid' in it", but still want to get in a little jibe. Don't waste my time.

Uhh... oh... okay, I guess. Whatever that was supposed to mean.

Hey, I have a new signature idea for you:

"Coherence - you won't find it here."
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 AM

Thumbs Up Re: Banned U.S. TV Ad: "America now works for China"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oink The Pig View Post
Uhh... oh... okay, I guess. Whatever that was supposed to mean.

Hey, I have a new signature idea for you:

"Coherence - you won't find it here."
You knew exactly what that meant. Yes, I used first person pronouns to refer to both you and myself. Whoopedy-doo.

Now how about you actually try to respond to the points I made so we can all see how clever you are?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Baron

Quote:
You knew exactly what that meant. Yes, I used first person pronouns to refer to both you and myself. Whoopedy-doo.

Now how about you actually try to respond to the points I made so we can all see how clever you are?
The US depends on china as much as they depend on the US. It's not something you can quantify anyway, but its close enough that if one economy collapsed, it would take the other right down with it. The ad isn't meant to propose a serious argument about how china is taking over the world. that's not even really implied. Its a joke on the fact that the US has been losing a lot of geopolitical power to china for a long time now. It does make some good, if extremely over-simplified points - but how could anyone present a serious case in a minute long commercial.

No politically healthy empire would eat so much shit from its private banks as the US did, obviously it was done because they figured they couldn't afford otherwise. Theoretically if you let the economy go into the depression that it should have gone, you spend some years in the shitter but have the chance to reconstruct your basic economic infrastructure and come out of it stronger. The route taken by the US ensures an anesthetized pitfall but that will inevitable last several decades until things can get back to where they were before, and makes a shift in the internal economic gears highly difficult.

Anyone who isn't a moron knows that the ad is just picking on the continuous problems the country has been having and the way its dealing with it. Its not supposed to make you think the people behind it actually believe china will be bossing the US around in the near future. It's meant to be a wake up call, and it's a creative one. It's meant to start debates on where current north american policy is taking you. Free healthcare is great, but is a bad recession the best time to attempt to implement it? There are countries that want to be peaceful, organized, have a high quality of life INDEX and have its citizens die a nice death at age 120. And there are countries who want to be war-mongering empires invading places left and right to take care of its bottom line, its economic gain. America could have it both ways once, way back when - but its not possible anymore. It's asking you to wonder if you can have both the biggest and most expensive military force in the world, with military bases just about everywhere that the sun ever shined and waging wars at three different countries and also spend money you don't have on the quality of living.

Quote:

Again (because it really went by your head the first time around) you can't make a clever and shocking commercial at the same time that you have a deeply thoughtful and articulated one at the same time. Unfortunately for the people who made it, it seems the american public can't quite grasp its meaning and (like you) think its just meant to be an uncalled for and hurtful stab on your national pride.

Last edited by Oink The Pig; 04-14-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
The US is going to turn into something closer to what Britain or France is today
What, better?

lul
Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Marquis

Actually, this means China's continued economic success is more closely tied to ours than ours is to theirs. "If I owe you a million dollars I'm in trouble. But if I owe you a trillion dollars then YOU are in trouble." They have a lot of money invested in us, so our economic ruin would be to their detriment.

(Note: this is re: the discussion and summary. Did not watch ad.)