Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Graduation to Obligation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Rodrat Rodrat is online now
Sing me something soft...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Thanks: 118
Thanked 275 Times in 217 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

My girlfriend is going to go to medical school after she is finished with graduate school. Thinking about going to OSU. Though I keep trying to talk her into the Caribbean.
__________________
"sad and delicate, or loud and out of key..." &T Join Date 2004-11-01 Total Posts 4,119
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrat View Post
My girlfriend is going to go to medical school after she is finished with graduate school.
I might end up doing that too...

Then again, I'll probably just settle into my graduate field.

But this whole 3-year thing is so tempting for some reason. As though that extra year was dissuading me from medical school this whole time.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by a334jv2df View Post
He did residency and now pretty much writes scripts for money.
Also on this note... Does anyone know if you can start writing prescriptions the day you graduate from med school?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM
water bottle's Avatar
water bottle water bottle is offline
Cassius Clay XVII
 
Join Date: Jan 1996
Location: Laramidia
Thanks: 1,494
Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,231 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by p6867 View Post
http://www.hulu.com/watch/95442/30-r...edical-moments

"I'm a working physican, with a degree from the ho chi minh city school of medicine."
I don't get access to Hulu here, but Dr. Spaceman is the best thing about that show

Gadzooks - Note that Calgary has restricted places for out-of-province applicants.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Frown Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by water bottle View Post
Gadzooks - Note that Calgary has restricted places for out-of-province applicants.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 AM
JustinBieberz JustinBieberz is offline
Peasant
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Thanks: 13
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Also on this note... Does anyone know if you can start writing prescriptions the day you graduate from med school?
No. You'll need to apply for a license first.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 AM
Yurpen's Avatar
Yurpen Yurpen is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA Ontario
Thanks: 289
Thanked 375 Times in 310 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Itt: gadzooks goes to med school to write himself prescriptions for narcotics
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBieberz View Post
No. You'll need to apply for a license first.
Is that an easy process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurpen View Post
Itt: gadzooks goes to med school to write himself prescriptions for narcotics
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Actor's Avatar
Actor Actor is offline
Archduke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thanks: 522
Thanked 905 Times in 619 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Whats lulzy about goin to med school? Maybe if u become a dick-specialist?
__________________
*dosen't proof read*


Problem?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Whats lulzy about goin to med school? Maybe if u become a dick-specialist?
Or a proctologist.

"Alright, patient, I'm going to need you to turn around and do a goatse."

(Seriously though, that job would really, really suck).
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
HampTheToker (04-16-2012)
  #51  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
HampTheToker's Avatar
HampTheToker HampTheToker is offline
Child of The Fence
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: oranges
Thanks: 4,913
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,793 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

gadzooks- "Alright, patient, I'm going to need you to turn around and do a goatse."

Arleybob- "gadzooks? Is that you? Doctor/patient privilege still applies right?"
__________________
"Yeah, but you say a lot of things...and how does that work? You're a bicycle."
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
gadzooks (04-16-2012)
  #52  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Talking Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampTheToker View Post
gadzooks- "Alright, patient, I'm going to need you to turn around and do a goatse."

Arleybob- "gadzooks? Is that you? Doctor/patient privilege still applies right?"
I think there's a clause in the Dr/Patient confidentiality contract that states that a scenario that would produce lulz of a sufficient quantity would warrant breaching it.
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
HampTheToker (04-17-2012)
  #53  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Optionryder420 Optionryder420 is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Thanks: 74
Thanked 55 Times in 52 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post

However, I would have to take some organic chemistry courses as prerequisites to get into med school in the first place.
Wait...

You haven't even taken organic chemistry but you're making a post about going to Med School?

What are your current scholastic credentials?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Yurpen's Avatar
Yurpen Yurpen is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA Ontario
Thanks: 289
Thanked 375 Times in 310 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
Wait...

You haven't even taken organic chemistry but you're making a post about going to Med School?

What are your current scholastic credentials?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
Wait...

You haven't even taken organic chemistry but you're making a post about going to Med School?

What are your current scholastic credentials?
I'm about to grad with a B.A.

I've taken some first year bio and chem courses. I would just need to spend a little extra time taking some biochem and o chem classes, possibly physics as well, at least if I want to do well on the MCAT.

It's not a huge hurdle by any means.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Frown Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurpen View Post
I can make my way to about P. I sometimes have trouble with Q though.

Alfabets r hard, yo.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Yurpen's Avatar
Yurpen Yurpen is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA Ontario
Thanks: 289
Thanked 375 Times in 310 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I can make my way to about P. I sometimes have trouble with Q though.

Alfabets r hard, yo.
yooll lurn soon
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
The Explanation The Explanation is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Thanks: 371
Thanked 87 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
Wait...

You haven't even taken organic chemistry but you're making a post about going to Med School?

What are your current scholastic credentials?
This. Take organic then come back and still say you want to go to med school "for the lulz."

I'm probably going to pull off an A in it this semester, but...shit's no laughing matter. It will own your life. Assuming you go to a halfway decent uni.
__________________
No morals shown, In no way explained
Stupid human, Shit for brains
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Explanation View Post
Assuming you go to a halfway decent uni.
I'd rather go to a shitty uni then if it would mean I'd get a higher grade more easily.

It all gets scored the same way by admissions departments anyway.

Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 PM
The Explanation The Explanation is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Thanks: 371
Thanked 87 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I'd rather go to a shitty uni then if it would mean I'd get a higher grade more easily.

It all gets scored the same way by admissions departments anyway.

Not really. You're not going to get into a good med school going to a shitty uni for undergrad. Med school in general, maybe. But a good med school, definitely not.

EDIT: They're also probably going to look at your score on the ACS final. My class last year made on average in the 92nd percentile.
__________________
No morals shown, In no way explained
Stupid human, Shit for brains
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 AM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Explanation View Post
Not really. You're not going to get into a good med school going to a shitty uni for undergrad. Med school in general, maybe. But a good med school, definitely not.
I'm pretty sure all good med schools have a quantifiable coding system that they use to weight applicants on different measures. And I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be able to quantifiably code a weight for prestige of school.

At least I presume that to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Explanation View Post
EDIT: They're also probably going to look at your score on the ACS final. My class last year made on average in the 92nd percentile.
I'm from Canada, eh?

Yeah, I don't think we have ACS here. I could be wrong though.

And anyway, the MCAT is pretty standardized, so I could always use that to compare to others.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 AM
kervin's Avatar
kervin kervin is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: japan
Thanks: 93
Thanked 94 Times in 77 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

I was pre med for a stretch, but decided to enter research instead after realizing the life sacrifices that doctors make for their careers. Most of your life will revolve around work as a doctor. Getting into med school is going to require many clinical hours, years of research, tons of extra curriculars, high GPA, and high MCAT. This isn't that hard at all( I actually did it, I know), and almost everyone makes it through med school, so the real challenge begins after med school when you start your residency. It is almost a philosophical question at this point: what do you want out of life. If you want to be able to brag about being a doctor, don't do it. If you want to devote most of your waking hours to medicine, do it. It took me three years to realize I just wanted to brag about being a doctor.
__________________
"momma loves her baby, and daddy loves you too"
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
gadzooks (04-17-2012)
  #63  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 AM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kervin View Post
It is almost a philosophical question at this point: what do you want out of life. If you want to be able to brag about being a doctor, don't do it. If you want to devote most of your waking hours to medicine, do it.
True dat.

I wouldn't even dare consider it if I didn't have at least some (actually, a fair bit of) intrinsic motivation.

But I'll admit that some extrinsic motivators are pretty powerful.

For instance, I'd make at least double what I'll end up making if I go the grad school / research route. That's pretty tempting.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 AM
kervin's Avatar
kervin kervin is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: japan
Thanks: 93
Thanked 94 Times in 77 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Research has its own reward too though. Its hard to see as an undergrad, but you will eventually be doing something nearly everyday that has never been done before. Then you can tell all your friends about it and get this look in return
__________________
"momma loves her baby, and daddy loves you too"
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 AM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kervin View Post
Research has its own reward too though. Its hard to see as an undergrad, but you will eventually be doing something nearly everyday that has never been done before. Then you can tell all your friends about it and get this look in return
Fo sho. I definitely see huge (intrinsic) benefits when it comes to research.

That's most likely the direction I'm heading. This whole med school idea is kind of... a pipe dream, maybe?

But I'm not ruling it out entirely yet.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM
The Explanation The Explanation is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Thanks: 371
Thanked 87 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I'm pretty sure all good med schools have a quantifiable coding system that they use to weight applicants on different measures. And I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be able to quantifiably code a weight for prestige of school.

At least I presume that to be the case.



I'm from Canada, eh?

Yeah, I don't think we have ACS here. I could be wrong though.

And anyway, the MCAT is pretty standardized, so I could always use that to compare to others.
Ah you're probably right about the ACS then. I do think they still care about the prestige of your school, though. I mean, at any major uni you can probably get in but not from some community college or something. The impression that I get is that there's a lot more to it than just some formula they use. I'm sure there's a formula where they cut everyone below certain stats, but beyond that, it's a case-by-case thing.
__________________
No morals shown, In no way explained
Stupid human, Shit for brains
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Explanation View Post
Ah you're probably right about the ACS then. I do think they still care about the prestige of your school, though. I mean, at any major uni you can probably get in but not from some community college or something. The impression that I get is that there's a lot more to it than just some formula they use. I'm sure there's a formula where they cut everyone below certain stats, but beyond that, it's a case-by-case thing.
This is something I've always wondered about.

I have my guesses about how it works, and you seem to have your own, but the only people who could tell us for sure would be admissions people.

From what I've read on student doctor and premed forums, most med schools seem to not weigh different schools differently. But then how do these posters know this stuff? I don't know how they know or if their sources are reliable.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 AM
The Explanation The Explanation is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Thanks: 371
Thanked 87 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
This is something I've always wondered about.

I have my guesses about how it works, and you seem to have your own, but the only people who could tell us for sure would be admissions people.

From what I've read on student doctor and premed forums, most med schools seem to not weigh different schools differently. But then how do these posters know this stuff? I don't know how they know or if their sources are reliable.
Yeah you're right. My guesses are based on what the premed adviser for our school says, and he's a retired M.D. who talks with admissions people. But of course he's going to say that my school gets people into better med schools since that's where his paycheck comes from.
__________________
No morals shown, In no way explained
Stupid human, Shit for brains
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
gadzooks (04-18-2012)
  #69  
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Explanation View Post
Yeah you're right. My guesses are based on what the premed adviser for our school says, and he's a retired M.D. who talks with admissions people. But of course he's going to say that my school gets people into better med schools since that's where his paycheck comes from.
I wouldn't totally discount his credibility because of that. He may be right.

I have no idea for sure.

I wonder if admissions people at med schools would answer this kind of question (truthfully) over the phone to just anyone...?

I would maybe try calling a few personally... Maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Optionryder420 Optionryder420 is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Thanks: 74
Thanked 55 Times in 52 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I'm about to grad with a B.A.

I've taken some first year bio and chem courses. I would just need to spend a little extra time taking some biochem and o chem classes, possibly physics as well, at least if I want to do well on the MCAT.

It's not a huge hurdle by any means.
What is your BA in? I am also about to graduate with a BA and have also taken first year bio and chem courses, but I'm in no way, shape, or form near going to Med School.

Have you taken Calc I and II? You will also need those.

I think you may be trying to bite off more than you can chew. The classes you mentioned are probably the hardest classes you will take. Organic Chem and Biochem are no laughing matter, you don't only have to pass, but to get into med school you will need to pass with high scores. The MCAT as well is no laughing matter, it will probably be the hardest test of your life.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 AM
Optionryder420 Optionryder420 is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Thanks: 74
Thanked 55 Times in 52 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I'd rather go to a shitty uni then if it would mean I'd get a higher grade more easily.

It all gets scored the same way by admissions departments anyway.

Man, you may want to do a lot more serious research besides reading the student doctor forums.

I hope you have a lot of extra curricular activities, a high GPA, high MCAT score, etc. They look for the WHOLE package when it comes to med school, also, it does help to be a minority, so if you're white, expect the deck to be stacked against you. My white girlfriend applied to every Pharmacy school in Florida, 3.7 GPA or so, 75 PCAT, TONS of extra curricular activities along with volunteer work, 3 years as a pharmacy tech, outstanding recommendations from well connected pharmacists, and many leadership positions. She got immediately accepted into quite a few schools, interviews at every school (along with quite a few that she didn't even finish the application at), but she didn't get her first choice, UF. Most spots are given to UF alumn or current students, the others are pretty much filled with minorities. We knew quite a few people that got into UF that didn't have NEARLY the stats that she had, they were minorities. She also applied as early as she could and had a BA in Biomedical science minor in Biophysics.

Let us know how you do, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. Like another person posted, it doesn't end at Med School, it only just begins there.
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
gadzooks (05-01-2012)
  #72  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 AM
reggie_love's Avatar
reggie_love reggie_love is offline
Marquis
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gunsville, USA
Thanks: 875
Thanked 1,089 Times in 671 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by water bottle View Post
1. Go on a bus or a busy street at look at 20+ people.
2. Realize that on any given work day, as a doctor, you will have to poke, prod, and otherwise touch their bodies, including inside their orifices. You'll also have to play with all sorts of fluids their bodies produce.
3. Ask yourself if you still want to be a doctor.
That's misleading. There are so many different paths to take in medicine, so many don't even involve dealing with patients (research, administration, etc). What you're describing sounds more like nurses' line of work anyway (especially the fluids part).

But I do agree that too many people go to med school for the wrong reasons. It's not a "promising job," it's a great responsibility. You have to be willing (more accurately, strongly inclined) to accept a fiduciary duty to heal other human beings. It's not just some sweet position where you have to deal with people so you can get white collar pay. It's important shit and you have a moral responsibility to do a good and thorough job.

If you want to make money go into finance or something where people won't be maimed or killed because of your mistakes.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM
water bottle's Avatar
water bottle water bottle is offline
Cassius Clay XVII
 
Join Date: Jan 1996
Location: Laramidia
Thanks: 1,494
Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,231 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie_love View Post
That's misleading.
No it isn't. It's true that not every doctors spends his day poking people's assholes, but the 'gross factor' of medicine should not be understated. The point stands: if you're not prepared to do nasty things with gross bodies, you shouldn't be a doctor. If you can do it, though, there are certainly some very exciting fields of research that don't require probing gross people.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 PM
The"Her0-in"me The"Her0-in"me is offline
Serf
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Thanks: 14
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

I was actually going to be a m.d. But got divorced in the middle of my schooling, and lost the drive, and now I'm a bartender... 6 years later.... Wow, been a lot longer than I had thought.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 AM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
What is your BA in?
Psychology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
I am also about to graduate with a BA and have also taken first year bio and chem courses, but I'm in no way, shape, or form near going to Med School.

Have you taken Calc I and II? You will also need those.

I think you may be trying to bite off more than you can chew. The classes you mentioned are probably the hardest classes you will take. Organic Chem and Biochem are no laughing matter, you don't only have to pass, but to get into med school you will need to pass with high scores. The MCAT as well is no laughing matter, it will probably be the hardest test of your life.
I realize that it would not be an easy path by any stretch of the imagination. I acknowledge the challenges that would lie ahead of me if I choose this career trajectory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
Man, you may want to do a lot more serious research besides reading the student doctor forums.

I hope you have a lot of extra curricular activities, a high GPA, high MCAT score, etc. They look for the WHOLE package when it comes to med school, also, it does help to be a minority, so if you're white, expect the deck to be stacked against you. My white girlfriend applied to every Pharmacy school in Florida, 3.7 GPA or so, 75 PCAT, TONS of extra curricular activities along with volunteer work, 3 years as a pharmacy tech, outstanding recommendations from well connected pharmacists, and many leadership positions. She got immediately accepted into quite a few schools, interviews at every school (along with quite a few that she didn't even finish the application at), but she didn't get her first choice, UF. Most spots are given to UF alumn or current students, the others are pretty much filled with minorities. We knew quite a few people that got into UF that didn't have NEARLY the stats that she had, they were minorities. She also applied as early as she could and had a BA in Biomedical science minor in Biophysics.
That is kind of scary, I'll admit.

I would definitely apply at a bunch of different schools, just in case.

But anyway, the Caribbean school tract seems at least somewhat less daunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie_love View Post
But I do agree that too many people go to med school for the wrong reasons. It's not a "promising job," it's a great responsibility. You have to be willing (more accurately, strongly inclined) to accept a fiduciary duty to heal other human beings. It's not just some sweet position where you have to deal with people so you can get white collar pay. It's important shit and you have a moral responsibility to do a good and thorough job.

If you want to make money go into finance or something where people won't be maimed or killed because of your mistakes.
I agree that going to med school strictly for the money is a horrible idea, and not to mention possibly unethical as well.

That being said, though, if it comes down to choosing between med school and a research/academic career, then the money factor becomes relevant. Knowing that I could make double what I'd be making doing similar work, just without the clinical aspect, is a bit irksome.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Optionryder420 Optionryder420 is offline
Knight
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Thanks: 74
Thanked 55 Times in 52 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Psychology.
Okay, now I know this is a joke.

You plan on going from one of the EASIEST majors to Med School?

And you plan on doing it for the "lulz"?

Dude, don't even attempt to waste your time because seriously, you are NOT going to make it. My girlfriend even says you shouldn't waste your time or your money.

What is the hardest class you've even taken? What is your current GPA?

You have absolutely NO idea what you're thinking about doing.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:15 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
Okay, now I know this is a joke.
What's your major, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
What is the hardest class you've even taken? What is your current GPA?

You have absolutely NO idea what you're thinking about doing.
I'm not even going to indulge you on these questions...

Only an idiot takes the concept of easy vs hard majors seriously. Once you get into the upper level courses, things are totally different.

I can't wait to hear what your major is/was...

Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 PM
vnorberto vnorberto is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thanks: 159
Thanked 204 Times in 148 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

optionryder has a BA in faggotry.
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
gadzooks (05-05-2012)
  #79  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
gadzooks gadzooks is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks: 417
Thanked 367 Times in 259 Posts
Talking Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnorberto View Post
optionryder has a BA in faggotry.
He must have graduated with about a dozen good reference letters.

(That joke was for when you said his BA was in cocksucking. Now it doesn't make as much sense).
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM
bortmackie bortmackie is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ill Noize
Thanks: 36
Thanked 344 Times in 257 Posts
Default Re: Going to Med School for the lulz

bullshit, i had to take calc 1 and 2 for psychology, as well as C++, statistics, etc. I'm not trying to say i'm some kind of biochemistry major or something, but saying it's an 'easy' major is a bunch of bullshit. People are good at different things, and different fields have their own difficulties.
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
gadzooks (05-05-2012)
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
lulz, med, school

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fire bombing a school for the lulz pill popper The Trashcan 8 04-06-2009 08:53 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 PM.


Hot Topics
Join our Chatroom!
Users: 8
Messages/minute: 0
Topic: "Only rule: be nice or I'll cut your fucking face off, dumbshit"
Users: 27
Messages/minute: 1.6
Topic: "http://codelove.org :: Below is above in 2 codes 1 love. :: wh..."
Users: 18
Messages/minute: 5
Topic: "http://www.literotica...."
Advertisements
Your ad could go right HERE! Contact us!

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.