Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Entertainment > Fragyard

Old 05-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Acolyte

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,417 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to constantinople Send a message via AIM to constantinople Send a message via MSN to constantinople Send a message via Yahoo to constantinople
Default It's time to play through the most epic video game saga ever made

[again]

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal

and then, once I've finished all that, I'm gonna play the Enhanced Edition when they finally come out.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Baron

Default Re: It's time to play through the most epic video game saga ever made

Ahh, one of my favourite PC series. I started BG:2 + ToB again recently, although it's on hold for a bit while I'm playing other things.

It's certainly the best of its kind - better than Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc.

Baldur's Gate 2 was the first RPG I played (other than Final Fantasy 7).
Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,219 Times in 858 Posts

haha just started playing shadows of amn with the ToB expansion like two days ago. got an assassin i think im at like level 13 and i just got to spellhold.

i used to love this game when i was a kid, like 12 or something, but it was always too fucking complicated for me to play and id just get merked every battle whereas now i actually understand tactics and strategy.

i used to play with a sorcerer but once you get death spell/disintegrate/finger of death/etc you are too badass for any challenge.

best games ever.

edit: wait, enhanced edition? what the fuck is this?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Acolyte

Send a message via ICQ to constantinople Send a message via AIM to constantinople Send a message via MSN to constantinople Send a message via Yahoo to constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsmoke View Post
Ahh, one of my favourite PC series. I started BG:2 + ToB again recently, although it's on hold for a bit while I'm playing other things.

It's certainly the best of its kind - better than Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc.

Baldur's Gate 2 was the first RPG I played (other than Final Fantasy 7).
Neverwinter Nights was made cool by the modding community. There was an entire Middle Earth built using the Neverwinter Nights engine. It was SO cool.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.blunt View Post
haha just started playing shadows of amn with the ToB expansion like two days ago. got an assassin i think im at like level 13 and i just got to spellhold.

i used to love this game when i was a kid, like 12 or something, but it was always too fucking complicated for me to play and id just get merked every battle whereas now i actually understand tactics and strategy.

i used to play with a sorcerer but once you get death spell/disintegrate/finger of death/etc you are too badass for any challenge.

best games ever.

dual-weilding half-orc barbarian, OR shapeshifting druid. Motherfuckers don't know about my Greater Werewolf form.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Grand Duke

fuck, i always forget about making a fucking shapeshifter. my buddy kept telling me to make one but i never did. theyre pretty good eh?

ive never played an assassin before, im already at like 6x backstab bonus. that with a poisoned weapon is pretty much the kryptonite for any crazy mage i run into.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
fuck, i always forget about making a fucking shapeshifter. my buddy kept telling me to make one but i never did. theyre pretty good eh?

ive never played an assassin before, im already at like 6x backstab bonus. that with a poisoned weapon is pretty much the kryptonite for any crazy mage i run into.
cast spells in the city, see how long you can survive the onslaught

Yeah Werewolves fuck shit UP, like to a ridiculous degree. It's kinda why they are so hard to fight in the game; I think you encounter some in that dungeon area with the red dragon

That's another thing: Killing a fucking dragon in Baldur's Gate is hard as SHIT, if not impossible. Compare that to skyrim.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Grand Duke

haha okay well taking on the cowled fucks is another story. i mostly meant if i run into a group of people and theres a mage in the back giving me trouble. my assassin just hides/goes invisible and sneaks around to backstab the fucker to badly injured just about every time. then the poison does the rest. its awesome if i see them before they see me or get aggro cause then he doesnt even have time to up protections.

and yeah i remember running into a greater werewolf with my last character somewhere in the drow world i think and despite us all having +2 weapons we couldnt scratch him and he just killed us one by one. if PC werewolves are that badass then i have been making a mistake in never using one.

dragons are fucking insane in this game. ive only ever killed one or two aside from the pussy one in the umar hills.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Acolyte

Thumbs Up Re: It's time to play through the most epic video game saga ever made

Quote:
haha okay well taking on the cowled fucks is another story. i mostly meant if i run into a group of people and theres a mage in the back giving me trouble. my assassin just hides/goes invisible and sneaks around to backstab the fucker to badly injured just about every time. then the poison does the rest. its awesome if i see them before they see me or get aggro cause then he doesnt even have time to up protections.

and yeah i remember running into a greater werewolf with my last character somewhere in the drow world i think and despite us all having +2 weapons we couldnt scratch him and he just killed us one by one. if PC werewolves are that badass then i have been making a mistake in never using one.

dragons are fucking insane in this game. ive only ever killed one or two aside from the pussy one in the umar hills.

In this game, they actually went through great lengths to make mages equally as powerful as warriors. They seriously are almost untouchable with enough buffs.

Lol the black dragon ain't no pussy, I've never been able to kill any of them without using the false-dialogue glitch
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Grand Duke

i dont remember much of baldurs gate at all except that it was so frustratingly hard to level your guy. like i said i was young when i played these and my version of baldrus gate got fucked. were mages that much easier to kill? some of them in SoA are damn near impossible once theyve got all their buffers up. i never took the time to look into countering them with other mages, i just use brute force or, now, backstab.

no dragons are pussies, but for whatever reason i have been able to kill that one more than others. definitely gonna kill that silver dragon this time around, every other time ive played i decided not to.

i feel like such a nerd talking about this game but holy fuck i love it. i just wish i understood some of it more but i cant be fucked learning stupid dice rolls and dungeons and dragons rules and the like.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Count

You guys have inspired me to pirate these games.
Bill Buford quotes (showing 1-16 of 16)“Food made by hand is an act of defiance and runs contrary to everything in our modernity.Find it; eat it; it will go. It has been around for millennia. Now it is evanescent, like a season.” ― Bill Buford.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
i dont remember much of baldurs gate at all except that it was so frustratingly hard to level your guy. like i said i was young when i played these and my version of baldrus gate got fucked. were mages that much easier to kill? some of them in SoA are damn near impossible once theyve got all their buffers up. i never took the time to look into countering them with other mages, i just use brute force or, now, backstab.

no dragons are pussies, but for whatever reason i have been able to kill that one more than others. definitely gonna kill that silver dragon this time around, every other time ive played i decided not to.

i feel like such a nerd talking about this game but holy fuck i love it. i just wish i understood some of it more but i cant be fucked learning stupid dice rolls and dungeons and dragons rules and the like.

Lol yeah, I never understood D&D rules until I got into some srs bsns character building in NWN. It takes a little bit, especially saving throws and resistances.

also these games were indeed much more difficult as a kid of about 10.

Last edited by constantinople; 05-04-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Baldur's Gate more like Baldur's GAY
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.PAPADROPADOCALOPALIS View Post
Yeah Werewolves fuck shit UP, like to a ridiculous degree. It's kinda why they are so hard to fight in the game; I think you encounter some in that dungeon area with the red dragon
I'm stuck on that at the moment. Fucking Greater Wolfware keeps regenerating health faster than I can knock it off. I'm playing a Paladin because I want that Red Dragon's sword!

I also keep getting level drained in that dungeon. Guess I need to head back to a fucking temple.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsmoke View Post
I'm stuck on that at the moment. Fucking Greater Wolfware keeps regenerating health faster than I can knock it off. I'm playing a Paladin because I want that Red Dragon's sword!

I also keep getting level drained in that dungeon. Guess I need to head back to a fucking temple.
You should try and get ur cleric/druid to a higher level, then she gets restoration so you can cure your own level drain which helps a LOT.

best way to kill greater werewolves is with magic IMO, if you have flesh-to-stone, or some other hard nuke, I would use it because the base armor rating greater werewolves get is insane. plus they get like a bonus 100HP or somethin. melf's minute meteorite is a favorite for dealing with hard to kill baddies, because it acts as a magical ranged weapon
Old 05-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Acolyte

you can also get a druid in your party with the werewolf ability, idk if you knew already though
Old 05-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Baron

Thumbs Up Re: It's time to play through the most epic video game saga ever made

Quote:
you can also get a druid in your party with the werewolf ability, idk if you knew already though
I think I did, but it's been years since I've played it.

I've been looking up the n00b guides for tips, lol.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Grand Duke

Quote:
You should try and get ur cleric/druid to a higher level, then she gets restoration so you can cure your own level drain which helps a LOT.
the bitch about restoration is that it makes your cleric fatigued after she casts it once. fuck that shit. so frustrating when youre fighting through a tomb or something and one hit from a pussy shadow level drains you even though you can one hit kill the fucker.

i cant remember if restoration scrolls cause fatigue too, i dont use them assuming that they do.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
the bitch about restoration is that it makes your cleric fatigued after she casts it once. fuck that shit. so frustrating when youre fighting through a tomb or something and one hit from a pussy shadow level drains you even though you can one hit kill the fucker.

i cant remember if restoration scrolls cause fatigue too, i dont use them assuming that they do.
Spells like protection from evil will raise your saving throws against those kinds of baddies so you have a greater chance of not getting level drained.

If you were super-pro, you'd turn your bag of holding inside out, put it over your body, and use it to walk through walls.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Grand Duke

Quote:
Spells like protection from evil will raise your saving throws against those kinds of baddies so you have a greater chance of not getting level drained.
really eh? well shit, i wish id known that sooner. lately ive been having viconia just turn undead and i end up with a huge army of shadows and skeletons.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Acolyte

I ALWAYS let the drow burn. She brings your rep down man. You can't be maximum baller status with her in your party.

"ahhhh we are all heroes, you and boo and i, hamsters and rangers everywhere, REJOICE!"
Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Grand Duke

meh i got the reputation back pretty quickly. im doing this one as a neutral guy with mostly evil characters in my group so im not worrying about it this time around.

this city is teeming with evil... lets give it a shake and see what FALLS OUT!

mostly evil characters but for minsc, naturally.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ed Rush View Post
You guys have inspired me to pirate these games.
quoted for evidence
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Marquis

First thought when I read thread title was "Baldur's Gate?" Played it so much as a teenager, hundreds of hours.

Gonna wait for the expanded edition in a couple of months before replaying personally.

Such an awesome game though, well SoA especially. Party NPCs are the best in any RPG I think. All really memorable and believable. Some of them are annoying (Nalia, Jaheira, Aerie, Anomen) but just more credit to the writers. Keldorn is pretty cool and that evil dwarf (Korgan?). Also Yoshimo and Valygar... both great. Honestly think developers (Bioware) should go back to walls of text instead of having it all voiced etc.

Infinity engine combat is slightly dated now though maybe. Still love the really hard tactical fights though like the temple district compound and the bridge district lich+friends. Oh and dragons... truly epic.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipohippo View Post
What kind of game is this? Dungeon crawler?

I've yet to find one I liked

It's a RPG based on AD&D rules so it's a little be slower and more to do with advancing an epic story and setting up a fully fleshed out and believable world.

If you've ever read any Forgotten Realms literature....play these games. Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gith View Post
First thought when I read thread title was "Baldur's Gate?" Played it so much as a teenager, hundreds of hours.

Gonna wait for the expanded edition in a couple of months before replaying personally.

Such an awesome game though, well SoA especially. Party NPCs are the best in any RPG I think. All really memorable and believable. Some of them are annoying (Nalia, Jaheira, Aerie, Anomen) but just more credit to the writers. Keldorn is pretty cool and that evil dwarf (Korgan?). Also Yoshimo and Valygar... both great. Honestly think developers (Bioware) should go back to walls of text instead of having it all voiced etc.

Infinity engine combat is slightly dated now though maybe. Still love the really hard tactical fights though like the temple district compound and the bridge district lich+friends. Oh and dragons... truly epic.

The lich in that little Tavern? See...things like that, little out of the way things you don't really notice unless you're looking. Those are what make games great. Mystery. Wonder. The fact that every side-quest in Baldur's Gate/BG2 is like...it's own story waiting to be discovered. Not "go fetch item/kill x amount of monsters because they are in my corn field".

the cult of the sightless eye? fuckin shivers down my spine. those are the things real games are made of.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Count

This game was so fucking great, Remember playing it as a kid, not understanding shit of what was going on but it was still great.

I actually need to play this, Anyone have a torrent? All my cds are gone, dammit.

Too bad diablo 3 is out, gonna eat all my game time ;x
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Count

I completely forgot aabout this. Should I start with the first one or play later games in the series?
Bill Buford quotes (showing 1-16 of 16)“Food made by hand is an act of defiance and runs contrary to everything in our modernity.Find it; eat it; it will go. It has been around for millennia. Now it is evanescent, like a season.” ― Bill Buford.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Serf

Send a message via AIM to Yadda

oooooooooo, the website says they will be upgrading the multiplayer too. ive dreamed of the day of playing BG online.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Wealthy Merchant

hi

i started playin an epic video game to recently

have u herd of halo? its an epic game which is in space where you fight space aliens and save the world.

its so epic their are 3 parts and even a movie soon. i cant wait. you can even use a lightsaber sword to kill aliens.