Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Society > Conspiracies And The Paranormal

Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Sex Cucumber

Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,481 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Zanick
Default Cosmological events and human behavior

Do you believe there is some correlation between things up there and how we act down here? If so, what is the nature and significance of this causal relationship?

There is a supermoon in my area tomorrow night, and a meteor shower at the same time. I find this fascinating, and will be out there with my telescope regardless, but I'm just curious to see what your thoughts are concerning this coinciding of celestial phenomena.

Last edited by Zanick; 05-05-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Sing me something soft...

Default Re: Cosmological events and human behavior

Are you talking about that zodiac and star alignment stuff? If so I have never bought into it. I feel no difference no matter what is going on in the stars.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Sex Cucumber

I've never really been into it either, but part of me wonders why it shouldn't affect us. The moon does have a strong effect on tides, so what about living organisms?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 AM

The tides is gravity from the moon pulling the water upwards slightly, if I recall correctly. If anything during high tide maybe we can jump a little(and I mean a little) bit higher? Other than that I don't see how gravity could effect us in any mental way.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 AM

The moon may very well have something to do with changing our behaviour but I don't think it could be tidal related.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Sex Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipohippo View Post
Oh shit, you live in chicago right?
Yes! Not quite in the city but in the suburbs nearby.

I'm going to meditate for much of the night anyway, just to see if anything is different. Can't hurt I guess, and besides I'll have an excuse to get away from any company, I love alone time in a natural environment outdoors. I read on wikipedia that static electricity will be altered somehow, while other supposed effects are pseudoscientific. In any case, I will report back with anomalies should they be encountered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1477020.html

Looks like we're getting a solar eclipse later this month too, this is going to be an interesting few weeks of watching the sky!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Sex Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrat View Post
The moon may very well have something to do with changing our behaviour but I don't think it could be tidal related.
This is another good point, simply because we are composed largely of water does not mean the moon will have a significant effect on our behavior. Most correlations that do exist are seizure activity, explained by brightness and relieved by local controlling of moon visibility.

Although in schizophrenic patients, a significant correlation between moon phases and behavioral change has been noted, but this could perhaps be explained another way. I'm not really sure but it's worth investigating, if only for kicks.

Greyfox knows all about this stuff IIRC. ArmsMerchant where are youuuu?!?!?!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Baron

Quote:
The moon has a proven effect on humans. A full moon tends to make people crazier according to police accounts.

I never noticed anything and thus, don't belive. But the full moon thing might be worth checking out.
This is true with kids too.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,915 Times in 2,029 Posts

parents used to tell me more murders went down during a harvest moon than any other time of the year but its likely horseshit.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Duke

Quote:
The moon has a proven effect on humans. A full moon tends to make people crazier according to police accounts.

I never noticed anything and thus, don't belive. But the full moon thing might be worth checking out.
A full moon or hunter's moon allows humans to see more easily in the dark, increasing chances of making a kill.

People who deny this are ignoring their primal hunting and gathering instinct.

"Gardens and crops can be planted by the phases of the moon. Some gardeners believe that the hardiness of plants are affected by moon phases, and schedule plantings and harvestings accordingly. This is an ancient tradition utilized by the Greeks and Romans. Whether the part of the plant to be eaten is grown underground or above ground determines when the plants should be planted, according to the moon cycles."

http://greenanswers.com/q/95552/scie...e-used-farming

Last edited by sepht; 05-05-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Duke

no.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Knight

My overall completely evidence based personality wants to say no, but for me personally all of the astrology/numerology/etc describe the exact same thing about my personality and tendencies. It's pretty weird and spot on.

But like a full moon affecting peoples behaviors or daily horoscopes, no fucking way. That moon phase affecting schizophrenics does interest me though, but like you said there is probably another explanation for it.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetakishi View Post
That moon phase affecting schizophrenics does interest me though, but like you said there is probably another explanation for it.
I came here to talk shit, but after reading that, that is actually interesting shit
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Knight

Shit's interesting as shit. Shit! (I don't actually know that. I just went along with you.)
Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetakishi View Post
Shit's interesting as shit. Shit! (I don't actually know that. I just went along with you.)
i like
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanick View Post
Although in schizophrenic patients, a significant correlation between moon phases and behavioral change has been noted, but this could perhaps be explained another way. I'm not really sure but it's worth investigating, if only for kicks.
I did manage to find one study by the NIH.

Abstract

The idea that the stars and planets may influence human health and behavior can be traced to at least Roman times, and research suggests a high proportion of health professionals continue to hold this belief. Nevertheless, evidence for the supposed influence of the moon on human behavior has proved particularly elusive, and research has tended to suffer from weaknesses in methodology and data analysis. This article reports findings drawn from a re-analysis of data from a research study into the functioning of a sample of mentally ill people living in the community. The mental health and quality of life of a sample of 100 people were assessed on four occasions during a 30-month period. Data were aggregated to represent the span of one lunar month, with scores being allocated to the relevant week of the lunar cycle during which each assessment was made. Comparison of mean values across the weeks of the lunar cycle was preformed using the ANOVA, Results showed significant change at the time of the full moon only in subjects with a diagnosis of schizophrenia (n = 56), where deterioration was observed in three areas of psychopathology and one area of quality of life. Some implications for nursing practice are discussed, and it is suggested that future research into the possibility of a lunar effect on human life should focus on the direct measurement of functioning in people with schizophrenia.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Marquis

Certainly. Sort of. They're all part of the same thing. The moon and the stars in the sky are all part of the equation. It seems like one effects the other, but it's just because both are effected by the same thing. It's all... part of the same equation. We've picked up on the idea that when certain variables in the equation (like the stars) are one way, certain things happen.

It doesn't effect us directly. The cosmos is just floating on the same wave as us.