Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Society > The Inhumane Condition

Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Knight

Default Reproduction— a right or a privilege?

The human species cannot go on reproducing forever. Eventually it will place a strain on the available land and resources, and will likely lead to deforestation and pollution. Sustainable ways of living are possible, but I fear by the time human societies finally recognise that they have to become sustainable, there will exist far many more people than can be supported by a sustainable way of living, since sustainable sources of resources and energy cannot support as high population densities. In fact, I suspect that overpopulation will become a problem even before this happens, because human society operates within an economic system (which is not perfectly efficient) and there will not be enough jobs or affordable housing for the growing number of people. Is not birth control much preferable to starvation and death by exposure to the cold?

At some point every country may have to resort to the coerced abortion tactics that The Peoples Republic of China is using.

If there is only a limited number of people that can be sustainably supported on the planet, would it not make sense to favor those without severe physical/genetic defects? Is it fair to a child to be born with such severe defects that they cannot live anything resembling normal life? How many children should each person be allowed to have?

Will positive incentives and voluntary use of contraceptives be enough to control birth rates, or will the government have to resort to punishments, or even forced sterilisations? How should society deal with parents that continue to have many children but afford to take care of all of them? Should abortions be part of the early solution, or have we not become that desperate? Perhaps in some ways forced sterilisations are more humane than voluntary abortions? If we can justify that it is just a "clump of cells" that are being killed, surely we can justify taking away a human's ability to reproduce?

As I see it, in the long-term, human rights to reproduction could potentially be incompatible with the human right to life.

Now, in some of the developed countries we have seen declining birth rates, even negetive birth replacement rates. This is encouraging (at least in some ways). But it is by no means a guarantee of controlling population growth. I think reduced birth rates have more to do with increasing urbanisation than increasing living standards. The available open space becomes more limited, families do not want to be stuck in a small house or apartment with so many noisy children. In poor rural areas the children would spend most of the day outside, but in the cities there is not really any open space for them to play in near the place of living. It requires a parent to walk to the park with their children and supervise them, or often the park is not even within easy walking distance so the parent has to drive their children. The types of jobs also become different. As a society becomes more "developed", the price of land goes up. People cannot afford to be farmers, and seek better job opportunities in more crowded cities. People work for employers, rather than for themselves, and the economic structure changes. Women either seek new career opportunities, or become pressured into working to afford rent or mortgage payments. Children no longer become convenient to have. Women are not allowed to take them to work. In summary, much of the reason for people not wanting ot have children has to do with reduced standards of living in certain ways, despite the increased standard of living overall.

Because of this, I am not sure that what has worked for the Western countries can work for all the rest of the world. India, for example, is not having much success controlling its overpopulation, despite a rapid rate of development. And the longer we wait to control world population growth, the more difficult it will be to bring all the people into a "developed" state of living, to reduce population growth. Because of the prospect of future immigration across borders, this is a world problem. If we only concern ourselves with our own country, our country could still be faced with insurmountable problems in the future. It only takes a single big country to ruin it for all the other countries. For example, all the other countries could reduce fertility levels to only replacement levels, but still be subject to population growth if they continued to take in immigrants from India, which has high fertility rates and a rapidly multiplying population. I suppose a country could reduce its fertility rates to even lower than the replacement rate, to accomodate immigration (and the higher fertility rates of the recently arrived immigrants themselves), but this could lead to potential ethical, social, and political controversy, as it would essentially be the coerced replacement of one ethnicity by another.

One more thing. Human evolution also plays a role, and certain aspects of it can become evident much faster than many people realise due to simple natural selection over a few generations. If humans are "encouraged" to have fewer offspring, the ones that are more "resistant" to being encouraged will tend ot have more offspring. The gene pool will then tend ot accumulate progressively more genes that favor higher fertility rates in spite of actions by the government. In many ways genetics can have a strong influence on behavioral propensities. If for example condoms are given to all the men, the ones who do not like to use them, or are less responsible and do not always use them, will potentially father more children. Over several generations, the male sexual organ could become less sensitive, to the point that use of a condom would not allow as much sexual pleasure. More men would prefer not to use condoms. This is just one example, and there are countless other potential ways natural selection could become counterproductive to population control efforts.

So is the human ability to reproduce a right or a privilege?
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
DiStOrTiOn (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 3,177 Times in 2,084 Posts
Default Re: Reproduction— a right or a privilege?

There should never be any question about whether or not people should be able to procreate. Anyone who says otherwise is entertaining the same sorts of ideas that were prevalent during the most psychologically repressive periods of human history. It's not the fault of the common man for procreating; it is the fault of those who have enabled him to procreate at the rate at which he does today. The common man is actually forced, by law, to participate in the system that has enabled for such population growth (you are required to send your kids to school and to do this you must get them vaccinated and medically examined).

Most of the concerns about the overpopulation problem seem to stem from emotional problems with human nature. I very rarely encounter anyone who cares about this issue because they want to protect the environment. Most of these people are just misanthropic worry-warts with lingering racist and feminist tendencies. They are a perfect representation of the "victimhood" class: everyone is out to get them and no one is behaving nice.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Knight

Overpopulation is a real problem. If its effects are not already being felt now, it certainly has the potential to be a very big problem in the future.

Overpopulation is the main cause of the dire poverty in India, despite the country's rapid economic growth.
http://impoverishedindia.weebly.com/poverty.html
http://india.indymedia.org/en/2005/01/210036.shtml

77% percent of the people in India still live below the poverty line, and the population is rapidly expanding. The population of India grew by 181 million just in the last decade!!! In comparison, Brazil has 194 million people, and Canada only has about 34 million.

Last edited by Anders Hoveland; 05-05-2012 at 07:51 AM.
DiStOrTiOn (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Knight

Over population is not a problem in countries who don't suck.
Those that do, pump out tons of babies but they all die, unfortunately.

Japan for instance has a problem creating population growth.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Marquis

We need to vaccinate those poverty-riddled countries with gamete-destroying chemicals. And then their populations will correct themselves within 100 years.
WAN (05-06-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Knight

Reproduction is a right..that should be turned into a privilege.

Obviously this is greatly simplified and I cant be bothered to elaborate right now.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Archduke

Thanked 1,245 Times in 851 Posts

OP is tl;dr

privilege
Old 05-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Duke

Thanked 1,045 Times in 717 Posts

I am more inclined to call it a plague.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Knight

Overpopulation is not a problem and never will be. The earth is plentiful and can provide for us easily.

OVERCROWDING FUCKING CITIES and MODERN FARMING is a fucking problem.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselKit View Post
Overpopulation is not a problem and never will be. The earth is plentiful and can provide for us easily.

OVERCROWDING FUCKING CITIES and MODERN FARMING is a fucking problem.
I don't know statistical fact or anything on the subject so don't think I'm trying to shut you down, but I'm pretty sure like the OP says and what I've talked about with people in public, Overpopulation IS a problem and will only get worse if no one does anything about it, but that's not to say it isn't a solvable problem.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Count

too bad cumming in a tight vagina feels too good.

i've had friends who accidentally got their chick pregnant and i'd ask, "why the fuck didn't pull out?" they said the usual, "dude -- i couldn't help it... it just felt so good."
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEROS View Post
too bad cumming in a tight vagina feels too good.

i've had friends who accidentally got their chick pregnant and i'd ask, "why the fuck didn't pull out?" they said the usual, "dude -- i couldn't help it... it just felt so good."
IUD you fool.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
LongDickHipHopPerfection

Thanked 4,306 Times in 2,508 Posts

I view reproduction as a right, however, people who reproduce and their offspring do not have an inalienable right to receive my money and resources. If you choose to reproduce and cannot afford sustenance, you should be allowed to die unless others choose to support you.

From a more practical standpoint, mandatory birth control from all persons on public assistance.
CountBlah (05-09-2012)