Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Entertainment > Fragyard

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Snoopy's Avatar
Snoopy Snoopy is offline
Malkavian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bovine University
Thanks: 91
Thanked 5,719 Times in 3,749 Posts
Default Em Em Oh... and you.

PC gaming is on the rise again for the 3rd year with again very positive growth figures and many companies in the industry have been adopting new and interesting business models. Now I've been thinking about the future of PC games, PC gaming business model and the PC as multiplayer platform. Despite the bullshit I spam on these boards I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to this branch of the entertainment/IT industry. So anyway been thinking about the direction of PC games and it seems that MMO is after all the best way to move forward. But...

First it is important if my post is to make any kind of sense to forget the existence of World of Warcraft. In fact, it's best to just forget all MMORPGs. That genre and game mechanic have created an environment for the MMO that isn't very likable. What I mean is that it's a poor business model by today's standards and the game mechanics themselves are poor, outdated and geared towards a) the D&D nerd and b) the farmville addict.

So why do all games need to become MMOs? The PC has always been the pioneer in terms of online multiplayer. And while it has lost that position to console games like CoD and Halo before that it is yet again leading and leading strong. The key feature of any strong multiplayer game is to have a good community. A community that you can say you're proud of. I have noticed from experience that a good community is entirely dependent on game mechanics. What a game allows you to do and what a game doesn't allow you to do will shape the quality of the collective player base. The centralized model of an MMO is a great step forward in this regard.

Basically, single player games should stay single player games. From the moment a game has a multiplayer feature, it should become an MMO. And by that, I mean it should have a centralized community interface. Bear in mind that I still believe people should be able to host their own services for LANs or whatnot. But the bulk of the multiplayer should be done in one centralized place. This will create better cohesion between the players. Blizzard and Valve have somewhat the right idea with Batttle.net and Steam but at the moment their tech is still somewhat lacking and their business models aren't always kosher. Definitely a step in the right direction. Let's look at some of the key features the centralized MMO model should have.

- Anti-piracy platform.

Free to play, purchase per episode & microtransaction models will attract people and discourage piracy. The purchase per episode model is in my opinion one of the best ideas right now. Basically the game is split up or is developed per "episode". You initially pay a tiny fee (like $5) to get access to a basic part of the game. Look at it like a very large demo. If the game turns out to not to your liking after a few hours of play, you can just leave it without feeling ripped off. If you do end up liking the game and wanting more, you can purchase either the entire product or several pieces you're interested in. While this isn't as cheap as the free to play model, it also doesn't create the illusion that people with a lot of money are "cheating" in FTP. All models are acceptable if implemented properly and are in my opinion far better than both the single fee purchase and the subscription model.

- Anti-cheating platform.

Cheating in PC games due to the nature of the beast (3rd party programs & hackers) has always been a major issue. I'm not claiming that a centralized network will completely destroy cheating, but it will make it far more controllable than a system with distributed servers.

- Anit-griefing platform.

Some games are a griefer's wet dream. Especially games with a weak community. Being one of these nasty people myself I can speak from experience. A strong community will discourage griefing by giving the players the ability to "police" their own domain. Take the two longest running active MMOs of today; WoW and Eve. Now you may think from what you've heard that griefing in Eve is a real plague but this isn't really true. While you can harass people without punishment from the dev, you can only do so to the people who are generally either disruptive to the community to begin with or are "disconnected" from the community. The instance you become a nuisance to the bigger audience, you will be hunted down and your shit will be ruined. WoW on the other hand tries to hold the player's hand a bit too much by restricting his freedom. This is done to protect the player from griefing but ultimately only enables it more.

Essentially, a modern day MMO should have an open, un-instanced world where everyone can interact with everyone. Disruptive players will always be the minority and a minority will always lose in a multiplayer game.

- New hybrid genres.

MMOs should not be restricted by genre. What I mean is that MMOs should not all be Tolkien fantasy MMORPGs. Often you hear people talk about MMOFPS. But I say; why stop there? Has anyone played Total Air War F-22? In that game, you could play an AWACS commander and switch to the cockpit of any F-22 plane on the field. Imagine a game like this in an MMO setting. You can have the large scale turn based strategy, the smaller scale real time strategy, and the real time action from the first person perspective either from a vehicle or human or whatever. That's at least 3 genres you can incorporate in one game. This is ambitious, but don't forget that many of the greatest PC games were hybrid genres.

- Social aspect.

Back in the 90s if you wanted to learn about a game you had two options. You either tried to figure it out yourself or you bought a game magazine and hoped it had information about your game. Alternatively you could get together with people from school or an arcade hall and share information with them. Then came the Internet and finding information became a whole lot easier. People created BBS systems just like the one we post on now with the purpose of bringing like minded people together to share what they know. The next step is incorporating this into the game itself. Proper communication is crucial to forming a strong community. And while there should be outside communication as well, a strong and robust centralized communications system will be the corner stone of the game. Perhaps one of the biggest features of this system is the ability of the players to communicate with the devs directly.

- Death of modding?

3rd party addons and MMOs don't always work well together. Unless the dev had them in mind during development... Think of Minecraft and Terraria, with a powerful script editor... and the ability to alter in real time a world that is controlled and shaped by thousands of players. Modding in an MMO is definitely possible, but it would work a bit different from the regular modding. Basically the idea of modding in an MMO would revolve around a bunch of players getting together and creating in real time a new experience within the gameworld literally in a "dungeon master" style. Having a robust and built-in development kit would be crucial. Modded places could perhaps be instanced or special rules would apply there made by the group of people "owning" that place. This would go well together with a business model where groups of players interested in creating mods could buy or rent a piece of the game, which is literally represented by a server node, who in their turn could earn money from other players that play there through a D3 like auction house system. You could really go many ways with this tech.

- Problem?

If all of this was so easy it would already exist. Obviously there are a few issues that arise here. First and most obvious one is the tech. The reason that not every game is an MMO is the lacking of technology and the lack of money. However, we've come a long way since the release of WoW and luckily IT hasn't been sitting still. More and more companies are able to gain access to very powerful, affordable and energy friendly distributed computing. Datacenters around the world are constantly getting bigger, more powerful, very cost-effective, etc... that's why people are investing more and more into them. Over the course of the next few years we will be seeing the results of this evolution. For example; proper implementation of an "On-Live" model.

The other major hurdle is how do you get the players to not all be dicks in a game where everyone is connected with everyone at all time. This will always be a hit or miss. People are assholes one way or the other. But they do have the potential to be decent as well. The quality of the community will be determined by the balance of freedom & rules within the game mechanics. Too many strict rules and you will get entitlement crybaby wankers. Too much freedom and you get total anarchy. Finding this correct balance is the biggest challenge future game developers will face. The balance between rules & freedom, between effort & reward, between casual and competitive, etc... it never as as important.

While many people don't want this, or at least they think they don't want this, it is very likely that this is the way the industry is moving towards. Perhaps the term MMO is outdated and gives people the wrong idea. We shall see. A lot of companies are working on tech & software that will make this possible including big ones like Valve. PC gaming will evolve for better or worse. We have interesting times ahead of us.

(didn't feel like proof reading/spell check so ask me questions if something doesn't make sense)
__________________
International Scat Chariot Race Champion
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Haiti's Space Agency (05-06-2012), Oct (05-20-2012), Playground Legend (05-07-2012), Shrike (05-07-2012)
  #2  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Duke Zion's Avatar
Duke Zion Duke Zion is offline
Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zoklet
Thanks: 2,093
Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,310 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

This guy is a troll.
__________________
Somehow everything's gonna fall right into place, if we only had a way to make it fall faster everyday.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Pee Vee Proots, M.D. Pee Vee Proots, M.D. is offline
Marquis
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In a little plastic bag
Thanks: 852
Thanked 732 Times in 544 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

tl;dr
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Proots's Avatar
Proots Proots is offline
PROOTS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks: 1,215
Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,531 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

__________________
PROOTS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Haiti's Space Agency's Avatar
Haiti's Space Agency Haiti's Space Agency is online now
Haiti's Forum Agency
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thanks: 2,836
Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,855 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

good post very nice ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 PM
sepht's Avatar
sepht sepht is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Thanks: 1
Thanked 440 Times in 349 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
PC gaming is
I agree with all of your points and I would like to add that Tera, an MMO that was just released 5 days ago, is what I think drives home what the seasoned gamer wants.

It's a hybrid that completely disregards the old D&D style turned based fighting and instead utilizes real time action strategy. I see a lot of seasoned gamers going through the motions of a classic mmo and leveling up with the quest lines like sheep. However, Tera isn't about that. It actually allows you to test your skill by taking on monsters several levels higher than you are. This instantly turns the combat into a game of reflexes. If you get hit once or twice by a big monster you're dead, so you're constantly pushing yourself to dodge those big swipes of doom. Obviously grinding in this manner can't be kept up for long so you start making mistakes and you have to rest at a camp fire for a while to regroup your mind.

PvP allows players to make a choice on what difficulty they want. You can play it safe and never flag yourself, which allows you to be safe from harm most of the time... You can flag yourself to temporarily be in PvP for 3 minutes, or you can go all out and constantly be flagged, leaving you open for anyone to kill you. The way this mechanic works is that there is a reputation system. If you dishonorably kill people who are much weaker than you, you become an infamous outlaw that is open to be killed by anyone. 1 lowbie kill equals 300 minutes of time being an outlaw. So if you kill a fuck ton of children on newbie island your outlaw timer will be around 99999999999999999999999999999999999 minutes.
Reply With Quote
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
  #7  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Shrike's Avatar
Shrike Shrike is offline
Slightly Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Let's get scratchin'
Thanks: 449
Thanked 918 Times in 631 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Good thread.

I think MMOs have their place, and I think single player games also have their place. A single player game with a strong narrative that rewards me for playing and is interesting is something that I think there will always be a need and place for. I mean is a great novel lessened because it's "single player"? No. Well actually, you could make the point that it's a collaboration between you and the author, and the author's characters and writing in creating the story in your mind.

I think attempts at mixing the genres, like The Old Republic are not a good way to do it. What was the point of that game, making a shitty version of the KOTOR games, with a bit of pvp tacked on?

MMOs or whatever we might call them do definitely have the potential to be something great, and they can be a lot of fun. I think the best gameplay comes from that emergent thing of players making shit up and messing around, creating their own structures and alliances and feuds. That is far more powerful if it's real people making up the story as it goes along rather than being told it by the developers. An MMO developer in my mind should create the framework, and leave the players to do the rest. Something like Eve is a lot more successful in that regard than WoW and all it's failed clones.

However I think the way of paying for MMOs has still not really been solved yet in a satisfactory way. I mean in the old days you paid your money once and you got your game, got the disc or cart and played it till you were done with it. Then a sequel got made or didn't depending on how much people liked the first game and how well it sold. Sure that enticed a lot of companies to make shitty cash-in games because kids were dumb and you couldn't always tell whether a game would be good before you bought it. But it also made companies who cared about games try a lot harder to make a great, polished and satisfying game.

With MMOs, all the methods of payment kind of seep into the way the games are structured and how they keep dangling that hook in front of you, to keep you playing and to keep you paying.
Monthly subscriptions necessitate the grind, you have to grind for weeks to get that shiny ship or item or next level. That keeps you locked in to usually not very interesting gameplay for the promise of a reward once you unlock the next carrot.
Free to play or freemium games still have the grind to get that tier X heavy tank etc, but they offer shortcuts for money such as premium account status or premium tanks to let you get there faster than someone who doesn't pay. The "free to play" title in these games is actually a pretty big misnomer, as if you get really into one of these games, you can end up spending a lot more money over time than you would if you could just buy the game outright.
And episodic releases, has anyone actually done that successfully? Valve flirted with it then just kind of gave up ever finishing the HL2 episodes and went off to make multiplayer games, I guess Telltale Games made those Sam and Max episodes, though I don't know how well they did sales-wise...

I dunno, I think MMOs have their place, but man are they ever a time-sink. They're like a second job (or first job). They're like crack cocaine to the people stuck in their addiction. The endless replayability is their greatest strength and greatest weakness. Greatest strength because it keeps people playing for years, and greatest weakness because it makes them feel kind of cheap as an experience a lot of the time. It's pretty hard work to keep it fresh, keep generating new content that makes the players think that they aren't doing the same exact shit over and over again.
A great single player game is all the sweeter because it didn't last for ever, and you can look forward to the next one coming out and do other shit in the meantime. An MMO that last for basically ever can really pall and get tedious as fuck. If it becomes your life, that sucks dick; life is boring precisely because it goes on forever and ever. A movie is awesome because it packs a slice of life into a couple of hours, everything is heightened and interesting, the fat has to be cut out.

Last edited by Shrike; 05-07-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 AM
The Pat-Man's Avatar
The Pat-Man The Pat-Man is offline
Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Thanks: 2,661
Thanked 2,995 Times in 2,068 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

as much as id like to pretend that in 5 years ill pay 50 bucks for a game with awesome single player content on a disk and own it forever, snoopys right. micro transactions, cloud distribution, and pure multiplayer are the future.
__________________
everything i post is fantasy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Shrike's Avatar
Shrike Shrike is offline
Slightly Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Let's get scratchin'
Thanks: 449
Thanked 918 Times in 631 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pat-Man View Post
as much as id like to pretend that in 5 years ill pay 50 bucks for a game with awesome single player content on a disk and own it forever, snoopys right. micro transactions, cloud distribution, and pure multiplayer are the future.
I'm not saying you need to have it on a disc, i'm a great fan of things like Steam. But to act like pure multiplayer games funded by micro-transactions are the only games that people will be interesting in playing, or making, is silly.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Proots's Avatar
Proots Proots is offline
PROOTS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks: 1,215
Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,531 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
I'm not saying you need to have it on a disc, i'm a great fan of things like Steam. But to act like pure multiplayer games funded by micro-transactions are the only games that people will be interesting in playing, or making, is silly.

If these are the kind of games that make more money than your typical single-player games, then a lot of companies are going to push for micro-transactions/subscriptions. After all, that's where the money is.

You're also right, because of course there will always be people who prefer to play an alternative. While these kinds of games will never disappear - there sure looks like there's going to be an increase in MMO's, subscriptions and whatnot.
__________________
PROOTS
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Yurpen's Avatar
Yurpen Yurpen is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA Ontario
Thanks: 289
Thanked 375 Times in 310 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-11-2012, 03:08 AM
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Gingervitis
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Facepalm Island
Thanks: 972
Thanked 769 Times in 553 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

/Posting in a non-troll thread.

I think it's clear where the industry is going in terms of distribution, but I've never really been interested in MMOs almost entirely out of their design. It seems like a huge time sink, and free time is something I rarely have these days.

But I digress. To be honest I agree with pretty much everything Snoopy said. I'm most interested in the actual game design and gameplay, so of course I've been put off with games like WoW which look jerky and bland. Of course I have almost no experience with MMOs at all because of that impression; I want the same kind of gameplay, settings and sense of immersion I get from some of my favorite single player games. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

I'll tell you what. Just for an example, take Half Life 2, one of my all time favorite games. If - and this is a big if - you took the detailed settings and gameplay and somehow expanded it into a massive open world - the earth today, only completely ruined and run by the combine - and then open this world up to an online community, it would be TOTALLY boss. I would happily set aside the time and money for such a game. An endless game of survival, rebellion, and exploration; and creativity what with its physics engine and all. Think Garrys Mod on a grand scale. The characters in the main game could become friendly NPC's, or enemies depending on what you do with yourself. Just allow the option to fix and use cars found in the game world.

Of course I'm just day dreaming. I don't think such a game of such intricate detail and vast scope is technically possible, but never say never regarding the future. I think my point is, there's potential for MMO's to meet the tastes of just about any gamer. I'll be sure to pay more attention as they evolve over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 AM
The Pat-Man's Avatar
The Pat-Man The Pat-Man is offline
Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Thanks: 2,661
Thanked 2,995 Times in 2,068 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

sort of looking forward to planetside 2, on the topic of mmos.
__________________
everything i post is fantasy
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:06 AM
shopping cart for brains's Avatar
shopping cart for brains shopping cart for brains is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wall of voodoo
Thanks: 1,193
Thanked 891 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Snoopy, how do you feel about Tera? I picked it up by trading a few shit games I didn't care about anymore and ended up getting it for around 20 bucks so I'm at least playing the first month. Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettaaaay good so far, in my opinion that is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Playground Legend's Avatar
Playground Legend Playground Legend is offline
Wealthy Merchant
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Eagle's Nest
Thanks: 3
Thanked 121 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

The most groundbreaking games in the industry have been a perfect blend of genres ranging from the Battlezone and C&C Renegade (now being updated in a standalone UDK mod Renegade-X www.renegade-x.com) FPS / RTS hybrid to Battleground Europe's MMO / FPS combo. We have merely touched the surface of the endless possibilities provided by genre integration.

Just like the timeless classics in music and cinema, great video games cannot be categorized into a single genre, and if they are, they take home the gold every time.
__________________
There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Snoopy's Avatar
Snoopy Snoopy is offline
Malkavian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bovine University
Thanks: 91
Thanked 5,719 Times in 3,749 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Township Rebellion View Post
I think it's clear where the industry is going in terms of distribution, but I've never really been interested in MMOs almost entirely out of their design. It seems like a huge time sink, and free time is something I rarely have these days.
I think you sort of missed this point in my post. The fact that old MMOs are such a huge time sink is not a property that is inherited from the MMOs nature, but rather from the business model the MMO uses. The developer wants you to do borderline tedious and repetitive stuff in order to delay your progress as much as possible. Because the longer you play, the more money they make. That is a downside that comes from the subscription based business model, not the MMO itself.

MMOs developed from the standpoint of more modern business models and other genres won't have this problem. Obviously, every game can potentially be a time sink. It depends on how good you want to be at it. When I was playing first person shooters like Counter-Strike and Quake 3 competitively, I spend at least 6 hours daily playing them. At the very least. Of course casual players played between 10 to 20 hours a week. They could never be as good as the competitive players, but they were still good enough to have fun on public servers.

With subscription based MMOs, your skill doesn't come from the training you get from the time you invest. It literally comes from the amount of crap you collect from the time spent playing. Gold, skill points, levels, pig snouts, whatever. So casual players generally don't get anywhere in subscription based MMOs because they simply won't invest the amount of time that is required to be proficient at the game. Or they feel like their progress is too slow and quit. Again, this won't be an issue when developers leave the subscription based model behind.

Another reason is that old MMOs are very primitive in terms of what's possible gameplay ways. Coding an MMO is extremely difficult. The sheer amount of failed MMOs proves this. The reason why we don't see MMOs in genres other than the RPG is because the RPG is the easiest to accomplish. Not an action RPG, but rather a weird hybrid between turn based combat and free movement. In games like WoW, you cannot aim. You have to select an opponent and you attack him with hotkeys that automatically cycle actions. This is extremely simplistic and boring gameplay. There is no aiming involved, there is no movement tactics involved, you cannot avoid incoming damage, etc... Technology has evolved though, and now we're getting more and more advanced combat models where the player has a lot more freedom. Hence, other genres will be possible to enter the MMO field.
__________________
International Scat Chariot Race Champion
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Shrike's Avatar
Shrike Shrike is offline
Slightly Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Let's get scratchin'
Thanks: 449
Thanked 918 Times in 631 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Well that's more a design issue rather than a coding issue. Unless you meant 'coding' as developing a game generally.

I think the problem with a lot of modern games is that the developers are all gamers, all grew up with games and so only take their influences from games. It's still a pretty insular community. Sometimes they will self-consciously try and add a filmic influence; the GTA games, LA Noire etc; but those are kind of just taking the visuals and transplanting them directly into the games without much thought.

A lot of the trouble with games is they don't really know what they want. When you have some cool story or setting idea, it lessens the impact having to 'gamify' it, make it a playable environment or feature. Books and movies, tv etc have the huge advantage narrative-wise that they dictate to the audience what is going to happen, and how they will see it through camera angles and so on. But games have to playable by people, and they fuck stuff up. Adding the MMO world on top of that, with hundreds of thousands or millions of players at once, makes it really hard to tell a story or have a believable world and make the actions that the players are doing in that world not look and feel stupid.

I mean imagine a Zelda MMO with hundreds of Links running around Hyrule field killing monsters. It would be stupid as hell, right? But then who would settle for being a shopkeeper in the market or whatever when they could be Link? Like in the Star Wars games, why does anyone ever play anything other than a Jedi?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Snoopy's Avatar
Snoopy Snoopy is offline
Malkavian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bovine University
Thanks: 91
Thanked 5,719 Times in 3,749 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
I mean imagine a Zelda MMO with hundreds of Links running around Hyrule field killing monsters. It would be stupid as hell, right? But then who would settle for being a shopkeeper in the market or whatever when they could be Link? Like in the Star Wars games, why does anyone ever play anything other than a Jedi?
A KOTOR MMO was a retarded idea from the start. We all knew it. I knew it and bought the game anyway like a retard. Threw it away after a week. Literally a week. I was too much of a KOTOR fan to stay away from it. Didn't care about the MMO as long as the story was good but it was shit. They made a WoW clone and used the Star Wars franchise to sell it. And boy was it marketable. But selling an MMO is easy compared to keeping your subscribers. They've lost 300-400k people since february. Fuck em. Last EA game I ever bought. That company is dead to me. I don't care if they make the best game ever they can fuck off.
__________________
International Scat Chariot Race Champion
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 PM
33% God's Avatar
33% God 33% God is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks: 169
Thanked 328 Times in 252 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pat-Man View Post
and pure multiplayer are the future.
I should cut your dick off for even making a statement like that.
__________________
Zombi
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
shopping cart for brains's Avatar
shopping cart for brains shopping cart for brains is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wall of voodoo
Thanks: 1,193
Thanked 891 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33% God View Post
I should cut your dick off for even making a statement like that.
it's clearly what makes the most money with the least amount of effort, how do you not see how this is the future of gaming?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 PM
33% God's Avatar
33% God 33% God is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks: 169
Thanked 328 Times in 252 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopping cart for brains View Post
it's clearly what makes the most money with the least amount of effort, how do you not see how this is the future of gaming?
Because,

1. Not everyone has the internet.
2. Not everyone wants to play with other people.

When I play games, I want a story, characters, pacing, soundtrack at the highs and lows, direction,etc. There's maybe 2, 3 at most, multiplayer games I play. I don't want other people involved in my games. I don't play games as a competition between a bunch of people with a different coat of paint. Nothing brings the atmosphere to something like Silent Hill or Bioshock than human interaction. It really pulls me into that moment in the story with the plot twist when I have some person in a headset or a bunch of text on my screen. When I put a DVD in, I don't want to see a bunch of retards standing against a back drop doing improv, I want to see a directed movie with a script and cinematography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopping cart for brains View Post
makes the most money with the least amount of effort
So does Burger King but I don't claim them as "futuristic food." You're just putting out shit requiring no effort to sell to a mass of retards. Don't hijack my hobby and pander to the lowest common denominator (although many argue it's already happened.)
__________________
Zombi

Last edited by 33% God; 05-17-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 AM
shopping cart for brains's Avatar
shopping cart for brains shopping cart for brains is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wall of voodoo
Thanks: 1,193
Thanked 891 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33% God View Post
Because,

1. Not everyone has the internet.
2. Not everyone wants to play with other people.

When I play games, I want a story, characters, pacing, soundtrack at the highs and lows, direction,etc. There's maybe 2, 3 at most, multiplayer games I play. I don't want other people involved in my games. I don't play games as a competition between a bunch of people with a different coat of paint. Nothing brings the atmosphere to something like Silent Hill or Bioshock than human interaction. It really pulls me into that moment in the story with the plot twist when I have some person in a headset or a bunch of text on my screen. When I put a DVD in, I don't want to see a bunch of retards standing against a back drop doing improv, I want to see a directed movie with a script and cinematography.



So does Burger King but I don't claim them as "futuristic food." You're just putting out shit requiring no effort to sell to a mass of retards. Don't hijack my hobby and pander to the lowest common denominator (although many argue it's already happened.)
sure, whatever you say. except know that 100% of every reason you just gave is a matter of your own opinion, which just so happens to not be the opinion of the big figures in the video game industry.

whatever makes the most money is going to the future of video games, and right now that compass is CLEARLY pointing towards an MMO future. but don't get me wrong and think that this is what I personally think is best for gaming, because it obviously isn't. however, from a technological and marketing standpoint, multiplayer is the only way to go.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 AM
The Pat-Man's Avatar
The Pat-Man The Pat-Man is offline
Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Thanks: 2,661
Thanked 2,995 Times in 2,068 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

33% faggot is a fucking naive dreamer.
__________________
everything i post is fantasy
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Gingervitis
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Facepalm Island
Thanks: 972
Thanked 769 Times in 553 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

You know what though? There will always be a market for single player games. Sure, the reality is all the big companies will continue to go after the big bucks with the big multiplayer games, but don't be surprised if you continue to see smaller devs making games for guys like 33%.

And like me for that matter, I think I'll be even less likely to buy new games if none of them are good SP titles.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM
shopping cart for brains's Avatar
shopping cart for brains shopping cart for brains is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wall of voodoo
Thanks: 1,193
Thanked 891 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Township Rebellion View Post
You know what though? There will always be a market for single player games. Sure, the reality is all the big companies will continue to go after the big bucks with the big multiplayer games, but don't be surprised if you continue to see smaller devs making games for guys like 33%.

And like me for that matter, I think I'll be even less likely to buy new games if none of them are good SP titles.
Of course, things change and there will always be indie developers producing cool shit all the time. Though the sad fact remains that major developers are going for the MMO model for the time being, as retarded as it may seem. Except when major developers do make games intended for singleplayer, there's always going to be that shitty tacked on multiplayer.

I picked up a Gameinformer today and read an article about how Bethesda got the rights to make a Fallout MMO. It's probably an old issue though and old news, but I don't keep up with these sort of things because it makes me rage hard.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 AM
33% God's Avatar
33% God 33% God is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks: 169
Thanked 328 Times in 252 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pat-Man View Post
33% faggot is a fucking naive dreamer.
Sorry I'm not getting a boner for the next game where I can shoot Guy A with a different gun and new map. Then, I can be told I pay for a "subscription service" to buy new garbage maps and weapons to keep myself relevant in the game space. I'd rather never touch a video game again than to fall into that scum pit. Absolutely no difference than saying "Well, the music is complete shit, but Backstreet Boys is a hit! Let's just keep doing that!"

Guess I'll have to hold onto my copies of Silent Hill 2 and Shadows of the Damned to remember the "good old days."

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopping cart for brains View Post
The sad fact remains that major developers are going for the MMO model for the time being, as retarded as it may seem. .
So how about you STOP supporting the bullshit if you know it's retarded? It's like how you go to church for mom on Christmas because she believes it. Fuck that. I missed my cousin's wedding because I don't believe that religious nonsense. Stop pandering to the ass fucks and grow some testicles. I promise you, you won't be upset you missed out on the newest online game because you'll be too busy giving your time to game developers that give a fuck and aren't following the trapper keeper, pogs, or whatever the newest trend is.
__________________
Zombi

Last edited by 33% God; 05-20-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:20 AM
WAN WAN is offline
Slightly Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thanks: 197
Thanked 508 Times in 421 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

itt: fags
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 AM
WAN WAN is offline
Slightly Grander Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thanks: 197
Thanked 508 Times in 421 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33% God View Post
Because,

1. Not everyone has the internet.
2. Not everyone wants to play with other people.

When I play games, I want a story, characters, pacing, soundtrack at the highs and lows, direction,etc. There's maybe 2, 3 at most, multiplayer games I play. I don't want other people involved in my games. I don't play games as a competition between a bunch of people with a different coat of paint. Nothing brings the atmosphere to something like Silent Hill or Bioshock than human interaction. It really pulls me into that moment in the story with the plot twist when I have some person in a headset or a bunch of text on my screen. When I put a DVD in, I don't want to see a bunch of retards standing against a back drop doing improv, I want to see a directed movie with a script and cinematography.
but the way you talk about it you might as well go see a movie though?

i thought computer games were fun because they were meant to be interactive?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 AM
shopping cart for brains's Avatar
shopping cart for brains shopping cart for brains is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wall of voodoo
Thanks: 1,193
Thanked 891 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33% God View Post
So how about you STOP supporting the bullshit if you know it's retarded? It's like how you go to church for mom on Christmas because she believes it. Fuck that. I missed my cousin's wedding because I don't believe that religious nonsense. Stop pandering to the ass fucks and grow some testicles. I promise you, you won't be upset you missed out on the newest online game because you'll be too busy giving your time to game developers that give a fuck and aren't following the trapper keeper, pogs, or whatever the newest trend is.
cool metaphor, well.. remember how Hitler rose to power and ruled Nazi Germany?

What am I supposed to do? Play Fallout 2 and whine about the 'good ol' days'?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Idiot Idiot is offline
Wealthy Merchant
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thanks: 24
Thanked 285 Times in 77 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Just dropping by to say Snoopy I didn't read any of the shit you wrote. You're a faggot with stupid opinions about everything and you play/like the world's shittiest games.

Your thread sucks and fuck you Snoopy. That's all.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Snoopy's Avatar
Snoopy Snoopy is offline
Malkavian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bovine University
Thanks: 91
Thanked 5,719 Times in 3,749 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
Just dropping by to say Snoopy I didn't read any of the shit you wrote. You're a faggot with stupid opinions about everything and you play/like the world's shittiest games.

Your thread sucks and fuck you Snoopy. That's all.
__________________
International Scat Chariot Race Champion
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Oct's Avatar
Oct Oct is offline
cunt
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Korova Milk bar
Thanks: 1,001
Thanked 1,158 Times in 866 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Yeah the Tolkien like games are becoming more of a cliche, i think they have really milked the fuck out of that idea but thats what games like WoW are made on. A million virgins (not all) who can be anyone online, escapism. It just so happens the mystical fantasy is genre is one of the most successful around if not the most successful. Maybe more research into what type of games people want to see incorporated into online gaming would be much better. In all honesty i fucking hate WoW, too time consuming, repetitive and not appealing in the slightest but hey, that's just me. COD has done really well nailing the war genre of online gaming, Battlefield tried and was good but needs a lot more tweaking. What i do like about BF is being able to fly planes, drive tanks etc. So more imput of what we want to see is needed.

Good post anyway.
__________________
"That man of loneliness and mystery.
Scarce to seem to smile, and seldom heard to sigh"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:38 PM
33% God's Avatar
33% God 33% God is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks: 169
Thanked 328 Times in 252 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAN View Post
but the way you talk about it you might as well go see a movie though?

i thought computer games were fun because they were meant to be interactive?
I'm not only talking about the Gears of Wars of video games where it's the "summer block buster." Take something like Bayonetta. It's fun, has a story, cool characters, etc, but it wasn't some huge Call of Duty selling block buster.

I'm not saying there's no place for multiplayer games, I'm saying we need a balance of them. I like fighting games, but I don't want 95% of games coming out to be fighting games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopping cart for brains View Post
cool metaphor, well.. remember how Hitler rose to power and ruled Nazi Germany?

What am I supposed to do? Play Fallout 2 and whine about the 'good ol' days'?
And how did WW2 turn out? The people who didn't join the Nazis won and we all realized what a dumb fucking idea Hitler had.

And what should you do? Go buy a copy of Dear Esther, or Arkham City, or any game that doesn't pander to the "everything needs to be online or bust!" crowd of fucktards. Give those developers money to show you don't need to be "Online game involving leveling up #2353" just to survive in the industry today. Just go look for anything Platinum Games has put out and buy it. They make quality.
__________________
Zombi
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM
shopping cart for brains's Avatar
shopping cart for brains shopping cart for brains is offline
Duke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wall of voodoo
Thanks: 1,193
Thanked 891 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Em Em Oh... and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33% God View Post
And how did WW2 turn out? The people who didn't join the Nazis won and we all realized what a dumb fucking idea Hitler had.

And what should you do? Go buy a copy of Dear Esther, or Arkham City, or any game that doesn't pander to the "everything needs to be online or bust!" crowd of fucktards. Give those developers money to show you don't need to be "Online game involving leveling up #2353" just to survive in the industry today. Just go look for anything Platinum Games has put out and buy it. They make quality.
I still think you're completely misunderstanding me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shopping cart for brains View Post
things change
For the time being I personally have no hope for much of the video game industry, and that's because I haven't picked up a game that I could enjoy enough to play it all the way through to the end in roughly 2 years. I'm almost positive the last 'new' game that I beat/completed was Borderlands. That was a cool game and a solid representation of how multiplayer 'should' work.

Currently I give no fucks what happens to video games. They're ruining their own party with shitty gameplay, rehashed environments/characters, AND FUCKING DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT RELEASED WITH THE GAME (rageragerage). Not to mention 60 dollars is getting way too expensive for a piece of shit game that I'll probably only play for a week, if that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Hot Topics
Join our Chatroom!
Users: 8
Messages/minute: 0
Topic: "Only rule: be nice or I'll cut your fucking face off, dumbshit"
Users: 27
Messages/minute: 1.6
Topic: "http://codelove.org :: Below is above in 2 codes 1 love. :: wh..."
Users: 18
Messages/minute: 5
Topic: "http://www.literotica...."
Advertisements
Your ad could go right HERE! Contact us!

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.