Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > This Just In!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Duke

Send a message via MSN to White Jesus
Default Re: Google self-driving cars coming to Nevada

To me, someone who is too visually impaired to obtain a licence this is fucking exciting. Shame the cars will look space buggies.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,601 Posts

They would have to be complete imbeciles, not to mention blood-guilty, to put something like that on the road en-mass and not expect HUGE problems resulting in HUGE causalities. It's all great on paper, and it all looks neat as you please on a few idiot-proof tests, but put thousands, even hundreds, of those out there in force and there's going to be a hell of a lot of body bags on sale.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuperxtreme View Post
Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/25520...a_streets.html

Pretty awesome that these cars are becoming a reality.
Wow, yeah. This kinda reminds me of 'I, Robot'. Cool
Old 05-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Gingervitis

Thumbs Down Re: Google self-driving cars coming to Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachosomoza View Post
People like you are holding humanity back. You want to hold on to shit that nobody cares about anymore or that is obsolete for emotional value. Let it go.
Fuck off.

I don't care if you don't care about driving, but how would you like it if the world banned your favoritest thing in the world to do?

Look just because you can't drive doesn't mean everybody should abandon driving. However, I wouldn't say no to progress, which is only why I'd accept them on the roads so long as their AI is good enough to handle human drivers. So long as it's possible for me to drive my car you can roll around in your gay little sofa on wheels all you want. If coexistence simply isn't possible then a solution will have to be reached. If it involves prohibition then you'll forever have gangs of outlaws building self-controlled hot rods in their garages, built to disturb the peace. They will never fully disappear.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Count

fuck that -- i want my car to fly.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 AM
Duke

Send a message via MSN to White Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SpectraL View Post
They would have to be complete imbeciles, not to mention blood-guilty, to put something like that on the road en-mass and not expect HUGE problems resulting in HUGE causalities. It's all great on paper, and it all looks neat as you please on a few idiot-proof tests, but put thousands, even hundreds, of those out there in force and there's going to be a hell of a lot of body bags on sale.
Gotta thin out the population somehow
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Baron

Send a message via AIM to cronic5 Send a message via MSN to cronic5

I prefer to drive myself.

Although, some mornings I wake up, tired as fuck, and I wish my car could drive itself.

When I am drunk as hell, and I know I can't drive, I would much prefer to have my car drive me home instead of paying a taxi.

Good idea, but it better have manual override.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronic5 View Post
...Good idea, but it better have manual override.
When you're traveling inside thousands of pounds of metal at speeds of 70-80 mph a manual override won't do you squat. You'd be crushed flatter than a bug on the wall under a flyswatter.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Cat Fucker

Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,945 Posts

Imagine someone drunkenly entering the wrong address, passing out, and ending up halfway across the country. Oh, and what about pranks? Tie someone up, halfway across. Terrorism? Go into building, detonate. Killing people? Override/damage whatever would prevent it from hitting people and speed limiter, send it into a crowd during an event like Critical Mass or Occupy. Drug runs? Maybe the cartels will use their funds for some modifications.

This could have some interesting implications.

Quote:
People like you are holding humanity back. You want to hold on to shit that nobody cares about anymore or that is obsolete for emotional value. Let it go.
You mean like communism?
“Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible.” - Carl Jung
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Mutant Funk Drink (05-12-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Grander Duke

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post

You mean like communism?
lol buuuuuuuuuuurnnnnnnnn
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Baron

Quote:
When you're traveling inside thousands of pounds of metal at speeds of 70-80 mph a manual override won't do you squat. You'd be crushed flatter than a bug on the wall under a flyswatter.
Um, so the fuck what? I mean so that I can actually drive it when I want, not get out of an accident, you stupid fuck.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Um, so the fuck what? I mean so that I can actually drive it when I want, not get out of an accident, you stupid fuck.
All I'm saying is that a manual override will be completely useless at that kind of speed, and I'm sure this car will be able to reach those speeds. To avoid a collision coming in from close range at the edge of the sensors with that kind of speed would take human control to avoid. Even a computer couldn't handle that kind of reaction time and necessary coordination. The human brain is billions of times more complex and sophisticated than even the most powerful computers we have today. No machine could ever better the human capability, nor will it ever. It's just plain logic, that's all. No insult intended. A manual override at that speed will not give you a chance in hell because the automated system would have ALREADY put a chain of events into play which could most probably then make recovery unattainable/uncorrectable by way of human control. That's all I'm saying.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Destroyer of worlds

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,129 Posts

Spec, stop pulling shit out of your ass.

"This car" is a damn Prius and here it is doing it's thing, as fast as it can:

Seriously, gtfo with your trolling.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,219 Times in 858 Posts

because we need yet another way to make retards think theyre invincibly safe inside their cars while driving.
CountBlah (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuperxtreme View Post
Spec, stop pulling shit out of your ass.

"This car" is a damn Prius and here it is doing it's thing, as fast as it can:

Google's Ass-kicking Self-Driving Car - YouTube

Seriously, gtfo with your trolling.
1. Your video shows no highway-speed test being done. Try 100 km/h.
2. The track is preset with easy navigation features.
3. No surprise hazards appear in the course of the run of the track.
^
All of these occur under real driving conditions. What we saw in your video does not. Sorry, man, but you're just plain wrong on this one.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Baron

Quote:
You're like the opposite of Rust. You just started off with a premise, added no data or logic, and then went in on an opinionated emotion filled monologue about something that you don't agree with personally.

Driving yourself is not obsolete. That's simply retarded. My reasons were all about personal-responsibility, personal accountability and personal freedom. This kind of technology would immediately be government legislated and subsequently have a high chance of abuse.

I usually agree with your posts, but in this instance, kindly fuck off.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Baron

Quote:
All I'm saying is that a manual override will be completely useless at that kind of speed, and I'm sure this car will be able to reach those speeds. To avoid a collision coming in from close range at the edge of the sensors with that kind of speed would take human control to avoid. Even a computer couldn't handle that kind of reaction time and necessary coordination. The human brain is billions of times more complex and sophisticated than even the most powerful computers we have today. No machine could ever better the human capability, nor will it ever. It's just plain logic, that's all. No insult intended. A manual override at that speed will not give you a chance in hell because the automated system would have ALREADY put a chain of events into play which could most probably then make recovery unattainable/uncorrectable by way of human control. That's all I'm saying.
But...I don't care. I actually enjoy driving. I'd likely only use the car to drive me when I am drunk, tired, or just want to play video games in my backseat.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
But...I don't care. I actually enjoy driving. I'd likely only use the car to drive me when I am drunk, tired, or just want to play video games in my backseat.
You enjoy dieing in a mangled wreak, too? Go for it.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Destroyer of worlds

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,129 Posts

As if people don't already die in mangled wreaks.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Selfish Cunt

Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,641 Posts

this is actually a really interesting concept to think about tbh. the possibilities are endless. for 1, i wonder how long after this becomes the norm, it will be before we see completely driver-less vehicles on the road. for instance in haulage, big companies will hate the idea of paying drivers that literally sit there for nothing for the vast majority of the time and would push for driver-less. would people be able to send there car to pick up and drop off items? or run it to the shop on its own for a service?

some things malice said gave me some thoughts too. the fact that terrorists could remotely drive a bomb into a busy part of town. the cops would certainly use the idea of that to sell everyone on them having remote immobilization capabilities.

and also someone mentioned on cheaper vehicle insurance. i think what you saved on insurance would be spent on extra vehicle costs, things like regular servicing and parts. i mean think about when you buy a new computer or laptop. for the first 2 or 3 years its usually pretty good and you have little problems with it. then you gradually start to notice the odd bug or lag starting here and there. you couldn't afford such error on a vehicle, so i'm guessing you'll have to buy a whole new on board computer every year or two. i bet they wont be so cheap.
"I have gone through the mental exercise of spending a lifetime in prison and of dying for this cause. I have let the fear pass through me and with clarity commit myself fully to the mission and values outlined in the Silk Road charter". - DPR
Old 05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Howie Hubler

Thanked 1,089 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
1. Your video shows no highway-speed test being done. Try 100 km/h.
2. The track is preset with easy navigation features.
3. No surprise hazards appear in the course of the run of the track.
^
All of these occur under real driving conditions. What we saw in your video does not. Sorry, man, but you're just plain wrong on this one.
Spectral, you are truly retarded. That video showed the car maxing out at 70 km/h over a course that is much more demanding than highway driving. If you had any understanding of embedded systems/sensors, then you realize that computers are much more capable than humans. In terms of accuracy and reaction time. Encoding fail-proof diagnostics is something extremely easy for a major car manufacturer or tech-firm to do.

Learn a little about the technology and contribute intelligent thought. Automous cars are nothing new, DARPA has been working on this for almost a decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driverless_car#History

stop being a conspiracy-loving, ultra-skeptical bitch motherfucker. You are about to be left in the dust you old fuck. Just like my 80 year old grandma that refuses to fly on airplanes.
curioushat (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Mind telling me how cops or other LE agencies will do to stop people if it's entirely replaced ?

Can't wait for bank robbers to outrun the pigs on bicycles because the cars will refuse "risky" moves.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Howie Hubler

Thanked 1,089 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshrac View Post
Mind telling me how cops or other LE agencies will do to stop people if it's entirely replaced ?

Can't wait for bank robbers to outrun the pigs on bicycles because the cars will refuse "risky" moves.
stupid question by a stupid motherfucker. Not worth my time to answer....
Old 05-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Selfish Cunt

Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roasted View Post
Spectral, you are truly retarded. That video showed the car maxing out at 70 km/h over a course that is much more demanding than highway driving. If you had any understanding of embedded systems/sensors, then you realize that computers are much more capable than humans. In terms of accuracy and reaction time. Encoding fail-proof diagnostics is something extremely easy for a major car manufacturer or tech-firm to do.

Learn a little about the technology and contribute intelligent thought. Automous cars are nothing new, DARPA has been working on this for almost a decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driverless_car#History

stop being a conspiracy-loving, ultra-skeptical bitch motherfucker. You are about to be left in the dust you old fuck. Just like my 80 year old grandma that refuses to fly on airplanes.
to be fair i watched a program a few months back that showed this exact car driving and it was out on the roads. and it did perform very well, altho i don't recall it going particularly fast. i'll see if i can find it, i know it had steven hawking presenting it(lol i know).

however one car performing well for the camera is a far cry from millions of them performing perfectly all day every day 24/7.

e: found it,brave new world. here's links if anyone wants to watch it. the first is probly geo-blocked to the UK tho

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/b...en-hawking/4od

http://www.watchseries-online.eu/emb...3B1-+Episode+1

http://www.watchseries-online.eu/201...episode-1.html
"I have gone through the mental exercise of spending a lifetime in prison and of dying for this cause. I have let the fear pass through me and with clarity commit myself fully to the mission and values outlined in the Silk Road charter". - DPR

Last edited by is all mememememe with me; 05-11-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roasted View Post
stupid question by a stupid motherfucker. Not worth my time to answer....
Watcha want nigga

I like fucking mothers btw
Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Wealthy Merchant

These autodriving cars are incredibly efficient and will save loads of time.

Think about on the interstate, would there be a need for a speed limit at all? because all of the cars are aware of each other.

At a traffic light it will know if you're going straight, right, left, etc. and change accordingly.

In fact no need for traffic lights as cars will slipstream past each other at intersections...

Fewer crashes, due to the autonomous system's increased reliability compared to human drivers

Increased roadway capacity and reduce traffic congestion due to reduced need of safety gaps for example by platooning, and the ability to better manage traffic flow.

Optimization - autonomous cars could find the fastest way to go from one place to another, taking into account traffic congestion.

Reduce oil consumption and air pollution due to better manage traffic flow and by removing safety features.

Relief of vehicle occupants from driving and navigation chores.

Removal of constraints on occupant's state - it would not matter if the occupants were too young, too old or if their frame of mind were not suitable to drive a traditional car. Furthermore, disabilities would no longer matter.

Elimination of redundant passengers - humans are not required to take the car anywhere, as the robotic car can drive empty to wherever it is required.

Alleviation of parking scarcity as cars could drop off passengers, park far away where space is not scarce, and return as needed to pick up passengers.

It has been proposed that since cars spend 96% of their time idle, using autonomous cars could boostcar-sharing services such as Zipcar and Getaround, and thus reduce the number of vehicles worldwide.

Reduce the amount of space required for vehicle parking.

Reduce the costs and inconvenience of employing drivers (for example for public transport or commercial vehicles).

Since autonomous cars would not violate the law and would be less likely to cause traffic collision, traffic police and vehicle insurance could be reduced or eliminated.

Reduced need for road signage - autonomous cars could receive necessary communication electronically, meaning there would be no need for physical signs, line markings or the like.

Last edited by curioushat; 05-11-2012 at 06:04 PM.
zuperxtreme (05-11-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by curioushat View Post
These autodriving cars are incredibly efficient and will save loads of time.

Think about on the interstate, would there be a need for a speed limit at all? because all of the cars are aware of each other.

At a traffic light it will know if you're going straight, right, left, etc. and change accordingly.

In fact no need for traffic lights as cars will slipstream past each other at intersections...

Fewer crashes, due to the autonomous system's increased reliability compared to human drivers

Increased roadway capacity and reduce traffic congestion due to reduced need of safety gaps for example by platooning, and the ability to better manage traffic flow.

Optimization - autonomous cars could find the fastest way to go from one place to another, taking into account traffic congestion.

Reduce oil consumption and air pollution due to better manage traffic flow and by removing safety features.

Relief of vehicle occupants from driving and navigation chores.

Removal of constraints on occupant's state - it would not matter if the occupants were too young, too old or if their frame of mind were not suitable to drive a traditional car. Furthermore, disabilities would no longer matter.

Elimination of redundant passengers - humans are not required to take the car anywhere, as the robotic car can drive empty to wherever it is required.

Alleviation of parking scarcity as cars could drop off passengers, park far away where space is not scarce, and return as needed to pick up passengers.

It has been proposed that since cars spend 96% of their time idle, using autonomous cars could boostcar-sharing services such as Zipcar and Getaround, and thus reduce the number of vehicles worldwide.

Reduce the amount of space required for vehicle parking.

Reduce the costs and inconvenience of employing drivers (for example for public transport or commercial vehicles).

Since autonomous cars would not violate the law and would be less likely to cause traffic collision, traffic police and vehicle insurance could be reduced or eliminated.

Reduced need for road signage - autonomous cars could receive necessary communication electronically, meaning there would be no need for physical signs, line markings or the like.

You can do all that and more with just a bottle of grain alcohol and a totalitarian government.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,139 Posts

Since 10 years ago, humans no longer have to type, spell, or dial phone numbers. Now they won't even have to drive. Soon they won't even need to shit or masturbate. Then humans will be replaced in the workplace all-together. How great.

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Give a man religion, and he'll starve praying for a fish.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Funk Drink View Post
Since 10 years ago, humans no longer have to type, spell, or dial phone numbers. Now they won't even have to drive. Soon they won't even need to shit or masturbate. Then humans will be replaced in the workplace all-together. How great.
I get the feeling you're being sarcastic. It's fucking awesome. Especially humans being entirely replaced in the workplace. I can't think of a single thing more awesome than that. Feudalism -> Capitalism -> Communism. The latter is only possible when labor can't be exploited.