Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Better Living Through Chemistry

Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Grander Duke

Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,310 Posts
Default Re: What would it cost to sustain an opiate addiction indefinitely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Well, I'd say that's a matter of taste.

I can understand, I guess, that some may not like the feel of opioids. (In fact, there's a thread on just that topic in BLTC at the moment IIRC).

Likewise, though, I personally don't find weed or NMDA antagonists all that enjoyable.

(Although I'll take a few bumps of ketamine from time to time).

While in theory, that's a really good idea, I tried it, and unfortunately, once or twice a month becomes once or twice a week, which eventually becomes once or twice a day. At least that's how it happened for me with opiates.

(Although for the record, I made it out of that rut and have only used opioids twice in the past 12 month period).
I never experienced a greater euphoria from any drug other then DXM.

I guess it varys from person to person, when I tell people I only use opiates on occasion they always say it will eventually turn into everyday, but I already went through a phase of doing opiates everyday, now it is a once in awhile thing. It is either do opiates everyday and be broke or do them on occasion and have money for other things, opiates are way too expensive, maybe if they were cheaper I would be more likely do them more often but still I prefer weed and psychedelics over being sedated.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Grander Duke

When you watch your friends ruin their lives, go to jail, turn into different people, it makes you realize what this shit is capable of, I am not saying I would go to that extreme but opiates do change peoples personality's wither you believe it or not
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Grandest Duke

Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
That makes it sound like it wasn't really an addiction. Just an extended, fun ride.

I'll bet most genuine addicts would love for their drug to just lose its thrill one day.

(Unless of course it just leads to a new drug or other behaviour to replace it).
Yeah, but many people don't like turkey. Then again, depends on whether you're slacking off or living your life. It's hard for someone putting their life one hold for years while they hang out on Hastings to quit and go back to school.

Others get into some pills, get perky and do more work not less. I guess some carry on normally w/H. It's having to hustle for coin and connections that really messes people up.

Are you hoping to be like Nurse Jackie?

I still wonder though: are doctors who supply themselves The Quality doing good work? Is it BS and PR reasons that their Pro associations talk about "helping" them?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cornwell View Post
Are you hoping to be like Nurse Jackie?

I still wonder though: are doctors who supply themselves The Quality doing good work? Is it BS and PR reasons that their Pro associations talk about "helping" them?
I've never seen that show, but the line "noting that the character has "an occasional weakness for Vicodin, Adderall, Percocet and Oxycontin to get her through the days."" on the Wikipedia page gives me an idea of what you're about.

If I were to follow this particular trajectory outlined in this thread, I wouldn't do it unless:

a) The drugs do not hinder in any serious way my performance at my job.

and

b) My job doesn't entail putting anybody else at risk due to my being under the influence.

As long as it meets those two criteria, then I don't see what possible complaint anyone could lodge against me, at least on moral grounds. On legal grounds, however, it would be a different story.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Grandest Duke

I read on some alt.drugs form, some woman posting how nobody in the office knew that she was sniffing H in the john. Depends a lot whether one is maintaining or chasing the ultimate nod-inducing euphoria I imagine.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Count

Quote:
I read on some alt.drugs form, some woman posting how nobody in the office knew that she was sniffing H in the john. Depends a lot whether one is maintaining or chasing the ultimate nod-inducing euphoria I imagine.
Exactly. I don't think I'd need to be completely blasted all the time.

Just yesterday, the day after I tried methadone for the first time, I was sitting in one of my morning classes still nodding a bit, but it wasn't intense enough to interfere with my typical classroom experience.

In fact, it was kinda nice. Just listening to a lecture on, and occasionally discussing with the prof, the pros and cons of utilitarianism vs deontology, and the problems with moral relativism, and so forth.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Acolyte

Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,445 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to constantinople Send a message via AIM to constantinople Send a message via MSN to constantinople Send a message via Yahoo to constantinople

I never found opiates to feel that good, so I can't see the appeal.

But I'd say a lifetime addiction is impossible to guesstimate. But I'd reckon in the millions of dollars by the time you actually croak from old age.

Last edited by constantinople; 05-10-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Count

Quote:
Do you mind elaborating?

What long-term negative effects are there from responsible and safe opiate use? (i.e. Proper administration practices (no needle-sharing, etc).)
Well, I think one problem is that I don't think the idea of being constantly under the effects can ever qualify as responsible use.

I'm not singing warning bells here, but I don't think it's realistic to suspect constant use of opiates without pause could ever be totally safe and responsible.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicate View Post
Well, I think one problem is that I don't think the idea of being constantly under the effects can ever qualify as responsible use.

I'm not singing warning bells here, but I don't think it's realistic to suspect constant use of opiates without pause could ever be totally safe and responsible.
But then one has to also consider people who are genuinely prescribed opiates. I doubt anyone would argue that they are being irresponsible for taking their prescribed pain meds as directed, even if they are in the unfortunate situation of having to take them indefinitely.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Count

Quote:
But then one has to also consider people who are genuinely prescribed opiates. I doubt anyone would argue that they are being irresponsible for taking their prescribed pain meds as directed, even if they are in the unfortunate situation of having to take them indefinitely.
Well, debatable IMO. I'm sure it prevents usual, top-level functioning in certain ways to be constantly under.

Yet, I think dose would make a distinction here. Opiates aren't prescribed in doses which have recreational value, are they? I'd imagine that you'd be constantly at a dosage high enough to make it worthwhile, but then that too would change the game really.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Count

Quote:
Well, debatable IMO. I'm sure it prevents usual, top-level functioning in certain ways to be constantly under.
I wouldn't doubt that at all. Like I said above, if I were to actually carry this type of thing out, I would abstain from all potentially dangerous activities (driving, operating heavy machinery, etc), and I would expect my output at work to be suboptimal (hence the need for an autonomous type of job where I'm basically responsible for a certain amount of work getting done at my own pace, and not being paid by the hour).

Quote:
Yet, I think dose would make a distinction here. Opiates aren't prescribed in doses which have recreational value, are they?
That's something I've always wondered about...

I mean, if so many people become addicted to pain killers after a legitimate prescription, then they must have been experiencing more than mere pain relief. Although probably not a whole lot more.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Grander Duke

Quote:
Exactly. I don't think I'd need to be completely blasted all the time.

Just yesterday, the day after I tried methadone for the first time, I was sitting in one of my morning classes still nodding a bit, but it wasn't intense enough to interfere with my typical classroom experience.

In fact, it was kinda nice. Just listening to a lecture on, and occasionally discussing with the prof, the pros and cons of utilitarianism vs deontology, and the problems with moral relativism, and so forth.
I honestly cant fake not being high, I am usually pretty serious when I am sober, I can joke around but I look stressed out usually....
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Zion View Post
I honestly cant fake not being high, I am usually pretty serious when I am sober, I can joke around but I look stressed out usually....
Usually I can't fake being sober either, nor do I generally want to.

A pet peeve of mine has always been when a friend would get me high on something, and then be like "oh, btw, my girlfriend/parents/anti-drug-friends are coming over, so act normal."

It's a real buzz kill having to hide it.

But that real mild methadone buzz I had going on yesterday morning was actually pretty tolerable.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:46 AM
Grandest Duke

Some people live a "normal" life on 'done for years but recently Russia told the West to, "Fuck off! We don't want your help setting up a 'done system as 'done is 'tarded!"
Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Count

Quote:
Some people live a "normal" life on 'done for years but recently Russia told the West to, "Fuck off! We don't want your help setting up a 'done system as 'done is 'tarded!"
Well now that I've actually tried methadone, I can kinda see why some might be concerned about it.

It actually had euphoria/nod inducing properties just like heroin and other opioids.

I was like... "WTF?"

That being said though, if it actually can help people live more normal lives than when they were stuck having to score and inject street heroin constantly, then it's clearly an improvement and hence a viable treatment option.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Count

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt that at all. Like I said above, if I were to actually carry this type of thing out, I would abstain from all potentially dangerous activities (driving, operating heavy machinery, etc), and I would expect my output at work to be suboptimal (hence the need for an autonomous type of job where I'm basically responsible for a certain amount of work getting done at my own pace, and not being paid by the hour).

That's something I've always wondered about...

I mean, if so many people become addicted to pain killers after a legitimate prescription, then they must have been experiencing more than mere pain relief. Although probably not a whole lot more.
Well, it's physical addiction, so they wouldn't necessarily have to feel or even like it.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Duke

Quote:
Do you mind elaborating?

What long-term negative effects are there from responsible and safe opiate use? (i.e. Proper administration practices (no needle-sharing, etc).)
I know you're able to figure that shit out for yourself you stupid motherfucker
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Archduke

I think that you'd end up depressed. Opiates drastically lower you testosterone levels, and eventually, unless you have GODLIKE willpower, you'll build up such a tolerance that you'd never get high no matter how much you did. I read a story by some guy from opiophile a while back. He had spent much of his life in Asia, where dope was cheap, plentiful and really good quality. He was wealthy even by western standards, so he could afford to nod all day everyday. Eventually he reached a point where he just couldn't get high anymore. Even when he shot enough to nod hardcore, he'd still experience no euphoria or warmth or anything, just sedation. This was true even after tolerance breaks. It seemed that he'd basically become immune to opiate feelsgoodman... So, if your plan is to spend the rest of your life on drugs, my advice would be to mix it up and not just use a single drug all the time. Rotate between opiates, stimulants, benzos and weed or whatever...
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Duke Zion (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Count

Facepalm Re: What would it cost to sustain an opiate addiction indefinitely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickns View Post
I know you're able to figure that shit out for yourself you stupid motherfucker
Irony.

You present a claim, fail to substantiate it, and then try to save face by making me do the research to support it.

And I'm the stupid one?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Knight

it will cost you everything, everything you value in life. your friends, your family, your stuff, your dreams, your hopes. it will destroy you, take you and spit you out.

you'll find yourself stuck on a clock, waking up sick everyday, fighting the man and the boys in blue. you'll sell your soul for a hit, only to barely get well. its insanity man, don't go there.....

if you really wanna die, just blow your head off.
Duke Zion (05-11-2012), water bottle (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Marquis

Quote:
That makes it sound like it wasn't really an addiction. Just an extended, fun ride.

I'll bet most genuine addicts would love for their drug to just lose its thrill one day.

(Unless of course it just leads to a new drug or other behaviour to replace it).
Trust me once addicted to opiates they lose the thrill fast, the only thrill you get is knowing when you score you will soon be feeling normal.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 3,498 Times in 2,252 Posts

Never mind the factthatthey prolonged use physically changes the architecture of your brain. The idea that my mind and body might never return to normal.... It scares the fuck out of me. I don't know if I want to live like that.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
Never mind the factthatthey prolonged use physically changes the architecture of your brain. The idea that my mind and body might never return to normal.... It scares the fuck out of me. I don't know if I want to live like that.
Do you have any evidence for that claim? I just did some googling and it turned up nothing substantial.
gadzooks (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Cassius Clay XVII

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilbe View Post
it will cost you everything, everything you value in life. your friends, your family, your stuff, your dreams, your hopes. it will destroy you, take you and spit you out.

you'll find yourself stuck on a clock, waking up sick everyday, fighting the man and the boys in blue. you'll sell your soul for a hit, only to barely get well. its insanity man, don't go there.....

This is the most important post in the thread. Don't use opiates, full stop.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by water bottle View Post
Use opiates responsibly. They are very fun in moderation and the good outweighs the bad. If you start doing it too often that's not true anymore. As with anything.
gadzooks (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Asstronomer

Thanked 3,172 Times in 2,246 Posts
Mad Re: What would it cost to sustain an opiate addiction indefinitely?

I am so glad I can't enjoy opiates

Memento Mori
Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Baron

i think ima get some opiates today. the only problem is that i gotta be straight for my piano recital tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 PM
cunt

Thanked 1,158 Times in 866 Posts
Grin Re: What would it cost to sustain an opiate addiction indefinitely?

Providing your content with living in a 1 bedroom flat in some godforesaken shit hole downtown, your priorities would only be to stay alive and keep this habit going with a decent supplier. Over here you can get a decent oz of smack for 800-900 ($500-$600). I always had the smarts to buy in bulk, thus avoiding blowing all my dough on shitty, over cut dog shit from some darkie. But i've only ever done coke, E's and weed, smack not my 'thang.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octovia View Post
Over here you can get a decent oz of smack for 800-900 ($500-$600).
Where the fuck do you live, Afghanistan?
Duke Zion (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piles of Crack View Post
In Afghanistan it's 1$ a gram...

Perhaps you should move there, OP.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Marquis

Quote:
edit

Last edited by FrY; 05-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by i poop in your cereal View Post
In Afghanistan it's 1$ a gram...
Afghanistan's Child Drug Addicts - YouTube

Perhaps you should move there, OP.
Edit

Last edited by FrY; 05-12-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,452 Posts

Cheapest I ever got quoted for an ounce of smack was $1,000 flat, was only asking out of curiosity though.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
cunt

Thanked 1,158 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piles of Crack View Post
No this is the UK, drugs are plentiful

But seriously i've asked a good few smack heads and they say the same, i'm not saying the stuff is grade A but you only have to look at these people off 0.1s and thats after it's been cut so if you were to buy an oz and cut out the dealer, going straight to the supplier; i'm sure you would be happy with the product. Like i said though H is pure evil, some things should never have been discovered. It's not the addicts' addictions that depresses me the most, it's seeing their mothers, fathers, family destroyed. Those happy innocent children they once knew now grown up, no bright future, no happy families of their own, just pure destruction.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilbe View Post

An actually rather poetic cautionary tale, but the line at the end was a bit unnecessary.

You established effective pathos at first but then alienated the audience with excessive hyperbole.

There is clearly a huge difference between enjoying a few years of heroin use AND THEN dying vs simply killing oneself immediately.

And that's also overly pessimistic because it assumes that virtually everything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Murphy's Law is a heuristic, not an actual law.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrY View Post
Trust me once addicted to opiates they lose the thrill fast, the only thrill you get is knowing when you score you will soon be feeling normal.
Well, let's say then that one were to find a way to keep from getting physically addicted. Perhaps there are pharmacological methods of doing so (ULD Naltrexone, NMDA antagonists, etc).

And before you start saying:

Plz recall that right from the beginning of this thread, I explicitly exclaimed that this was for theoretical discussion.

One would obviously want to have all their bases covered before embarking on such an endeavor.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Count

Quote:
Never mind the factthatthey prolonged use physically changes the architecture of your brain.
Learning also physically changes the architecture of the brain...

I don't find that particularly frightening though.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by water bottle View Post
Son, I am dissapoint.

That is radically close-minded perspective to take.

Of course there are risks inherent in experimenting with opiates, but there are also risks associated with other drugs, and, *gasp*, things that don't even fall under the category of drugs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_injury
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuall...mitted_disease

and so forth...

Is that any reason to completely forgo a possibly enjoyable experience?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Marquis

Quote:
Well, let's say then that one were to find a way to keep from getting physically addicted. Perhaps there are pharmacological methods of doing so (ULD Naltrexone, NMDA antagonists, etc).

And before you start saying:

Plz recall that right from the beginning of this thread, I explicitly exclaimed that this was for theoretical discussion.

One would obviously want to have all their bases covered before embarking on such an endeavor.

Hey I do not doubt you can keep from being sick, but you best and cheapest rout seems like going the doctor route and not the street would be the best option.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrY View Post
Hey I do not doubt you can keep from being sick, but you best and cheapest rout seems like going the doctor route and not the street would be the best option.
Like having a pain med script like oxy's or morphine on constant supply?

Oh heck yeah. That would be ideal.

Little anecdotal story:

Last night I was drinking with a friend and this hooker came up to us asking for money or "a date." I asked her if she knew where to get heroin, and she said yes.

So I follow her into this sketchy apartment with junkies scattered everywhere. People smoking crack in one room, doing heroin in another.

Surprisingly though, the dealer there hooked up a full decent gram. I was almost sure something sketchy would go down, like someone trying to mug me, or at the very least I get handed a packet of fake powder or something. But I just ask him if I can do a line right there, and he's like 'no problem.'

Then this one chick hooked me up with a smoked hit off her down.

I also smoked a rock with the hooker who brought me there (kinda like a finder's fee), and then bounced.

They were surprisingly courteous people and they hooked up legit.

But still... walking into a doctor's office is MUCH less sketchy.