Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Better Living Through Chemistry > From Seed to Smoke

Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Marquis

Default Bypassing the meter

So I've always heard that growers try to bypass the electric meter, both to save money and hide their actual power usage. I'm wondering how common this actually is though. It could be something seldom actually practiced, lord knows the media fails at reporting actual facts. Is it necessary to bypass the meter for a normal 'basement grow' type setup? Is it easy to do without getting caught?

I know an electrician I could ask him when I see him next but I feel like asking right meow.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Duke

Thanked 1,258 Times in 843 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ph0x
Default Re: Bypassing the meter

That's how a lot of people get caught. Look up the Tennessee Pot Cave.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 AM
PROOTS

Thanked 2,260 Times in 1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Buster View Post
So I've always heard that growers try to bypass the electric meter, both to save money and hide their actual power usage. I'm wondering how common this actually is though. It could be something seldom actually practiced, lord knows the media fails at reporting actual facts. Is it necessary to bypass the meter for a normal 'basement grow' type setup? Is it easy to do without getting caught?

I know an electrician I could ask him when I see him next but I feel like asking right meow.
In this hypothetical scenario, are you growing for big time distribution, or just a few plants for yourself - if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,916 Times in 2,030 Posts

no ones gonna get suspicious if you leave a couple lights on all the time, unless your buddies' grow is like a dozen plants plus.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proots View Post
In this hypothetical scenario, are you growing for big time distribution, or just a few plants for yourself - if you don't mind me asking?
I'm not growing anything now. Not even an outdoor crop. First time in a long time I'm not doing an outdoor crop. I'm just wondering. I might do a basement grow later when I start renting an entire house to myself but that's a few years away in any case.

But for shits and giggles, lets say there were 4 400watt HPS lamps going. (I actually don't know much about indoor growing, I'm not really sure what the difference between a 1000watt hps and a 400watt hps is. Obviously the difference is the amount of watts used but how that relates to growing cannabis I'm not sure (i.e. I'm not sure which system would give you the best bang for you buck/largest growing area vs wattage consumed).
Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Archduke

On the same topic how could you make the helicopter flyover not see the lights with their thermal camera or w/e it is? I think if you covered the walls & ceiling w/ aluminum foil that would work.

Problem?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pat-Man View Post
no ones gonna get suspicious if you leave a couple lights on all the time, unless your buddies' grow is like a dozen plants plus.
The amount of plants is a pretty pointless distinction IMO. I could literally fill an entire basement with like 3 plants by doing a super long veg + massive scrog. Contrarily I could grow 12 tiny plants that yield less than a half pound in total.

Lets say the actual growing area, where the plants will be, is 6 feet by 12 feet. So a pretty big area for a personal grow.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
On the same topic how could you make the helicopter flyover not see the lights with their thermal camera or w/e it is? I think if you covered the walls & ceiling w/ aluminum foil that would work.
There are several ways to do this and it isn't really the same topic IMO.

The best way imo is to just redistribute the hot grow air into the house and it will look totally natural if you do it right. I live in canada though, so its cold most of the time here. If I lived in a hot climate that might not be a viable option.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Baron

Quote:
Yeah, cause god knows that aluminum foil is resistant to heat conduction..

But, back on topic, 4 400w HPS lamps would probably be about as far as you wanna go as far as the suspicious electricity usage. They'd be pretty much exactly what you need for a 6x8 grow. You probably could go up to 6 400w lamps for a 6x12 grow, depending on the area. Just watch your energy uses in other areas, like gas water heater instead of electric, gas stove, CFL lightbulbs, etc. Every little bit helps. Bypassing the meter is just a bad idea all around. The electric company looks for that kinda shit hard. Plus they keep an eye on their product. If they are pumping X amount of electricity into your area but are only able to account for/bill for W amount, they will definately be tracking down the 'leakage'.

Last edited by Benjamin Linus; 05-11-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Linus View Post
Yeah, cause god knows that aluminum foil is resistant to heat conduction..
Uh actually it is. Turn your oven up to like 500 and put a piece of aluminum foil in there for IDK 10 minnutes. Then open the oven and just pick it up with your hands, you will find that its not hot, and doesn't burn your hands.

Problem?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Duke

Thanked 1,258 Times in 843 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ph0x

Quote:
Uh actually it is. Turn your oven up to like 500 and put a piece of aluminum foil in there for IDK 10 minnutes. Then open the oven and just pick it up with your hands, you will find that its not hot, and doesn't burn your hands.
That's because it conducts heat so fast the heat dissipated by the time it takes your skin to absorb it.

If it was an insulator then how would you smoke tar/meth/etc off it?
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Benjamin Linus (05-11-2012), Midwest (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Baron

Quote:
Alright then Stephen Hawking. Why don't you wrap your finger in a layer of aluminum foil, then hold it over a flame? When you get home from the hospital shoot me a message and let me know how it went.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Marquis

thread = derailed.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Buster View Post

Never do this, it is the same as not paying your taxes, the energy companies will notice, they will sue, you will get in trouble. Unless you are running 6, 1k WATT bulbs nobody is likely to notice, even with that many lights, just cut off one of your appliances.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to emf Send a message via AIM to emf Send a message via MSN to emf Send a message via Yahoo to emf Send a message via Skype™ to emf

Where I live the maximum electricity you can safely draw from a street lamp is 16A, that should be good for 3800W total lighting. Also bypassing your meter is easy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Qnn9EtlimPw/RnDvHdYnOiI/AAAAAAAAABM/9mkxYjtpNDc/s1600-h/meterbypass.JPG
Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Knight

If you haven't realized by now energy companies run the world, bypass your meter? Good luck in prison you white bitches.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Grandest Duke

Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,581 Posts

Have you Googed for reports of busts involving stolen power? I've seen dozens. No doubt there have been 1000's.

I take it that your area doesn't have smart meters that send real time info to the power co.? I'm not sure if this would aid in tracking a bypass, but it sure couldn't hurt. I don't know if they have meters up on the transformers too, but that RT info from homes might well be amenable to search algorithms.

Last edited by Sir Cornwell; 06-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Baron

The good Sir is absolutely correct. The MAJORITY of growers busted result from bypassing a meter and/or stealing electricity from an outside source.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Grandest Duke

Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quite a few don't properly mask odors and neighbors catch wind.

Many times kids catch the scent and someone sees them breaking in and when the popo comes? Ohoh!

Fights and domestic disputes and the popo arrive = ohoh.

Bad circuits and the fire engines come?