Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Alternative Living & World Travel

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Mud Farmer

Arrow How to get into Canada with an OWI?

My dog has court for his first OWI in late August, but he has always dreamed of going to Canada, and he is worried that he might never be able to go. He has 3 or 4 misdemeanors in the US all minor drug offences over 2 years old, and besides that he is clean.

I hear its nearly impossible to get into Canada with an OWI/DWI/DUI offence without years of rehab and thousands of dollars. My dog is a free spirit and that is not his style, I think he would prefer to find a loophole. He wonders if there is some legal-passport-type-deal to aid in crossing the boarder that you get if you are technically going into Canada for some specific reason or under some circumstance such as a funeral or volunteer work for a non-profit?

If not should I just go now before my court date?

If someone can help my dog get into Canada my dog will teleport your spirit a generous portion of organic Canadian green lucky charms.

Last edited by asilentfire; 08-01-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Howie Hubler

Thanked 1,038 Times in 624 Posts
Default Re: How to get into Canada with an OWI?

The reason why you are trying to get into Canada is pretty irrelevant. The type of visa doesnt matter. If you are a criminal (which you are), you wont get in if they check your background.

I had a co-worker rejected at the border for DUI's from like 10 years ago. I read a story about a guy who was sent back because he had a warrant for parking tickets from the 1970s.

The only way I know of is: waiting like 7 years, and then filling out paperwork with Canadian passport control.

EDIT: BTW, leaving the country while on bail will probably revoke your bail and get you into deep shit if you get caught...

Last edited by roasted; 08-01-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 AM
Confusationalist

Yes, the Canadian government takes drinking and driving seriously. Currently, it's very rare that someone with an offense of this sort will be allowed into the country. It's comparable to someone with a drug-related offense trying to get into the USA.

Would you be able to receive a pardon for this offense at some point in the future?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:23 AM
The Duke

Man, it's called you fucked up. Think about that next time you drink or drive.

BTW: Fuck Canada.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 AM
Duke

What happend if your caught sneaking into Canada? You know like on vacation?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickns View Post
What happend if your caught sneaking into Canada? You know like on vacation?
the send you back, if they are cool that day, if not a few week in a Canadian jail.

i been deported more than once. its best to just take a boat then go to tornoto, talk to the embassy.
I can't afford to lose my job right now, he said if I stopped taking drugs he'd let me work for HRT again but now obviously if ZOKLET comes up or anything, he'll read these forums and find out I've been lying.-JackBoy
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 AM
Howie Hubler

Thanked 1,038 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euda View Post
Would you be able to receive a pardon for this offense at some point in the future?
Its extremely rare that a DUI gets pardoned, expunged, judgement sealed, etc. They stay on your record past 7 years because repeat drunk drivers are very common and very dangerous. (In the US, you can get charged for a "Second DUI" like 50 years after your first DUI)

The best OP can hope for is waiting a few years and filling an appeal with the Canadian government. They have a program where they (Canada) forgives non-felony charges after X amount of years, assuming you stay out of trouble otherwise.

I dont know the whole process, but you have to fill out some paperwork, write a short essay explaining why you got the first DUI, and explain how you changed your life since the DUI. That paperwork goes before a judge of some sort, who rules if you are eligible to get a visa. Its possible OP will never be allowed in Canada; but its also possible he will be eligible for a visa in a few years.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Serf

Just wanted to provide a little information on the Can/USA border.

The two countries share databases, but the Canadian border guards do not have direct access to NPIC, same with US Immigration and CPIC. What they do have is access to each others fingerprint databases, meaning the Canadian border guard will check for you in the US fingerprint database and if there is a match will ask if you have a record etc. They have to request further information from US authorities. American border guards do the same thing (checking the Canadian fingerprint database) and when there is a fingerprint match they request more info from the RCMP (the administrators of the CPIC system).

Back before 9/11 and the new border procedures your chances of being denied entry to Canada or the USA were fairly slim, nowadays it's highly probable they will figure out if you are in the system and deemed ineligible to enter the country.

I was denied entry to the USA back in 2006 after US Immigration scanned my Canadian passport and found a match in the fingerprint system for an old charge back in 1993!