Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Entertainment > Music!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 AM

Default Beats by Dr. Dre Headphones. Shit Compared to Other "Studio" Headphones?

A friend of mine recently asked for my opinion of the Beats by Dr. Dre "Solo" headphones for the purpose of audio production including music and sound effects in a professional environment. (he wants to go to school for film, etc.)

Based on personal experience in the audio and technical production industries, as well as having listened to various brands of professional headphones in a studio environment as well as the Beats at a store display I didn't recommend them. I have found them to be cheaply built, as well as overly bass-heavy and poor at replicating sound accurately. Numerous reviews I have found for them state that they easily snap in half when being put on which is not covered by warranty. I also mentioned to him that although they are marketed by Dr. Dre, a music producer, they are not intended to be used in a professional environment and are simply a consumer product for people who want a better listening experience with recorded music.

My friend, despite the recommendations from myself and several others has been arguing with everyone claiming that the Beats are indeed a professional product and are ideal for studio use. He claims they are better than brands like Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, and others.

He plans on buying the Beats anyways, despite recommendations. Doesn't bother me in the slightest... Its his money and it will be lulzy down the road when they either snap in half or his professors at University tell him he can't use them because they aren't up to scratch.

I suppose where I am going with this thread is this:

I am looking for your opinions on these pseudo-professional headphones in comparison to real professional headphones based on your experiences, as well as your thoughts on poor-quality audio equipment being sold under the guise of being top-quality particularly Beats, Skull Candy, and others like them. I feel as though far too many people are jumping on the "buy whats trendy" bandwagon and spending far too much money on inferior products that are hyped up by marketing.