Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Gearheads

Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Serf

Mad Seized Engine

I have a Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4.
I had a problem last year with the bearings, and i have finally fixed the bearings this spring. However, the 4-wheeler sit out in the weather all winter. I tried to start it, and it absolutely refuses to even turn over. I had jumper cables hooked up to it, and it still won't even start.
This has directly lead me to believe that the engine is seized, with rust.

What are ways to unseize the engine safely?
I was told to use WD40, Pepsi, and several others.

What do you guys suggest what to do; as I know the engine is not completely fucked. Just needs to be unseized.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Baron

Default Re: Seized Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post

What do you guys suggest what to do; as I know the engine is not completely fucked. Just needs to be unseized.
Not nessisarily, unless you're lucky you'll probably need new rings... And trust me, wd-40 or any similar penetrant and the starter motor are not going to unsieze it, when I locked up my piston in my 80cc moped it requried a great deal of force to get it to turn... and it was just the piston that was stuck, not the rod bearings or anything. Just the piston required a large hammer and lots of anti-sieze compound.

Long story short, rebuild it. Or just buy a chinese copy of your engine. Treat it nice and it'll run just as well as the Honda engine.

EDIT: It could also not be siezed, it could just be a simple electrical problem. Have you tried hand-cranking it? Wire could have come off the starter causing what you're describing.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
lolwatts

Patience is what you need when it comes to a seized engine. Take the head off, pour some diesel in the bore and give it a good couple of whacks with a lump hammer and a bit of wood.

Now do the same thing every day until it's unstuck...only two or three whacks maximum. Don't be tempted to go hell for leather and beat the shit out of it or you'll score the bore.

The biggest unseizing I've seen done was a massive single-cylinder diesel with a 20 inch bore. Took gallons of diesel and some serious whacking to shift the piston, but after a month it came free. That engine had been sat for about 30 years in a barn...

If an engine is seized through overheating though, that's a different story.

And yeah, it's a good idea to check the electricals first to make sure the starter's getting enough juice. It might just be a jammed bendix on the starter.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
lolwatts

Patience is what you need when it comes to a seized engine. Take the head off, pour some diesel in the bore and give it a good couple of whacks with a lump hammer and a bit of wood.

Now do the same thing every day until it's unstuck...only two or three whacks maximum. Don't be tempted to go hell for leather and beat the shit out of it or you'll score the bore.

The biggest unseizing I've seen done was a massive single-cylinder diesel with a 20 inch bore. Took gallons of diesel and some serious whacking to shift the piston, but after a month it came free. That engine had been sat for about 30 years in a barn...

And yeah, it's a good idea to check the electricals first to make sure the starter's getting enough juice. It might just be a jammed bendix on the starter.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Count

Post Re: Seized Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkeyQ View Post

Hell bent for leather ftw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zInasdz2mg#
Good info MunkeyQ
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Serf

Thanks for the input guys, Im hoping it is not electrical.
However, when I use the crank handle on the side, it will not even bulge.
Which leads me to believe that is seized.

The 4-wheeler ran perfectly when i parked it after the bearings went out.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Baron

try putting it in gear and pushing it forward. If you can't move it then it's seized. The piston should be able to move. It sounds like a dead starter or a seized kick start. Also try taking the piston head off and pour fresh gas in there and put make sure decent oil is in and check all fluids. The try pulling it with a truck or pushing it.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
try putting it in gear and pushing it forward. If you can't move it then it's seized. The piston should be able to move. It sounds like a dead starter or a seized kick start. Also try taking the piston head off and pour fresh gas in there and put make sure decent oil is in and check all fluids. The try pulling it with a truck or pushing it.
I tried putting it in gear, it will not move.
The kickstart will not even bulge.

I will try to pull it with a truck to see if it will unseize it. It sounds like it could tear something up, but will try anyways.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Baron

Quote:

I will try to pull it with a truck to see if it will unseize it. It sounds like it could tear something up, but will try anyways.
lol, good luck and post results!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Eggs and MDPV anyone?

Send a message via ICQ to InToXiCoLoGisT
Thumbs Up Re: Seized Engine

Quote:

NO! Haha don't do that.

Pour oil down the spark plug hole, let it sit for a day. Than very gently impact from neutral to 1st while moving SLOWLY. If that doesn't work, pull the tank off, you might be able to take the head off. If not, remove engine and remove head, take less than 6 hours total.

Good luck, post results.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Serf

Yeah, I poured oil in the spark plug hole a few days ago.
I tried rocking it back and forth, still wont give up.

I believe i may have to disassemble the heads.
I will keep posting news on this frequently.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Mass Grave Artisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkeyQ View Post
massive single-cylinder diesel with a 20 inch bore.
WTF