Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Better Living Through Chemistry

Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Regular

Default Long term use of Amphetamine salts/side effects

I've been put on Adderall for a month, to see how it would help with my driving/schoolwork/overall concentration. But after two weeks I've yet to take any of the 60 10mg pills. The doctor assured me it was completely safe and the only side effects are slight insomnia and weight loss. It's a controlled substance. If it was perfectly safe they wouldn't make me get a prescription for it. Then I get the prescription and it warns of the chance of "sudden death" from heart attack on the outside of the bag.

So I did some light digging. The physical effects can range from irritability to heart attack. Then, "Withdrawal from chronic use of amphetamine can include anxiety, depression, agitation, fatigue, excessive sleeping, increased appetite, short temper, psychosis and suicidal thoughts".

But none of that interests me as much as this thought: If I take Adderall habitually in order to fix my concentration, will I eventually need it to concentrate at all? If I stop taking it after months or years, will my cognitive abilities suffer?

I don't have experience in this kind of thing.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 PM
iLumminati Puppt in a box

Thanked 3,284 Times in 2,270 Posts
Default Re: Long term use of Amphetamine salts/side effects

You'll be fine, although taking amphetamine in the long term can cause cognitive impairment. I highly doubt you'll have a heart attack or anything like that.

Just fucking try it.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Regular

Fuck adderall. Don't take it, really, unless you fancy grinding your teeth and flexing your jaw all day while you toss and turn in bed due to inability to sleep. The insomnia is in no way minor, believe me, especially with the XR tablets. You are basically taking on a speed habit to counter a minor attention problem, if that sounds logical to you be my guest but as someone who's done plenty of adderall before, I can tell you it ends up being a bad idea in the long run.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
ArmsMerchant (10-21-2011)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Regular

See, that's my main worry. Cognitive impairment in the long run. What's the point of me using it now and being effective now if I'm going to be a burnt out husk later?
Duke

will it kill you no.
is it worth it no.

after you take it for a while you start to crash. and they keep getting worse.
Count

Using anything as a crutch for anything will slowly weaken your natural ability to do it. Amphetamines aren't a cure, they supplement whatever deficiency you think you have and basically just tweak you out. The heart attack shit is pretty much a legal thing though, and the withdrawal syndromes are typical with anything you can get dependent on.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Fuck these people. Get twacked the fuck out and write a ten page essay on why you're awesome. DO IT NOW.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
JoePedo (08-12-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Duke

sell them and buy weed and let gods natural gift fix your attention
L33tz (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMagiNation View Post
Fuck these people. Get twacked the fuck out and write a ten page essay on why you're awesome. DO IT NOW.
Ironically (or coincidentally) another one of the side effects is hubris; feelings of unwarranted arrogance.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mor3BL7 View Post
sell them and buy weed and let gods natural gift fix your attention
That can actually be pretty lucrative. I used to pick up a bottle of 60 2mg kpins a month for free when I was a dependent, and usually got about $300 +/- whatever time I wanted to take and sell them (which was never very long).
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Regular

I was considering selling them if I didn't take them myself, but since I payed out of pocket I would hardly make a profit. I'd have to repeatedly go back month after month to get refills and it really wouldn't be cost effective.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Baron

i wish i had that many Adderalls, i would clean my house !
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impolite View Post
Ironically (or coincidentally) another one of the side effects is hubris; feelings of unwarranted arrogance.
I had that long before I took any drugs.

dopamine = w1n
Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 AM
Regular

Ok then, out of mild curiosity,

What's the going rate for the 10mg pill? $2?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Knight

Piracetam my friend.
iMagiNation (10-21-2011), mr.poopypants (08-12-2010)
Old 08-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Send a message via AIM to Metaflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Using anything as a crutch for anything will slowly weaken your natural ability to do it. Amphetamines aren't a cure, they supplement whatever deficiency you think you have and basically just tweak you out. The heart attack shit is pretty much a legal thing though, and the withdrawal syndromes are typical with anything you can get dependent on.
This

Taking adder-all will not cure your problem, its just a temporary fix. You can have some side effects and there is a risk of dependency. However the chances of having a heart attack from a few 10mg Add's a day is VERY low. Regarding dependency, depending on how far you wish to take this, you can become physically dependent on Adder-all, just like any other drug. I once knew a guy that I went to high school with that was fucking hooked to this shit. It was bad but its rare, some people just really like the shit. If you stick to your dose your prescribed to take and don't over do yourself you'll be fine. The choice is ultimately yours, if your an "all natural" kind of guy then maybe this isn't the right alternative for you. However deciding to take your prescribed medication isn't really a make or break decision. Just be smart, use your common sense and find what works for you.
48. Jesus said: If they say to you, 'where did you come from?', say to them, 'We came from the light, the place where the light came into being on its own accord and established [itself] and became manifest through their image. The Coptic gospel of Thomas
Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 AM
Marquis

Just give it a try. You won't suffer cognitive impairment unless you use high doses every day for a long time. Instead, take it as-needed. A few Addies a week won't hurt.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Happily Eccentric

Oye...

Quote:
But none of that interests me as much as this thought: If I take Adderall habitually in order to fix my concentration, will I eventually need it to concentrate at all? If I stop taking it after months or years, will my cognitive abilities suffer?
Let's see, lurker...

- amphetamines don't build neurotransmitters, nor do they (signifigantly) plug into any neuroreceptor. Instead, they invert reuptake so that you burn through your neurotransmitters faster.

To some people, this means having jack shit for neurotransmitters while still high.

...aaaaaannnnd....

- overstimulation is neurotoxic, and can lead to little brain tissues making a "pfft" noise before dying and being replaced by an empty lesion filled with cerebrospinal fluid.

Due to the first one, a side effect of withdrawl can, in fact, be difficulty concentrating. This is usually temporary, although it can be a bitch for a good long while. If you're really lucky, this will mix up with narcolepsy, but otherwise, you will have to stay awake from the unfocused fatigue.

The second one, otoh, could plausibly fuck with you a little.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Do some good - [url=url=http://www.egenindsamling.drk.dk/start-min-egen-indsamling/hjaelp-oestafrika/indsamling.aspx?CollectionId=1999]like[/url] the east africa campaign on facebook!!

(the poster is in no way affiliated with the campaign)

[url]http://www.pixiq.com/contributors/248[/url]
[url]http://www.righttorecord.org/[/url]
Old 08-12-2010, 05:44 AM

Thanked 1,011 Times in 752 Posts
Mad Re: Long term use of Amphetamine salts/side effects

Quote:
.... It's a controlled substance. If it was perfectly safe they wouldn't make me get a prescription for it....
Either stop doing and even talking about drugs, or stop trolling.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungHole View Post
Yeah, I decided to ignore that because he's either a lost cause or a troll.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,314 Posts

I'm seriously worried about overdosing and fucking my heart up, like going into cardiac arrest or something. What are the chances of this happening and how much amps/stimulants would it take and for how long would I have to be using?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Regular

Quote:
I'm not trolling, it was my reflex to the doctor saying "Oh no it's perfectly safe." Nothing is perfectly safe. And if Adderall was perfectly safe, they wouldn't need me to get a doctor's prescription for it would they?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Thanked 1,011 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
I'm not trolling, it was my reflex to the doctor saying "Oh no it's perfectly safe." Nothing is perfectly safe. And if Adderall was perfectly safe, they wouldn't need me to get a doctor's prescription for it would they?
Quote:
Nothing is perfectly safe. And if Adderall was perfectly safe, they wouldn't need me to get a doctor's prescription for it would they?
Quote:
Nothing is perfectly safe. And if Adderall was perfectly safe,
Quote:
Nothing is perfectly safe.
LOLWUT????
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Baron

Quote:
I've been put on Adderall for a month, to see how it would help with my driving/schoolwork/overall concentration. But after two weeks I've yet to take any of the 60 10mg pills. The doctor assured me it was completely safe and the only side effects are slight insomnia and weight loss. It's a controlled substance. If it was perfectly safe they wouldn't make me get a prescription for it. Then I get the prescription and it warns of the chance of "sudden death" from heart attack on the outside of the bag.

So I did some light digging. The physical effects can range from irritability to heart attack. Then, "Withdrawal from chronic use of amphetamine can include anxiety, depression, agitation, fatigue, excessive sleeping, increased appetite, short temper, psychosis and suicidal thoughts".

I don't have experience in this kind of thing.

No facial issues like meth. Its not going to take your looks from you, If you are snorting it tho it can fuck u up. It will make you stare a lot and you won't blink. Also the hallucinations you get from it and staying up are scary.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Regular

Quote:
LOLWUT????
I don't know any other way to say it. How about this: Anything can be dangerous.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Some things are safer than others. The main reason Adderall requires a prescription is concern over addiction and abuse, I think; it's also a bad idea for anyone with hypertension or heart problems to take it, so they want to make sure you're healthy before you're put on it.

Something's prescription - or legal - status doesn't necessarily say anything about the substance. Immodium, for instance, an antidiarrheal that you can buy 50 packs of if you wish, used to require a prescription. By contrast, it's much easier to kill yourself with acetaminophen than alprazolam, but good luck getting the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi View Post
I'm seriously worried about overdosing and fucking my heart up, like going into cardiac arrest or something. What are the chances of this happening and how much amps/stimulants would it take and for how long would I have to be using?
I think the chances are low, if you don't have any heart/blood pressure problems, and if you start small and don't take it every day... but I'm no doctor.

Last edited by AdMech; 08-13-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 AM
Mud Farmer

Ive been on adderall for about 3 years now. i went from 20mg a day to 20mg twice a day and then 30mg twice a day and it makes you focus like a mother fucker. ive noticed that i come down off it like 6- 8 pm and if i dont drink enough water i get man head aches. and yeah it makes you grind youre teeth all day and your jaw gets sore but i just chew gum and it helps a lot. if you have a lot to do on your days then you should be fine but if you have nothing to do then you may find your self staring at a wall for a couple hours. it can also give you these really annoying twitches like i pick the skin on my thumbs. but with adderall you either love it or you hate it.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Modicum of Madness

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,641 Posts

If you want perfectly safe, don't do drugs.

Otherwise this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePedo View Post
Oye...

Let's see, lurker...

- amphetamines don't build neurotransmitters, nor do they (signifigantly) plug into any neuroreceptor. Instead, they invert reuptake so that you burn through your neurotransmitters faster.

To some people, this means having jack shit for neurotransmitters while still high.

...aaaaaannnnd....

- overstimulation is neurotoxic, and can lead to little brain tissues making a "pfft" noise before dying and being replaced by an empty lesion filled with cerebrospinal fluid.

Due to the first one, a side effect of withdrawl can, in fact, be difficulty concentrating. This is usually temporary, although it can be a bitch for a good long while. If you're really lucky, this will mix up with narcolepsy, but otherwise, you will have to stay awake from the unfocused fatigue.

The second one, otoh, could plausibly fuck with you a little.

/thread
Old 10-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Duke

Send a message via MSN to White Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreeBo View Post
Ive been on adderall for about 3 years now. i went from 20mg a day to 20mg twice a day and then 30mg twice a day and it makes you focus like a mother fucker. ive noticed that i come down off it like 6- 8 pm and if i dont drink enough water i get man head aches. and yeah it makes you grind youre teeth all day and your jaw gets sore but i just chew gum and it helps a lot. if you have a lot to do on your days then you should be fine but if you have nothing to do then you may find your self staring at a wall for a couple hours. it can also give you these really annoying twitches like i pick the skin on my thumbs. but with adderall you either love it or you hate it.
They will also make you bump year old threads and write without paragraphs.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,768 Posts

Dunno if this'll help, but my step-son was on Ritalin--dosage was increased due to tolerance, until it reached the point that an effective dose would be kinda toxic, so he went off it.

He is almost 30 now, still no drivers license, lives at home and works as a care-giver to his mother.