Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Graduation to Obligation

Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Count

Default Types of things to get Certified In?

I have decided that the best way to maximize my income is to be very veratile, and try to get some certification in various things.. The problem? I'm running low on ideas in the brainstorming process.. Besides the oppertunity to make money in various ways, I also like learning new skills and trades and feel it would be promotional to myself regardless of the results.

So hit me.. what are some things to get certified in.. I know some classes and test, as well as fee's are to be involved.. Let those ideas fly..
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Default Re: Types of things to get Certified In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
I have decided that the best way to maximize my income is to be very veratile, and try to get some certification in various things.. The problem? I'm running low on ideas in the brainstorming process.. Besides the oppertunity to make money in various ways, I also like learning new skills and trades and feel it would be promotional to myself regardless of the results.

So hit me.. what are some things to get certified in.. I know some classes and test, as well as fee's are to be involved.. Let those ideas fly..
what industry are you interested in?

personally im interested in the import/export business so im doing a introduction into being a customs broker and than i might do the 1 year course to get certified. I want to do this to get a better understanding of the procedures of the international import/export of my country(canada).

http://www.cscb.ca/060/cp_e.html

And im thinking of doing a course in freight forwarding as well.

http://www.ciffa.com/education.asp
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Vigilante (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Serf

If you're into computers, get A+ certified. It'll cost you about $350, but it's really worth it.
Vigilante (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Baron

Yeah, that. If you're already into computers, you'll probably know most of the A+ stuff and see how irrelevant the rest of it is for general tech work, but people like the pretty cert so much they'll give you more money for doing the same thing.
Vigilante (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Count

I appreciate the suggestions thus far. A+ certification was already on my agenda, but I had to pay thanks because I hadnt made it known in my original post. I actually will be getting my fee waivered through some useful connections.. And after I'm certified, it makes for some easy cash to fix computers in the free time.

Please throw more suggestions my way.. Anything you can get certified at that only requires some classes or online work and fee/free.. I'll go ahead and throw locksmith certification and becoming a notary public, as they are already on my agenda as well, but useful information regarding them might get you a thanks as well.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Baron

I was given professermesser.com as a good place to get training videos and quizzes for various certs but I haven't got off my ass to do it yet. If you're motivated let us know how it is?
Vigilante (09-01-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Confusationalist

Getting certified as a real estate broker is one of the classics. First Aid's a good certification too.
Vigilante (09-01-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Baron

Thumbs Up Re: Types of things to get Certified In?

If you're in Australia an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol), and a responsible service of gambling certificate is good to get, getting you jobs in bars clubs etc.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Knight

welding if the computer thing doesn't work out. i know an 18 year old that makes 17 an hour making simple mig welds. welding is hot and dirty but it pays well.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Banned

Yeah welding is a good way to pick up some money. Heavy equipment operation is great money but there doesn't seem to be a lot of jobs in that category. Pipe fitting I enjoy and is decent money, but then again, not a lot of jobs in the category. Diesel mechanic would be a fun job but I don't know how the job market is for them. Plumbing I haven't done much of but there will always be a demand for them.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 AM
Regular

Most of these certifications people have been suggesting will mean fuck all if the world keeps going the way it is. If the global economy truly collapses, nobody is going to give a fuck about you having your A+ certification. It just isn't as important as actually knowing how to do things.

If you want to learn practical skills that might save your ass one day, learn how to repair engines. Learn to operate heavy equipment. Learn how to kill, clean and butcher a cattle beast. Learn masonry... as in laying brick/block, not that free mason shit. Learn advanced first aid and how to deliver babies. Learn animal husbandry. Learn to shoot and repair firearms.

The list could go on forever. These are the skills that will save your ass in the worst of times and open doors in the best of times.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Regular

Red cross / first responder certification

CDL or Heavy truck driver certification

Bartender licensed
Old 09-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
I actually will be getting my fee waivered
it's actually "waived" maybe get certified to write english? seriously is everyone here like fucking 12 years old and has never read a book?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flux Capacitard View Post
Most of these certifications people have been suggesting will mean fuck all if the world keeps going the way it is. If the global economy truly collapses, nobody is going to give a fuck about you having your A+ certification. It just isn't as important as actually knowing how to do things.

If you want to learn practical skills that might save your ass one day, learn how to repair engines. Learn to operate heavy equipment. Learn how to kill, clean and butcher a cattle beast. Learn masonry... as in laying brick/block, not that free mason shit. Learn advanced first aid and how to deliver babies. Learn animal husbandry. Learn to shoot and repair firearms.

The list could go on forever. These are the skills that will save your ass in the worst of times and open doors in the best of times.
That's a very practical approach to it, but I must say that if the world truly goes to hell, we're probably going to be fucked anyways.

So might as well get a good paying job in something you like doing, rather than busting your ass doing penny-work for some dickwad who sits in front of an air conditioner watching TV while he makes cash from your blood.

Personally, I'd rather be A+ certified, sitting in front of an air conditioner making upwards of a hundred dollars an hour (depending on whether I'm a contractor or not). Fuck brick laying. I've got better and less back-breaking shit to do.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Banned

lmao i just remembered i got a babysitting certificate for completeing a babysitting course when i was like 11. And i think learning first aid was included in the course. lol would that be useful? ahahahha
Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNemo View Post
So might as well get a good paying job in something you like doing, rather than busting your ass doing penny-work for some dickwad who sits in front of an air conditioner watching TV while he makes cash from your blood.

Personally, I'd rather be A+ certified, sitting in front of an air conditioner making upwards of a hundred dollars an hour (depending on whether I'm a contractor or not). Fuck brick laying. I've got better and less back-breaking shit to do.
Well, OP asked for ways to increase income. You don't have to work for anyone but yourself. Spend five years of your life learning to do practical things and you will always be able to make money, anywhere in the world. My mate makes about an extra $1200 per month in addition to his regular income by butchering livestock for people here and there. For myself, I rarely even have to work regular jobs anymore... and I'm quite average in my abilities. I will be retiring at age 35.

I'm sorry to say it, but your expectations of $100/hour with an A+ are completely unrealistic. An A+ certified individual of average technical ability is worth about $9-10/hour in today's market, and it's getting lower. The IT industry is swamped with people who have the entire alphabet of certifications listed after their name, and they're really not any better off. Twenty years or more ago, if you were good with computers, you could make great money. These days, everyone has computer skills and unless you're exceptionally talented and experienced, you're still going to spend most of your career making average wages and working for dickheads.

There's nothing wrong with that if it's what you're interested in, but understand that you don't see many people of a mature age working in IT. Realize that what you've learned this year will be worth less money next year, and eventually in most IT careers, your greatest areas of expertise will be worth next to nothing in the job market. When I was younger, I did a lot of IT help desk work in a call center, and I can't tell you how many people I met there who had been making $50,000+ a year in IT at some earlier stage and were then making $9/hour because their skills became obsolete.

Whereas, the ability to create things with your hands, like block/brick walls, has been in demand for thousands of years now.

Last edited by The Flux Capacitard; 09-01-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Yeah I know a lot of IT people that are out of work with CCNA certs that are going back to school because the marked it flooded.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Count

I appreciate the suggestions.. minus the off-topic and grammar nazi bullshit, but ah.. Some people exist to simply waste other peoples time.. what can ya do? lol

The suggestions have been very helpful, and much appreciated. I don't neccesary want to get certified in all these things with the intentions of only making money. I just like to learn new things, and I have alot of varying interest. The certification just means I've been tested and have proven atleast basic knowledge in whatever it is I've been certified for. I'll still be checking back for more suggestions, but again.. many thanks.

EDIT: Would a Mod please remove all off-topic post? Thank you.

Last edited by Vigilante; 09-01-2010 at 07:31 PM.
LiquidIce (09-04-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Confusationalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbod View Post
lmao i just remembered i got a babysitting certificate for completeing a babysitting course when i was like 11. And i think learning first aid was included in the course. lol would that be useful? ahahahha
I think you have to update your first aid certification every 3-5 years, depending on your location. Depending on your age, day care certification would probably be more useful than babysitting certification.

Teaching English as a Second Language is another certification that can bring in a bit of cash.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flux Capacitard View Post
Well, OP asked for ways to increase income. You don't have to work for anyone but yourself. Spend five years of your life learning to do practical things and you will always be able to make money, anywhere in the world. My mate makes about an extra $1200 per month in addition to his regular income by butchering livestock for people here and there. For myself, I rarely even have to work regular jobs anymore... and I'm quite average in my abilities. I will be retiring at age 35.

I'm sorry to say it, but your expectations of $100/hour with an A+ are completely unrealistic. An A+ certified individual of average technical ability is worth about $9-10/hour in today's market, and it's getting lower. The IT industry is swamped with people who have the entire alphabet of certifications listed after their name, and they're really not any better off. Twenty years or more ago, if you were good with computers, you could make great money. These days, everyone has computer skills and unless you're exceptionally talented and experienced, you're still going to spend most of your career making average wages and working for dickheads.

There's nothing wrong with that if it's what you're interested in, but understand that you don't see many people of a mature age working in IT. Realize that what you've learned this year will be worth less money next year, and eventually in most IT careers, your greatest areas of expertise will be worth next to nothing in the job market. When I was younger, I did a lot of IT help desk work in a call center, and I can't tell you how many people I met there who had been making $50,000+ a year in IT at some earlier stage and were then making $9/hour because their skills became obsolete.

Whereas, the ability to create things with your hands, like block/brick walls, has been in demand for thousands of years now.
I do agree with you, there. My personal thoughts about computers are reflected by where I live - I live in Mississippi, one of the least computer-literate states in America. I take great pride in being able to talk circles around my professor on many things.

And you can make genuinely good money if you're a contractor. The downside is not having a stable, every-day-of-the-week job. But you can practically charge what you want, as a benefit. Of course, if you'd rather nine-to-five it and stay on call for whatever it is an hour, that's fine. Get your dental and suchlike and be happy.

I have very little competition around where I live. There are a few competitors, but if I was to go into business I could drastically undercut their prices and still make damn good money.
The Flux Capacitard (09-02-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Marquis

As far as using certifications to appear more "employable" goes, they're close to useless unless it's actually directly relevant to the job you're applying for. Example, a Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate will help you get a job at a bar here in Australia (it's required), but will not help you get any other job that has nothing to do with the certification. Yes it may give you a slight edge against a competing candidate if all else is equal, but chances are you're going to be going up against people who have more and better experience than you.

Of course, being certified in something is usually only ever a plus, and it won't hurt you unless you do something stupid like take a month long course in something you are not even the least bit interested in which costs $1,000.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Confusationalist

A lot of employers will pay for you to get certifications, as long as they're in some way related to your job.

Train the Trainer certification can be helpful in many jobs.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Banned

I was just reading another thread about "what language should i learn next?" and i think learning a second or third language is very valuable in todays world. You could probably get certified in that but even if you dont get a certificate but you still learned it, it looks very good on a resume.
Vigilante (09-02-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphilis View Post
As far as using certifications to appear more "employable" goes, they're close to useless unless it's actually directly relevant to the job you're applying for. Example, a Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate will help you get a job at a bar here in Australia (it's required), but will not help you get any other job that has nothing to do with the certification. Yes it may give you a slight edge against a competing candidate if all else is equal, but chances are you're going to be going up against people who have more and better experience than you.

Of course, being certified in something is usually only ever a plus, and it won't hurt you unless you do something stupid like take a month long course in something you are not even the least bit interested in which costs $1,000.
knowing a second language will help you atleast 80% of the time when applying for jobs.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 AM
President Of The Fragyard

Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,837 Posts

Personally, I'm a graphics designer/3D modeler and people here are 100% correct, from 6 years ago, my wages have taken a nosedive, and i do a second job managing a hotel. For the hardest of times, i have a bunch of certs, and i mean a BUNCH. Babysitter, daycare have already been mentioned, masonry, carpentry, auto-repair, mechanical repairs, electrical, plumbing, electronics repair, fine electronic repair, heavy operator, lifeguard, mine safety and operation(coal, gas, minerals), oil rig operations, train operator, all these will help me survive a possible economic depression, because you can give up internet and broken PCs, but you can't give up anything i'm certified in.

All of these things, i did throughout my life over bored summers and kept up to date on. From a kid who needed to pay for his NES games running errands to plumbing for a short whhile when i got laid off 2 months ago. I don't have any issues in the job market.
Vigilante (09-02-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Confusationalist

Technical Writing is a good certification.
Vigilante (09-02-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Duke

Definitely gonna try a go at that A+ certification and then either find a small computer shop to work at or just do freelance repairs.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
Personally, I'm a graphics designer/3D modeler and people here are 100% correct, from 6 years ago, my wages have taken a nosedive, and i do a second job managing a hotel. For the hardest of times, i have a bunch of certs, and i mean a BUNCH. Babysitter, daycare have already been mentioned, masonry, carpentry, auto-repair, mechanical repairs, electrical, plumbing, electronics repair, fine electronic repair, heavy operator, lifeguard, mine safety and operation(coal, gas, minerals), oil rig operations, train operator, all these will help me survive a possible economic depression, because you can give up internet and broken PCs, but you can't give up anything i'm certified in.

All of these things, i did throughout my life over bored summers and kept up to date on. From a kid who needed to pay for his NES games running errands to plumbing for a short whhile when i got laid off 2 months ago. I don't have any issues in the job market.
No offense bud, but how can you possibly be certified in all of the above, when most of those that you listed are trades that require 4 years full-time hours and schooling to get a C of Q(certificate of qualification). To me it seems like you're more of a shade tree jack of all trades.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Knight

He isn't, he's been full of shit since he started posting.