Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Science > Flasks and Beakers

Old 09-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Sea Cucumber

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,450 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Zanick
Question Acetone/Denatonium Benzoate

I have 32 oz. of nail polish remover to be used for extracting plant matter. I made sure to get containers that said "100% Pure Acetone" but upon further inspection, the ingredients are acetone and denatonium benzoate.

This second ingredient, denatonium benzoate, what exactly is it for? Will it interfere with extractions of any kind? I looked it up but didn't seem to get much information about it.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:57 AM
Banned

Default Re: Acetone/Denatonium Benzoate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium_benzoate

Quote:
Denatonium, usually available as denatonium benzoate (under trade names such as Bitrex or Aversion) and as denatonium saccharide, is the bitterest chemical compound known. It was discovered in 1958 during research on local anesthetics by Macfarlan Smith of Edinburgh, Scotland, and registered under the trademark Bitrex.[1] Dilutions of as little as 10 ppm are unbearably bitter to most humans. Denatonium salts are usually colorless and odorless solids but are often traded as solutions. They are used as aversive agents to prevent accidental ingestion. Denatonium is used in denatured alcohol,[2] antifreeze, nail biting preventions, respirator mask fit-testing, animal repellents, liquid soaps, and shampoos. It is not known to pose any long-term health risks.

Denatonium is a quaternary ammonium cation. It is a compound of a salt with an inert anion like benzoate or saccharide. The structure of denatonium is related to the local anesthetic lidocaine, differing only by the addition of a benzyl group to the amino nitrogen.

The bitterness of the compound guides most applications of denatonium. Denatonium benzoate is used to denature ethanol so that it is not taxed as an alcoholic beverage. One designation in particular, SD-40B, indicates that ethanol has been denatured using denatonium benzoate. The common name for this chemical, denatonium, alludes to this application.

Denatonium also discourages consumption of harmful alcohols like methyl alcohol, and additives like ethylene glycol. Denatonium is also used in rubbing alcohol as an inactive ingredient. It is also added to all kinds of harmful liquids including solvents, paints, varnishes, toiletries, and other household products.

It may also be added to less hazardous aerosol products to discourage the use of the volatile vapors as inhalants.

Since 1995, when the State of Oregon required that denatonium benzoate be added to antifreeze and windshield wiper fluid, the compound has been increasingly found in these substances throughout the world. The addition is credited with saving children and animals who might otherwise drink sweet antifreeze or wiper fluid and get ethylene glycol or methanol poisoning respectively.

Other uses include nail polish for preventing nail biting, and as animal repellent (especially for big game like deer). Animals are known to have different sensitivities to the effects of denatonium. It has been used to safeguard rat poisons from human consumption,[3] as humans are able to detect denatonium at much lower concentrations than rodents[4]. Some cats have been known to be tempted by them — it may not be as effective a deterrent for cats as it is for humans, or perhaps some cats are not deterred due to a genetic factor similar to that affecting human perceptions of the taste of phenylthiocarbamide.

I can't help ya much but that gives info on wtf it is and why/how it's used

edit: will make anything it's in taste AWFUL probably to discourage someone from taking it, sorta as a deterrent, not really sure how to remove it as I'm not chemistry inclined
Old 10-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Knight

No, it will not interfere. The concentrations are less than 10 ppm most likely. But why do you buy nail polish remover acetone? Buy pain thinner. It's much purer, and much more. If you're extracting stuff that will be orally consumed, I would get ready for some nasty bitterness. It's not harmful though, just terrible tasting.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainhit View Post
Distillation will remove denatonium benzoate.
You can use it just fine with the benzoate, the concentration of it is so low, I seriously doubt it will interfere with anything.
If even a little bit of denatonium is left in your product, the bitterness will make you hurl.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Sea Cucumber

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,450 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Zanick

Damn. So if I distill the nail polish remover, it will remove the denatonium benzoate?
Thanks; I should have gotten paint thinner. Goddamn bottle said "100% Acetone" but then the ingredients said otherwise after I had already bought the stuff. Next time I suppose.

Last edited by Zanick; 10-05-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanick View Post
Damn. So if I distill the nail polish remover, it will remove the denatonium benzoate?
Thanks; I should have gotten paint thinner. Goddamn bottle said "100% Acetone" but then the ingredients said otherwise after I had already bought the stuff. Next time I suppose.
Why would they add it to acetone, lol. I don't know anyone, ever, who has drank acetone. And if it will come out of solution, then it isn't a prevention to sniffers.

Sigh...read my new signature for advice on evaporating solvents
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,166 Posts

So if you evaped the acetone off would the denatonium evaporate also or be left on the product?
The man who is proudly certain of his own value, will want the highest type of woman he can find, the woman he admires, the strongest, the hardest to conquer — because only the possession of a heroine will give him the sense of an achievement, not the possession of a brainless slut. -Francisco D’Anconia
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Wealthy Merchant

its only nail polish remover acetone that has bitrex, buy it from a hardware store, its clean.