Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > DIY

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Count

Send a message via ICQ to Bong McPuffin Send a message via AIM to Bong McPuffin Send a message via MSN to Bong McPuffin Send a message via Yahoo to Bong McPuffin
Default Some stuff I made on my lathe

Heres some stuff I made on my wood lathe over the past couple months... a couple of these things are my dads work, but I had to hold his hand and instruct him the whole way so essentially its my work via his hands.

I don't work with ANY measuring tools aside from my fingers for depth/diameter... everything is either free-form or slowly worked into shape. Jar lids are especially hard to get right and get a tight fit on. I've only ever had 5 out of probably 20 jars that I've made where the lid was tight enough to POP when you open it, like a can of pringles. The rest were kind of loose and sloppy. Most of the time its due to the wood being somewhat warm as I turn it (friction) and as it cools it shrinks and looses the tight fit... this is VERY difficult to account for because different woods shrink and swell at different rates.

^ Goblet with a captive single piece ring.

^ A bowl my dad made when I was like 4 years old... its probably older than a lot of you youngsters, if you are a teenager (13-19), this bowl is older than you.

^ Hollow vessel I made from a tree that fell over in a wind storm... use it as a vase for fake flowers.

^ Small vessel I made out of some scrap piece from a jar I sold.

^ Little pear shaped jar my dad made, kind of odd looking so I included it here.

^ Jar for stashing my weed in back when I had enough weed to stash anywhere but my bong or in a blunt.

^Small candy bowl I made for my dad back when he was a jelly bean freak.

^ Two weird little bowls I made, more for decoration than for function, but I ended up using them for the longest time to hold my keys at the end of the day.

^ Pencil holder made from a chunk of left over fire wood.

^ A weird bowl my dad made, he has no sense of scale or physics so it has an incredibly tiny base for how wide it is.

^ AND THIS IS MY MASTERPIECE.... this jar was the first jar I ever made and it is by far and large the nicest thing I have ever made in my entire life. The lid is so perfect that it pops when you pull it off. Everything about this jar is so awesome that I can't believe my own two hands made it. I actually had one guy offer me $150 for it but I just couldn't get rid of it... maybe for some ridiculous sum of money will I part with it.

What REALLY breaks my heart about that jar is that two weeks ago I noticed it was missing from my room. My sister stole it and sold it to the smoke shop up the street for $7.50. I had to go up to that smoke shop and explain to the asian dude behind the counter that my cunt sister stole it from me and I needed it back because it meant a LOT to me... had to get the store owner involved and ended up having to buy it back for the $7.50 they gave to my sister. There is more than $7.50 worth of wood there, that wenge is EXPENSIVE and that paduak ring at the top is a now-extinct or at least no-longer-in-production species of wood. You can still get some species of padauk, but that particular ring is from a super-rare species... at least according to my dad, he bought the board I made that from like 5 years before I was born.

SIDE-NOTE: All colors are NATURAL! Yes, wood does grow in PURPLE and orange and green. I DO NOT STAIN ANY OF MY PIECES! I USE CLEAR LACQUER AND CLEAR WAX!

EDIT: These links are fucking pissing me off... first it displayed only the thumbnails, now its randomly dropping certain pics from the line-up... I'm getting fucking frustrated.

EDIT EDIT: IMAGEVENUE CAN SUCK MY HAIRY BALLS GRR FUCK THAT GARBAGE!

EDIT EDIT EDIT: FINALLY got the pics up and stable... seriously, fuck imagevenue. Photobucket FTW.

Last edited by Bong McPuffin; 01-10-2011 at 11:55 AM.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
MunkeyQ (01-12-2011), Venom (01-11-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Serf

Default Re: Some stuff I made on my lathe

How did you hollow out the middle? The bowls I can understand, but the vases/jars?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Count

Send a message via ICQ to Bong McPuffin Send a message via AIM to Bong McPuffin Send a message via MSN to Bong McPuffin Send a message via Yahoo to Bong McPuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested21 View Post
How did you hollow out the middle? The bowls I can understand, but the vases/jars?
Well at first it was extremely difficult because I had the cheapest set of tools you could possibly buy ($20 brand new) and it took fucking FOREVER to scrape away the inside of the jar.

Basically, as the jar rotates, you're scraping away layer after layer after layer until you get to the depth you want.... its a long and labor intensive effort with shitty tools. The narrower the opening the harder it is... the hardest thing to make believe it or not was the hollow vessel (pic 3) because it was a multi-axis project, I first turned it long-ways into a cylinder, then I rotated it and rounding that cylinder into a ball, then I mounted the ball onto a face-plate and turned the outside shape, then using the smallest scraper I had (1 inch wide) I made a tiny hole and bored to the depth I wanted then I started angling the tool in the tiny opening and scraped away at the sides until the inside of it was hollowed out, then I finished the neck/opening part to repair the tool marks I made from bumping it while hollowing it out. It was extremely dangerous and it incorporated some really advanced wood turning techniques.

Now I have a 3-foot long scraper thats called a Probe because its really thin, it has a carbide tip on the end of it that I can adjust to different angles, and it makes short work of hollowing stuff out... but the tool cost me $90 on its own.

I also make steam-roller pipes, and I'm going to start making wood bongs as soon as I get a new chuck and a set of jaws to go on it. I only have a mini-chuck right now thats GREAT for making like chess-pieces or like little handles to go on the lids. I managed to make a couple full-sized steam rollers with it but it just doesn't have the gripping power I need for my some-what aggressive style of wood working. I also need a better drill-bit for boring the long skinny tube out... even my brand new probe isn't skinny enough to bore out a 1-inch wide inside diameter tube.

Last edited by Bong McPuffin; 01-10-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Baron

I can't see any pics?

www.humanasemeritus.com
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandelbrots uncle View Post
I can't see any pics?
Refresh the page, I was having major issues with Imagevenue, as in they completely suck at their job. I had to re-upload to photobucket and I just got the images to display properly... what a fucking headache that was!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Count

Heres some more stuff that I forgot I made until I checked my footlocker just a few minutes ago and I was like "Oh yeah! I totally forgot I had these!"... out of sight out of mind.

^ This is my most recent and best made steam-roller yet. Its roughly 6 inches long (I don't measure things). I can't make them any bigger than this though, my mini-chuck just isn't capable of doing anything really beefy and I'm pushing it WELL beyond its intended usage. You can see the scratch-rings on the inside where the jaws slipped a couple times from the torque of my lathe when I accidentally stalled the piece due to being too aggressive with the tools.

^ This is a REALLY nice yo-yo I made, its a solid unit, I had to learn how to re-saw to make the striped pattern... VERY dangerous work because you're cutting such thin strips on-edge on the band saw. To make the slit for the string I took a metal bumper off an old FORD pickup truck and ground it down into a custom-made thin-kerf cutting tool. Worked surprisingly well. It is EXTREMELY fragile and unfixable if you break it... so these are more of your high-class yo-yos, not something you'd give to a little kid.

^ Another super nice yo-yo I made. Its made from 1 solid block of purple heart wood, which is extremely dense and heavy wood and is fairly difficult to tool down (compared to softer woods like oak/maple). I don't make those cheap-ass two piece yo-yos that just anyone can make with bearings/metal axle... no sir, my yo-yos are done the old-school way. It takes WAY more skill to do it this way and to make both sides perfectly symmetrical AND evenly weighted so the yo-yo doesn't wobble as it goes up and down the string.

I DID ALL OF THIS 100% BY EYE! I DON'T USE ANY MEASURING TOOLS! JUST INSTINCT AND SKILL! No calipers, no rulers, no story-stick, no depth-gauge, nothing.

EDIT: Heres another jar that my dad just made a few days ago, he's getting better and this time I didn't have to hold his hand thru the whole process! The picture is blurry because he doesn't understand how our new camera works... had it on Sports mode or some shit... but you can see the general shape of the jar. That is a solid chunk of padauk. That is an expensive jar.

See the knob on top? That is about the maximum size my mini-chuck was meant to work... and I popped out that 6-inch long steamroller on it.

I don't have a picture of it, but I also made a billy-club for my drug dealer friend made from Lignum Vitae, which is also known as Iron-wood because it is so incredibly hard, heavy, dense, and indestructible. To put it another way, my piddly little tool set BARELY was able to shape the wood and I had to resharpen the tools constantly otherwise I'd just end up burning the wood instead of cutting it. You need carbide-tipped tools to even remotely work the wood with any kind of ease.

If he hit you in the head with that stick it would be more powerful than a baseball bat and its only about 18 inches long... it would be more like being clobbered with a lead pipe than a baseball bat.

Last edited by Bong McPuffin; 01-10-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM

Thumbs Up Re: Some stuff I made on my lathe

Those are some really top-nice pieces you made there, it's nice to see someone making an effort.

Lemme ask you a question, how do you secure the material you're working on? I mean, I'm no stranger to lathes, got one in my bedroom and a big one in the basement but they're both for metal working and no doubt quite a lot different from a wood working lathe...
I've got my chucks and tailstocks, but I believe wood lathes use some "spikes" or something to that effect?

And, I assume you can't use a tailstock to help keep the wood aligned when your'e hollowing out, so how do you keep the piece from wobbling or coming lose? Provided I'm correct in my assumption in regards to how you secure the wood to the main spindle, it seems impossible to get a solid hold unless you jam the spikes in really deep, which would leave holes in the work piece, forcing you to to finish the piece before cutting it off...

Oh, and how many RPM's do you generally work within?

Last edited by SHARP; 01-10-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Typo...
Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARP View Post
Those are some really top-nice pieces you made there, it's nice to see someone making an effort.

Lemme ask you a question, how do you secure the material you're working on? I mean, I'm no stranger to lathes, got one in my bedroom and a big one in the basement but they're both for metal working and no doubt quite a lot different from a wood working lathe...
I've got my chucks and tailstocks, but I believe wood lathes use some "spikes" or something to that effect?

And, I assume you can't use a tailstock to help keep the wood aligned when your'e hollowing out, so how do you keep the piece from wobbling or coming lose? Provided I'm correct in my assumption in regards to how you secure the wood to the main spindle, it seems impossible to get a solid hold unless you jam the spikes in really deep, which would leave holes in the work piece, forcing you to to finish the piece before cutting it off...

Oh, and how may RPM's do you generally work within?
All of these are EXCELLENT questions...

To secure the wood to the lathe I use 3 different tools depending on the size of the piece and what it is I'm trying to make.

First and simplest method is to draw an X from corner to corner on both sides of the block and then pinch it between a spur-center on the headstock (spike with 4 fins that provide the grip/torque) and a live-center on the tail-stock (double-ball bearing with a center spike and a 1-inch diameter circle/rim to provide stability). This is useful for spindle-turning, which is basically anything that isn't going to be hollowed out... so its great for like making billy-clubs, table-legs, baseball bats, etc...

Second method I use to secure wood to my lathe is to glue a piece of ply-wood to one side of the block to be mounted, making sure there are no gaps between the mating surfaces. Then I draw an X across the plywood and I use a 3-inch faceplate to securely hold the wood. I have had screw-related failures before and let me tell you, having a block of purple heart smash into your face as its breaks free from a lathe running at 3000rpm is almost like taking a bare knuckle sucker-punch to the face from Mike Tyson on PCP. It went THROUGH my plastic face shield. This is the method I use for making my jars/bowls. By keeping the base as wide as possible until I get done hollowing/shaping most of the jar, it stays 100% wobble free. Its when your glue/plywood base gets smaller than 4 or 5 inches that it gets kind of scary.

The third method I use to mount wood on my lathe is with my mini-jaws, and its fucking terrible for anything but making chess-pieces/drawer knobs/other small items. If I had a full-sized chuck/jaw system I could do a LOT more stuff. I managed to make the above steam-roller and 2 others on it, but its EXTREMELY dangerous and I'm putting easily 10 times the stress on those jaws than they were designed for.

Ok, so with all the mounting questions out of the way, on to general finishing techniques...

Parting a piece off the lathe is the trickiest aspect of finishing a piece up. When I'm first starting out, I round the block out into a cylinder, then I establish where exactly the part will be (usually between the plywood and the hardwood glue joint so I conserve as much wood as possible). I part in at a slight angle because you part it off flat/ the wrong way, the piece will wobble/lean when you set it down on the table, by parting inwards, like the bottom of a coke-can the piece tends to sit nice and flat on the table.

Anyways, I establish the part just a little bit so I know where to quit shaping the piece at, and then I go ahead and shape the piece as I see fit, then I sand it all down (still on the lathe) going from 80 grit to 800 up to 2000, depending on how smooth/shiny I want the piece to be. Then I put an inside-out sock on my hand and dip my index finger into a bucket of laquer and I rub that all over the wood, turn the lathe off to fill in any little pits/grooves, turn the lathe back on and then buff that coat out a little bit, then I put another coat of it on and buff that out and let it dry thoroughly, then I grind some carnuba wax into the wood while its spinning so it melts then I take the sock and buff the wax to a high glossy shine. Then, being EXREMELY careful to not mess up the finish I use my thin-kerf parting tool to "cut" the piece off the lathe. Then I take it to my drill press where I have a foam-backed disk sander mounted into the drill chuck (foam backed so its flexible and won't change the contour of the bottom of the jar) and I sand the bottom of the piece so the tell-tale bump or "nipple" is sanded off leaving the bottom smooth.

RPMs are dictated by the size of the object and what stage of production you are in... when you're taking a block from square (or octagon, if you cut the corners off) you are generally within the 400-1500 RPM range. Once the piece is rounded out the RPMs vary wildly. The smaller the piece, the faster the RPMs, so things like chess pieces/chop-sticks/drawer knobs/jar-knobs you're up in the 3000-4000 rpm range. Since I'm slightly more aggressive and I don't follow all the rules of wood-turning according to the manual (I'm self-taught anyways, fuck the manual). I generally work in the 1500-3000 range for 95% of all my projects. When you sand you turn it all the way down or just slightly above the lowest speed because friction will burn not only your wood, but your finger tips as well... I've gotten 2nd degree burns from sanding something too vigorously on too high of a speed. When I do my final buffing I turn the lathe up to about 3000 rpm so when the wax melts from the sock centrifugal force kind of smooths the wax out to an almost glass-smooth finish.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Count

To make a steamroller its a HUGE pain in the ass with my current equipment (namely the lack of a bigger set of jaws)... I have to use a forstner bit mounted into a morse-taper #2 jacobs chuck (basically a drill-press chuck designed to be used on a lathe) and then I grip the block with a pair of vice-grips and use the tail-stock to feed the block into the spinning bit, using the tool-rest to stop the block from spinning. I almost lost a couple fingers making that steamroller you see above because the vice-grips slipped and the block came flying off and it slammed into my hand causing my entire hand to go limp/numb for about 6 hours.

And thats JUST to create the hole for mounting it onto the jaws. I then take the jacobs chuck out of the head stock and put it into the tailstock and I put my jaws on the headstock, insert the jaws into the hole and then expand it outwards as hard as I possibly can so its gripped securely from the inside, then I bring the tail-stock up with the jacobs chuck/drill bit in it and I center it all up and then turn the lathe on and slowly advance the drill bit into the wood... this takes fucking FOREVER even on a 6 inch piece of wood. The bits also have a tendency to fucking bend after about 4 inches so I have to bore it out half-way, then flip the piece around and then bore it from the other side until the hole meets in the middle.

THEN, still not finished yet, I have to take the jacobs chuck out of the tail-stock and put in my live-center cone and then bring that up and use it to plug the hole and provide stability on the end of the pipe... NOW I can round the outside of the block out and put any decorative touches I want to put on it and then I sand/finish the piece as usual. THEN I'm STILL not done, I have to make two little legs for the pipe so it will sit flat on a table and not roll off and break on the floor. So, back to the mini-chuck where I pop in a small block of whatever kind of wood I want to make the legs out of (actually using the chuck for what it was designed for... small parts!). Then I drill two holes onto the bottom-side of the pipe and insert the legs, gluing them if necessary (I try not to use any kind of glue on anything that might be smoked out of, so everything I do is pressure/friction-fitted).

AND THEN, the most important part and one of the finishing touches, is to drill the hole where the bowl-piece goes, pop a forstner bit into the drill-press and then drill the hole, insert rubber grommet, then cram the metal/glass bowl piece into the grommet to make it air-tight, cutting off any excess tubing on the stem of the bowl so it fits inside the pipe without sticking too far up.

Final touch to the pipe, so that way when you put it down on a table, its rock-solid and not wobbling, is to take it to the belt-sander and being VERY careful you touch the feet to it first and then tilt the mouth-piece end onto to belt and sand until all 3 points (both legs and the mouth piece) are all flat and at the same angle (SEE WHAT I MEAN HERE and HERE)

Last edited by Bong McPuffin; 01-10-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Count

I also have one of these bad boys that my dad just got me for my birthday...

...this is a steady-rest for holding longer pieces, it makes hollowing stuff out WAY safer and a lot smoother, especially things with a narrow opening. This, combined with my new probe, I can make some pretty tall jars now and I can make some proper flower vases or even lamps! I haven't had much chance to use it since I'm out of wood until some of this stuff sells.

Oh yeah, thats an ash-tray on the lathe that I just rounded out, you can see the plywood base on it that is attached to the face-plate...

I fucked up routing the groove but it shouldn't matter since its gonna end up looking a lot like this anyways...

^ thats Lacewood, the blank on the lathe is some wood called Bloodwood.... REALLY pretty when its finished/buffed out.

BONUS PIC: Here is a lacewood ashtray blank after I routed the groove, for some reason my fence moved as I was making the second groove and they don't line up, but I doubt anyone is going to notice/care once its all finished.

Last edited by Bong McPuffin; 01-10-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Count

Oh look! More ashtrays!

I forgot to lacquer/wax these two

This is some little knick-knack I made, I've been using it to hold paper-clips. That red-line you see is Redheart, EXTREMELY expensive wood, hence why I only used a tiny little slat out of it.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Arrow Re: Some stuff I made on my lathe

That was a very thorough explanation.

Most of it sounds more or less identical to what I've been through. Ok, I've got a carriage etc., so it's not that hard to hollow out a piece as I can just use a tool bit and run it in, but I'm all too familiar with having to switch shit around and adapt.
Also, I can see we're both using some of the same tools like the jacobs chuck and live-center cone.

Unlike you, I measure constantly and would rather take off 1/100 of a millimeter too little, than one too much... But then again, I don't work in organic materials and the bits I make usually have to be dead on and aren't anywhere as much pieces of functional art as they're machine parts or tools - the last thing I made was a gear cutting hob.
Bong McPuffin (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Knight

Lovely work. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us!
Bong McPuffin (01-10-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM
lolwatts

Nice work there! What router bits do you use? I've found hardwood destroys my not-so-cheap bits.

I've always wanted a lathe, or at least to have a go on one. Nearest I've come is getting to use my old college's old lathe after dusting it off...lasted about a minute til the motor's bearing seized.

Tempted to knock up a ghetto lathe from box section and a power drill, just for dicking about on.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Mistress of the Electron

Impressive. I'd like to be able to turn bowls. I've done a bit of turning myself, though I only have a metal lathe to work with. It works great for wood, and is very precise, but it's really slow turning the knobs instead of holding a chisel. The good news is I have nice big three and four jaw chucks to hold things, and 1/2" high speed steel tool blanks are really cheep.

The biggest challenge for me is always finishing. My latest technique is sanding it down to 2500 grit, vacuum infusing it with mineral oil, then buffing. This works great for tight grain woods like buckthorn (one of my favourites), but not for porous woods like oak. It's what I used for my Zen rake. Next I want to try infusing with resin or a polymerizing oil.

What do you do for finishing the end held in the headstock? I find if I simply cut it off, I can never get a decent finish. I like to flip it around, and grip the finished end in the chuck using polyurethane foam to prevent dents. It works well for some things, but I have to be careful to do all the shaping first, because it can't take much torque. It ends up being a bit off center too, but it doesn't matter for sanding.

I really want to get a decent set of wood chisels, but I don't know how well it would work with a metal lathe. It doesn't have a tool rest, or even a proper space for one. It doesn't have easy speed adjustments either, requiring ten minutes with a wrench to move the belts.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Good thread.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Archduke

Thanked 1,059 Times in 688 Posts

Awesome pieces. Makes me want to do some work...
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula Tzar View Post
Impressive. I'd like to be able to turn bowls. I've done a bit of turning myself, though I only have a metal lathe to work with. It works great for wood, and is very precise, but it's really slow turning the knobs instead of holding a chisel. The good news is I have nice big three and four jaw chucks to hold things, and 1/2" high speed steel tool blanks are really cheep.

The biggest challenge for me is always finishing. My latest technique is sanding it down to 2500 grit, vacuum infusing it with mineral oil, then buffing. This works great for tight grain woods like buckthorn (one of my favourites), but not for porous woods like oak. It's what I used for my Zen rake. Next I want to try infusing with resin or a polymerizing oil.

What do you do for finishing the end held in the headstock? I find if I simply cut it off, I can never get a decent finish. I like to flip it around, and grip the finished end in the chuck using polyurethane foam to prevent dents. It works well for some things, but I have to be careful to do all the shaping first, because it can't take much torque. It ends up being a bit off center too, but it doesn't matter for sanding.

I really want to get a decent set of wood chisels, but I don't know how well it would work with a metal lathe. It doesn't have a tool rest, or even a proper space for one. It doesn't have easy speed adjustments either, requiring ten minutes with a wrench to move the belts.
Yeah a tool-rest for the chisels is an absolute must-have. For finishing the bottoms of stuff I have a foam-backed sander thats about 2 or 3 inches wide and it conforms to the shape of whatever I'm sanding, so I put that into my drill press and then I turn it on so the sander is spinning and then I put some pressure on the bottom of the jar/bowl/whatever and then I randomly move the peice around by hand as fast as I can to maintain the contour and avoid scratches, I do that until the little nub/nipple is worn away, then I change to a higher grit on that and then I sand it out until all rough marks are gone, then I simply lacquer/wax as usual.

What I'm missing is a buffing wheel, which would make finished the bottoms all that much better.

My philosophy is, if its sitting on a table you can't see the bottom anyways so I don't place so much importance on it.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Count

Once I get a bigger chuck and a proper set of jaws to go on them, I plan on turning wood bongs... not like your usual cheap-ass bamboo bongs where its a straight tube... I mean more like this...

I have the tools I need to do that now, but I'm just missing the jaws to hold the wood properly. I could probably do it with my face-plate and mini-jaws if I really felt like going through that labor intensive process, but I just don't have the energy to do it right now, especially since I'm still not making a profit off of this.

If you guys want to help me out, I made a thread in the trading pit. You can see the quality of my work and I'll put even more effort into making customers pieces than just my own piddly little projects that I do to kill time. Anything that I ship out will be almost perfect.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkeyQ View Post
Nice work there! What router bits do you use? I've found hardwood destroys my not-so-cheap bits.

I've always wanted a lathe, or at least to have a go on one. Nearest I've come is getting to use my old college's old lathe after dusting it off...lasted about a minute til the motor's bearing seized.

Tempted to knock up a ghetto lathe from box section and a power drill, just for dicking about on.
I only use a standard core-box bit in the router to make the ash-trays, aside from that a router is completely useless for me. Before I got this router/router table I just made a few cuts on the table saw and then hand-sanded using a dowel wrapped in sand paper to make the divots or whatever you want to call the spot where the cigarette rests. It was a fairly labor-intensive endeavor for such a small item so I never really made ash-trays up until recently.

My forte, if you will, is jar-making, its what I enjoy the most because it combines all my favorite aspects of wood turning... critical design choices, precision work, they are absolutely beautiful when done right, and above all else, its a functional and usable piece of art! I enjoy hollowing the jars out by hand also. Jars are by far and large one of the most technical pieces you can make on a lathe, but they also offer the most freedom for creativity. It gives me a great sense of satisfaction when I make a jar and the lid fits nice and snug (but not too snug!). The satisfaction comes from knowing I did it all free hand without measuring tools or templates or depth gauges.

I'm working on getting some thread-chasing tools for the lids to the jars so instead of being friction-fitted, you'll be able to screw the jar lid on so its way more secure/air tight.

As far as using a drill as a lathe, they sell vertical tool-rests that clamp onto the post of a drill press with a live-center that you can clamp to the post also. This is extremely limited in scope though, and you're working the piece vertically instead of horizontally... everything about it is awkward as hell.

The lathe I did all that work on above is a Shop Fox Mini Lathe and it cost $250 when I bought it, comes with a 3-inch face-plate, spur-center, and a live-center (along with a tool rest and tail-stock of course).
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Count

Rock on my friend. Back when I lived with my rents my dad had a awesome two car garage with every tool you could think of... well pretty damn close. We used to do everything in our home; beds, new rooms... Now that I moved out I understand how badass I had it and wish I had learned more from him than I did... Thanks for sharing Bong. Very very cool.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
lolwatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong McPuffin View Post
Things.
Thanks. Unfortunately my limits are on space, not costs - I'm a bit of a nomad, always moving around, and in my current place I don't have space for a proper wood lathe like yours. It would have pride of place in my lounge, but I don't think my housemates would be too pleased. I'd mainly use it to make my own phase plugs for speakers, which are pretty much solid MDF bowls with an exponential profile.

On a sidenote, someone buy me one of these. I have no idea what I'd use it for as I don't do much with metal apart from welding. But it looks oh so awesome, and I'd be able to fit it in my room.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Count

I made a thread in The Trading Pit if you guys want to have a look.

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=151762

The stuff I've pictured is just my personal stuff that I did to kill time, but I hate sanding because its time consuming and it tends to burn your fingertips sometimes.

The things I make for sale will be sanded down WAY better and won't have nearly as many rough pits/whatever that you see in some of the pictures (see the little knick-knack purple and red thing above). That only happened because I ran out of the lower-grits of sand paper. Anything I ship out won't have that stuff, it will be perfectly smooth and shiny.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Count

Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately my limits are on space, not costs - I'm a bit of a nomad, always moving around, and in my current place I don't have space for a proper wood lathe like yours. It would have pride of place in my lounge, but I don't think my housemates would be too pleased. I'd mainly use it to make my own phase plugs for speakers, which are pretty much solid MDF bowls with an exponential profile.

On a sidenote, someone buy me one of these. I have no idea what I'd use it for as I don't do much with metal apart from welding. But it looks oh so awesome, and I'd be able to fit it in my room.
That is a pretty sweet lathe... they have micro wood lathes as well, Craftsman makes one for like $180 I think.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2

^ Whoever put that machine together for the picture is retarded. First off the tool-rest is on backwards, and Secondly you don't use a spur center and a face plate at the same time, its either one or the other. You could make a lot of stuff with that little guy believe it or not, like pens and little tops (the toy that you spin) just off the top of my head.

Last edited by Bong McPuffin; 01-12-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Duke

That's really cool. I often toy with the idea of making furniture and stuff, as a relaxing way of making a bit of extra cash at the weekend. I did mean to make a chair last summer but never got around to it - maybe this summer I'll be able to do it.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Thumbs Up Re: Some stuff I made on my lathe

Quote:
Awww, that is without a doubt the cutest lathe I've ever seen!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Regular

Damn nice stuff! Keep it up. I want to give it a try if I ever get my hand on a lathe.

You should market this stuff. Quality hand made stuff of ANY kind is hard to find.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Count

Just so everyone is clear, and to hopefully drive more people to my other thread, I'd just like to remind everyone that saw all this that most of the stuff in this thread is for sale, and I have another thread in The Trading Pit that outlines my price estimates for most of the products I make.

You can view that thread here -

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=151762

My main goal is to get a proper chuck and set of jaws and then you guys will see some CRAZY shit that I can make that I've been developing in the back of my mind for a few months now... I'm THIS ---> " close to being able to make some really fucking awesome stuff, but I need the money to get the equipment to make this stuff properly.

Once I get the proper jaws, I'll be able to make the following items

* Full sized wooden bongs at a cheaper price than I am currently offering them at, they will also be of higher quality once fully constructed.
* Big Bowls
* Much tougher YoYo's with bearings/axles
* Lamps (as in like a bed-side light on a table kind of lamp)
* Clocks (Both wall clocks, desk clocks, and even alarm clocks!)
* Coffee Mugs (with custom burnt-in-by-hand inscriptions/designs)
* Pepper Grinding Mills
* Telescopes (both sky-watching and hand-held spy-glass types)
* Kaleidoscopes
* Chess Sets
* Decorative mushrooms of all shapes and sizes.

Come on people, I'm not an old-school wood turner, the stuff I make is bright and colorful and above all else, EVERYTHING I MAKE IS FUNCTIONAL! (aside from the decorative mushrooms)
Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Peasant

What kind of wood is the layered yo-yo made of? I need a wood volume control knob and I like the way the darker layer looks.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Count

The one that is pictured is Yellowheart and Redheart. Redheart is a very rare and expensive wood so it costs a little extra, but its easily my favorite woodas far as looks go. I buy it up whenever I can because its only going to get more expensive over time as the forests get cut down.

I just wish there was some naturally blue wood... that would be amazing to work with and I'd basically have the entire basic color pallet covered.

Check out my new website at http://www.wellroundedturning.com - I'm in the process of adding new stuff as I think it up. If you have any ideas, please contribute!