Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Peasant

Default Fake vehicle registration sticker

Two questions about this:

1. is there anywhere online that has scans/images of various registration stickers?

2. I've never been pulled over for anything besides expired registration. How likely is it that a cop driving behind you would randomly decide to run your license plate # through the computer?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Archduke

Default Re: Fake vehicle registration sticker

It's common to steal them off other cars. I'm interested if there's some kind of a template for recreating your own.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM

problem with the inspection stickers is that they are different for different states and that they are a sticker with other stickers that go on them and a signature with make model etc. on them. Then it all goes in a database so when they look up the infor for registration or renewal, its there
Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Peasant

I'm not talking about inspection stickers, I'm talking about vehicle registration stickers. All it is is a colored sticker that has the year on it, and then there's another with the month you got it renewed. They are different for different states, but the sticker for the year might be the same for all states (some states don't even have registration stickers i don't think).
Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Wealthy Merchant

In California it's a felony. Car gets impounded, you go to jail.

Expired sticker - you get a ticket and you're on your way, so long as it's not more than 6 months expired..

Take your pick.
Bender (02-05-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Peasant

Just steal a licence plate and peel the sticker off and put it on yours.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Grander Duke

Thanked 1,016 Times in 723 Posts

When cops ride behind you and are board they check all plates they can.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Regular

I'm not sure if there is any merit to this, but I've heard a lot of departments are installing plate scanners in their cruisers. If that's true, they only have to be behind you and your car will pop up as having expired tags. They'll pull you over and see that you have the sticker... then you're in a world of shit.

Just pay the money and be able to drive around without worry. Even if your registration is a couple hundred bucks, that's nothing compared to fuel, tiers, maintenance, and all the other expenses associated with owning a car over a year.

MM
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainycity View Post
When cops ride behind you and are board they check all plates they can.
This is what I really wanted to know. If it weren't for that, I'd do it, because I'm confident in my driving that I would never get stopped, but since they DO just randomly run plates, it's probly not worth the risk.

As for the plate scanners, that's interesting, I'll have to look into that more.

Now this really IS hypothetical, just thinking out loud, but I wonder how possible it would be to counterfeit a license plate with relatively little metal working equipment? The idea being, you drive around til you find a car with the same make, model, and color as yours, write down the license plate, go home and make it.

Obviously more trouble than it's worth, but trust that this honestly is entirely hypothetical.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

if you can get a scan i think idcheif would be willing to make it.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyProfane View Post

Now this really IS hypothetical, just thinking out loud, but I wonder how possible it would be to counterfeit a license plate with relatively little metal working equipment? The idea being, you drive around til you find a car with the same make, model, and color as yours, write down the license plate, go home and make it.

Obviously more trouble than it's worth, but trust that this honestly is entirely hypothetical.
Find a car with the same make, model, and color as yours, write down the license plate & order a novelty plate off the net. http://www.cr8apl8.com/
Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
Find a car with the same make, model, and color as yours, write down the license plate & order a novelty plate off the net. http://www.cr8apl8.com/
I was thinking about doing this. But if they pull you over they see the other persons name on registration.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshssoccer View Post
I was thinking about doing this. But if they pull you over they see the other persons name on registration.
dont get pulled over i guess. and you can avoid checkpoints with apps from the app store or the marketplace on your iphone or android phone. And theose apps should also tell you where cops have radar traps.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cr8apl8-com-tustin
Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Archduke

Quote:
I would try to do as little road driving as possible with novelty plates. If you want to cover your real plates w/them so parking lot cameras can't get your plate number you could always put them on in an adjoining parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbod View Post
Thanks hotbod. StainlessSteal originally posted about that company. Now I'm very glad I didn't try them.

Does anyone know of a reputable site one can purchase metal 'novelty' plates from?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Peasant

Very interesting. Ultimately not worth it, especially in this post 9/11 world where counterfeiting can be considered "economic terrorism", but i could see if being useful if someone absolutely HAD to get somewhere without being stopped and was confident in their driving.

Worth mentioning that I've never seen a checkpoint in my life where I'm from, so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

I think it's all about WHERE you want to place the level of necessary risk. You can drive with expired registration, and accept that there is some risk you'll get pulled over even if you drive perfectly, BUT it won't be as bad when you do (assuming that's it). OR you can drive with fake tags and accept that while you won't get pulled over if you drive perfectly, if you DO get pulled you, you're totally fucked.

I think very few situations would call for the latter option, but there are some.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:52 AM
New Arrival

Around where I am when you buy a new vehicle they give you a temporary tag with write on dates. Since there not really a database I bet someone could just use the mr clean magic eraser every 30 days and get away with it.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
Around where I am when you buy a new vehicle they give you a temporary tag with write on dates. Since there not really a database I bet someone could just use the mr clean magic eraser every 30 days and get away with it.
Yeah, I asked awhile back if anyone had a template for those... apparently no one does. The thing with those is you would have to completely remove your own plates. With someone's else's plates or novelty plates you can use magnets to stick the second plate over your plates.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Regular

One thing I always thought would be more feasible than fake/stolen plates or tags, is temporary registration. In CA if you're working on a car to get it able to pass smog, you can get a temp that lasts a month. Every year they're exactly the same. Red square, about 4"x4" with a large white number in the center corresponding for the month it is valid. There are no ID numbers or anything that can be seen unless you actually walk up and read it closely. The red ink that they use degrades in sun so that the paper is nearly always white after the month has passed (even if it didn't, the number is still viewable). These seem to be extremely easy to counterfeit with low risk of getting caught.

Just a thought.

MM
Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 AM
Mud Farmer

Quote:
ok so even if you make a plate and put it exactly to someone elses, still need stickers that arent expired, how does one do that...
Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Banned

jesus christ just pay the damn registration honestly its more trouble than its worth. PDs are having scanners nowadays its not just a matter of looking at a sticker.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Knight

Youre fucked anyway. When i worked for verizon and went out on utility problems that needed police to block off lanes, the police would block a lane.. angled toward traffic and just rapidly type license plate numbers to check for warrants/violations/expired registrations because they were bored. If they do it randomly, then they are definately doing it when they are up your ass.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by naltehs View Post
jesus christ just pay the damn registration honestly its more trouble than its worth. PDs are having scanners nowadays its not just a matter of looking at a sticker.
Yeah I don't know why this was necro'ed but +1. They gave em to one particular town here and in a matter of weeks, basically no more Dominicans had cars. All of a sudden the buses were full every morning.

I guess what I'm saying.. Don't be Dominican.