Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Serf

Default Stealing Textbooks from B&N

So,
SWIM went into Barnes n Nobles one day cause he needed a textbook for a class. Shit cost $170!!! For a THIN textbook, of which, SWIM would only be reading a FEW chapters! What the fuck?! So, obv, SWIM took that shit from the textbook section, walked over to a quiet study area, put it in his bag, and walked out. It was almost too easy to steal such a great amount of money....

now...is it possible to acquire many, many textbooks over time, and sell it back to used textbook stores, or even online? SWIM has also stolen many novels easily, BUT some novels have thin magnetic strips in them, which SWIM had to peel off before stepping out of the store.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Baron

Default Re: Stealing Textbooks from B&N

The more you do it, the more likely you are to get caught. It's like roulette, or quarters. Every time you win, you increase the chance of losing.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
ReigN (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Serf

Yep, Koko's experienced that too. He went to B&N and the first book he got had an rfid tag in it. He had read that they weren't stuck directly onto the page, but experience tells otherwise. Good thing he double checked. Anyone have a more efficient way to find out which page has the stupid tag in it, besides flipping through every single page?

As for textbooks, they seem to be really profitable. Amazon does trade ins for gift cards. I'm sure there are a lot more websites that do that too. Koko has found a few textbooks in school just lying around too. No one seems to care about them, but it's basically free money that's just sitting there.

I think you can also return the textbooks to them. Not too sure about the B&N return policy, but I think it allows receiptless returns. You get a gift card that can be sold.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Banned

Damn I never though of this
Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 AM
Wealthy Merchant

If you wanted to take things a little further, and not have to steal as many books, you could invest in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSn.../dp/B001V9LQH0

Basically, you steal the book, and instead of selling it, you take a hacksaw to the binder. Scan the entire fucking book. If it comes with a CD, burn that too. Now, go pirate acrobat and print the book to distiller, so you have a PDF.

Now, either get a printer that takes really cheap ink, or go something like a university / tech schools library / a classroom. Print the entire book when no one is looking.

Now you can sell the copies AND the pdf's. You can sell them at any university that uses that textbook. Might be something to try out, if you are looking to expand on your idea without painting too big of a bulls eye on your chest. Only real downside is that you gotta destroy the best copy of the book.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
If you wanted to take things a little further, and not have to steal as many books, you could invest in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSn.../dp/B001V9LQH0

Basically, you steal the book, and instead of selling it, you take a hacksaw to the binder. Scan the entire fucking book. If it comes with a CD, burn that too. Now, go pirate acrobat and print the book to distiller, so you have a PDF.

Now, either get a printer that takes really cheap ink, or go something like a university / tech schools library / a classroom. Print the entire book when no one is looking.

Now you can sell the copies AND the pdf's. You can sell them at any university that uses that textbook. Might be something to try out, if you are looking to expand on your idea without painting too big of a bulls eye on your chest. Only real downside is that you gotta destroy the best copy of the book.
Then the problem is that it's digital. Someone's probably gonna post it on a file sharing website or torrent it and people won't need your services anymore. Koko himself has done this. Downloading is free and you have a very slim chance of going to jail.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Peasant

Sounds like a nice idea, my buddy will probably do this himself. I'd suggest paying attention to the local semester schedule and returning the books near the end of a semester. And avoid getting them at the beginning of the semester, because they'll be paying more attention to the text books then.

I'm also interested in finding magna-strip things without flipping pages if anyone has input.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Archduke

Thanked 1,072 Times in 799 Posts

College textbooks are so overpriced its ridiculous.

The only other way I know of finding the rfid tag, but it only works if the rfid is fairly thick, is pinching the book very tight and trying to spot any bends or curves that aren't normal. But even this is a shitty method. I think the only way really is to flip through the pages fast.

Used to take magazines from B&N too, not that they're really useful as text books, but it was a small source of entertainment and easy because no rfid's at all. They actually sell some magazines that run more than 20-40 bucks in value, there's this one art magazine just full of high quality advertisements that cost over $130 for just a few issues. Can't remember what it was called...but they're wicked fun to look at.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Serf

hmm, i like all these responses.
Lil Jon will try to take 1 textbook out, valued at 150, and see how much he gets for it when he sells it to a used txtbook store.
Lil Jon also read about B&N's security policy, and it is very lenient. As long as the book Jon's about to steal is concealed and no store employee sees Jon putting the book in his bag, store employees are not allowed to search him. The only downside is that if the alarm does go off, that will be the last time Jon will be allowed in that store.
Also, it is unlikely the books wrapped completely in plastic will have a security tag in them. B&N attaches their tags on books that do not have plastic wrapping. Jon is almost certain the wrapping is done in the textbook manufacturing warehouse, and do not include the tag. Jon doesn't think textbook publishers or manufactures have any incentive to add a tag.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Archduke

My B&N have no cameras. There is no textbook section, the textbooks are in the respective sections. They are covered in plastic with a RFID sticker stuck on the plastic. I wrote down a bunch of titles then checked Amazon to see how much each book sells for... less than $20... not worth the hassle.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
My B&N have no cameras. There is no textbook section, the textbooks are in the respective sections. They are covered in plastic with a RFID sticker stuck on the plastic. I wrote down a bunch of titles then checked Amazon to see how much each book sells for... less than $20... not worth the hassle.
You're pretty lucky. Koko's local B&N has lots of cameras, or at least a lotta fake cameras.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
You're pretty lucky. Koko's local B&N has lots of cameras, or at least a lotta fake cameras.
yeah, I hear the Barnes and Noble LP don't fuck around with no bull-shit neither.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville View Post
yeah, I hear the Barnes and Noble LP don't fuck around with no bull-shit neither.
You mean Borders LP? I thought B&N doesn't have LP.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Serf

Quote:
You mean Borders LP? I thought B&N doesn't have LP.
There are a few in my store. There's one at the door and a few that walk around.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Serf

Quote:
There are a few in my store. There's one at the door and a few that walk around.
The B&N near me have no LP and its a very nice one that has a coffee house and children services, best friend works there. Are you sure yours has LP? Anyways, im sure they get ripped all the time. I know, my friend named timmy used to do it all the time. Timmy has made $1000s by going to his local colleges and seeing what textbooks students and where the classes will be held. The say college starts timmy puts a flyer on the few classrooms that says contact him if they want the book 25% cheaper than the school bookstore. There is also a community college that offers brand new textbooks to be sold back for 50% of what the bookstore sells for. My first tip since coming back, feels good
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowz0r View Post
The B&N near me have no LP and its a very nice one that has a coffee house and children services, best friend works there. Are you sure yours has LP? Anyways, im sure they get ripped all the time. I know, my friend named timmy used to do it all the time. Timmy has made $1000s by going to his local colleges and seeing what textbooks students and where the classes will be held. The say college starts timmy puts a flyer on the few classrooms that says contact him if they want the book 25% cheaper than the school bookstore. There is also a community college that offers brand new textbooks to be sold back for 50% of what the bookstore sells for. My first tip since coming back, feels good
Pretty sure they're LP. Guys in suits that walk around or stand right by the entrance with an earpiece, that's them right? And there are cameras all around the place, so it's pretty annoying. Having rfid tags stuck on random pages doesn't help much either.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Serf

Quote:
Having rfid tags stuck on random pages doesn't help much either.
Timmy hasn't lifted from there in a while now. Are you sure they are RFID instead of RF tags?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Louis View Post
The more you do it, the more likely you are to get caught. It's like roulette, or quarters. Every time you win, you increase the chance of losing.
word.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Baron

ITT trolling

B&N doesn't have shit for LP as far as I've ever seen and I hear they have a no chase policy even if they do notice you stealing. As an inexperienced young kidiot I would be at B&N every other week casually stuffing books into the backpack in my lap while reading one, then going across the street to sell them at Half Price Books.

Just, don't stress over it, it's easier than Walmart for fuck sake.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Significantly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Pretty sure they're LP. Guys in suits that walk around or stand right by the entrance with an earpiece, that's them right? And there are cameras all around the place, so it's pretty annoying. Having rfid tags stuck on random pages doesn't help much either.
Weird. In my area, even in high crime areas there's no LP and only cameras at the exit. It's all too easy to lift from there..as a matter of fact I saw on the news last month a story about a ring of lifters who made around $10K from high value (advanced physics, calculus) textbooks from Barnes and Noble and other chain bookstores here. Amazon has a book buyback program, if a person uses multiple accounts and addresses to avert suspicion they'll make a pretty decent pile, if they get the right books. On amazon, the calculus and physics volumes fetch pretty good prices.

Last edited by Tachosomoza; 02-28-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Amazon clarification
Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Archduke

Quote:
Does Timmy's B&N have a textbook section? Are the textbooks always covered in plastic or are some not? Are they sourcetagged inside the plastic?

Mine doesn't a textbook section. I had to look through each section & identified the textbooks that are covered in plastic but there weren't many textbooks at all.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Does Timmy's B&N have a textbook section? Are the textbooks always covered in plastic or are some not? Are they sourcetagged inside the plastic?

Mine doesn't a textbook section. I had to look through each section & identified the textbooks that are covered in plastic but there weren't many textbooks at all.
Most in my area have a section specially for textbooks, the high priced ones are wrapped up, but aren't sourcetagged.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Archduke

Red face Re: Stealing Textbooks from B&N

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachosomoza View Post
Most in my area have a section specially for textbooks, the high priced ones are wrapped up, but aren't sourcetagged.
How do you tell which books are textbooks if they aren't wrapped in plastic?

I'm thinking my B&N doesn't have a textook section b/c it's not a college town (other than community college).
Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 AM

Grin Re: Stealing Textbooks from B&N

Quote:
How do you tell which books are textbooks if they aren't wrapped in plastic?

I'm thinking my B&N doesn't have a textook section b/c it's not a college town (other than community college).
Because there's a big section marker that says textbooks. I live in a town with a lot of good schools though, that may have something to do with it.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachosomoza View Post
Because there's a big section marker that says textbooks. I live in a town with a lot of good schools though, that may have something to do with it.
No, I said my B&N doesn't have a specific textbook section. To clarify further, here is an example: the psychology textbooks would be in the psychology section, the medical textbooks would be in the medical section, etc. If not every textbook is covered in plastic, how would one tell which books were the textbooks & which were regular books?

Last edited by ShadyLady; 02-28-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
No, I said my B&N doesn't have a specific textbook section. To clarify further, here is an example: the physiology textbooks would be in the physiology section, the medical textbooks would be in the medical section, etc. If not every textbook is covered in plastic, how would one tell which books were the textbooks & which were regular books?

I'd think that nonwrapped, hardcover books with more than one author with some sort of title or degree (JD, etc.) would be textbooks.

Last edited by Tachosomoza; 02-28-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Distracted...sorry!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Serf

Quote:
Timmy hasn't lifted from there in a while now. Are you sure they are RFID instead of RF tags?
My bad, they were rf tags. Does anyone know if textbooks are tagged too?

I guess I'm unlucky as far as store security goes. Every other store seems to have none. I'll check again some day.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
My bad, they were rf tags. Does anyone know if textbooks are tagged too?

I guess I'm unlucky as far as store security goes. Every other store seems to have none. I'll check again some day.
Most textbooks aren't sourcetagged, but it would still be good to doublecheck.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Serf

Not that I would know this is just recycled knowledge from another post , but isnt it possible to line your have with aluminum foil or something like it and make your bag a shield to radio signals so when you walk out of a store the tags will not be picked up by the towers.. And i believe when making your bag you can test it without Accually using it by putting a cell phone in it and calling and if the call fails you have a working bag.... This would eliminate the need to find tags in the books

First post
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
vovka351 (12-03-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Peasant

B&N having LP? HA!!
I doubt they even CARE how many books get stolen. For the simple fact that they have the kindle.

I have only ever noticed 1 (possibly 2) cameras at my local B&N.

My friend told me that whenever she lifts at B&N, she checks EVERY page - there's really no other way around skimming through the book. [unless you pinch it, or course, but even then it doesn't always work] My friend also told me that one time she went to a Borders, and she went to her usual blind spot. When she went to shove the tag onto a shelf, she noticed a couple other tags stuck onto the shelves -- looks like other people found her blind spot, lol
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 AM
Serf

The B&N here is also the university one. They have a good amount of security inside the store and outside of the store due to the location. The outside security is city police that just walk around the area. I've had friends that have pocketed smaller university books and left without issues. The only problem here is that after the first week of the quarter, they block off the school books (the ones worth anything) and make you request someone to go get the one you need.

Lab manuals are normally not tagged at all but don't sell for more than $10-15, but it's an easy score. Find a lower level chemistry, physics or biology class and email the entire class list saying you dropped the course and have the lab manual unused.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Serf

I remember a B&N in Las Vegas, it was one of those that had a conjoined starbucks. Don't know whether all of them have some form of coffee shop but anyways, this one had an entrance directly from B&N and an exit out without ANY towers leading into or out of the starbucks whatsoever.

It was a pity that I actually found this out a few days before they began building the towers. That would've been a jackpot if I ever saw one.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Peasant

Do you guys know if they have loss prevention?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankRoll View Post
Do you guys know if they have loss prevention?
Apparently it does:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sec.../9780123725257
Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Serf

All right, Swim just took three books from B&N about 5 minutes ago. The store was pretty damn busy. These books were all fiction. Classics. So they weren't very expensive and probably weren't as likely to have tags.

A few observations:

1) There is LP, at least in Dallas
2) There are domes, these are concentrated toward the rear of the store. Over the kids section.
3) None of the three books Swim took had tags in them. (Although books in the past have had them)
4) The LP wears black.

He got too close to one of the domes and an LP popped up from around the corner. Swim smiled at her and said hi. She just replied with an "Hmmmmm...." and acted like she was reading a damn bible! xD HAHAHAHA!

Swim retreated to the cafe for about 15 minutes and glanced through the books for tags. He returned to an isolated aisle and quickly tossed them into his book bag and left.

Last edited by broghamzvatox; 07-18-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:17 PM
helo

Heart Re: Stealing Textbooks from B&N

My friend city has at least 10 b&n's in her area& has lifted from there for yrs..& has noticed that all books are randomly alarmed so u should always check fastest way conceal ;restroom;(unless they have towers) turn the upside down& fan through it few times usually it will fall out but if not not loosely close it & u may notice atiny differece between the pages cuz the alarm is a tad thicker than most pages.here the alarms have a sticker back & 98% of the time arent stuck on just inserted; has never seen l.p...(even when they had the dvd; c.d. section 4 entetainment purposes)..the workers are ' nt pushy ; they have cam's but the shelves & the fact that alot of books nerds can be seen sittin on the floor reading a book or mag leave a lot of blindspots so lots of options.also my friend has had alarms go off onacouple occasions&just kept on but the workers didnt even look twice.just check all books good cuz those alarm can be sneaky! !! My b&n doesnt hve a sec.dedicared to textbooks but my friend will hsve to √ it out.um..journals( moleskine products) not tagged..another.idk if it helps but if u ssk for book they dont have they can order it..obv.give a fake name..call back a few days later& tell them u found it insert just & apoligize & be polite when it comes in...they will put on the shelf...thats all i have.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Marquis

Go in with a laptop with a pretty good size laptop bag. Then just grab the book or 2 you want, grab about 5 more, walk to a chair, flip through them (looking for tags of course, but not obviously), then when you're all done flipping through, put your laptop away along with the book or 2 and casually walk out. Only question is where the best place to sell them to make maximum profit is.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:45 AM
Mud Farmer

Why not go to your friendly pirate bay or 4shared and look up the text book there? Lots of scanned books. No dealing with LP piggy wannabees or accidentally missing some bs rfid tag. BTW, some of the more expensive books, they put these in the spine!

Put all the college books on a lappy or tablet and good to go. If asked about it by a nosey teacher, claim you scanned all the books so you wouldn't have to cart them all over campus.

Most college text books are overpriced scams to rake in checks for the publishers and already well to do professors with cushy jobs in academia.

Selling a stolen book, any college bookstore during semester if the edition is current - student or not. Ebay and others may be okay, but the market for stuff like this is pretty small and folks only buy these 3 times a year.