This is the forum where you can post ideas, suggestions, and even the occasional query about the forum. All threads will be "moderated" before they will appear, which means that until the mods click "approve," your thread will remain invisible. If a thread is decent, they'll approve it, but threads that are distinctly lacking in quality will not be approved. A few notes on that:
1) Make your case. If you think that your idea is important enough to bring it to our attention, then it should be important enough for you to actually present an argument or case as to why it should be implemented. If your thread's title is "get rid of thanks" and your post simply says "do it, faggot" then your thread isn't going to be approved, discussed, or answered. Similarly, if a thread is poorly worded to the point that it makes no sense, or you post with the expectation that readers will simply "decode" what you meant to say, it may also remain unapproved. Moreover, you can look on vbulletin.org for possible hacks and addons for Zoklet. We use version 3.8.x, so if you want us to use a specific hack, please provide a link.
2) Don't be obnoxious. Making dozens of unserious threads (and then pestering me via PM about "why didn't you approve my 'delete all the forumz' thread?!?") or similar behavior will very likely get you banned from this forum altogether. Flame posts, blatantly off-topic conversation, and fail-trolling are also forbidden. Serious suggestions should be made seriously - if you have a serious suggestion, but your thread is really crappy, it may remain unapproved.
3) Even if after your thread gets approved, and even if it's a genuinely good idea, not every idea can be implemented. Sometimes there are software limitations. Sometimes an extreme amount of hacking or re-coding is required and it's not worth the work for a minor tweak. Sometimes, there are other reasons that we think an idea would not work. We may approve a thread for viewing because we want to see the community reaction to the idea or because it's simply a reasonable and serious suggestion, community/staff support is not a guarantee that an idea will be implemented.
4) De-railing and off-topics posting is not allowed. We welcome conversation on a wide variety of topics, and as long as conversation serves the larger purpose of suggesting and discussing ideas, features, and suggestions for the site, we're usually inclined to let it stay. If a thread is being derailed to the point that it's no longer about serious suggestions for the site, it may be locked, or the offending posts may be removed without warning.
5) Some conversations are "closed," meaning we aren't going to be taking suggestions about them, and other topics are more appropriate to be PMed to an admin rather than posted here. Ban requests, de-modding requests, rep, and various "thanks" type buttons are a few topics that generally don't get approved, but sometimes, making the post in here is a good way to get staff attention on an issue, even if we don't physically approve the thread. Furthermore, once a topic has been either completed/answered/approved.rejected or simply set aside for the time being, it will probably be moved into one of the sub-forums reflecting it's status. We only have the two, so some threads may simply be locked and not moved if they don't fit either.
Last edited by Fish; 08-19-2011 at 11:07 PM.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
1. Checking Thanks
User CP >> your Profile >> Statistics >> "Thanks" (near the bottom)
The top link is to the posts that you write that others thanked, the second is to posts that you thanked. You can check other people's as well, by looking in their profiles >> statistics
2. Why can't I thank people?
You need a post count of 50 before the thanks option becomes available. If you have 50 posts or more and you still don't see the icon in the bottom right corner of a post, you are either out of thanks for the day, or you are in a forum that does not have thanks enabled.
3. Ignoring People
Click person's profile >> "User Lists" (it's directly above "last activity") >> "Add to Ignore List"
You can also manage this list through your own profile: User CP >> "Edit Ignore List" (it's under the Settings & Options pane)
You're allowed to ignore Moderators, but you are still responsible for any warnings (via PM or in-thread) that they give you - if you miss it, "I had him on ignore so I didn't see it" isn't a valid excuse.
4. Spoiler Boxes
[spoiler]your spoiler in here[/spoiler]
5. You Tube tags
We used to have tags for youtube, but a glitch forced us to remove it. For now, you can simply post a link to the video and the forum should automatically turn it into an embedded youtube video. If you wrap it with [url=XXXXX] [/url]tags, "XXXXX" will display as the name of the video.
6. Changing your username
Post the name you want here. Don't post there unless you actually want your name changed.
7. Switching out of mobile view
There is a link at the bottom of the page in mobile mode that reads "revert to default theme" that should take you out of mobile mode.
8. What are the rules for avatars?
The original post is here, but the short answer is that if you're not sure whether your avatar is okay or not, ask someone before uploading it. If your avatar gets removed by a staff member, or if you get asked to change your avatar, you're probably a step away from having the ability to have one at all removed.
9. How do I turn avatars on/off?
Go to your user CP, then go to "Edit Options" (it's under "Settings & Options). Then, look under "Thread Display Options" - it should be one of the three check boxes at the top of that section, along with turning on/off signatures and turning on/off images altogether.
10. How do I get my account/posts deleted?
We don't delete accounts because it creates wacky errors in the forum software. You are able to delete non-OP posts, so you're more than welcome to delete all of those on your own, and getting a name change can help seal the deal on "erasing" an account, but we won't simply lightning-strike your account out of existence or mass-delete your posts for you.
11. What are the usertitles? How many posts do I need for each?
There's Mashleshmash's thread here that goes into great detail about "easter egg" titles and the actual post counts required, but here's a list of standard usertitles:
12. How do I get a smiley/emoticon added?
Adding a smiley is a relatively easy process, so if you have an idea for one you'd like to add, please:
Format it:50x50 pixels (max), clear background.
Include the "tag" that the image will use and make sure that it won't conflict with anything else already in place.
send it to fish, I'd suggest heading it something like "smiley, pls add" or something else equally clear, and reasonably polite.
If it's approved, it will be added. If not, You'll usually get some sort of answer like "we don't need a goatse smiley.")
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":