Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Knight

Default Somewhat good redbox scam!

So today me and my mom walked inside a supermarket and our first stop was a redbox machine when u first walk in. We browsed thru some stuff and she found a movie she liked. I then noticed they had a brand new ps3 game that just came out called resistance 3. It cost 60 dollars and im not willing to pay that right now so i told my mom to rent it as it was being vended out i new something was strange because i could tell the cd in the case was very clear. When i opened it up some1 inserted a blank cd in the case ripped the bar code off resistance 3 and stuck it on the blank cd. We were both like o shit wtf and she immediately called the redbox number after about 45 min of being on the phone the lady gave us 3 free rentals and insured we would not be charged for the game. She also said shes marking it as fraud. My mom and I discussed it and I told her if who ever did this used a stolen credit or debit card they could never be caught but if they used there own there fucked not to mention stupid. I also wondered could some1 get one of those prepaid or reloadable debit cards and used it on the redbox machine. Just wanted to pass this little story along.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Banned

Default Re: Somewhat good redbox scam!

the risk/reward ratio is way off.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Duke Zion (01-03-2013), SteamPunk (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Serf

Did you actually encounter anyone in person?
Do they have cameras on the box?

If not, then can't you order the actual game, remove the barcode place it on a blank cd, then call them up and claim its a fraud. Of course you would probably have to remove the barcode and place it on the disc immediately, they probably keep track of how long the disc is out of their possession.

How could they prove that you did it and not the previous individual?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Knight

If you were using a stolen credit or debit card why bother doing all that shit when you can just keep it? It's not like you'll be worried about late fees or having to pay for it. So why would it be a good idea to do this and risk being caught on camera returning it with a stolen credit card? Not to mention spending time fuckin' 'round with barcodes and stuff. You fail OP, you fail..
Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by love free stuff View Post
When i opened it up some1 inserted a blank cd in the case ripped the bar code off resistance 3 and stuck it on the blank cd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenous View Post
If you were using a stolen credit or debit card why bother doing all that shit when you can just keep it?

Last edited by Larva; 09-11-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenous View Post
If you were using a stolen credit or debit card why bother doing all that shit when you can just keep it? It's not like you'll be worried about late fees or having to pay for it. So why would it be a good idea to do this and risk being caught on camera returning it with a stolen credit card? Not to mention spending time fuckin' 'round with barcodes and stuff. You fail OP, you fail..
I see your point but do u actually think some1 would use there real credit/debit card and do this? That's why the stolen card thing popped in my mind!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Archduke

I'm curious if one can use a pre-paid Visa card at Redbox.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Wealthy Merchant

you probably can, don't have that in Aus, but worst case you chain it to your car and take the whole thing, once me and my mate chained a vending machine with my old ute pretty much because we could, so if there's reward then probably be even better but maybe less fun. I'll get a pic of the thing if I go down to my farm before I forget about this thread.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:11 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
I'm curious if one can use a pre-paid Visa card at Redbox.
you can, but you need to go online and register the card in your name
Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossDog View Post
you can, but you need to go online and register the card in your name
Good deal.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Serf

Yeah, if you have a stolen credit card, just fuck redbox all together, go to Wally World, and buy a reasonable amount of shit(As to not arouse suspicion), and just keep going to store after store after store...

Most you could get out of using a legit credit card is 1 or 2 DVD's. There would be no proof it wasn't you or the guy who just withdrew the movie, so they won't do shit, but you will get a red flag in their system.

Then again, there's The Pirate Bay.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Baron

Yay mud farmer! Take a STOLEN credit card, and go from camera to camera to... ahem I mean store to store to store. Hell go to EVERY store you can. Im sure the cops wouldn't check cameras of all places the card was used or nothin like that
Old 09-19-2011, 03:36 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangRed View Post
Yay mud farmer! Take a STOLEN credit card, and go from camera to camera to... ahem I mean store to store to store. Hell go to EVERY store you can. Im sure the cops wouldn't check cameras of all places the card was used or nothin like that
I lol'd
Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Archduke

There was a video on YouTube that explained how to peel off the sticker that is placed on the CDs.

Does anyone know how to without damaging it?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Archduke

http://www.chacha.com/question/how-c...out-ruining-it

I think this is how he did it. With a lighter and razor blade.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Baron

I'm going to buy a methheads identity and do this
Old 10-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoman View Post
I'm going to become a meth head and do this with my own identity.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Baron

Send a message via AIM to theshadowfax

I've heard/read that Redbox machines have a system in place where the machine will verify that a prepaid card currently has sufficient funds on it to cover the full price, and if it does then it will issue the rental but not if the prepaid card has less funds on it than would be needed for the disc.

I'm broke as shit, but anybody wanna go verify this?

Member of The Noble Zoklet Anti Child Molester Brigade
Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoman View Post
i lol'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTlauien View Post
I'm going to become a meth head and do this with my own identity.
i lololollol'd
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowfax View Post
I've heard/read that Redbox machines have a system in place where the machine will verify that a prepaid card currently has sufficient funds on it to cover the full price, and if it does then it will issue the rental but not if the prepaid card has less funds on it than would be needed for the disc.

I'm broke as shit, but anybody wanna go verify this?
I know for a fact that this isn't true. On top of that, what would the point be?...A person could spend the money after renting the game.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by love free stuff View Post
So today me and my mom walked inside a supermarket and our first stop was a redbox machine when u first walk in. We browsed thru some stuff and she found a movie she liked. I then noticed they had a brand new ps3 game that just came out called resistance 3. It cost 60 dollars and im not willing to pay that right now so i told my mom to rent it as it was being vended out i new something was strange because i could tell the cd in the case was very clear. When i opened it up some1 inserted a blank cd in the case ripped the bar code off resistance 3 and stuck it on the blank cd. We were both like o shit wtf and she immediately called the redbox number after about 45 min of being on the phone the lady gave us 3 free rentals and insured we would not be charged for the game. She also said shes marking it as fraud. My mom and I discussed it and I told her if who ever did this used a stolen credit or debit card they could never be caught but if they used there own there fucked not to mention stupid. I also wondered could some1 get one of those prepaid or reloadable debit cards and used it on the redbox machine. Just wanted to pass this little story along.
If you CALL Redbox and report this type of thing they will probably block your account thinking YOU made up the story about the disk being different from the actual game and that YOU are committing the fraud here by making up a false story to get a free game.

The person who actually commited the fraud will most likely go uncaught because RedBox has no way to prove the game they "returned" was not the real game. As long as that little STICKER is on a disk this is what the RedBox machine scans to tell if the disk has been returned. The person who commits this fraud by switching the sticker will never be caught because RedBox has no way to know WHO along the rental history actually switched the sticker.

Many people might rent the game, see it's not the real game then RETURN it to the RedBox machine right away. Then someone else rents it and does the same. After perhaps 2-3 people rent it, then finally someone might take the time to Call Redbox and report the problem.

It's the people who Call RedBox and report the fraud that will be accused of scamming by "making up false stories" to RedBox. At the very least the person who calls will be on their "Watch List" of possible scam artist.

I bet RedBox now has your account number in a database of "Possible Scam Artist" and if you call them even one more time in the future about anything, your account will be blocked.

This is why you NEVER call in something like this. It's far better to just return the game and keep quiet about it.

Think I'm wrong, then try reporting something suspicious to the Police and watch how fast they start to look at YOU as a suspect.

Last edited by zoklet38; 08-12-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoklet38 View Post
The person who actually commited the fraud will most likely go uncaught because RedBox has no way to prove the game they "returned" was not the real game. As long as that little STICKER is on a disk this is what the RedBox machine scans to tell if the disk has been returned. The person who commits this fraud by switching the sticker will never be caught because RedBox has no way to know WHO along the rental history actually switched the sticker.
They'll link it up if it keeps happening.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Peasant

I've been to 2 redboxes and (visa and mastercard) prepaid cards aren't working. I even tried reserving online and picking it up, still didn't work. My cards didn't have enough $ to cover the entire value of the discs, so idk if that was a factor.

Everything online is saying they work, has it worked for ANYONE?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Serf

that is happening because it is a Prepaid . They can tell the difference. For some reason they consider them a risk
Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 AM
Mud Farmer

So here is the deal guys. If you really want to remove the stickers from a redbox movie without destroying the sticker tab. For purity sake we will just say that you are removing the sticker from your used redbox "PURCHASE".

For this excersize you will need packing tape, razor blade or exacto knife, hair dryer, and allot of patience.

Steps:

1. Remove disc from redbox case.
2. Using a hair dryer heat up the surface of the game disc and rub the sticker with medium pressure from your fingernail to get up all the sticky stuff on the back side of the sticker and get it to form back into the sticker itself.
3. Need to have the packing tape ready. (do not heat the packing tape). Place a strip of packaging over the top center portion of the disc and smooth out with a credit card or other flat thin device.
4. Carefully peel back the packaging tape until you reach the beginning edge of the sticker. Now you have to start the sticker so that it starts pulling away from the disc. Use the razor blade to get it started. Once started keep rocking back and forth with the tape until you get enough of it started to keep peeling forward.
5. You may need to heat up the sticker and tape layers again to keep the peeling process in motion. With a steady hand and some patience you will see the undamaged removal of the circular sticker.

6. Once the sticker and packaging tape (all together) has been removed from the disc, place it on a different disc in the exact same spot and smooth out firmly or just throw away. If you opted to put it on another disc then please go to step 7.
7. Using razor or utility knife cut out the center piece of tape where the CD's center is. Then cut a circle around the outside of the white sticker and remove excess tape.
8. Presto you are done.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 AM
Mud Farmer

prepaid credit cards do not work at redbox. This is because there is no way for them to associate the credit card with an individual should there be cause for chargebacks or further charges due to loss or damage. In other words they need a debit or credit card that is going to be active and chargeable in the near future for such claims.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Wealthy Merchant

I've heard from a source that greendot prepaids work at redbox. but with everyone here saying prepaids don't work, own if its even worth trying.

[SIZE="1"]Posted from Zoklet.net App for Android[/SIZE]
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXdriver View Post
So here is the deal guys. If you really want to remove the stickers from a redbox movie without destroying the sticker tab. For purity sake we will just say that you are removing the sticker from your used redbox "PURCHASE".

For this excersize you will need packing tape, razor blade or exacto knife, hair dryer, and allot of patience.

Steps:

1. Remove disc from redbox case.
2. Using a hair dryer heat up the surface of the game disc and rub the sticker with medium pressure from your fingernail to get up all the sticky stuff on the back side of the sticker and get it to form back into the sticker itself.
3. Need to have the packing tape ready. (do not heat the packing tape). Place a strip of packaging over the top center portion of the disc and smooth out with a credit card or other flat thin device.
4. Carefully peel back the packaging tape until you reach the beginning edge of the sticker. Now you have to start the sticker so that it starts pulling away from the disc. Use the razor blade to get it started. Once started keep rocking back and forth with the tape until you get enough of it started to keep peeling forward.
5. You may need to heat up the sticker and tape layers again to keep the peeling process in motion. With a steady hand and some patience you will see the undamaged removal of the circular sticker.

6. Once the sticker and packaging tape (all together) has been removed from the disc, place it on a different disc in the exact same spot and smooth out firmly or just throw away. If you opted to put it on another disc then please go to step 7.
7. Using razor or utility knife cut out the center piece of tape where the CD's center is. Then cut a circle around the outside of the white sticker and remove excess tape.
8. Presto you are done.
not really worth doing

i know its super unlikely you ever got caught, but they have all of your personal information, and you on camera returning those blank cds. plus to make any real money you would have to do this thousands of times at EVERY local location. redboxes barely have anything in stock, and you can only have iirc 2 rentals out at a time.

if it worked with prepaids, it would be completely worth it.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Serf

This is utterly stupid. Don't even get me started on how unfeasible it is to successfully card but then to fuck all and just use it on a $60 video game, but if somehow instead you got a prepaid card to work you still have to register to activate it and I know all prepaid sites use a method of identity verification which you can bypass if you had the willpower and resources but is definitely not worth it.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 AM
PROOTS

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,528 Posts

This could work, but like other have already stated, at the very best they have you on camera. At the very worst, they have you on camera along with all of your personal information. Not only that, it seems like a lot of work to go through for just one lousy movie.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Peasant

If you're looking at resale, the video game is not going to have the box, and is gonna have the Redbox tag on it. You MIGHT, at best, net $20-30 on a just-released game. Do it two or three times, max.

1hr of time swapping discs/registering prepaids/driving, plus time at the Redbox, for $30 max?

Instead, grab a $20 hair styling item, return it. Use a friend's printer and print out a barcode the same size as a ~$100 item (see barcoding). Use instore credit to purchase this item. Sell on CL, use $100 to buy a $40 printer, $10 paper, and repeat.

Go from $0-5000 in two days, for the industrious individual.

Or continue fucking with a system that EXCLUSIVELY DEALS WITH EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DISCUSSING.

... but, really, the concern I hear the most is, "they have you on camera." Really, that's not even this huge concern unless you're going to the same stop over and over or using your legitimate information.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88+6 View Post
If you're looking at resale, the video game is not going to have the box, and is gonna have the Redbox tag on it. You MIGHT, at best, net $20-30 on a just-released game. Do it two or three times, max.

1hr of time swapping discs/registering prepaids/driving, plus time at the Redbox, for $30 max?

Instead, grab a $20 hair styling item, return it. Use a friend's printer and print out a barcode the same size as a ~$100 item (see barcoding). Use instore credit to purchase this item. Sell on CL, use $100 to buy a $40 printer, $10 paper, and repeat.

Go from $0-5000 in two days, for the industrious individual.

Or continue fucking with a system that EXCLUSIVELY DEALS WITH EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DISCUSSING.

... but, really, the concern I hear the most is, "they have you on camera." Really, that's not even this huge concern unless you're going to the same stop over and over or using your legitimate information.
what?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Peasant

TL/DR; barcode (see barcoding thread) instead of wasting time on this bs.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Knight

What about a pre-paid visa card?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Peasant

^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXdriver View Post
prepaid credit cards do not work at redbox. This is because there is no way for them to associate the credit card with an individual should there be cause for chargebacks or further charges due to loss or damage. In other words they need a debit or credit card that is going to be active and chargeable in the near future for such claims.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Mud Farmer

a pre paid green dot card does work everyday just need enough money to rent it like 20 dollars
Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
asperations

Anyone else confirm greendot? My friend has one in someone else's. name by knowing his ssn and everything else .so how much Can he make off that
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by south28
a pre paid green dot card does work everyday just need enough money to rent it like 20 dollars
that's what I have heard just wasn't too sure

[SIZE="1"]Posted from Zoklet.net App for Android[/SIZE]
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Knight

Forget about the movies. Most of them coming out of the redbox are the crap
"rental" copies. Games? Maybe.