Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Peasant

Question Breaking into ATM Machines

So I am trying to write a thesis paper for Forensics. Is it possible to break into an ATM normally with only a lockpick and fingers?

Somehow the first part would be acquiring a key, but what about the vault? Do other commercial ATM machines have the combination within the system memory and changing it or indexing it requires a password, or is it a physical combination?

Last edited by Frosty; 10-21-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Knight

Default Re: Breaking into ATM Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
So I am trying to write a thesis paper for Forensics. Is it possible to break into an ATM normally with only a lockpick and fingers?
if you need to ask, the answer is no. It's possible, but not to the kind of retarded criminal that thinks you operate a lock with one pick... and one who can't be fucked to look at the locks himself. That individual should instead go ahead and kill themselves.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,600 Posts

See how thin that door is? I'll bet you I could crack it with a medium-sized pickaxe and a sledge.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Knight

Good luck being able to drag that thing into your van/truck....if it isnt bolted to the floor that is.

Id do more research if I were you, the value of the ATM probably exceeds the amount of cash(2K Im guessing) thats kept inside if its on of those gas station ones, seems like(atleast here) theyre always updating them and changing older ones out with the latest and greatest model. Hopefully theres no GPS tracking stuff like lojack.

I have no idea, but if black and mexican thugs can figure it out, then you can too. Youd probably need some tools like a crowbar, angle grinder, drill, axe or sledgehammer Im guessing. Again I have no idea, but best of luck.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

If there's only 2K in there, I'll be a granny's uncle. Two thousand dollars wouldn't last a single hour of withdraws. Try about $20,000-$50,000 in each one when it's full.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Significantly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,745 Posts

I imagine the amount would vary by the location of the ATM. One at a busy shopping center in a major metropolitan area would have more cash inside than one at a sleepy convenience store in the middle of Indiana.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM
ysr2096

This may come as a surprise, but not all ATMs are the same. If you want to do this, look up the specific model you would target on google patents. Or you might want to just skip that step and set your sights lower. I'm only guessing, but I doubt you (or anyone, practically) would be able to pick an ATM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr2096 View Post
I'm only guessing, but I doubt you (or anyone, practically) would be able to pick an ATM.
retards like him who can't look at the lock, yes probably...
Old 10-23-2011, 03:24 AM
Banned

Hypothetically speaking, I'd drill a one inch hole in it with a carbide bit, insert a quarter stick of dynamite in there and light the fuse. The cash is in several boxes, so you'd be bound to find one of them laying around somewhere after that.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:25 AM

It looks like each box is a mini safe.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachosomoza View Post
It looks like each box is a mini safe.
That's true. And they have Medco locks on them, too. That's why you could probably blow up the exterior and just grab the boxes... open them when you get home with them somehow.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 AM

There'd have to be a pretty penny in there for me to want to play with things that go boom.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachosomoza View Post
There'd have to be a pretty penny in there for me to want to play with things that go boom.
If you stood around for a few days and waited for them to load it up and hit it an hour after that, you'd be bound to score at least $20,000.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SpectraL View Post
That's true. And they have Medco locks on them, too. That's why you could probably blow up the exterior and just grab the boxes... open them when you get home with them somehow.
Shit guys, I need to spend an extra $2 when I buy drill bits. and TWO WHOLE DRILL POINTS? OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE. actually they're probably the camlock type anyway, so one drill point on the side.

...I just don't understand why people make such a big deal of medeco locks, they're not that great.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Wealthy Merchant

ANFO, itz.

Robbers in south africa are known (some security videos can be found here and there) to blast them open with TNT.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

Somehow the first part would be acquiring a key, but what about the vault? Do other commercial ATM machines have the combination within the system memory and changing it or indexing it requires a password, or is it a physical combination?
go to a hard ware store or were ever sell safes and look at those safe what are in 1000-3000 dollar ones those are slimar to the ones what are on most atms if u can get it open then u can get a atm open(probly)
the biggest weak spot in the safe is were the money comes out (with older atms u can put your hand down and grab money out that way, a kid at school did it until he got caught, u might be able to steal it that way)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vovka351 View Post
.. .I just don't understand why people make such a big deal of medeco locks, they're not that great.
Could be because their locks are made out of almost indestructible materials and can't be picked.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

I should clarify... the smaller, cheaper Medeco locks can be picked, but not the top of the line ones the banks use.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Knight

Quote:
I should clarify... the smaller, cheaper Medeco locks can be picked, but not the top of the line ones the banks use.
uh, they only have a few series. The only truly pick-proof ones are the electronic series.

The cam locks, biaxials, classics, etc, even with arx pins, are still quite possible to manipulate open. A hybrid attack exists which is partly destructive that will open most medeco locks in under a minute. They are not made out of indestructable materials, just good brass and some hardened steel inserts, which you need an appropriate drill bit to go through.

Nothing is really unpickable.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 AM
yodii77

So this is for a class in forensics huh?? Cute. Well lets start out with the basics. This is all the ground work before you ever got to opening the safety deposit components of the ATM. Every endeavor in life should start with ILLLL. Idea, Learning, Logistics, and Lab work. So you have an idea, knocking over a ATM. And why not, I mean 5-30000 dollars are just sitting there!!!! An inch of steel is all that separates you from a golden payday... Mmm mojitos in the Bahamas, or a few weeks of every day at the strip club, or of course you could give all to sick and dying kids... You're in! Next comes learning. So now you need to hit the books and get some info on ATM's. I mean there are thousands of models, so learning about models that have known flaws and finding unapparent flaws in certain models will give you an edge when selecting you're specific ATM. Read crime beats and find out how others who have attempted this hiest have failed.
One thing that has only been glossed over in previous posts is the fact ATM's are hooked into a private banking network that monitors a myriad of sensors ranging from accelerometers to sensor that let private security firms know if doors are being opened or tampered with. Given that all maintenance scheduled or emergency is coordinated through private security firms, it is highly unlikely you will have time enough to sit and try and "crack" the safe at the location of the ATM. Also many ATM's have passive security such as explosive dye packs, lo-jack tracking, and excruciatingly loud alarms that have their own back up power system and that sound as soon as any tampering has begun(which would be the second you moved the thing).
So now you need to scout a location. It is impractical to open up the ATM on site. Your going to have to take it somewhere you can work uninterrupted. You need to find a ATM in a prime location. It should be reasonably far away from police substations and regular patrol routes. Such soft spot exist but you gonna have to steak them out for yourselves (that means you have to find a spot and sit and patiently observe how many police cruisers drive by over the course of the approximate time of say and night in which you wish to attempt your heist FOR MANY DAYS).
You need to know: is this going to be a soft location, meaning unattended, or a hard location, meaning somebody will be in the establishment. That piece of info can dramatically change the dynamics of your planning. Logistics refers to the actual planing stage. How many will participate, who does what, where, and when. A good plan is only as complicated as it needs to be! Overburdening yourself in details is a quick way to overlook important aspects of your heist. But not thinking things through clearly enough will lead to misfortune. Always walk through your plan several times with your crew. Especially if this is your first time together. Personally i'd find a soft location that contained a alley way loading zone and that egressed easily onto a major thoroughfare. It would be prudent to have a route scouted for the drive home. highway are quickest, and quickest is often best. The location would need to be a bit off the beaten path. Laundry mats often contain ATM's, and depending on the day and time are reasonably unattended for example. I'd gauge the size and weight of the ATM or have found the specifications and would assign 1 stout man per 250 pounds. Dolleys and magic pads work wonders for moving massive objects!! I'm guessing you'd need 3 movers. You need at least 1 scout a ways a way watching inconspicuously for constabulary. More than likely 2 scouts, one east- west, and one north -south both with phones to tell you what's what. And you need a driver, though one of the movers can double. That would be a optimal crew for getting away clean, 6 guys. Bare minimum, you need 3 guys. One scout with radar and scanners to watch your 6, 2 movers with one doubling as a driver. Any less and you might be sharing showers as apposed to profits. You need to make a detailed list of all things you need. Ski masks, Dolleys, power tools, hand tools, a van, radar, police scanner, and a private location are the bare minimum necessary to pull this off without a gigantic risk of apprehension. Oh there is still a risk! These will simply decrease it. Lab work I simple to explain. You prepare, test, and layout all tools and workspaces. If you needed to make a sophisticated circuit to circumvent a security system, you do it know. Hopefully for a job as lowbrow as this you wouldn't need to get too too technical. So ok. You pulled it off. It's just you, your buddies, and your oh so sexy ATM. How do yo get the damn thing open? Here is where a lil basic engineering knowledge can take you a long way. Having specs on the machine would be fantastic. I'd keep a few large degaussing strips along several section it ensure that any lo-jack signal was disrupted (that needs to be done in the van as you escape and evade law enforcement!) they're are easy to make. Some batteries, magnets, resisters and speaker wires I believe though I'd check obviously. Crowbar swill get the superfluous hardware out of the way. Any safe made from a material that can be drilled is crap. I am guessing to keep the machines cost effective they would be just one or two steps above that cheap grade. I mean the main theft deterrent is the size of the machines and the active security( networked security measures). Excuse my language but fuck fiddling around with it, just use brute force. If you can drill one hole you can drill 100
xxxxxxx
x x
x x
xxxxxxx
Get the picture? To do this you need to know a couple things. First the compressive stress per square inch on the panel you are drilling. You are going to need to covert this to what could be described as point stress.
Stress=(force applied)/(cross sectional area)
Or
S=F/A
Point stress can be found by assuming uniform materials have proportional stress performance within relatively small changes in area, what we need to know is F the force applied.
*even though I use a equal sign this is only approximate
Fn=force (needed to be) applied
sA= smaller area
S=stress=F/A

S=Fn/sA =>Fn=(sA)S
It is best to make a table with one column representing the area creates by the head your drill bits. That area can be found
Using this formula 3.14(radius^2). Drill bits are given in diameter, so r=d/2 or A=(3.14)(D^2/4)
The second column would then be Fn, I'd also convert to metric but so long as you are consistent with your units it should be fine.
So our table would look like

sA | Fn
---------------------------------
0.055 in^2 | 20*10^3 lbs
0.aaa in^2. | aa*10^a lbs
.................... | ..................
.....................|....................

We need to know this force so we can get an idea of the power we need for our drill, and the load strength we need for our bit. We can also get a idea for what type of work area equipment we should have. It also tells us how hard we need to push while drilling so should we be standing? should we use a position that capitalizes on body weight, or do we need a mounted drill?
Mechanical Power in it simplest form is the change in work. Work is force applied over distance, and I'm gonna simplify this down a ton. The number you need as your guide is P= Fn*T
P= power, T=thickness of your plate.( but wait power has a unit of watts which has a component of time! Where is the time???!! Well that is comes from an alternative but equivalent form of the power equation! So don't go getting your panties in a twist!)With these estimates which you should have done in your logistics stage you can choose drill bits that have the correct load bearing properties, and drills that have the proper power to suite your needs. Remember a drills power is often given in horsepower. So 1 horsepower=746 watts. I always suggest mounted equipment with mechanical levers for the application of force. If you wanna get a feel for how long it will take to drill along the edges measure length and width of your drill pattern( most likely the panel edge). N= number of hole=[2 (L+w)]\d
Where d=drill bit diameter.
T=time it takes to drill one hole.
Approximate total time=NT
That is unnecessary but if you have a nagging crew member who keeps asking "are we there yet?" It may come in handy. Once you get the panel off next comes dismantling the innards . If you have got to this point you can figure the rest out. My suggestion, again brute force. Sledge hammers, Crowbars, and coronas. In closing I'd like to point a few things out. To do this job I'd put in at least 200 hours of work! The max amount of cash for an out of the way ATM is gonna be like $15000. With a 3 man crew that is maybe $5000 a piece. Working a square job at Walmart for $12/hour you could make about $2000 after taxes. So is your life, or imprisonment for a substantial portion of your life worth $3000? I say hahahhahahhaha fuck no! Now if you were slick enough to plan a series then values increases and approaches something more attractive. This goes back to the learning stage, there you might find a type of ATM that has a ton of flaws and ha a great deal of locations. Plan a series though, don't do a single job then start over, plan 3 or 4 for a period of 7-14 days or so then move onto the next idea. Honestly though, it's corny but so true, for most people crime doesn't pay as well as a square job and the risks involved are way greater. Go work on a oil rig, or join the marines, or go to college. of course you are already in college to be a CSI haha
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
TheOneWhoKnocks (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
WarCry (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Wealthy Merchant

^ that last idea was ridiculous hahaha
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Banned

Arrow Re: Breaking into ATM Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
^ that last idea was ridiculous hahaha
I like how the idiot forgot to open the back hatch release and had to go back and lean in the passenger window to get at the switch because his idiot friend driving had no idea where it was. Stolen car probably.. not familiar with its controls.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,132 Posts

Man those were fucking hilarious.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

That first guy used a buzz saw with a carbide or diamond coated blade on it.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Why not make it easy and quick with thermite and superglue? Glue the thermite in a circular or rectangular fashion on the atm, melt the steel and just take the money. Hypothetically, this would mean you could be in and out under 2 minutes. The only problem might be burning the money, but I am sure that could be worked out. Hauling the atm opens up a pandora's box of other problems, such as blocking the GPS tracking, turning off a blaring alarm and lifting the damn thing/escaping in a car.

With the thermite, the job could be done by one person on foot or bicycle, greatly increasing the chances of escape and increasing profit.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. Just a fun topic to talk about.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Serf

Did this remind anyone else of the Breaking Bad episode
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Mud Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
that thermite episode is still up there with one of my favorites, gives me so many idea's lol. Ones that would actually work though ? well... yeh ha
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

two words: plasma cutter
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Count

Quote:
If there's only 2K in there, I'll be a granny's uncle. Two thousand dollars wouldn't last a single hour of withdraws. Try about $20,000-$50,000 in each one when it's full.
I agree I often see people in my town withdrawing hundreds daily. I myself on some occasion have withdrawn 1000 dollars in one day. Never once have I seen it run out of money.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
the one where that bitch crushes the junkie's head with the ATM?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Baron

I've often fantasised about stealing a 4x4, hooking a chain to the back and bursting an ATM out of a shop window/door.

You'd figure it'd be a fairly easy activity to get away with, actually. If you were to take it to a farm or empty warehouse or something, you could just crack it open and get your loot.

I can only assume that because of the simplicity (but boldness) of the crime, ATM's would have GPS in them??? ATM companies would be idiots to not put such a thing.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned

All ATMs now have GPS tracking installed inside them on a dedicated battery-power source. A person would be a complete fool to try and take the entire machine these days unless they have fool-proof method of either scrambling or interfering with the signal.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Baron

Quote:
All ATMs now have GPS tracking installed inside them on a dedicated battery-power source. A person would be a complete fool to try and take the entire machine these days unless they have fool-proof method of either scrambling or interfering with the signal.
This leads me to another fantasy of owning (legitimately, but most likely under a false identity) a semi truck and trailer.

The trailer would be fitted like a large faraday cage.

The possibilities for something like that would be endless....You could test drive cars and just drive them into your trailer and be gone. All you need to test drive a car is to let them see your driver's license, so just have a good fake.
rocksolid68 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Peasant

^ this concept is quite appealing. Getting the cars to test drive has always been the easy part of the equation.

You can purchase a faraday "tent" for a reasonable price that would easily encapsulate a vehicle completely.

Of course the connection to unload hypothetical borrowed cars for $$....

Last edited by rocksolid68; 10-18-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolid68 View Post
...Of course the connection to unload hypothetical borrowed cars for $$....
You'd break it down and sell it part by part.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Peasant

Now you got me thinking...Bad Ideas...
Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Baron

Quote:
You'd break it down and sell it part by part.
I'd keep a nice one for other Bad Ideas.

You can dress nice, in a nice shiny car. Go with a friend or relative to test drive a car that someone is selling privately.

They'd probably want me to give a car key in order to have us both drive off, so I'd hand them a random key/fake key that doesn't work with the car we brought.

Take their car, and the car we brought.

----

That'd be a nice change-up from taking cars from lots
Old 10-18-2012, 03:12 AM
Banned

How Plasma Cutting Works I - YouTube

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Plasma-Cutters-/166672/i.html
Old 10-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Baron

Gotta be careful as fuck with plasma cutters. Those things are wicked.

That being said, it's an applicable tool for at least half of the shit posted in BI.