Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Serf

Default How to fool facial recognition software

My friend has an idea about how he could cash out his fake Paypal accounts by buying stuff on Walmart.com and then using the in store pickup to get his items. Obviously, fake ID, VPN, prepaid cell etc. would be used as well. As far as I can tell, the only way he could get caught is if Paypal somehow subpoened the surveillance tapes from Walmart and identified the true identity of the person making the pickup. So a couple questions:
1. How long does Walmart keep surveillance tapes? If Paypal came knocking, it wouldn't be until a few months past the transaction date
2. Obviously Walmart uses facial recognition software to thwart shoplifters, would a baseball hat and fake glasses be enough to fool the cameras? My friend doesn't have a record, but has made a couple of purchases at Walmart over the past few months with his real credit card, so if they could somehow match up those two videos they would be able to find out who he was.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Serf

Default Re: How to fool facial recognition software

A large Walmart could easily have anywhere from forty to well over a hundred cameras both fixed and movable. But how many would be deemed fake?

I always viewed Security Cameras were more or less to keep tabs on their own employees so major theft doesn't occur as they operate the till. Best to avoid Loss Prevention Officers as they are the ones that catch most people out.

I assume they would keep tapes varying for 6 - 24months depending on the store.
Hmm, how about a wig? even better wear prosthetics? Why not try a different Walmart you don't vist?

Paypal wouldn't know Jack shit unless the Account/Card Holder or Bank flags it as a suspicious transaction.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledjic View Post
A large Walmart could easily have anywhere from forty to well over a hundred cameras both fixed and movable. But how many would be deemed fake?

I always viewed Security Cameras were more or less to keep tabs on their own employees so major theft doesn't occur as they operate the till. Best to avoid Loss Prevention Officers as they are the ones that catch most people out.

I assume they would keep tapes varying for 6 - 24months depending on the store.
Hmm, how about a wig? even better wear prosthetics? Why not try a different Walmart you don't vist?

Paypal wouldn't know Jack shit unless the Account/Card Holder or Bank flags it as a suspicious transaction.
That's the problem, from what I understand walmart has one of the most advanced security systems in place of any retail establishment. I've heard of people who got caught shoplifting there and were banned from the store. Then they tried to go back to a different store a couple years later, just to make a purchase mind you, and were arrested on the spot for criminal trespassing because the facial recognition software recognized them. I know that paypal doesn't usually do shit about this kind of thing, normally they just sell the accounts with a negative balance to a collection agency. And since the info on the accounts is fake, they'll never find you. However, my friend is planning on hitting up 10 to 15 different walmart stores in a weekend, cashing out different paypal accounts with 400 to 500 each, then laying low for a while. He just wanted to cover his bases in case anytime starts snooping around.

Last edited by fastfire667; 11-19-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfire667 View Post
would a baseball hat and fake glasses be enough to fool the cameras?
Maybe. Could also grow a beard. Can use latex to alter your face some then cover up with makeup. That requires so skill, of course. I remember a thread about that from awhile ago.

Edit: Found the thread! http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=115894

Last edited by ShadyLady; 11-19-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Count

Injure your mouth in some way that your cheeks puff up considerably. That will confuse the software. Also wear the large sunglasses so the nose and eye contours are obscured.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
Maybe. Could also grow a beard. Can use latex to alter your face some then cover up with makeup. That requires so skill, of course. I remember a thread about that from awhile ago.

Edit: Found the thread! http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=115894
Thanks shady, exactly the kind of info I was looking for!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM
foul BLTC frog

nose and ears

ears and nose

mix them up

nobody knows
Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLISTER GUY View Post
Also wear the large sunglasses so the nose and eye contours are obscured.
That's terrible advice. Someone wearing sunglasses inside would look sketchy as fuck, would draw unwanted attention & wouldn't fool facial recognition software.

Last edited by ShadyLady; 11-19-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: clarification
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Tachosomoza (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Selfish Cunt

Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,598 Posts

Quote:
That's terrible advice. Someone wearing sunglasses inside would look sketchy as fuck & would draw unwanted attention.
sunglasses doesn't fool facial recognition software. i'll find something i saw a few weeks ago tho. coming up...
Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Selfish Cunt

Quote:
Now that facial recognition software is being implemented in more and more security systems worldwide, in such places as airport security lines, law enforcement agencies, and the Superbowl, it’s obviously time for the average forward thinking person to consider when and where this technology will be used to create an Orwellian police state.

Or, when it will inevitably be used to target advertising, keep tabs on consumers, and otherwise just be really annoying. Graduate student Adam Harvey has devoted his master’s thesis to finding ways to trick facial recognition into false negatives as stylishly as possible, using makeup and hair.

Says The Register:

“There’s a lot of trial and error,” Harvey said. “The common thread is throwing off the symmetry” the algorithm looks for. “It’s a lot more difficult than applying a bunch of makeup and hoping it works or putting on your 3D glasses left over from Avatar…”

…the point of his project from the beginning has been to create disguises that do more than simply hide a person’s face.

“The combination of hair, makeup and accessories gives you the potential to do an infinite number of creative new looks that have some futuristic value to them with anti-face-detection functionality,” he said. “Maybe you could go to a privacy hair stylist in the future.”

I think I speak for the entire cyber-punk fandom when I say BRING IT ON. I can’t wait for the day when tech savvy, hip young things walk around like it’s Blade Runner or Transmetropolitan.

Some of Harvey’s working designs are pictured at the top of this article.

http://www.geekosystem.com/anti-facial-recognition/
if they question why your wearing bizarre makeup tell them you like ICP
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by is all mememememe with me View Post
sunglasses doesn't fool facial recognition software. i'll find something i saw a few weeks ago tho. coming up...
Well, yes I know that but it appears Hollister Guy doesn't. I'll edit my previous post to clarify.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Selfish Cunt

Quote:
Well, yes I know that but it appears Hollister Guy doesn't. I'll edit my previous post to clarify.
yeah sorry i meant is as a confirmation to your post.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by is all mememememe with me View Post
yeah sorry i meant is as a confirmation to your post.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Count

Quote:
That's terrible advice. Someone wearing sunglasses inside would look sketchy as fuck, would draw unwanted attention & wouldn't fool facial recognition software.
It wouldn't look sketchy as fuck if you went with a seeing-eye dog and pretended to be a blind person.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLISTER GUY View Post
It wouldn't look sketchy as fuck if you went with a seeing-eye dog and pretended to be a blind person.
That would draw a lot of attention. EVERYONE stares at those people.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Knight

There such a thing as being too cautious...
Old 11-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by INEEDMONEY View Post
There such a thing as being too cautious...
When jail time is concerned, I don't believe there is...
Old 11-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfire667 View Post
When jail time is concerned, I don't believe there is...
This. My friend is super cautious, bordering on extreme paranoia & she has never so much as been accused of committing a crime despite doing illegal things on a very regular basis.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Significantly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,744 Posts

There is no such thing as being too cautious, especially if you don't plan on making a career out of crime. A student/unemployed person who lifts or commits cons to make ends meet can't afford a record, because it slams all those doors shut, for the most part. You will get thrown out of school and lose all chances of getting good employment in the future if they see you have a record as a thief or fraudster.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,482 Posts

Wear a wig that's a different colour to your natural hair colour, and grow a beard if you usually don't have one, or shave it off if you usually have one. Put on make up to make yourself look lighter or darker. Wear contacts or glasses just incase. Only losers like Tacho get caught and go to prison.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Significantly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,744 Posts

That was unnecessary.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Archduke

My friend likes to look as ordinary as possible to blend in. Nothing about her sticks out. She only wears darker colors when committing crimes... dark blue, gray or black. Her clothes are classic & in style but not overly trendy. Jacket is always back. Purse is always black but she doesn't always carry one. Minimal makeup. No flashy accessories. When she's particularly worried about being on cam in a particular location, she wears a baseball cap. When she's super paranoid about being on cam in a particular location, she wears a baseball cap & fake glasses.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Use a different store.. Walmart isn't the only place that allows you to pick up in-store. Theres plenty more ; lids for example. A few hundred in fitted hats (Regular Cool Base Yankee fitteds) will move quick on ebay for example. But I'd suggest avoiding the entire issue by not using a Walmart, and try for a less- secure place.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossDog View Post
Use a different store.. Walmart isn't the only place that allows you to pick up in-store. Theres plenty more ; lids for example. A few hundred in fitted hats (Regular Cool Base Yankee fitted) will move quick on ebay for example. But I'd suggest avoiding the entire issue by not using a Walmart, and try for a less- secure place.
Yea, I was kind of starting to think along the same kind of lines. However, the reason I like Walmart is because when you buy something online using a Paypal balance, when you go to pick it up they print a receipt showing you paid in cash. This makes it super easy to return the iPod/laptop etc. for cash. My friend would like to find another store where you can easily return items purchased with a Paypal balance for cash. As far as he knows, a lot of stores only refund to the original payment source (aka they would just put the money right back on the Paypal account). He would rather avoid buying items and reselling them, because that would defeat the purpose of his operation. He has the funds in his Paypal accounts, he is just looking for an easy and anonymous way to turn those funds into cash.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Selfish Cunt

if your really paranoid of facial recognition then cover part of your face with some kind of dressing or bandage. people may notice and look in passing but they wont take too much notice as long as they see no weird disfigurement(which they wont). they'll just think you've been in an accident is all. have a cover story in case someone like the store clerk was to ask, like you fell thru a window or something, or you just had an eye operation. even if the worst came and the cops interviewed people they are most likely gonna be unable to remember anything but the bandages. i doubt they could give a better discription than they had on the cctv anyway. and people who have been injured still need to do shopping right? in fact most people have a built in conception that disabled and injured people don't go round committing crime, and more than that, most feel a need to be overtly helpful as such. so it could work in your favor.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,482 Posts

I'm gonna start shoplifting in a wheelchair.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Selfish Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily View Post
I'm gonna start shoplifting in a wheelchair.
i bet you wouldn't be likely to get stop searched on street by cops in a wheelchair. would be a great idea for drug couriers.