Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Better Living Through Chemistry

Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
holier than thou

Default Question about a scale.

Quick question. I bought a scale online which is supposedly accurate to the 100th of a gram to measure out piracetam. The scale did not come with weights, and I'd like to see if its as accurate as advertised. I weighted out a nickel, which came out to 4.95 grams. Do nickels have varied weights? Is there a precise way I can test this scale without spending any money?

Thanks for your expertise.
A monk asked Tozan, "How can we escape the cold and heat?" Tozan replied, "Why not go where there is no cold and heat?" "Is there such a place?" the monk asked. Tozan commented, "When cold, be thoroughly cold; when hot, be hot through and through.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Marquis

Default Re: Question about a scale.

yeah nickles have vairied weights and most mg scales are accurate to half a mg... so you should be fine lol... but why the mg scale for pireacetam... that's a little overkill
Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 PM
holier than thou

Thanks for the response. Is there another way to test the accuracy of the scale to the 100th of a gram?

25 bucks isn't overkill for a .01 scale if its precise.
A monk asked Tozan, "How can we escape the cold and heat?" Tozan replied, "Why not go where there is no cold and heat?" "Is there such a place?" the monk asked. Tozan commented, "When cold, be thoroughly cold; when hot, be hot through and through.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Wealthy Merchant

If you are talking about a US nickel, US nickels weigh exactly 5 grams, they are not varied weights. I used to use a nickel to calibrate my gram scale all the time. Not only are there a bunch of references that come up in a web search to prove this fact, I have personally seen about a hundred different nickels weigh in at 5.0 grams exactly on my gram scale. You can buy calibration weights for varying prices but there is no cheaper option than a US nickel.

You seem to be confusing scale accuracy with scale readability. A scale is only accurate to its second to last digit, it is readable to the last digit. Every instrument you measure with comes with an associated propagated error. This is a number used to symbolize the uncertainty in measurement due to error that can occur while measuring. The manual for your scale should have included this information, as an example it could be (+/- 0.01 g). This means that if something reads 0.13 g on your scale, due to the propagated error it could be anywhere in the range of 0.12 g-0.14 g.

But as I said, your scale is not accurate to 0.01 g, it only reads to that place. Look up the +/- value in your scale manual and apply it like I just did in the example above. Judging from your nickel results, it's probably (+/- 0.05 g). Which really aint bad dude. I know barely anything about piracetam, but I know the doses are quite high, from 800-1000 mg at once. A 0.05 g (50 mg) discrepancy in your dose is not really going to be an issue. I'm fairly sure many people use gram scales that only go to 0.1 for piracetam with no problems.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Ethan (01-10-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Marquis

have any newer models came out what's a good price these days i gave mine away cause i didn't want to deal with magic powder anymore it made me feel way too good and people thought i was manic but i was super chill on the inside gosh i hate stigmas be responsible and know what ur getting into