Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 04-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Count

Send a message via Yahoo to sexualjesus
Default why steal a boat, when you can steal a warship

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...13722&t=h&z=17

as much as i fucking hate sydney during my drives around town i stumbled upon this jem, a road called cowper warf road in woolomooloo, (a short walk from anywhere in sydney) and as we drove down this road the entire left hand side was filled with warships, at first i guessed they where museum ships, stripped down and useless, but then i noticed a security guard walking around and the fact that its completely fenced off.

theres where my idea came in, for everyone who likes night oping DECOMISSIONED SHIPS IS WHERE ITS AT!, break in through a fence, climb aboard and scope it out, this specific site had one very bored security guard walking around a dock big enough to house 10 ships, each ship had multiple ramps leading into them and because this dock was just a temporary dock these ships had to be able to start up.

a long time ago on rorta there was a thread about hijacking a ship with a helicopter, recently ford has been more realistic in stealing a smaller boat, but this idea is just pure genious, if you could get one of these bad boys up and running who is going to chase you, these ships all had weapons on them (no doubt ammoless but if you scoped it out beforehand you could get creative)

sneak aboard, throw something that generates heat so they think theres more then one person on board, take that fucker as fast as you can into international waters.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Duke

Default Re: why steal a boat, when you can steal a warship

How the fuck do you plan to drive this, they are far more complicated than the average yacht. But if we got lots of people and lots of boats we could all live out in international waters and proclaim in totse land.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexualjesus View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...13722&t=h&z=17

as much as i fucking hate sydney during my drives around town i stumbled upon this jem, a road called cowper warf road in woolomooloo, (a short walk from anywhere in sydney) and as we drove down this road the entire left hand side was filled with warships, at first i guessed they where museum ships, stripped down and useless, but then i noticed a security guard walking around and the fact that its completely fenced off.

theres where my idea came in, for everyone who likes night oping DECOMISSIONED SHIPS IS WHERE ITS AT!, break in through a fence, climb aboard and scope it out, this specific site had one very bored security guard walking around a dock big enough to house 10 ships, each ship had multiple ramps leading into them and because this dock was just a temporary dock these ships had to be able to start up.

a long time ago on rorta there was a thread about hijacking a ship with a helicopter, recently ford has been more realistic in stealing a smaller boat, but this idea is just pure genious, if you could get one of these bad boys up and running who is going to chase you, these ships all had weapons on them (no doubt ammoless but if you scoped it out beforehand you could get creative)

sneak aboard, throw something that generates heat so they think theres more then one person on board, take that fucker as fast as you can into international waters.
Ok, so you've bypassed the security systems, you've snuck past the guard, you've crept into the boat and navigated your way to the bridge...

...Now how do you operate a fucking warship? Let alone the weapons...
Old 04-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Count

Send a message via Yahoo to sexualjesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Ok, so you've bypassed the security systems, you've snuck past the guard, you've crept into the boat and navigated your way to the bridge...

...Now how do you operate a fucking warship? Let alone the weapons...
i didnt think that far ahead, i guess its less about what you know but who you know, the real question is "how are you going to con a captain of the navy to teach you how to operate a warship"

it cant be that hard, im sure theres a training manual on how to operate ships, i think zoklet has 500 army training manuals, theres got to be some navy captain manuals, or even a tech document from the creators of the ship, like an operators manual, or maybe someone here knows someone who works aboard a freightor... theres more then one way to skin a rabit
Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Baron

Send a message via MSN to JREwing Send a message via Skype™ to JREwing

I'm guessing you'll need a couple of people with expertise to start up any large ship. I'd guess you need an engineer for the engines, and a couple of bridge crew, and someone to cast off the mooring lines at the very least. And I bet they are locked.

Even if you do cast off, the REAL navy will sail right out and dust you, claiming you were posing an "imminent threat" to them, Jimbo Kearns style, like those Somalis that got splattered by the US Navy yesterday. "OMG there coming right for us!!!"
Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 AM

"Who's going to come after you?"

Probably the Australian military to start. Then a bunch of other countries will be monitoring and always know your location. There is nowhere safe to keep it imo, except Somalia
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 AM
Marquis

The ship on the map you posted is parked outside a naval base, where 3 active frigates are based.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Kuttabul_(naval_base)

Decommissioned ships are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral...aritime_Museum

Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Vampire_(D11)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ne_drawing.jpg

Brilliant idea. Once you hit international waters, it's smiles all around. Maybe.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexualjesus View Post
i didnt think that far ahead, i guess its less about what you know but who you know, the real question is "how are you going to con a captain of the navy to teach you how to operate a warship"

it cant be that hard, im sure theres a training manual on how to operate ships, i think zoklet has 500 army training manuals, theres got to be some navy captain manuals, or even a tech document from the creators of the ship, like an operators manual, or maybe someone here knows someone who works aboard a freightor... theres more then one way to skin a rabit
A hostage situation is the answer to most problems in life.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 AM
New Arrival

Piloting a warship isn't that different from an average ship. The difficult part comes when you want to operate the weapons systems, as they DO TAKE A LOT OF TRAINING. The ship basically has the throttle, and the navigation system. You can operate the ship manually just like regular ships. I would say this is a very bad idea. I am not completely sure about the Australian navy, but in the american navy there is always a healthy sized crew when a ship is in port, at least 50-60 sailors, and if they are not moored on base then they will most likely be more. Again in the american navy whenever there is word of intruders on the ship everyone suddenly becomes very well armed.

If you wanted to take over a ship here is how I think you could do it. First you would need about 40 people to even have a chance of operating the ship after you are underway, and about 50 to take the ship, as you can expect maybe 10-15 to die while taking the ship.

What you need to do is have these people armed with the following; chlorine gas canisters, NBC gas masks, a semi-auto shotgun, full auto rifle, bullet proof vests, at least 60 extra rounds for the shotgun, about 200 rounds or more for the rifle, flashbang grenades, and whatever else you would want.

Now your group enters at as many points of the ship as possible and evenly distribute then between entry points. Set off the chlorine gas as soon as you can when you come aboard, and each deck you decend to open off new ones, as the ships will close down their ventilation systems whenever they detect an airborn hazard. You will be in very close quarters so you will be using the shotgun a lot, and disorientate the ship's crew with the flashbangs as needed. You are going to want to take over the following areas ASAP; the bridge, combat systems, and engineering. The rest you can take care of rather easily after you have those sections.

Now after you are underway you are at the hardest part. A lot of things can break down on the ship, the good news is the sailors follow exact directions each time to fix it, and prevent it, and these documents are kept on the ship. The problem comes when the parts fail and you have no replacement, as older ships use technology you cannot just get from your local electronics superstore. The good news is that new ships use COTS systems, that is Consumer Off The Shelf.

That is how I would go about taking over a military vessel, but then again I would never be stupid enough to ever try such a suicide mission.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Regular

It's not like you can just waltz onto the bridge, turn a key, put it in drive, push the throttle forward, and roll out.

Depending on the vessel, you're looking at anywhere from 1 to 4 diesel engines, and if it's nuclear powered, you can forget about starting it.

Starting the diesels is a pain. For a diesel engine to start, it must turn over fast enough to obtain sufficient heat to ignite the fuel-air mixture. Combustion forces the piston down or outward (power stroke) from rapid expansion of the gases. Some factors that effect the starting of an engine include: ambient temperature, compression in the cylinders from excessive wear (low) or newly overhauled engine (high), load on the engine (attached generator) and proper pre-lubrication of the engine bearings prior to starting.

Naval powerplants use electric generators to get a spin-up cycle going. Once you've spun up, and disconnect the APU's (Auxiliary Power Units) and the diesels are firing normally, you still need someone in the engine room on the throttle, as the throttle on the bridge isn't actually the throttle, it's the throttle telegraph. Depending on where you set the telegraph, it rings a certain number of bells in the engine room to tell the engine crew what speed you're looking for.

So, your engines are spinning, your electrical system is either on or charging (you can trickle charge the batteries off the diesel engines), now what?

You cast off the bow and stern lines. Bow First, Stern Last (it's tradition)

But, is the harbor deep enough to sail out on your own, or do you need tugboat guidance to get out to a deep enough spot to use your engines? If you're not in deep enough waters in port, you'll clog the engine intakes, which will kill the engines, and you'll be back to starting cycles.

If you can sail out on your own power, you can set your throttle to at least Ahead 1/4 and at maximum Ahead 1/2. You want to be able to turn fast enough to navigate out of harbor. Turning is an issue of it's own.

Modern warships let the computer handle throttle adjustments and turning, with manual override. On an older vessel, they still have the wheel on the bridge, and it'll take a lot of elbow grease to get even a little response out of the rudders. Large ships don't turn on a dime, and won't respond well to you spinning the wheel full right rudder or full left rudder. The Navy does fast turn drills where they will throw the wheel full to one side, and see what happens (the ship leans over in the water to the point where the deck is leaning 45 degrees or more). The key to steering is to go slow, and make your moves very slow and deliberate. Smooth handling of the wheel will get you farther.

Okay, you're out of the harbor, you're under your own power, and sailing.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
MandatoryHomicide (01-30-2013)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Archduke

Thanked 1,059 Times in 688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatoneguy View Post
Piloting a warship isn't that different from an average ship. The difficult part comes when you want to operate the weapons systems, as they DO TAKE A LOT OF TRAINING. The ship basically has the throttle, and the navigation system. You can operate the ship manually just like regular ships. I would say this is a very bad idea. I am not completely sure about the Australian navy, but in the american navy there is always a healthy sized crew when a ship is in port, at least 50-60 sailors, and if they are not moored on base then they will most likely be more. Again in the american navy whenever there is word of intruders on the ship everyone suddenly becomes very well armed.

If you wanted to take over a ship here is how I think you could do it. First you would need about 40 people to even have a chance of operating the ship after you are underway, and about 50 to take the ship, as you can expect maybe 10-15 to die while taking the ship.

What you need to do is have these people armed with the following; chlorine gas canisters, NBC gas masks, a semi-auto shotgun, full auto rifle, bullet proof vests, at least 60 extra rounds for the shotgun, about 200 rounds or more for the rifle, flashbang grenades, and whatever else you would want.

Now your group enters at as many points of the ship as possible and evenly distribute then between entry points. Set off the chlorine gas as soon as you can when you come aboard, and each deck you decend to open off new ones, as the ships will close down their ventilation systems whenever they detect an airborn hazard. You will be in very close quarters so you will be using the shotgun a lot, and disorientate the ship's crew with the flashbangs as needed. You are going to want to take over the following areas ASAP; the bridge, combat systems, and engineering. The rest you can take care of rather easily after you have those sections.

Now after you are underway you are at the hardest part. A lot of things can break down on the ship, the good news is the sailors follow exact directions each time to fix it, and prevent it, and these documents are kept on the ship. The problem comes when the parts fail and you have no replacement, as older ships use technology you cannot just get from your local electronics superstore. The good news is that new ships use COTS systems, that is Consumer Off The Shelf.

That is how I would go about taking over a military vessel, but then again I would never be stupid enough to ever try such a suicide mission.
I'd say you're more or less correct. But it would require the kind of planning and equipment that Zoklets can only masturbate about.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Duke

I can't wait till some kidiot waltzes into this thread and thinks he can steal a warship.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Banned

invte me too. I wanna go get some booty
Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 AM
New Arrival

Again, it would be a suicide mission to try and take over a military vessel. The reason that the somoli pirates are able to take the ships is they are dealing with a loosely trained civilian crew, as opposed to a constantly training military crew. If you wanted a warship I would recommend that you take over a nice civilian ship with a respectable thick metal hull.

There are many reasons for this, mainly being that they are a lot easier and more common. Also you have the advantage of surprise, at least if you don't have weapons mounted on the deck. Civilian ships also usually are easier to maintain as well.

In short if you have to ask, you most likely could never accomplish this feat.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatoneguy View Post
In short if you have to ask, you most likely could never accomplish this feat.
This.

---------------------

The ship in question is a museum ship, sitting in port with no crew. Tourists go inside during the day, it's locked up at night. Two engines in working order, last used 2 years ago. Shouldn't need a tugboat to get it out of the harbour, it's pretty deep.

Far easier (relatively) to take a coastguard ship. I don't know details, but they've got pretty decent weapons.

Last edited by Syphilis; 04-16-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:13 AM
New Arrival

That's garden Island... the largest navy base in NSW... its guarded 24/7 and has crew on the ships. I've been in there though, and it would be an interesting place for a night ops if u got the balls or a disguise...

Also, Navy ships have large crews for a reason... you need most of them to operate the ship and cast off. There are a few other abandoned ships on sydney harbour.. u just gotta know where.

Last edited by CoUnT_sPeDuLa; 04-16-2009 at 01:16 AM.