Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Better Living Through Chemistry > From Seed to Smoke

Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Knight

Default Cold acetone hash oil TEK

I like making oil with cold acetone. It's super simple and the results are great. Potency is very slightly lower than BHO but the taste of the pot is preserved. And it's really not that much of a potency difference anyway. Acetone is easy to source, easy to use and fairly cheap.

Butane works well. It's very selective and does a good job at pulling almost only THC. But it is kind of expensive and can be hard to source, depending on how much you want to do. You can't use just any butane, you have to find something clean. If you choose to go the butane route, I suggest 5 oz of butane per oz of pot. And I do it in a small soda bottle. Works just fine.

Cold acetone hash oil:

Materials:

Mason jars
Clean white T-shirt
Coffee filters
Acetone (not nail polish remover. Try a hardware store or Wal-Mart)
Pyrex pan
Fan
Funnel
At least 15 grams of high-quality pot

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ONLY DO THIS IN A WELL-VENTILATED AREA!

ALWAYS WEAR A RESPIRATOR!

DO NOT SMOKE OR USE OPEN FLAMES AROUND SOLVENTS!

WEAR GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION!

HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY!

DO NOT GET TOO INTOXICATED BEFORE DOING THIS!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, freeze your acetone for 3 days.* Cold is the second key to quality, right behind quality of your starting material. If you use shitty brick weed for this, it's going to show in the final product.

Next you wanna grind up your weed. I use a coffee grinder. No seeds here, and try to pull out all the stems you can. Put this in a Mason jar.

Set up a Mason jar with a funnel and a piece of T-shirt for a filter.

Pull your acetone out of the freezer and immediately pour it over your weed. You want to cover it by about 1/2 to 1 inch with acetone. Start counting to 20 as you put your acetone back in the freezer.

Agitate (with a stainless steel knife or by shaking) for the rest of your 20-second count.

After 20 seconds, filter through the shirt. Squeeze all the liquid from the plant matter and put it back in the first Mason jar.

Do 2 more 20-second washes. Keep them separate if you like. Quality will decline with each pull. After the third pull, the plant matter is pretty much exhausted and can be thrown away. Make sure to pull the acetone straight out of the freezer and put it directly back each time. You need it as cold as possible.

After filtering with the T-shirt, set up another Mason jar and funnel with a coffee filter in it. Pour your pre-filtered acetone through this filter. Do it slowly, as the filter may clog. You may need to change filters. Again, keep each pull separate if you like. If not, it's just fine to mix them.

After filtering, pour the acetone into a Pyrex dish with a fan blowing on it in a well-ventilated area, or preferably outside. Let it evaporate for a few hours and you're ready to smoke it.

I reccomend buying a vapor globe/nail or a vapor skillet to smoke your oil with.

*Alternatively, you can extract at room temp and then freeze the acetone for 3 days just before evaporation. I find this to leave the final product slightly dirtier. I prefer to never have had those fats/waxes/chlorophyll there to begin with if I can help it.

Now you know.

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=233917 - link to duplicate thread in BLTC with more info from other users.

Last edited by 36fuckin5; 03-03-2012 at 10:43 PM.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
adrieann (02-29-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Duke

Send a message via MSN to White Jesus
Default Re: Cold acetone hash oil TEK

Does a standard evap test work to test acetone purity like with butane? Id assume so but I thought i better ask.
Great thread mate, definitely gonna give this a try next time I pickup. Hell ill even add some pics
Old 02-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Knight

Yes it does. The evap test pretty much works with any solvent.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Baron

I'm gonna try this, I actually happen to have weed and acetone haha.
I don't see how 20 second washes get all the thc though. Wouldn't it make more sense to soak the buds for several minutes several times?
Also is the plant material completely unsalvageable or can it be ground and smoked still?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrieann View Post
I'm gonna try this, I actually happen to have weed and acetone haha.
I don't see how 20 second washes get all the thc though. Wouldn't it make more sense to soak the buds for several minutes several times?
No, it would not. You'd end up pulling more gunk with a very minimal increase in THC.THC is very soluble in acetone, even at freezing temperatures.

Quote:
Also is the plant material completely unsalvageable or can it be ground and smoked still?
Smoke it and see. I'd guess it's dead, but I've never tried it. And it should already be ground in a coffee grinder before you extract it.

BTW, this procedure isn't hard, but it's pretty exact. We've done a LOT of tests at home, over and over to get this down the best we could. If you try it and your results are sub-par, you probably fucked something up (letting the acetone heat up too much, not grinding your weed enough, soaking too long, etc). Either way, it should come out with something smokable, and a good bit more potent than the weed you started with.

Here's an example of what it looks like when you use acetone that's too warm:

I was lazy and wanted some oil now, so I just ran what I had. It's gooey and dark and never gets to the shatter point.

This is what it looks like ran cold with a 30-second wash (early experiments before we cut time down):

It's clear (you can read through it) and if left out for a couple days, will shatter all over the place if scraped up cold.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Knight

Pics, in order that they happen:

Supplies (minus the acetone, which was in the freezer.) That's an oz of weed. I used half:

Weed after being ground:

Could have used slightly less solvent. Not a problem though:

Filtering through the t-shirt:

Filtering through coffee filter. I had to change filters 3 times with 14 grams:

This is how much solvent was used total. It is ready to evaporate:

Last edited by 36fuckin5; 03-04-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Duke

Send a message via MSN to White Jesus

Whats the best way to store this stuff? I dont want my delicious oil to oxidise or loose some because it got stuck to the baggie/jar.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Jesus View Post
Whats the best way to store this stuff? I dont want my delicious oil to oxidise or loose some because it got stuck to the baggie/jar.
Glass vials with stoppers (no screw threads as it may get trapped in them) any stuck in the vial can be softened up by heating the vial gently until it flows. Dirt cheap on ebay.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Knight

I just keep mine in a 1/4 pint jar. Definitely don't put it in a baggie. Wax paper or foil if you have to.

I keep the lid & band on it (except when I'm pulling oil out, obviously) and I punched a hole in the lid to hold my dabber. It never lasts long enough to have to worry about degradation. And I doubt you'd have to worry much anyway. If I get to the end of the jar and I don't have more weed to just make more oil right then, I'll wash the jar out with a tiny bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol and evaporate that on a plate.

Also, you don't really HAVE to pull it out of the tray. You can scrape it up hit by hit with a small flathead screwdriver.