Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Society > Weapons and Combat

Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Cat Fucker

Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,922 Posts
Default Homemade Silencer for AR15 to Bring Noise Down to Safe Levels Indoors? Home Defense.

Let's say you have a 5.56 AR15 for home defense. Are there any simple designs that will bring the noise, fired indoors, mind you, to a level where it won't cause permanent ear damage?
“Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible.” - Carl Jung
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Duke

Default Re: Homemade Silencer for AR15 to Bring Noise Down to Safe Levels Indoors? Home Defen

i havent made one but i was thinking about reloding the ammo to make it subsonic and using lead piping and baffles

might as well use .45 acp because sub sonic rifle rounds wont cycle the action without changing the action spring to something softer
Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Howie Hubler

Thanked 1,089 Times in 659 Posts
Default Re: Homemade Silencer for AR15 to Bring Noise Down to Safe Levels Indoors? Home Defen

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6455050/Silencer-From-Maglite
^This is illegal to do without the proper paper work, but just illustrate how people have done this in the past

In theory, its possible, but in reality, there are better platforms to suppress. Like sepht was saying, normal 5.56 ammo is almost 3x supersonic, so its always going to be loud. When you lower the muzzle velocity that much, an AR wont cycle properly w/o a few modifications (plus a suppressor messes with the gas system too). If you already have a lower receiver, you can buy a .22 conversion for pretty cheap. Otherwise look at .45ACP, its naturally subsonic so you dont have to mess with special loads to shoot quiet
Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Nothin' at all

Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,607 Posts

Even the best commercial suppressors are only "kind of" hearing safe indoors.

Unless you are a highly skilled metal worker, I don't think a rifle suppressor would an easy project to undertake.

Oh and since we're talking different calibers, check out the .300 AAC Blackout.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Knight

You would have to jump through all kinds of hoops to legally manufacture/buy a silencer, and you really don't want to be caught with an illegal one.

There's subsonic .223/5.56 ammo out there like roasted said, but you will have to cycle the action manually each shot. Also, alot of the subsonic ammunition for .223 have 75-77grain projectiles to make up for energy loss with the velocity reduction, but you will need an appropriate barrel twist rate (1:7 or 1:8, *some* 1:9 work) to stabilize the heavier (actually longer) projectiles at greater ranges. Just something to think about.

Another option is "linear" muzzle brakes. Most muzzle brakes (like the birdcage for AR, or AK-74 type) make the gun appear to be louder, because of the redirection of the spent gasses at the muzzle outwards perpendicular to the shooter. But linear muzzle brakes (like the Levang linear comp or the Troy Claymore) direct the high-velocity spent gasses forwards, away from the shooter which makes the gun quieter from the shooters perspective. While linear brakes don't eliminate a 5.56's recoil like the '74 brakes do, they do still stop a lot of muzzle climb. The recoil force is more directly backwards with a linear brake, instead of back and up as it is without a brake.

Last edited by Spence_tron; 04-20-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence_tron View Post
You would have to jump through all kinds of hoops to legally manufacture/buy a silencer, and you really don't want to be caught with an illegal one.

There's subsonic .223/5.56 ammo out there like roasted said, but you will have to cycle the action manually each shot. Also, alot of the subsonic ammunition for .223 have 75-77grain projectiles to make up for energy loss with the velocity reduction, but you will need an appropriate barrel twist rate (1:7 or 1:8, *some* 1:9 work) to stabilize the heavier (actually longer) projectiles at greater ranges. Just something to think about.

Another option is "linear" muzzle brakes. Most muzzle brakes (like the birdcage for AR, or AK-74 type) make the gun appear to be louder, because of the redirection of the spent gasses at the muzzle outwards perpendicular to the shooter. But linear muzzle brakes (like the Levang linear comp or the Troy Claymore) direct the high-velocity spent gasses forwards, away from the shooter which makes the gun quieter from the shooters perspective. While linear brakes don't eliminate a 5.56's recoil like the '74 brakes do, they do still stop a lot of muzzle climb. The recoil force is more directly backwards with a linear brake, instead of back and up as it is without a brake.
Not really that many hoops to jump through. Download your Form 1 from the ATF website. Fill it out. Take it to your counties sheriff. Wait for him to sign off on it. Then send in your Form 1 and $200 to the ATF and wait for them to send it back. I am going to get my paperwork sent in here shortly. I might even just send in two while I am doing it. Just not sure what the second one to make should be. I have plans for one made of exhaust tubing and freeze plugs somewhere. I'll dig it up for you. I saw one in action and it did a very good job. It knocked down the muzzle blast a bunch(almost 22LR levels) and inside the bullet travel would be so short the sonic crack would be minimal. I'll have to find it. I know i sent it to Lava he may have it handy.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Howie Hubler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog whacka View Post
Not really that many hoops to jump through. Download your Form 1 from the ATF website. Fill it out. Take it to your counties sheriff. Wait for him to sign off on it. Then send in your Form 1 and $200 to the ATF and wait for them to send it back. I am going to get my paperwork sent in here shortly. I might even just send in two while I am doing it. Just not sure what the second one to make should be. I have plans for one made of exhaust tubing and freeze plugs somewhere. I'll dig it up for you. I saw one in action and it did a very good job. )It knocked down the muzzle blast a bunch(almost 22LR levels and inside the bullet travel would be so short the sonic crack would be minimal. I'll have to find it. I know i sent it to Lava he may have it handy.
For a 5.56 or 7.62? Thats impressive...I'll have to sub this thread to hear how you do that. An even easier way to get a NFA weapon/attachment is setting up a living trust to buy NFA guns/suppressors...thats what I did....no LEO sign-off and no background check (its a lot quicker to buy NFA guns with a trust instead of buying them yourself)
Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Duke

i tried shooting my 1911 through a pillow and it was surprisingly silent

makes me want to buy a legal silencer
Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Cat Fucker

What if I just tape a small carboard box around the flash hider area and fill it with sound proofing material?
“Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible.” - Carl Jung
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
What if I just tape a small carboard box around the flash hider area and fill it with sound proofing material?
If its a heavy-walled cardboard tube and a .22 then MAYBE, otherwise: confetti.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Cat Fucker

Okay, a heavy duty plastic container.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Knight

Do you have something against appropriate building materials?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Cat Fucker

I have been assured by the good people at Rubbermaid that their Roughneck line of totes are virtually indestructible.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post

I have been assured by the good people at Rubbermaid that their Roughneck line of totes are virtually indestructible.
I'll gladly drop a grenade in there and pull the pin with a string to prove them wrong. Else this is the new Nokia and deserves it's very own meme, not to mention tanks made out of them.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Knight

http://www.mcmaster.com/#inline-mufflers/=h7ky07

I wonder if these could potentially have firearm silencing properties, if you do the ATF paperwork of course.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:18 AM
Peasant

Like someone else said, you REALLY don't want to be caught with an unregistered suppressor. Why don't you just put on hearing protection before you fire? Leave it with your rifle so it's ready to go as soon as you hear someone breaking in.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Cat Fucker

Eh, seems kind of risky. Every second could count.

Really, if the feds kick in my door and find an unregistered suppressor I'll have much bigger things to worry about. What if you were caught the same way with unregistered drugs?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Howie Hubler

Quote:
Eh, seems kind of risky. Every second could count.

Really, if the feds kick in my door and find an unregistered suppressor I'll have much bigger things to worry about. What if you were caught the same way with unregistered drugs?
Well, if you shoot anybody in your house (even if its intruder) be prepared for it to get your house demolished with a police search warrant. Anything illegal will probably be found. Drugs or an unregistered suppressor, you'll get fucked by the proper authorities.

If its truly life and death, just shoot the motherfucker and deal with sore ears for a day or two (mild hearing loss > dying)

Last edited by roasted; 04-22-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Cat Fucker

What about the risk of permanent damage? Temporary, I don't care about. Anyone have a good medical insight into this?

After shooting someone I would definitely get rid of everything illegal ASAP. Removing and disassembling a homemade silencer would be pretty quick.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
STD (04-25-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Howie Hubler

there will be permanent damage, but it will only be mild hearing loss. I've shot an M4 before without ear protection, but I wouldnt recommend it. I not anywhere near deaf, but I can notice a difference in my hearing between my two ears. Its probably similar damage to a rock musician who does concerts for a few years
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Cat Fucker

Nope, no significant permanent damage at all. That's too much for me.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Marquis

Just look at how a silencer is made, and go from there. Youtube has tons of videos of people disassembling silencers and seeing the internals. Basically a tube with some cups inside of it with a hole in the middle.

40mm aluminium tube, welch plugs to fit inside with holes drilled in the middle(find an appropriate sized plug, or a bigger tube. then make a jig to have all the holes dead center).
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Cat Fucker

I know. I was just wondering if I could put a coffee can over it or something and have the noise reduced enough to were it wouldn't cause permanent damage.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Marquis

Youtu.be

I HAS ANSWER. Yes, it is an oil filter.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Marquis

Thanked 1,089 Times in 671 Posts

^ Man, I sure wish they would leak the specs to that.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Cat Fucker

Quote:
we will be doing a video on my m-16's in the next month or so
Quote:
i belive we used sub sonics in the pistol and hyper sonics in the 10-22 rifle. they were federal bulk pack
I don't trust 22s for self defense. Let's see how it does with 5.56
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Cat Fucker

On second thought, if I coated them with something that would instantly/quickly disable them, I might be willing to use them, but then again, they wouldn't be able to pierce armor.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Howie Hubler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irukanji View Post
http://youtu.be/haiqFcIXTqs

I HAS ANSWER. Yes, it is an oil filter.
kinda seems like a waste of a tax stamp...kinda cool (maybe), but not practical for anything but fucking around on the range...I bet you get a great front sight picture with an oil filter hanging off the front of your gun

Quote:
On second thought, if I coated them with something that would instantly/quickly disable them, I might be willing to use them, but then again, they wouldn't be able to pierce armor.
If you want armor piercing for personal defense, then a FN Five-Seven is probably the way to go. I'm like 95% sure that you wont find a sub-sonic armor piercing round. Even a 44 Mag is super sonic w/ regular loads, and a sub sonic load might not penetrate.

If you ever have to use a gun in a home defense situation, hearing loss is something that you just kinda deal with. Living > perfect hearing...