Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Society > Weapons and Combat

Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Night Moderator

Default Awesome things to do with shotgun shells

Simply put, I am interested in hearing about cool stuff you can do with shotgun shells! Pertaining to shooting, that is: While one COULD melt down the buckshot and cast little toy soldiers from them, that has nothing to do with shooting. Heheh.

No, I am referring to things like cutshells. That's when you take an everyday birdshot load and deeply score the shell almost completely around, at the base of the shot load, whoch kind of turns your birdshot into a "slug" of sorts. See, the blast blows off the front of the closed hull, along with the shot, and this keeps the payload together instead of letting it spread as intended, so it all hits at once like a slug.

That's just one cool thing I heard of recently, and I admire its backwoods ingenuity

What other cool shit can I do with shotguns and shotgun shells? What kinds of fun/cool/ingenious/possibly dangerous items can I load into my shells and fire? Are there any other tricks (similar to cutshells) you can edjumacate me about? Let's hear it! Thanks guys.

Infrared
Old 06-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Baron

Send a message via MSN to 13579
Default Re: Awesome things to do with shotgun shells

Rocksalt. That is all.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Joint Chief of Soul

Hold a lighter to them. Makes em more powerful.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Child of The Fence

Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,793 Posts

Marbles.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Knight

I have a box of "wax slugs" that I made from winchester copper birdshot, but I haven't taken my mossberg to the 'range' the past few times to shoot them. I'm tempted to hold onto them until I can do some side by side penetration testing.

I've also played with the (possibly dangerous/questionably legal) idea of buying some of these:

...and then filling the cavity with crushed up flint metal and possibly some magnesium shavings for some srs DIY incendiary ammo. But I'd imagine that a round like that would be a hell of a forest/brush fire hazard though.

Edit: Btw wax slugs are where you pour wax into a birdshot shell, turning birdshot essentially into frangible slugs.

Last edited by Spence_tron; 06-10-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Duke

Dig a hole and add a nail in it connected to a spring. Place the shot shell on the spring then cover it with foliage. If someone steps on it the shell will blow off their foot, which slows down the entire team.

Build a mine field around a path where soldiers are presumed to take. Once your team ambushes them the soldiers will spread out to prevent a grenade from taking them all out at once. Obviously there will be shot mines littered throughout areas that provide good cover.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,151 Posts

I saw someone who emptied some red and green shells and put clear christmas lights through where the primer would be and they were really cool.

here I just googled it and sure enough...

These ones are upside down though I think the ones I saw went the other way.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Nothin' at all

Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepht View Post
Dig a hole and add a nail in it connected to a spring. Place the shot shell on the spring then cover it with foliage. If someone steps on it the shell will blow off their foot, which slows down the entire team.

Build a mine field around a path where soldiers are presumed to take. Once your team ambushes them the soldiers will spread out to prevent a grenade from taking them all out at once. Obviously there will be shot mines littered throughout areas that provide good cover.
That would not actually happen.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Night Moderator

Thanks for the replies (even the idiotic ones)! Those lights are kinda funny. And hey, what does rock salt do? Is the idea to create a less-lethal frangible kind of load or what? Also, more info plz about incendiary/explosive mixtures! Thanks.

As a side note, I discovered that buckshot makes perfect, dense slingshot ammo. Heheh. So do the big Foster slugs, but obviously that'd get expensive after awhile.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Knight

Drill holes in 2x4 to fit desired slug, drill smaller holes into another 2x4 screw 2x4s together lining up the holes on center, place a bolt into the smaller holes.

Get some bird shot. Dump out bird shot, melt in metal cauldron or any led melting device, pour into slug mold. After they set unscrew the bolts, push slug out with dowel.

Insert into hollowed out shot shells, sell with Elmer's glue, or epoxy of choice.

Bonus: Add equivalent diameter steel ball baring's or rods affix with glue. make sure they don't stick out of the hollow tip, no need to have any miss fires now.

Have Fun with your new hollow tipped bird slugs.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Joint Chief of Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbarbwir3 View Post
Drill holes in 2x4 to fit desired slug, drill smaller holes into another 2x4 screw 2x4s together lining up the holes on center, place a bolt into the smaller holes.

Get some bird shot. Dump out bird shot, melt in metal cauldron or any led melting device, pour into slug mold. After they set unscrew the bolts, push slug out with dowel.

Insert into hollowed out shot shells, sell with Elmer's glue, or epoxy of choice.

Bonus: Add equivalent diameter steel ball baring's or rods affix with glue. make sure they don't stick out of the hollow tip, no need to have any miss fires now.

Thanks, I was looking for something that would make slugs more lethal than they already are.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zok Jr. View Post
I saw someone who emptied some red and green shells and put clear christmas lights through where the primer would be and they were really cool.

here I just googled it and sure enough...

These ones are upside down though I think the ones I saw went the other way.
they sell those at Bass Pro or Cabelas, fyi
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56 SS109 View Post
What would soldiers do if they were being sniped in the middle of a mine field hmm?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbarbwir3 View Post

Where on earth do we find you mud farmers

327.46 C is the melting point of lead, please note this when it JUST begins to melt. Now doing a quick google search I found that for most woods, they will combust at 300C. Yes there are also many hard woods that are around the 400-425C range. But unless you stir like crazy to get an even temperature throughout your lead, (which to achieve would more realistically be around the 350C area) the chances of you setting alight to your wooden mould is seriously high. If you should consider this path for what ever reason, I urge you to compact the fuck out of the mould with a hammer to condense it and once finished cutting your desired mould, to scorch it for additional fire resistance or better yet apply a thermally resistant layer.

Personally if I was to ever make slugs (considering you're manufacturing what is a deadly weapon) I'd put in the effort to get a CNC mould done in steel, for what would be a minor cost and for some peace of mind that not only could I could raise the temperature of the lead to a near liquid state with ease and still have the steel hold out. But reach a level of consistency and confidence that what I'd be firing, considering it would be wildly untested isn't going to backfire in my face.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Baron

Quote:
What would soldiers do if they were being sniped in the middle of a mine field hmm?
It largely depends on the amount of soldiers in said minefield. But as a general rule they would lay down suppressive fire in the direction of the sniper, call in any artillery or air support on hand and leap frog back the way they came ie the known safe path to a safe location to regroup and find another way around the minefield. Despite what you see in movies I would have it as a guess that if I was in a minefield the last thing I would be doing is running about
Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,607 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DiStOrTiOn

it would be awesome to find an explosive compound that's stable enough to accelerate in the gun but unstable on impact, and fill this in one of those hollow slug rounds.

I wonder if tannerite would work
Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painzstake View Post
It largely depends on the amount of soldiers in said minefield. But as a general rule they would lay down suppressive fire in the direction of the sniper, call in any artillery or air support on hand and leap frog back the way they came ie the known safe path to a safe location to regroup and find another way around the minefield. Despite what you see in movies I would have it as a guess that if I was in a minefield the last thing I would be doing is running about
What if the sniper was a volley of AK bullets? I saw documentaries where warring niggers would have a stand off behind cover and try to hit each other from several hundred yards away, well beyond the range of their rifles. Calling an air strike from behind cover would spell death for the opposing team so it would only be sensible to have mines where they would likely take cover.

I remember another documentary where they were using SKS grenades. They would shoot one off and they other guy said "that one was way off target" and the shooter said. "doesn't matter, its going in their direction."

Last edited by sepht; 06-10-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Knight

Tannerite requires relatively high velocity projectiles to be detonated. Standard ammonium nitrate/aluminum tannerite would not det with 12ga velocities, but I bet sensitized tannerite comps containing perchlorates, zircronium hydride, or antimony trisulfide would stand a better chance. Problem is that sensitivity is a double edged sword, especially when dealing with projectiles carrying an active payload fired from a shouldered weapon.

...Although I've given the idea much thought.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Night Moderator

Uh, yeeehaw.

So hey, tell me about flechettes: Anybody here ever loaded those flechettes that you can purchase by the pound from the likes of CTD? If so, enlighten me as to how they performed.

Also, let's say I decide to cut off a 12-ga. shell in such a way that only the plastic powder-covering wad and the powder charge remains....Give me ideas for shit to launch!
Mind, all of you, this is all for shits and giggles, and that I understand the safety risks inherent to these wild endeavors. I do not condone the activities I have discussed, but nevertheless I feel they might be fun

Put forth more info, lads and lasses!

......sorry, drinking Yukon Jack and it makes me stupid. Sorry, fellow WC-tizens.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Nothin' at all

Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
No, I mean a shotshell going off outside of a chamber/barrel would not cause even the most minor injury.

If you were holding a shotshell in you hand an it happened to go off, the only injury that could happen would be slight brusing and maybe a light burn.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Baron

Quote:
What if the sniper was a volley of AK bullets? I saw documentaries where warring niggers would have a stand off behind cover and try to hit each other from several hundred yards away, well beyond the range of their rifles. Calling an air strike from behind cover would spell death for the opposing team so it would only be sensible to have mines where they would likely take cover.

I remember another documentary where they were using SKS grenades. They would shoot one off and they other guy said "that one was way off target" and the shooter said. "doesn't matter, its going in their direction."

Yugoslavian SKS launching grenade - Battlefield - YouTube
What if the sniper was firing a volley of 7.62 I presume your saying? You can also easily kill a target with a 7.62x39 from several hundred yards/meters away. You'd still do exactly the same thing I said, I'll wait for P# to weigh in, but I presume he'd come to the same consensus.

I'm not quite sure of your point with the air-strike... are you trying to prevent them getting into a position to place an air-strike? Because I have high doubts it would take over 30-60 seconds to place one. Which could be done in the retreat or at initial suppression.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Actually it does, but it's not as simple.

You need to have a base plug where the firing pin (made from a blunted nail) is epoxied into a PVC endcap attached to a 1" PVC tube about 4 inches long. Then you glue the shell into a 3/4" PVC tube, making sure it's a tight fit. Then you fit the "barrel" tube into the "receiver" tube, and put a little wax or white glue, just so that it will stay there when burried vertically but will fall onto the striker when pressure is applied. Bury vertically and leave a log or some other thing to make sure pressure is applied. Now it works.

This item has been tested and found to work with reasonable reliability. The effects of long-term exposure to the elements have not yet been assessed.

No animals were harmed in the testing of this item.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
jheit8 (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Duke

Quote:
No, I mean a shotshell going off outside of a chamber/barrel would not cause even the most minor injury.

If you were holding a shotshell in you hand an it happened to go off, the only injury that could happen would be slight brusing and maybe a light burn.
well put it in a little pipe or something idk

i had an infograph with all of the measurements and materials required but i lost it somewhere or didnt save it off the net when i was skimming through info
Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Knight

Thumbs Up Re: Awesome things to do with shotgun shells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painzstake View Post
Where on earth do we find you mud farmers

327.46 C is the melting point of lead, please note this when it JUST begins to melt. Now doing a quick google search I found that for most woods, they will combust at 300C. Yes there are also many hard woods that are around the 400-425C range. But unless you stir like crazy to get an even temperature throughout your lead, (which to achieve would more realistically be around the 350C area) the chances of you setting alight to your wooden mould is seriously high. If you should consider this path for what ever reason, I urge you to compact the fuck out of the mould with a hammer to condense it and once finished cutting your desired mould, to scorch it for additional fire resistance or better yet apply a thermally resistant layer.

Personally if I was to ever make slugs (considering you're manufacturing what is a deadly weapon) I'd put in the effort to get a CNC mould done in steel, for what would be a minor cost and for some peace of mind that not only could I could raise the temperature of the lead to a near liquid state with ease and still have the steel hold out. But reach a level of consistency and confidence that what I'd be firing, considering it would be wildly untested isn't going to backfire in my face.

Just because it combusts does not mean you cant control it bro. Not trying to be a "noob" mud farmer I was just trying to be a productive member of your society, if you don't like to play with fire you could always use a pipe section. and and end cap with a bolt through it. i was thinking on a mass production level though.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 AM
Knight

12ga flechette rounds are practically worthless outside of novelty. Half of the flechettes packed in the shell are upside-down and require about 40yards to flip around in the air to stabilize. And each flechette loses momentum very quickly because of their low mass compared to lead, reducing lethality at suck a range. Added that I've also read that the spread at 40 yards is around 8 feet, this round becomes less and less attractive the more you look.

Although I did see a few pics online somewhere of one of those 12ga flechette shells penetrating a level IIa vest... the catch is that they stopped penetrating where the fins start (like 1").

I have heard from a veteran that the OG flechette shells used in Vietnam weren't actually darts, but instead were sharp triangular disks... but I do not know the validity of that statement.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Night Moderator

That's good info. It makes sense that the flechettes would flip and take time to stabilize, given that their gins were teeny-tiny...Hell, weren't the basically the same, or very slightly larger, diameter than the flechette itself? That would suggest lower drag, and thus lower capability to stabilize the dart, to me.

I like the idea of sharp little triangles better, since they probably have a much better chance of cutting/piercing, but I imagine they might also have a tendency to zig and zag off in weird directions as well. You know - like if you launch a stack of dimes out of a slingshot? Some stay on target and "slice" the air, but others fly off sideways and flip, making that cool "FVVVVVVVVV" sound, like a ricochet. Lol.

What do you think would make an ideal payload, as far as the intended purposes of flechettes goes? Elliptical, sharp tungsten pieces or something, perhaps? Like that Federal "black cloud" shot, but bigger. Hmmmm
Old 06-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,607 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DiStOrTiOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post
What do you think would make an ideal payload, as far as the intended purposes of flechettes goes? Elliptical, sharp tungsten pieces or something, perhaps? Like that Federal "black cloud" shot, but bigger. Hmmmm
tungsten arc rods that've had one end flattened on an anvil might work good
Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Knight

As far a flechettes go, tungsten would be one of the best material options. It is denser than steel giving a better sectional density, and is tough enough to probably provide the penetration that flechettes are "famous" for.

And since you need to have half of the darts upside down to fit a decent amount in a shell, I'd suggest possibly loading shells with two different darts. half standard fin-stabilized flechettes facing the right way, and half mass-stabilized darts with a heavier bulged tip and tapered "tail". That way you can fit the same number of flechettes in a shell, and the half that are normally upside-down are actually positioned correctly so they don't have to flip to stabilize. The darts with the broader tips would also provide a slightly larger wound channel, helping with one of flechette's downfalls with soft targets. I'm just throwing some ideas out there.

Edit: But I do think that sharp tungsten triangular 'discs' could be very effective... against soft targets exclusively. I've seen tests of shooting stacks of dimes out of shotguns, they tumble a lot and have next to no penetration. But I think that sharp triangular shot would have a much better chance of slicing through the air/spin-stabilizing and be more lethal. I just don't see shot like that penetrating the same as the finned dart configuration.

...And the apparent excessively large spread from flechette shells could be minimized if the fins on the flechettes were canted say 1 degree or so to impart spin, increasing their stability. Using s shell wadding like the Federal "FliteControl" wad would also probably tighten the spread too.

Last edited by Spence_tron; 06-11-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Knight

Send a message via MSN to Eskorbuto

As far as rock salt shotgun rounds:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm
Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Duke

load a shell with one big metal dart. The fins will stabilize it, making it more precise, and the metal fins will cut into the target, possibly breaking off inside and causing a huge amount of damage. A sharp, slim tip will cut right through body armor.

Connect the sharpened, metal fins and tip to a wooden shaft with weak glue. This will allow the metal to easily break away and cause damage and penetration. I experimented this with an air pistol. The wooden tip bounced off the target but the metal tip pierced into it quite effectively.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Shinin Ho

I have always wondered what would happen if you loaded a slug in backwards. Considering the whole thing is basically hollow, a reversed slug would be the end all of hollowpoint anything.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Duke

If you're gonna build a zip gun, I'd imagine it'd be easier to build a shot gun than anything else
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Knight

Stick it up your ass and pull the trigger.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaRed View Post
Actually it does, but it's not as simple.

You need to have a base plug where the firing pin (made from a blunted nail) is epoxied into a PVC endcap attached to a 1" PVC tube about 4 inches long. Then you glue the shell into a 3/4" PVC tube, making sure it's a tight fit. Then you fit the "barrel" tube into the "receiver" tube, and put a little wax or white glue, just so that it will stay there when burried vertically but will fall onto the striker when pressure is applied. Bury vertically and leave a log or some other thing to make sure pressure is applied. Now it works.

This item has been tested and found to work with reasonable reliability. The effects of long-term exposure to the elements have not yet been assessed.

No animals were harmed in the testing of this item.
Taken from The Poor Man's James Bond, Vol. 4 "Viet cong boobytraps"
Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Marquis

Thanked 1,089 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMC View Post
I have always wondered what would happen if you loaded a slug in backwards. Considering the whole thing is basically hollow, a reversed slug would be the end all of hollowpoint anything.
Thank God there are retired Texans to answer life's difficult questions.
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot32_4.htm
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Lastministrator

Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post
Simply put, I am interested in hearing about cool stuff you can do with shotgun shells! Pertaining to shooting, that is: While one COULD melt down the buckshot and cast little toy soldiers from them, that has nothing to do with shooting. Heheh.

No, I am referring to things like cutshells. That's when you take an everyday birdshot load and deeply score the shell almost completely around, at the base of the shot load, whoch kind of turns your birdshot into a "slug" of sorts. See, the blast blows off the front of the closed hull, along with the shot, and this keeps the payload together instead of letting it spread as intended, so it all hits at once like a slug.

That's just one cool thing I heard of recently, and I admire its backwoods ingenuity

What other cool shit can I do with shotguns and shotgun shells? What kinds of fun/cool/ingenious/possibly dangerous items can I load into my shells and fire? Are there any other tricks (similar to cutshells) you can edjumacate me about? Let's hear it! Thanks guys.

Infrared
Take the load out of a 12 gauge shell and replace it with a complete .410 round with the primer facing forward and superglue a .22 pellet on the outside of the 410 primer. Shoot someone evil in the belly with it, when the .410 hits their spine it'll go off and shoot another hole out of their belly from the inside.
CSI Abq will show up and say "what the fuck??"

--
Self loathing is the fate of all great iconoclasts.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizled View Post
Take the load out of a 12 gauge shell and replace it with a complete .410 round with the primer facing forward and superglue a .22 pellet on the outside of the 410 primer. Shoot someone evil in the belly with it, when the .410 hits their spine it'll go off and shoot another hole out of their belly from the inside.
CSI Abq will show up and say "what the fuck??"
Or it'll go off on impact and shoot back at you
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Lastministrator

Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheit8 View Post
Or it'll go off on impact and shoot back at you
Murder/Suicide!!

--
Self loathing is the fate of all great iconoclasts.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 AM
Night Moderator

Great idea, miz, but Abq. CSI wouldn't even show up....lol. About 50-75 normal Abq beat cops will show up to block the roads, stand around, plant evidence if needed and go "hmm", all the while soaking up overtime pay. Fuck APD.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Marquis

Thanked 1,089 Times in 671 Posts

^Isn't MediumD/DTP an APD officer?