Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > DIY

Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Marquis

Default Being homeless

So my whore ex broke up with me in early Nov, and I had my things while I was in the hospital a few weeks later. I've been in a hotel since Thanksgiving. I've been looking for places to live, and I know I can find on easily. But...

I have a car, in very good condition and under 60k miles. I have about $450 to my name now. I go to college. I'd like to save some money for the rest of this month by not moving anywhere. I can reup my gym membership and shower there, and at school. I have no furniture except for a bed, and a dresser which I could put in a small storage unit, along with most of my clothes and other personal items. I can use the wifi at school and Starbucks. I have no pets or any other responsibilities.

So my biggest concern is sleeping. I'd like to be homeless on the down low if I do it. I can try and hang out at friend's houses late and get "too drunk to drive" and also try and meet some sluts at the bar to go home with.

Anyway, any advice would be awesome. I'd like to try and do this til New Year's and if it isn't too bad, maybe through Jan as well.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Marquis

Default Re: Being homeless

It's not good to be sleeping around drunk and on drugs if you have to study. You can also end up in a really bad scene. There are psychos and perverts out there.

I'd let you live here but I'm on a different planet.

Facebook.com/douglas.mcdonnell.56

필승 = Pil Seung = Certain Victory

Join the Occupy Pyongyang movement today!

facebook.com/groups/177201785770959/
Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,402 Times in 833 Posts

If you're really desperate you could sleep in your car, though you may end up sleeping in a coffin if car thieves find you.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
love free stuff (12-12-2012), n shit (12-12-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Marquis

I've done it before, but it's rough. I usually go for a Walmart parking lot in a decent part of town. Never been bugged before, but I could just tell cops I was sleeping one off. Just as long as it doesn't look like I'm living there, I'd be ok. My biggest problem is with that is since I want to sleep somewhere "safe", it's usually well lit and that makes it tough to sleep.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuer502gt View Post
I'm on a different planet.
This is the most accurate statement I have ever read.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Marquis

Facebook.com/douglas.mcdonnell.56

필승 = Pil Seung = Certain Victory

Join the Occupy Pyongyang movement today!

facebook.com/groups/177201785770959/
Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Duke

You might be able to get away with sleeping in self-storage for a month, if there's no CCTV. Although if you're caught, you'll be out on your arse again.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Marquis

The storage unit is 5x5 so that'd be tricky.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiazas View Post
The storage unit is 5x5 so that'd be tricky.
You could lay down diagonally giving you 7.071067812 feet of space. Also sleeping in a car doesn't seem terrible. I imaging it would start to feel way to cramped though unless you owned a big truck/suv
Old 12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Marquis

Its a smallish, mid sized Hyundai. I really only have 3 weeks of this, less since I'll be visiting family for almost a week later this month. I just need to actually save money.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Baron

Quote:
and also try and meet some sluts at the bar to go home with.
What an awesome (and STD filled) existence that would be. Being homeless but bouncing around to different fat bitches' houses. Cheaper than a motel, right?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Marquis

One would hope. Although I'm not sure why I'm banging fat, herpes chicks.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Overcooked

Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville View Post
What an awesome (and STD filled) existence that would be. Being homeless but bouncing around to different fat bitches' houses. Cheaper than a motel, right?
I did this for a while, it's not bad.

If you're sleeping on the streets in America, it's probably because you like it or you're a social failure who can't run game.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Marquis

The way I see it, I have about 17 days or so of doing this. Hopefully about half of that will be spent on various friend's couches. So I only need to hook up about 8 or 9 times this month to avoid sleeping in my car.

I'm gonna journal the next few weeks somewhere.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Duke

Sounds awesome.

Here's a technique I read somewhere on the net - drive to a strip mall on the city limits that has 24-hour shopping, park up in the well-lit and secure car park, wander off into the wilderness for 10 minutes until you're well away from the car park, sleep in a tent, go and have a wash in the 24-hour stores' bathrooms, and return to your unmolested vehicle. The guy purportedly does this all the time.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Mistress of the Electron

If you go to a large university, you can sleep in the classrooms. Many buildings are open 24 hours for grad students, and someone sleeping there is completely ordinary.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Peasant

Find abandoned buildings that are boarded up, and that look like they aren't already occupied by squatters.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRascalKing View Post
I did this for a while, it's not bad.

If you're sleeping on the streets in America, it's probably because you like it or you're a social failure who can't run game.
what are you talking about you do that now we've all seen your greasy fat as fuck trailer bitch you live with
ACE_187 (12-09-2012), Godfrey (12-11-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula Tzar View Post
If you go to a large university, you can sleep in the classrooms. Many buildings are open 24 hours for grad students, and someone sleeping there is completely ordinary.
Yep, I can confirm that this'll work in a campus university - they almost never require going through any security, even in the security-obsessed UK.

If it's a city-centre university then the buildings require key-card access and have security, though - at least in my experience.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Duke

Sluts to go home with? You mean to your car?

I would prefer a windowless van. Park at walmart. I dont think they care.

Steal food. I would buy a lot of bananas since they are cheap. that and spring water. Shit in wooded aras behind businesses
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfrink View Post
You might be able to get away with sleeping in self-storage for a month, if there's no CCTV. Although if you're caught, you'll be out on your arse again.
A company I did some sub contracting for had their offices in self storage and one guy slept on one of those fold out chair-bed things and was doing so for quite a while. I'm not sure where he got showered but he always looked fairly clean and presentable (haircut, clean shaven, smart clothes). I asked someone about it and he'd been sleeping their for multiple months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokerface View Post
If you're really desperate you could sleep in your car, though you may end up sleeping in a coffin if car thieves find you.
I doubt typical car thieves would be willing to commit a murder. I've slept in my car a few times when I haven't booked accommodation, slept in the back of a van a few times with a mattress fairly comfortable with a good sleeping bag.

Quote:
Its a smallish, mid sized Hyundai. I really only have 3 weeks of this, less since I'll be visiting family for almost a week later this month. I just need to actually save money.
I've slept in cars of various sizes, your main problem is being seen by any security/police. I once got collared by police for sleeping in a Ford Fiesta, got breathalised despite the fact I'd had nothing to drink. I told the officer I was extremely tired and simply couldn't drive any further and was miles away from home, to which they seemed OK with.

Quote:
Sounds awesome.

Here's a technique I read somewhere on the net - drive to a strip mall on the city limits that has 24-hour shopping, park up in the well-lit and secure car park, wander off into the wilderness for 10 minutes until you're well away from the car park, sleep in a tent, go and have a wash in the 24-hour stores' bathrooms, and return to your unmolested vehicle. The guy purportedly does this all the time.
Awesome. Personally if I had to live out of a car I'd buy a gym membership for like 20 a month, hot showers, somewhere to shave/change and get a workout in. Much cheaper than a typical 500/month rent or 29/night budget hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauraloka View Post
Find abandoned buildings that are boarded up, and that look like they aren't already occupied by squatters.
A friend of mine used the Internet to find properties that had been for sale for extended periods, then go check them out, lots of empty big properties that won't sell, unoccupied. Lived in them for a while.

Quote:
Yep, I can confirm that this'll work in a campus university - they almost never require going through any security, even in the security-obsessed UK.

If it's a city-centre university then the buildings require key-card access and have security, though - at least in my experience.
Lots of Universities you could sleep at getting access to specific buildings may be harder. I've known a few people to sleep in libraries/live in libraries during revision times and not even go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE_187 View Post
Sluts to go home with? You mean to your car?

I would prefer a windowless van. Park at walmart. I dont think they care.

Steal food. I would buy a lot of bananas since they are cheap. that and spring water. Shit in wooded aras behind businesses
I think he means going back to the sluts houses - certainly doable if you've got some game.

Another option is to take a job at a hotel chain - a friend of mine said staff can get free rooms if needed and one lad has been living in a hotel room for 3-4 months now for free - not bad at all really, think about it - no commuting costs, free utilities/services (internet, electric, water). You'd basically save 100% of your wage after tax.

I've considered living in a van/estate car a few times. The only things that cost a lot are rent and going out, everything else is cheap in reality. I spend fuck all on food and eat well, spend fuck all on clothes and remain warm and dry 99.99% of the time, have a small mobile phone/internet bill per month and keep a cheap car on the road. If I could reduce rent by living in a vehicle and reduce going out costs by a considerable margin, I'd save a damn fortune - but then what do I do? Stay at home and count it? Maybe spending the money that would be being saved to live inside of an actual house would be a better option as opposed to the back of a van.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,690 Posts

For those of you who lived in cars for a while...

Did you pay your car bill?
If so, where did they send it?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Marquis

Thanked 1,138 Times in 770 Posts

I lived in a tent in the woods for about a month this summer. It really was a lot better than I expected. I rode my mountain bike everywhere I needed to go. Charged my phone at taco bell, and filled my water jugs there too. I showered and friends houses and occasionally my mom would let me shower at her house and take me out to eAt. I had a link card so I ate great, and cooked all my meals hobo style on the camp fire.
rustyshackleford420 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Knight

Ive been homeless for about 2 months now. In my town in the pacific northwest the cops are super dicks. From what I have heard they send all the cops that just graduated here to get started so that might explain a lot. But back to my point these cops are super dicks and they haven't fucked with me at all whenever I have slept in my car. So I bet its safe to assume that your local fuzz wont fuck with you either. Just stick to k-mart, walmart, hastings,etc...parking lots. They usually don't give a shit. Just behave yourself and don't do anything stupid. The only problem I've had with sleeping in my car is that I cant strech my legs out and it fucks with my knees. I'm 6'5 and I have a '97 honda civic

Since I really don't give a fuck about being homeless I have let my friends know and they usually let me shower and crash on there couch a couple nights out of the week. But what you could do is go to R.V. Parks and just walk in, act like you live there, and use the public showers. I dont know how any other R.V. Parks are but thats how my local one is.

If your on a low budget stick to canned food. Look around the grocery stores for good deals on corn, green beans, chili, etc...That is the cheapest way to go if you don't have a place to cook food at. Plus the food bank will hook it up if you tell them your living out of your car. You can also get friendly with the night shift gas station clerks and they will hook you up with the old burritos, tornados, corn dogs,etc...

I know alot more but really cant think of anything to add at the moment.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 3,414 Times in 2,198 Posts

I slept in a car for a long time. If you scope out an area well (common fucking sense), and put some like removable tint on the windows, people wont even be able to see you in there. No one ever fucked with me, except for the police.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Butt.Naked View Post
No one ever fucked with me, except for the police.
That goes without say. Police will fuck with you no matter what, when, where or why you are doing whatever you are doing.

OP, I didn't read everyone's reply or post but can't you just stay at a friend's, get a job or find a way to make money in the meantime. I think it'd be easiest to do something when you can at least come to a carpet floor for a while. Whoever said steal food, I wouldn't unless you really had to. Jail time and parole cost money, you'll just put yourself in debt if you are stealing shit all the time. Cops don't give a fuck if you're starving, their only job is to overcompensate for their dick sizes with a maglight and gun, plus to control the poor, so you'd be giving them a perfect excuses.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Archduke

Quote:
The way I see it, I have about 17 days or so of doing this. Hopefully about half of that will be spent on various friend's couches. So I only need to hook up about 8 or 9 times this month to avoid sleeping in my car.

I'm gonna journal the next few weeks somewhere.
Why not just ask a friend if you can crash on their couch for 3 weeks until xmas?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayingerbrau View Post
A company I did some sub contracting for had their offices in self storage and one guy slept on one of those fold out chair-bed things and was doing so for quite a while. I'm not sure where he got showered but he always looked fairly clean and presentable (haircut, clean shaven, smart clothes). I asked someone about it and he'd been sleeping their for multiple months.

I doubt typical car thieves would be willing to commit a murder. I've slept in my car a few times when I haven't booked accommodation, slept in the back of a van a few times with a mattress fairly comfortable with a good sleeping bag.

I've slept in cars of various sizes, your main problem is being seen by any security/police. I once got collared by police for sleeping in a Ford Fiesta, got breathalised despite the fact I'd had nothing to drink. I told the officer I was extremely tired and simply couldn't drive any further and was miles away from home, to which they seemed OK with.

Awesome. Personally if I had to live out of a car I'd buy a gym membership for like 20 a month, hot showers, somewhere to shave/change and get a workout in. Much cheaper than a typical 500/month rent or 29/night budget hotel.

A friend of mine used the Internet to find properties that had been for sale for extended periods, then go check them out, lots of empty big properties that won't sell, unoccupied. Lived in them for a while.

Lots of Universities you could sleep at getting access to specific buildings may be harder. I've known a few people to sleep in libraries/live in libraries during revision times and not even go home.

I think he means going back to the sluts houses - certainly doable if you've got some game.

Another option is to take a job at a hotel chain - a friend of mine said staff can get free rooms if needed and one lad has been living in a hotel room for 3-4 months now for free - not bad at all really, think about it - no commuting costs, free utilities/services (internet, electric, water). You'd basically save 100% of your wage after tax.

I've considered living in a van/estate car a few times. The only things that cost a lot are rent and going out, everything else is cheap in reality. I spend fuck all on food and eat well, spend fuck all on clothes and remain warm and dry 99.99% of the time, have a small mobile phone/internet bill per month and keep a cheap car on the road. If I could reduce rent by living in a vehicle and reduce going out costs by a considerable margin, I'd save a damn fortune - but then what do I do? Stay at home and count it? Maybe spending the money that would be being saved to live inside of an actual house would be a better option as opposed to the back of a van.
I've had a couple girls I fucked the first night then offered to let me spend the night with them, but kind of unreliable imo. But if you did, you could probably stay a week or so before you wore out your welcome.

And yeah, I guess save the money to actually buy something. Plus living in a van seems like more fun.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
For those of you who lived in cars for a while...

Did you pay your car bill?
If so, where did they send it?
This type of thing seems like the biggest challenge to being homeless. You apply for a job or do anything and people want an address. I guess you could use friends, family, p.o. box maybe (just realized those require proof of address I think though.)
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Count

FACT : Water levels in sewers rarely go over 1/3 of their height [refer to pix]

so you just need to board up the other 2/3 and seal them with some sealant and there you go .... your own place.

Electricity can be had by hooking wires up light fixtures etc etc. A/c can be scavenged and the only problem seems to be only drinking/running water.

I have always have this kind of weird fantasy to make my living place in the sewer after watching some early episodes of ninja turtles .... before it got all gayed up.

good luck.

if your reading this shit .... then your the resistance ...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Marquis

So I'm checked out of my hotel, and on day one of this. Going to a bar known for slutty girls tonight, so hopefully score there. Got my car all situated so that it doesn't look like I'm living out of, which is good for a lot of reasons. It's pretty boring all day, I've been at Starbucks for the last couple of hours. I'm not worried about food, or paying my cell phone or gas. I have a job, plus I can always give plasma or sell clothes if things get dicey.

Gollum, my car is payed off, so not a concern.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshackleford420 View Post
This type of thing seems like the biggest challenge to being homeless. You apply for a job or do anything and people want an address. I guess you could use friends, family, p.o. box maybe (just realized those require proof of address I think though.)
I have homeless family members and they just use my dad's address. Myself included (I'm not homeless but at a place where I can't be reached unless I had a P.O. box, which I don't).
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Procrastination Expert

lol put your bed in the storage unit and sleep in there
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Marquis

It's in a 5x5. I have to stand it up.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Archduke

Quote:
It's in a 5x5. I have to stand it up.
Hey, if it's good enough for Bender it's damn sure good enough for you. (5:34 in the video)

Futurama.1x03-I.Roommate on Vimeo

Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFYOYO View Post
Hey, if it's good enough for Bender it's damn sure good enough for you. (5:34 in the video)

Futurama.1x03-I.Roommate on Vimeo
I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that...
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Baron

I've always thought about what I'd do in this scenario, and the first thing is to scavenge for TVs or other electronics people are throwing away, and find somewhere way out of sight or maybe build a little underground hut to at least stay warm and be able to have energy. That's #1: Privacy and some form of electricity totally out of sight.

SOME KIND of audio and visual device to keep your emotions and mind focused WILL keep people sane without food, in my belief. Technically you CAN live without food but only if your life is so focused on other activities and you are super fitness focused, so find some hobbies and DONT blow your dough on food. Money goes but it doesnt mean so does any means of a comfortable living situation. If you have no other option, your main interest should be in generating energy, then you can have a "home" anywhere.

Hopefully you own a laptop or some other ipad type device to put videos, books, images and music on, which you can probably go to the library for if you didn't super pirate, burn and back up everything.

To generate strong AC power, you need an inverter. The decent ones are $30, the higher ones run for $70. If you're serious, it will be the wisest investment. You plug a DC battery (like a 12v car battery, I know some people without a penny can salvage these from junkyards) or a solar panel into the inverter. Then you can run things like laptops, tvs and I think PCs off it. I don't know about space heaters or electric blankets, but with the right setup, I'm sure it's possible.

Also, by using more batteries in series (pos to neg) you can create higher voltage, while in parallel (neg to neg) you create more amps.

When it comes down to the very basics, most people have no ideas how to generate energy (to recharge the battery of course) besides either a solar panel, water/crystal/cement batteries made from basic metals, or some type of motor spun manually to create current/electric motor. I guarantee you there are other ways that will change the world but as of now I think what separates us from other planets without "homelessness" is this knowledge. Otherwise we'd mine metals, form them into disc shaped houses and be flying around nice and cozy, planet to planet. Some people do have a lot of understanding though, just not me or most of us.

I also saw a video of a man who used a small pulse from the DC battery to temporarily power a car alternator which has electromagnets in it that spin past coil when you spin a wheel. He had it hooked up to a mountain bike mounted stationary style, which produced a lot of current because when the wheel spins alone, it is still producing current. Charge up your battery, run your laptop as well, good to go, he powered a blender in the video.

I wish you good luck man. If youre still in school youre young enough to have a lot of energy and want to do something with it. Dont wind up in jail, because believe me cops are a bunch of pussies that believe they're warriors in a videogame or something. The system is unjust and being there is like feeling you have been disowned and forgotten by the world and are "stuck" inside stone walls accidentally. The money system itself has SO many fucking loopholes and I have no faith in it, and I think EVERYONE needs to consider how stupid it is that we still have homelessness, or that we base our standard of living on keeping a consumer based economy thriving, in the days of off grid energy and internet piracy. Society needs to make efforts to get everyone electricity for at least the basics (entertainment and book/learning capability), and until you see this happen, homelessness will never end. Try to get in contact with your parents if you can. Money is a careless game, but if youre lucky enough to have loved ones, it helps.

Just dont worry so much about food as you do taking whatever it is you need out of wherever you can get it to create a "home like" atmosphere to run to JUST IN CASE. Otherwise stick to your friends, the car, and trying to find a job somehow. I think in the future way more people will totally go off grid. It's the shittyness of most peoples jobs and how easy it is to lose it all that will drive the world one day to actually create a sustainable society, which this one absolutely is not. Good luck man, take care of yourself, workout, find a way to stay occupied, and dont blow the money on food. Try to get back "into" society but to me it's an unsupportive structure at it's root, but if youre lucky enough to meet the right people and work hard, you might get a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
I have homeless family members and they just use my dad's address. Myself included (I'm not homeless but at a place where I can't be reached unless I had a P.O. box, which I don't).
Lucky bastid right here.

Let me tell ya, nothing was better than when I lived alone. Any girl I wanted over, no worries, and rent was 1.5 week's paychecks. I had it pretty good. The thing with money is it's about people, and businesses. When businesses go down, you lose a job. When people suck, you might lose a job or pray everyday you don't. I say if you're young stay at home as LONG AS YOU CAN and learn as many trades as you can, and prepare to work your whole life, but also in the mean time learn as much as you can about living WITHOUT money to be an overall "warrior" in this uncertain world.

I felt the slow chill of homelessness "coming" if I didnt move home or ditch the place, and lose the idea of high paying temp jobs being worth shit once and for all. I'm glad I did, but man there's SO MANY people who do not consider the value of off grid energy, at least to have even if you are paying rent. For tough times, for emergencies, or whatever. The more you know how to do without others help in this world, the more equipped you are to help yourself and others.

Last edited by -Fuck-; 12-12-2012 at 04:20 AM.
rustyshackleford420 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fuck- View Post
I say if you're young stay at home as LONG AS YOU CAN and learn as many trades as you can, and prepare to work your whole life, but also in the mean time learn as much as you can about living WITHOUT money to be an overall "warrior" in this uncertain world.
If you and OP are from the U.S. and between the age 16-25 perhaps try the Job Corps. It's like college but they pay you, you live at a dorm and you learn trades... Not worthless shit like liberal arts and gender studies. Guessing from things said, I'd bet you're probably over the age limit though.

Anyways, I thought of that because that's exactly what I'm doing. Living with a parent and once I get court shit figured out (fines and such, gotta take care of them first, pain in the ass) I am going to learn as many trades as I can there.

Last edited by Ironclad; 12-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Marquis

Wow the point if this topic is just sailing over people's heads. I have a job and a car and money. I'm just looking to live without a permanent residence for a few weeks...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,135 Posts

No disrespect but, lmfao.. a few weeks? Nigga, I fucking have blacked out for weeks and I used to live on the fucking street, and this is some bullshit. Living out of a car is pretty fucking kushy compared to what it could be my nigga. I've done that as well, until I went to prison and car was impounded.

It's not like that anymore, and I've yet to update my adventure thread, but on the cool, when you've been down to just the clothes on your back at least 3 times, then come ask for some advice. Otherwise, go experience it for yourself.

I mean come on man, a job and a car? The fuck? I equate this to faggots who did 2 nights in city jail over a fucking ticket and think they are hard.

Don't get it misconstrued, I'm not proud of any part of that time of my life, but I'm just keepin' it real.
beefymcmanstick (12-13-2012), BrainSurgeon (12-13-2012)