Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Society > Religion and Spirituality

Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Banned

Frown I can't accept death.

I just can't do it.

Am I supposed to live my entire life distracting myself from the fact that one day I'm going to cease to exist?

Why do we work? Why do we have fun? Why do we do anything?

It's all.. meaningless. I could go around killing people or I could live like Mother Teresa and the outcome would be exactly the same. I'll be fucking dead.

TL;DR - I don't know what to do with myself.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Knight

Default Re: I can't accept death.

You must accept it...it's life, dude!
Duke Zion (02-04-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Igor Deckman

Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,721 Posts

Thou hath already accepted it, with the death of your previous account.
HampTheToker (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Banned

Placate me, people.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Marquis

I know the feeling. That's why the entertainment industry is so huge. Most of what we do is a distraction to make us forgot that one day we'll be dead. Religions are to comfort us by giving us something to look forward to and make death less mysterious, also probably helps to keep order. I have more to say but I'm on my phone. Do what makes you happy because as far as we know we only have one life. Go travel and see/experience nature and other cultures.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Loki

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,648 Posts

Meaninglessness is empowering as you are free to create and assign your own arbitrary meaning and value in your life.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 AM
welcome to the machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esker View Post
I just can't do it.

Am I supposed to live my entire life distracting myself from the fact that one day I'm going to cease to exist?
That's pretty much what everyone does, yes. Although there is more emphasis on the "distraction" part of it, as a lot of people (myself included) don't think about death on a regular basis.

Quote:
If I knew the answer to that, I would definitely be in a different place than I am right now. Here's a hint, though:

Literally no one has any idea whatsoever about what we're here for for sure. The thing is, you know as much as I and the rest of the world. Nothing is certain. This means that whatever you believe to be the meaning for life, the reason why we're here, no one can tell you that it's wrong, because they don't know any better themselves. No one does. That why I think it's so cool.

Quote:
It's all.. meaningless. I could go around killing people or I could live like Mother Teresa and the outcome would be exactly the same. I'll be fucking dead.
Yes, you got it.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Shinin Ho

You obviously havent really lived. Im not denying anything you said, but once you have had a few near death experiences you will appreciate your life and the ones around you much more.

And im not talking about shit like "OMgZZ I liek almost got in a car accident!!1Oneone!!!!".

I dont know much about you but you probably dont get out much. Quit barricading yourself in your room/basement and get the fuck out. Meet some people, do some crazy (but reasonable) stuff, and live your mother fucking life. Im not trying to be an asshole, but ive seen and talked to plenty like you.

To me I am living in the moment. Of course I have my future moooostly planned out, but for the most part I live day by day.

Most everyone has the same realization in some way, shape, or form. So quit being a whiny little faggot about it, accept the fact, and move on. Its worse than staying hung up on a stupid girlfriend.

Again, im not trying to be an asshole, but people cant get through to you guys with the fluffy sugarcoated advice.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Duke

Quote:
This means that whatever you believe to be the meaning for life, the reason why we're here, no one can tell you that it's wrong, because they don't know any better themselves. No one does. That why I think it's so cool.
If a person's reason for being here is to sleep, mate, eat, and defend his territory--then it's up to that person to be an animal, and nobody can tell them that it's wrong; still, we do not usually say that such people have truly lived and there is usually very little of substance about these people.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 AM
welcome to the machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshanin View Post
If a person's reason for being here is to sleep, mate, eat, and defend his territory--then it's up to that person to be an animal, and nobody can tell them that it's wrong; still, we do not usually say that such people have truly lived and there is usually very little of substance about these people.
"We" do not say that such people have "truly lived"? Who is "we" and what do you mean by "truly lived"?

You mean "have adventures?" At which point does a person of "very little substance" become someone who has "truly lived?" After 10 adventures? After 20?

Just because someone is living life in a way that you disagree with, doesn't mean they haven't "truly lived" or are of little substance, objectively. To you, yes, sure, but you're being judgemental and looking down on people who are different than you.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscuredByClouds View Post
"We" do not say that such people have "truly lived"? Who is "we" and what do you mean by "truly lived"?

You mean "have adventures?" At which point does a person of "very little substance" become someone who has "truly lived?" After 10 adventures? After 20?

Just because someone is living life in a way that you disagree with, doesn't mean they haven't "truly lived" or are of little substance, objectively. To you, yes, sure, but you're being judgemental and looking down on people who are different than you.
It's not about adventures at all; you cannot say what it is that is meaningful but that doesn't mean that others can't come to a consensus. The consensus is that we are reborn and are here to learn why this happened to us; of course, this totally screws up your convenient worldview but it is based in the experiences of many people and the recorded evidence.

Quote:
[An intelligent man] knows that he is dying at every second and that the final touch will be given as soon as his term of life is finished. He therefore prepares himself for the next life or for liberation from the disease of repeated birth and death.
A foolish man, however, does not know that this human form of life is obtained after a series of births and deaths imposed in the past by the laws of nature. He does not know that a living entity is an eternal being, who has no birth and death. Birth, death, old age, and disease are external impositions on a living entity and are due to his contact with material nature and to his forgetfulness of his eternal, godly nature and qualitative oneness with the Absolute Whole.
Human life provides the opportunity to know this eternal fact, or truth. Thus the very beginning of the Vedänta-sütra advises that because we have this valuable form of human life, it is our duty-now-to inquire, What is Brahman, the Absolute Truth?
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
ObscuredByClouds (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 AM
welcome to the machine

Quote:
It's not about adventures at all; you cannot say what it is that is meaningful but that doesn't mean that others can't come to a consensus. The consensus is that we are reborn and are here to learn why this happened to us; of course, this totally screws up your convenient worldview but it is based in the experiences of many people and the recorded evidence.
I didn't think about it like that, that's actually really cool. Where is that quote from?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Duke

Thumbs Up Re: I can't accept death.

Quote:
I didn't think about it like that, that's actually really cool. Where is that quote from?
http://scienceofselfrealization.com/
ObscuredByClouds (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:00 AM
Serf

I find that interesting. I have no fear of death, I'm ready for it. I'm not suicidal, but I feel like I've had a full and satisfying life. I've traveled a lot, raised children to adulthood, loved and been loved, have had many (MANY!) interesting experiences - enough for a lifetime.

I'm happy, but if I knew I was going to die tomorrow, I wouldn't be concerned about it. It'd be kind of nice to have a head's up and be able to put your affairs in order before you go.
Unspell (02-05-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Serf

You dont need to accept death, he will get you in the end regardless....
Old 02-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Joint Chief of Soul

Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 501 Posts

There was a time in my life where I embraced it, hell, even challenged it. I'd like death to keep its distance for now though.
HMC (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 AM
Loki

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMC View Post
You obviously havent really lived. Im not denying anything you said, but once you have had a few near death experiences you will appreciate your life and the ones around you much more.
Speak for yourself.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 AM
Duke

But death accepts you.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Send a message via AIM to Jim Strongcock Send a message via MSN to Jim Strongcock

Quote:
I just can't do it.

Dude, you need to accept that it will happen, then forget about it and do exactly what you god damn feel like. It's just wasting time the best way possible until all that time runs out. It will happen whether you like it or not.

If you can't change it, why be bitter about it? Now apply that thought to everything in life. It's like when you know you're fucked. What good does it do to be negative about it? It's happening. You just have to take it. Make that shit positive.

Oh, and there's probably something in you mind about the "Past". Yeah, fuck all that too. Why worry about the past? That already happened. Fuck it.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 AM
Shinin Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by &Zenith View Post
Speak for yourself.
It da truff.

Seriously, all the emo faggy kids are the ones who got all the video games they wanted and cars when they were 16. Hipster douche fags are the grown up version, which will eventually lead to heroin addicts who give rimjobs for money.

Most of the people who post FML anything are the ones who never had ANY bumps or curves in their lives. The ones who have been through shit are the ones that are more humble and overall much happier with their lives.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Selfish Cunt

Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,598 Posts

you seriously need to murder/suicide. you know what they say, the best way to deal with your fears are to confront them. murder/suicide dude, murder/suicide. you know it makes sense.

"I have gone through the mental exercise of spending a lifetime in prison and of dying for this cause. I have let the fear pass through me and with clarity commit myself fully to the mission and values outlined in the Silk Road charter". - DPR
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 AM
LongDickHipHopPerfection

Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,412 Posts

Death accepts us all, whether we accept him or not.

This is the problem with our generation, we've realized that the only thing waiting on the other side is oblivion but aren't technologically advanced enough to do anything about that yet.
Blunderstar (02-03-2013), Zanick (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Sméagol

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,425 Posts

Death will come anyway. You can postpone, not stop it.

Ironically, stressing about death enough will lead to health problems that may bring it sooner.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
cunt

Thanked 1,122 Times in 843 Posts

The best time to think about it is when you're alone in bed. Just think, "i will die, and the chances are i'll be all alone".

Trust me this will make you feel better.
I Kill Null Airtime (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
A Light Shining in Darkness

Thanked 1,108 Times in 815 Posts
Grin Re: I can't accept death.

Quote:
Do this: When you're tired, sleep. When you're hungry, eat.

Know this: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.

Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure

Change: Know that nothing stays the same.
aZerOne (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Life is not linear, we only perceive time that way, view Life from another angle and maybe it will help you with your fear of death. You weren't scared before you were born, infact I bet you were pissed as hell when you popped out of that vag all cryin, cold and shit..

Quote:
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”

What if after you die, that's when "Life" Really begins?

Quote:
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.

Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.

Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Selfish Cunt

Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,598 Posts

knowing that when i die the whole universe and everything in it will cease to exist helps me face the fact that i will die.

"I have gone through the mental exercise of spending a lifetime in prison and of dying for this cause. I have let the fear pass through me and with clarity commit myself fully to the mission and values outlined in the Silk Road charter". - DPR
Old 02-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Procrastination Expert

embrace oblivion, we must all go there eventually
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM
cunt

Thanked 1,122 Times in 843 Posts

Until you accept that one day you will die you will never truly be free
Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Strongcock View Post
Dude, you need to accept that it will happen, then forget about it and do exactly what you god damn feel like. It will happen whether you like it or not.

It's happening. You just have to take it.

That's not true. A valid study and practice of inedia/fasting/breatharianism and experimentation with such a subject, as well as tantric sexual and fitness rituals guarantee a lifetime of health, longevity, immortality.

While you will be envied, hated and scorned by the dregs of society, like every witch, sage, or Jesus in the past, hey, after they murder you, you can try to avoid them in your next life time.

Mony Vital is a great author on immortality btw.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Rent-a-Friend: $.99/post

Prove to me that death = the cessation of existence.

There's your answer.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies everyone, unfortunately I can't officially thank posts yet, but I'll definitely make sure to do so when I hit 50 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Kill Null Airtime View Post
I know the feeling. That's why the entertainment industry is so huge. Most of what we do is a distraction to make us forgot that one day we'll be dead. Religions are to comfort us by giving us something to look forward to and make death less mysterious, also probably helps to keep order. I have more to say but I'm on my phone. Do what makes you happy because as far as we know we only have one life. Go travel and see/experience nature and other cultures.
That's what entertainment is; you watch an episode of a sitcom, you play a video game, you watch a movie, all you're doing is focusing on something other than your own life for a short period of time.

As for the God thing, I'm an Atheist, which I believe makes me stronger, because I'm self reliant and don't believe some imaginary pixie in the sky will take care of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by &Zenith View Post
Meaninglessness is empowering as you are free to create and assign your own arbitrary meaning and value in your life.
Yeah. I guess you have to find what's right for you, I think I need to get proactive about this and start giving my life meaning sometime soon.

Quote:
Literally no one has any idea whatsoever about what we're here for for sure. The thing is, you know as much as I and the rest of the world.

Quote:
Uhh thanks, but yeah, not my kinda thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p6867 View Post
Death accepts us all, whether we accept him or not.

This is the problem with our generation, we've realized that the only thing waiting on the other side is oblivion but aren't technologically advanced enough to do anything about that yet.
Very true.

I actually think that 90 percent of relgious followers (deep down) don't actually believe in God, they just use their "beliefs" to distract themselves from the futility of life.

This may sound strange, but I wish I could believe in God. I just want to bury my head in the sand and believe that death isn't really the end. Ignorance truly is bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct View Post
The best time to think about it is when you're alone in bed. Just think, "i will die, and the chances are i'll be all alone".

Trust me this will make you feel better.
Not helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meateor View Post
Prove to me that death = the cessation of existence.

There's your answer.
You're a moron.

Last edited by Esker; 02-03-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Duke

Confused Re: I can't accept death.

Quote:
You're a moron.
No seriously, what makes you think that death is the cessation of existence? It might be worth pondering what it would mean if this body was just a temporary vessel for "you".
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 AM
Baron

Hey Esker, do you think finite causes can have infinite effects?

Last edited by Nachismo; 02-04-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Grander Duke

Thanked 1,713 Times in 1,284 Posts

Its best to not think about it and find.something in life that makes u truly happy and live for yourself not other people, this way when u go u wont live with regret of wasted time.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quite a few years ago I began rethinking what the term "everlasting life" might mean. The simplest way to define it is what you pass down to others you have contact with. Right now it seems you are only considering "I". But what can you give to others, that they might give to others, that they might give to others . . .

It may be considering life lived a through current and subsequent generations that you might find meaning. (?)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Death is not a wall, it's a door. Accept and embrace it.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Baron

Because your life is a reverberation of energy and it is fascinating to learn as many things as you can while you are alive. This is the age of genetically modified genes so many of us might live a couple hundred years..
Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 AM
LongDickHipHopPerfection

Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,412 Posts

Quote:
No seriously, what makes you think that death is the cessation of existence? It might be worth pondering what it would mean if this body was just a temporary vessel for "you".
All the data we currently have is that what we call consciousness is merely our interpretation of the chemical reactions we call life. What we call consciousness is an evolutionarily selected for preservation tool of this chemical reaction that allows it to self replicate and preserve itself better. Upon the cessation of the chemical reaction, consciousness has no further function or means of sustenance.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Duke

Exclamation Re: I can't accept death.

Quote:
All the data we currently have is that what we call consciousness is merely our interpretation of the chemical reactions we call life.
This cannot be true since there is actually lots of data indicating that consciousness remains after death; who do you mean by "we" (am I included)?
Here are some data points followed by quotes from skeptics about data of this type:

NDEs are contrary to biophysical and physiological knowledge
Many recorded case studies of verifiable facts allegedly obtained from the afterlife
Quote:
Professor Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire and a fellow of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSI) has said that he agrees remote viewing has been proven using the normal standards of science, but that the bar of evidence needs to be much higher for outlandish claims that will revolutionize the world, and thus he remains unconvinced:
"I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven, but begs the question: do we need higher standards of evidence when we study the paranormal? I think we do. (...) if I said that a UFO had just landed, you'd probably want a lot more evidence. Because remote viewing is such an outlandish claim that will revolutionize [sic] the world, we need overwhelming evidence before we draw any conclusions. Right now we don't have that evidence." Richard Wiseman Daily Mail, January 28, 2008, pp 28-29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing
In fact, Professor Wiseman was speaking about more than simply remote viewing. In this clarification he explains that he was also referring to Ganzfeld experiments and other forms of ESP.
Quote:
Skeptic Ray Hyman in his 1995 article "Evaluation of Program on Anomalous Mental Phenomena" admits that the results of remote viewing and Ganzfeld experiments have demonstrated statistically significant effects. However, he implies there could be unknown methodological flaws in the experiments. This demonstrates a double standard because in no other field of science would a positive experimental result be criticized because there might be sources of errors that no one can think of. It is impossible for any scientist to defend his work against that type of criticism.
You will have to tell me what you mean by "no data" since there is so much data that skeptical people admit there is enough data.
Quote:
back in 1951 psychologist Donald Hebb wrote this:
"Why do we not accept ESP as a psychological fact? Rhine has offered enough evidence to have convinced us on almost any other issue... Personally, I do not accept ESP for a moment, because it does not make sense. My external criteria, both of physics and of physiology, say that ESP is not a fact despite the behavioral evidence that has been reported. I cannot see what other basis my colleagues have for rejecting it... Rhine may still turn out to be right, improbable as I think that is, and my own rejection of his view is -- in the literal sense -- prejudice."

Quote:
What we call consciousness is an evolutionarily selected for preservation tool of this chemical reaction that allows it to self replicate and preserve itself better. Upon the cessation of the chemical reaction, consciousness has no further function or means of sustenance.
You can find the above quotes here:
https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8...l_misdirection
Maybe the thesis you posted is reasonable, but what does it say about the data presented above? Saying that there is no data is equivalent to saying one prefers to ignore empirical evidence when it conflicts with one's beliefs.

Quote:
If, then, parapsychology and modern science are incompatible, why not reject parapsychology? ...The choice is between believing in something "truly revolutionary" and "radically contradictory to contemporary thought" and believing in the occurrence of fraud and self-delusion. Which is more reasonable?
Fortunately, science is trying to catch up; even if this is only due to other considerations: Just recently researchers reintroduced a mechanism for the persistence of consciousness involving QM:
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/qua...-1226507452687