Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > This Just In!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Grand Duke

Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,186 Posts
Exclamation Massive blackout drill planned for November 13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
WASHINGTON — The electric grid, as government and private experts describe it, is the glass jaw of American industry. If an adversary lands a knockout blow, they fear, it could black out vast areas of the continent for weeks; interrupt supplies of water, gasoline, diesel fuel and fresh food; shut down communications; and create disruptions of a scale that was only hinted at by Hurricane Sandy and the attacks of Sept. 11.

This is why thousands of utility workers, business executives, National Guard officers, F.B.I. antiterrorism experts and officials from government agencies in the United States, Canada and Mexico are preparing for an emergency drill in November that will simulate physical attacks and cyberattacks that could take down large sections of the power grid.

They will practice for a crisis unlike anything the real grid has ever seen, and more than 150 companies and organizations have signed up to participate.

“This is different from a hurricane that hits X, Y and Z counties in the Southeast and they have a loss of power for three or four days,” said the official in charge of the drill, Brian M. Harrell of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, known as NERC. “We really want to go beyond that.”

One goal of the drill, called GridEx II, is to explore how governments would react as the loss of the grid crippled the supply chain for everyday necessities.

“If we fail at electricity, we’re going to fail miserably,” Curt Hébert, a former chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, said at a recent conference held by the Bipartisan Policy Center.

Mr. Harrell said that previous exercises were based on the expectation that electricity “would be up and running relatively quick” after an attack.

Now, he said, the goal is to “educate the federal government on what their expectations should or shouldn’t be.” The industry held a smaller exercise two years ago in which 75 utilities, companies and agencies participated, but this one will be vastly expanded and will be carried out in a more anxious mood.

Most of the participants will join the exercise from their workplaces, with NERC, in Washington, announcing successive failures. One example, organizers say, is a substation break-in that officials initially think is an attempt to steal copper. But instead, the intruder uses a USB drive to upload a virus into a computer network.

The drill is part of a give-and-take in the past few years between the government and utilities that has exposed the difficulties of securing the electric system.

The grid is essential for almost everything, but it is mostly controlled by investor-owned companies or municipal or regional agencies. Ninety-nine percent of military facilities rely on commercial power, according to the White House.

The utilities play down their abilities, in comparison with the government’s. “They have the intelligence operation, the standing army, the three-letter agencies,” said Scott Aaronson, senior director of national security policy at the Edison Electric Institute, the trade association of investor-owned utilities. “We have the grid operations expertise.”

That expertise involves running 5,800 major power plants and 450,000 miles of high-voltage transmission lines, monitored and controlled by a staggering mix of devices installed over decades. Some utilities use their own antique computer protocols and are probably safe from hacking — what the industry calls “security through obscurity.”

But others rely on Windows-based control systems that are common to many industries. Some of them run on in-house networks, but computer security experts say they are not confident that all the connections to the public Internet have been discovered and secured. Many may be vulnerable to software — known as malware — that can disable the systems or destroy their ability to communicate, leaving their human operators blind about the positions of switches, the flows of current and other critical parameters. Experts say a sophisticated hacker could also damage hard-to-replace equipment.

In an effort to draw utilities and the government closer, the industry recently established the Electricity Sub-Sector Coordinating Council, made up of high-level executives, to meet with federal officials. The first session is next month.

Preparation for the November drill comes as Congress is debating laws that could impose new standards to protect the grid from cyberattacks, but many in the industry, some of whom would like such rules, doubt that they can pass.

The drill is also being planned as conferences, studies and even works of fiction are raising near-apocalyptic visions of catastrophes involving the grid.

A National Academy of Sciences report last year said that terrorists could cause broad hardship for months with physical attacks on hard-to-replace components. An emerging effort led in part by R. James Woolsey, a former director of the Central Intelligence Agency, is gearing up to pressure state legislatures to force utilities to protect equipment against an electromagnetic pulse, which could come from solar activity or be caused by small nuclear weapons exploded at low altitude, frying crucial components.

An attack using an electromagnetic pulse is laid out in extensive detail in the novel “One Second After,” published in 2009 and endorsed by Newt Gingrich. In another novel, “Gridlock,” published this summer and co-written by Byron L. Dorgan, the former senator from North Dakota, a rogue Russian agent working for Venezuela and Iran helps hackers threaten the grid. In the preface, Mr. Dorgan says such an attack could cause 10,000 times as much devastation as the terrorists’ strikes on Sept. 11, 2001.

Despite the growing anxiety, the government and the private sector have had trouble coordinating their grid protection efforts. The utility industry argues that the government has extensive information on threats but keeps it classified. Government officials concede the problem, and they have suggested that some utility executives get security clearances. But with hundreds of utilities and thousands of executives, it cannot issue such clearances fast enough. And the industry would like to be instantly warned when the government identifies Internet servers that are known to be sources of malware.

Another problem is that the electric system is so tightly integrated that a collapse in one spot, whether by error or intent, can set off a cascade, as happened in August 2003, when a power failure took a few moments to spread from Detroit to New York.

Sometimes utility engineers and law enforcement officials also seem to speak different languages. In his book “Protecting Industrial Control Systems From Electronic Threats,” Joseph Weiss, an engineer and cybersecurity expert, recounted a meeting between electrical engineers and the F.B.I. in 2008. When an F.B.I. official spoke at length about I.E.D.’s, he was referring to improvised explosive devices, but to the engineers the abbreviation meant intelligent electronic devices.

And experts fear government-sponsored hacking. Michael V. Hayden, another former C.I.A. director, speaking at the Bipartisan Policy Center conference, said that the Stuxnet virus, which disabled some of Iran’s centrifuges for enriching uranium, might invite retaliation.

“In a time of peace, someone just used a cyberweapon to destroy another nation’s critical infrastructure,” he said. “Ouch.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/17/us...pagewanted=all

http://www.spp.org/publications/13%2...13%29%20V2.pdf
Old 09-09-2013, 03:20 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Massive blackout drill planned for November 13-14

And of course conspiracy theorists nutjobs are on this.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...o-2757208.html

This is actually a good thing. The government will be better prepared to deal with these types of situations more effectively.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Cory (09-09-2013), TheRascalKing (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,476 Times in 988 Posts

Remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

Fucking Ohio
Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 AM
Grand Duke

Arrow Re: Massive blackout drill planned for November 13-14

"unpruned foliage"

Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 AM
Marquis

so basically the only way to shut us out from the internet is to turn the power off.

once we are disconnected they will attack syria.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:00 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze View Post
so basically the only way to shut us out from the internet is to turn the power off.

once we are disconnected they will attack syria.
and if this were even true, itd be a bad thing... because why exactly?
you know what those heartless fucks are doing over there right?
burn the government and get the fuck out and i have no problem with it.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 AM
Grandest Duke

Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dephdiddy View Post
Being framed by the US?

http://zoklet.net/bbs/showpost.php?p=2252485&postcount=34 - Where My Avatar Came From
http://bbs.zoklet.net/bbs/showpost.php?p=4601933&postcount=142 - Myers Being A Faggot
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Marquis

Rant Re: Massive blackout drill planned for November 13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dephdiddy View Post
honestly since I live in the united states, i would NOT care if they bombed millions of people in other countries and they died and there was absolutely zero chance of retaliation towards us.

I do not know them so I feel absolutely no emotional attachment.

It would just be another fucking day, with the addition of some entertainment in the media.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 AM
The Belbet Bog

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,340 Posts

So is this being like majorly covered through the media? I know, I know... the NY Times. But if this is as big as they say, shouldn't we be hearing about it every direction we look? I'm not sure I completely understand. Which areas will be affected and for how long?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 AM
Sméagol

Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,692 Posts

The thing about Syria is that the USA is not a cop employed by earth so we shouldn't really be giving a fuck what Syria does within their borders. And if you live in the USA you really should give a fuck about your governments actions. I could give less of a shit about their lives too but I do care that we are getting involved in more wars for no reason. I know people in the military, I don't want to see them shipped off to buttfuckistan.

That said, this drill sounds badass. Hope my area doesn't get fucked up.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 AM
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
The thing about Syria is that the USA is not a cop employed by earth so we shouldn't really be giving a fuck what Syria does within their borders. And if you live in the USA you really should give a fuck about your governments actions. I could give less of a shit about their lives too but I do care that we are getting involved in more wars for no reason. I know people in the military, I don't want to see them shipped off to buttfuckistan.

Gollum, you got it fucked up.

The thing about syria is... United states doesn't give two fucks if they're killing their own citizens. They're just doing the U.S.'s job.

They want to invade syria to provoke iran.
Iran has a mutual defense agreement with syria so they would be forced to defend, thus bringing iran into the situation and granting US right to attack iran.

Iran is the real issue, since they are developing nukes. EMP is the greatest threat to america and a nuke is basically an EMP. They want to fucking annihilate iran and i don't blame them, why risk having an enemy be able to shut down our entire infrastructure?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 AM
The Belbet Bog

Quote:

What about the whole thing about the US having the means and resources to help countries who need it? If Obama were killing civilians in broad daylight and starving his citizens, wouldn't you like a better country to come help out? It's a round world last time I checked. Helping others in need. You know.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 AM
The Belbet Bog

And what about this thing I just read?

Quote:
Ludicrous. We have seen what happens in just a few hours when an areas grid is down, especially in certain “poor economic” areas. The death toll of people on life support, oxygen, the elderly without heat, emergency services stalled and overwhelmed, hospitals, spoiled foods, house fires from burning candles and lanterns, asphyxiation from burning a fire and/or charcoal in homes……etc.
That's very true. I highly doubt anything like this will actually happen.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Sméagol

Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,692 Posts

Quote:
Gollum, you got it fucked up.

The thing about syria is... United states doesn't give two fucks if they're killing their own citizens. They're just doing the U.S.'s job.

They want to invade syria to provoke iran.
Iran has a mutual defense agreement with syria so they would be forced to defend, thus bringing iran into the situation and granting US right to attack iran.

Iran is the real issue, since they are developing nukes. EMP is the greatest threat to america and a nuke is basically an EMP. They want to fucking annihilate iran and i don't blame them, why risk having an enemy be able to shut down our entire infrastructure?
*puts on tinfoil hat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleybob View Post
What about the whole thing about the US having the means and resources to help countries who need it? If Obama were killing civilians in broad daylight and starving his citizens, wouldn't you like a better country to come help out? It's a round world last time I checked. Helping others in need. You know.
Who cares? Let's help poverty or hunger or education efforts but war? War is another issue. If people want their civil war, let em have it. War is not in the interest of the philanthropist.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 AM
Count

Quote:
honestly since I live in the united states, i would NOT care if they bombed millions of people in other countries and they died and there was absolutely zero chance of retaliation towards us.

I do not know them so I feel absolutely no emotional attachment.

It would just be another fucking day, with the addition of some entertainment in the media.
oh yeah, a psychopath on the internet. original.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM
The Belbet Bog

Quote:
And what about this thing I just read?
Quote:
Ludicrous. We have seen what happens in just a few hours when an areas grid is down, especially in certain “poor economic” areas. The death toll of people on life support, oxygen, the elderly without heat, emergency services stalled and overwhelmed, hospitals, spoiled foods, house fires from burning candles and lanterns, asphyxiation from burning a fire and/or charcoal in homes……etc.
Anyone? Any thoughts?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Serf

Quote:
please tell me.....what fictional "better country" is going to come to our rescue in the future??? you're in fucking dream land dude! most countries hate of because of our fucked up policies that most americans don't agree with.

there is no reason for us to go stepping in goddamn Syria problems...I can see it now, obama will say, this is necessary to our freedom, and it will just take a few weeks to set things right and help the Syrian people....next thing you know..we'll be in a full scale war over there, then move on to Iran.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 PM
The Belbet Bog

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1911 View Post
please tell me.....what fictional "better country" is going to come to our rescue in the future??? you're in fucking dream land dude! most countries hate of because of our fucked up policies that most americans don't agree with.

there is no reason for us to go stepping in goddamn Syria problems...I can see it now, obama will say, this is necessary to our freedom, and it will just take a few weeks to set things right and help the Syrian people....next thing you know..we'll be in a full scale war over there, then move on to Iran.
I was speaking in hypothetical terms, "dude"
Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Knight

does he now how cold it is in northern maine in november, fuck that half monkey.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 PM
The Belbet Bog

That's what I was saying earlier... nobody else has any thoughts on those kinds of implications? People on life support, elderly people with no heat in mid-November, etc.?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Duke

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to raise up that false flag.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Grand Duke

Send a message via AIM to Clover Send a message via MSN to Clover

Quote:

We say its because we cant allow them to kill their own people yet we kill all kinds of people every day with drone strikes. The hypocracy is almost too much.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Everyone knows that whenever obama drops a bomb the explosion yields confetti, puppy dogs and candy. We HAVE to bomb syria to show the world how loving and peaceful we are. Geez.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 AM
Knight

Quote:
That's what I was saying earlier... nobody else has any thoughts on those kinds of implications? People on life support, elderly people with no heat in mid-November, etc.?
It's a simulated drill. Each company is given various scenarios, which they have to respond to based on current setups, and see what the damage would be. The idea is that they would find any major weak spots and create solutions to improve until they are confident that they can get their businesses up and running again as fast as possible. No service means no checks. The CDC did something like this a few years ago.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:08 AM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,976 Times in 2,061 Posts

u guis might be stupid but i simply refuse to believe that yall believe theyre actually turning the lights out
Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Grand Duke

Exclamation Re: Massive blackout drill planned for November 13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pat-Man View Post
u guis might be stupid but i simply refuse to believe that yall believe theyre actually turning the lights out
Shut the fuck up.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,601 Posts

They could be setting up for the next false flag attack on America in hopes of starting the civil war they've been after.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Grander Duke

Thanked 2,976 Times in 2,061 Posts

that sherms getting to your mind brah u gettin paranoid