Resident Evil: Code Veronica 5 10.42%
Resident Evil 0 2 4.17%
Resident Evil 4 (any version) 17 35.42%
Resident Evil 5 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

Default Favourite Resident Evil Game

Besides the faggy survivor games etc. Just sticking to the main series.

Personally I would say Resident Evil 2. It was just perfection. Great setting, great gameplay, cool characters and an excellent storyline. Resident Evil 4 was awesome on the Wii. I am yet to play 5. Resident Evil 1 will always hold a special place in my heart, I have completed the impossible mode on Gamecube and have played the Sega Saturn, PS1, Gamecube and DS versions of it.

But yeah Resident Evil 2
Old 06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Diz-Buster

Default Re: Favourite Resident Evil Game

RE4, because it enough of an action approach that it really appealed to me. Sure, the first couple playthroughs really sucked not having enough ammo, but once you got your feet wet it was thoroughly enjoyable. The inclusion of Mercenaries was great too.

Code Veronica deserves an honorable mention because it was what really got me into Resident Evil.

And RE5 just sucked nuts.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 1,720 Times in 1,059 Posts
Thumbs Up Re: Favourite Resident Evil Game

RE1 or RE2.

I'd say RE1, but it is very subjective - it is the first 3d (I really didn't notice it being 2.5d back in the day) game with a developed story-line, developed characters and well-done atmosphere that I played. Not to mention, that I was going "fuckyeahawesome" at the intro video (Shame no games do it these days), was scared shitless at the introduction of the first zombie (I was around 9 at the time, lol), and the characters felt so real (my personal favourite was Rebecca - the bit where she learns to play "Moonlight Sonata" was priceless!). Chris Redfield was my role model at the time.

Surprisingly enough, I only managed to beat RE1 after I completed RE2 - I was stuck at the bit where you had two books that you had to "open" to find medallions inside - I had no idea you could do that, and finally solved it by pure accident.

Objectively? I would say RE2 was the best. RE3 looked damn good though for a PS1 game - they really did well with the pre-rendered graphics idea.

Last edited by Agent 008; 06-10-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Angry Blue Bird of Death

Resident Evil 2, and with RE:3 as a close second.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Baron

Code Veronica did it for me, I feel like it was the last true survival horror RE and it explained a ton in the RE plot line
Old 06-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Marquis

Nemisis imo
Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Count

Re4 > re2 > re1 > re3 > re5.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

On the topic of Resident Evil a few years back my friend claimed to have a friend who had a burnt a copy of playable parts of Resident Evil 1.5. I've never seen PS Roms for it but I have seen them mentioned. Any truth to this?

Resident Evil 1.5 was an earlier version of Resident Evil 2. They had almost completed the game and decided to scrap it and start over as they were not satisfied with it.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM

REMAKE for Gamecube. It completely revamps the original and it does it well. Honestly, the gamecube remake is quite possible the best videogame remake at this point in time. I remember the day it came out, I was in fucking awe when I started playing it.

It is just so awesome. I wish they would HD-ify the game and add some AA, it still holds up very well.

Last edited by DEADBEATDAD; 06-10-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Count

Send a message via AIM to Dream of the iris Send a message via MSN to Dream of the iris

@ RE4 lovers.

No fucking story.

1 and 2 best in the series.

See you in Home - or along the way.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Marquis

I got into the games with Resident Evil Zero for Gamecube. That's probably my favourite one. Then RE, RE2, and Nemesis. I've been disappointed with RE ever since 4. It's just not scary anymore.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADBEATDAD View Post
REMAKE for Gamecube. It completely revamps the original and it does it well. Honestly, the gamecube remake is quite possible the best videogame remake at this point in time. I remember the day it came out, I was in fucking awe when I started playing it.

It is just so awesome. I wish they would HD-ify the game and add some AA, it still holds up very well.
When I saw the first screenshots of RE:remake in a magazine I was literally drooling.

Scariest RE moment everyone?

For me when that fucking licker jumps through the mirrored interrogation room on RE2 that fucking shit almost gave me a heart attack - completely caught me by surprise.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Diz-Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by asians make me sick View Post
Playing Resident Evil for the first time, on Code Veronica. The very first part of the game has you going from a cemetary into this military barracks-esque scene. Two zombies burst through the window, two come from the hallway that I just walked through, and another one comes out of the door in front of me. I was like, "FUCK!"

And shut off the game.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Marquis

Running from Hunters and Giant god damn Spiders.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Dream of the iris (06-10-2009)
Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Serf

its hard to judge games that are old to the new ones.

I remember when resident evil 1 came out on PC i had to buy a new video card in my computer just to run it and its a game i will NEVER forget and i have a shitty memory.

I have played all of them and dont remember anything about 2 or 3. I do remember 4 kicked ass and was full of action. But my vote goes for the first one. Maybe cause i was younger and it was so awesome to me back then but i think its there best one. great story.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Count

Send a message via AIM to Dream of the iris Send a message via MSN to Dream of the iris

I thought the first one was boring as hell the first time I played it. I beat the second one before the first, then I went back to the first and fell in love with it.

Scariest moment in the series: Mr. X punching through the walls at random times during the alternative scenario of RE2.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asians make me sick View Post
When Tyrant broke through the wall in the room where you gotta light the torches on RE2. That scared the living fuck out of me. Fucking made me shit myself. I was only like 8 or 9 though. Fuck he did it twice in that area now that I think about it.

Last edited by icee weiner; 06-10-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Baron

It's a tough decision this one; much harder than the MGS poll.

I've settled on RE:4 simply because it is so epic. The game mechanics are remarkably simple to use, the story line is as camp as any zombie b-movie, and the action was intense, not to mention challenging at times.

RE:2 was also brilliant. Thinking about some of the jumps and scares in that game gives me feelings of nostalgia.

RE:1 was a worthy beginning for such a well-established franchise. The dialogue was brilliantly exemplary of '90s video game Japanese-English translation; that is so say, was terrible! Still, it's all part of the charm.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Count

"Jiggly sandwich"

God, that dialogue did suck..

Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Count

Close call between RE2 and RE4, but ultimately I went with 4.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Count

Boo @ mancannon.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Archduke

Thanked 1,041 Times in 645 Posts

It's hard to really include all of them in a ranking, because the first 5 (0, 1, 2, 3, CV) are stylistically different from the most recent 2.

I said RE4 since it was overall the most fun and exciting, but out of the old-style of RE games, the REmake for Gamecube was the best, followed closely by 2, and then RE:CV.

RE:CV had so much awesomeness in it, but I could never really get through the second half...it just felt rather tedious.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Count

RE5 really set the world on fire didn't it?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Regular

RE is fucking AWESOME..i gotta say RE5 is the best just due to to the ending...i always hated that bastard. There are also more weapons and things to unlock in #5...gives you a reason to really play more then once just for the extras and upgrades.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Count

Thumbs Down Re: Favourite Resident Evil Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnitrox View Post
RE is fucking AWESOME..i gotta say RE5 is the best just due to to the ending...i always hated that bastard. There are also more weapons and things to unlock in #5...gives you a reason to really play more then once just for the extras and upgrades.
Way to ruin it, douchebag.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Archduke

By the way, RE5 is close second to RE4. RE5 has amazing graphics, improved on RE4's combat gameplay, has a lot of stuff to unlock, and I like the chapter-select system...overall, it's definitely got enough replayability to justify its purchase. But RE4 is just a much larger, more epic game, which ultimately gives it more replayability. When I go back to play RE5...it's really just like going to replay some set-pieces I like, whereas with RE4, the entire game has something to offer.

A good analogy would be that RE4 is to RE5 as GTA:SA is to GTA4. The latter in both series is polished to the extreme, but they also lack the substance of their predecessors.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaNazi View Post
A good analogy would be that RE4 is to RE5 as GTA:SA is to GTA4. The latter in both series is polished to the extreme, but they also lack the substance of their predecessors.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Archduke

Grin Re: Favourite Resident Evil Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCannon View Post
BAAAAAAW, I'M RETARDED.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Gingervitis

Quote:
Nah, that eye-rolling was justified. As already explained in earlier threads, the core gameplay of GTA4 is improved so significantly over SA that it actually makes it better. It's more fun because of its purity. I know SA had a bunch of cool shit to do but it was all put together to sloppily to always be fun. And it had far more flaws than the recent game.

RE4 and RE5 is different. I haven't actually played RE5 proper so I can't give a full opinion of it, but I did play a brief demo of the X360 version. I can say that 1) the controls are pretty much the same if only slightly improved, and 2) the inventory system is GAY. But It certainly didn't feel like the core gameplay was significantly improved enough, mainly because RE4s gameplay was nearly flawless. In comparison, GTA: SA's gameplay was still heavily flawed. Therefore, your analogy is slightly flawed.

Cutting to the chase, RE4 ftw. RE2 comes close for its pacing and its good use of fear, but RE4 has the sweetest gameplay. I can't think of any part of the game I didn't like. Fabulous level design, simplistic yet sweet controls, the satisfyingly effective guns, lots of memorable characters and boss fights, and so much variety to the gameplay! Even the details impressed, the upgradable weapons, the logical and intuitive inventory, the wide-eyed, pulse pounding fights with dozens of aggravated villagers, plus the fresh reinvention of the series made it pure magic. I think my record for completion is a titch over 4 hours, thanks to the Chicago Typewriter and Infinite Launcher, which are sweet fucking weapons.

As far as the story is concerned, Resident Evil has always had poorly written, campy stories that came off as "charming" more than anything else. The reason why I think the older RE games feel like they have more of a story is due to its slower pace and methodical nature. The action in RE4 may have been ramped up significantly, but the silly story was still all there.

edit: 500th post. I'm a "knight" now. Yay.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Simple but Sophisticated

Anyone who cares about Resident Evil's story-lines is a retard.

RE4 definitely gets my vote.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 AM

CV imo. Even though I haven't completed it because I raged too much when I died and I didn't have the patience to replay so much.

But fuck, where I got upto, as some other guy said, it's just full of win. Really reveals a lot of the plot, can be shit scary and there's a bunch of memorable scenes and settings.

Saying all this though, I should've voted for 1... Ah well, too late - guess it's cos I played CV last :/
Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 1,720 Times in 1,059 Posts

I reckon you guys will like this:

[youtube]HrXF72A-cRQ[/youtube]

It's funny how back in the day it all made sense and was badass, but now that I watch it it just all seems so incredibly cheesy!

Good times though.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Count

Send a message via Yahoo to sexualjesus

code veronica and resident evil 1 remade for gamecube, i mean i liked RE1 on the playstation but resident evil 1 on the gamecube was just so fucking perfect, the graphics made me cum in my pants...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

i fucking hate the games
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Count

Thumbs Down Re: Favourite Resident Evil Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladieShark View Post
Anyone who cares about Resident Evil's story-lines is a retard.

RE4 definitely gets my vote.

To me, the story lines were great. If you've read the novels, they really go in depth. It's quite visual and engaging, would have been a great movie.

Story is EVERYTHING in any entertainment medium. I don't care what it is. No story (or bad story)= failed game. Story is the basis for everything and if it's bad, the entire game fails because it has no grounding to base the action off of. Sure, you can have lots of explosions and zombies and great gameplay, but if the story isn't there, I lose interest and don't care about completing the game. Which is why RE 5 is one of the worst in the series (and 3).

And CV was a great game. I'd put that in third place for me.

Last edited by Dream of the iris; 06-11-2009 at 03:18 PM.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Agent 008 (06-11-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem View Post
I reckon you guys will like this:

[youtube]HrXF72A-cRQ[/youtube]

It's funny how back in the day it all made sense and was badass, but now that I watch it it just all seems so incredibly cheesy!

Good times though.
Oh yeah, good old times.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

2, obviously.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Archduke

I hope RE6 takes things back to an urban, RE2-style setting. They could have some indoor segments, but they could also have all these awesome, outdoor, urban set-pieces. I want it to be like the Dawn of the Dead remake meets Left4Dead meets RE5 (ie. with the wild, massive mutated monsters).
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
I hope RE6 takes things back to an urban, RE2-style setting. They could have some indoor segments, but they could also have all these awesome, outdoor, urban set-pieces. I want it to be like the Dawn of the Dead remake meets Left4Dead meets RE5 (ie. with the wild, massive mutated monsters).
I'd much rather they take it back to old school Res. With puzzles, lots of story and actual zombies.
Dream of the iris (06-12-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit Of Jazz View Post
I'd much rather they take it back to old school Res. With puzzles, lots of story and actual zombies.
Fuck off.