Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 08-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Knight

Default The official auto theft thread

So, I will start by contributing a bit of info pertaining to auto theft. An uncle of mine used to steal cars, and although I don't plan on following his example, he told me a few random tips before he went on disability from his day job (union) and started collecting enough money from the government that he didn't feel the need to steal. Fucking leech.

VIN numbers are a pain in the ass, and they are etched into the frame, engine block, and possibly a few other places. However, for the BI people who want a nice ride without paying for it, your best option is sweat equity.

Steal a nice car, find another of the same year and trim level at a junkyard, and swap VIN numbers, then re-title. This is the basic idea that keeps being repeated but never really gets elaborated on- it sounds like it would work, but no one who did it is talking.

Well, my uncle did.

VIN plates are really thin. Coke can wall thin. Their rivets are very hard to duplicate. Even if you manage to find a passable set of rivets in order to drill out and re-rivet, it will still look like ass and the thin plate WILL warp unless you are amazingly lucky. Then you just have a fucked up vin plate.

The real way to do the dashboard vin plate, according to my uncle, is to grind the rivets out from underneath on both cars, then seat the replacement vin in place with quality adhesive. The rivet heads look untampered with and the illusion is complete.

Next, Lojack. Lojack can be defeated with any faraday cage or cargo container, or at least it could be back in the '90s. Now the trendy security device is a cellphone transmitter that reads and sends GPS data, and anyone with a few hundred bucks can be jamming all of those frequences after a few minutes of shopping online + shipping time.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Archduke

Default Re: The official auto theft thread

Some informative links for you;
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php
http://www.zshare.net/download/60802066be3b2026/

I posted them in another thread about car theft

Now I had an idea for getting stolen cars registered, but I can only see it happening with luck or old cars.

Go to the scrapyard and find the same model and make of the car, buy it dirt cheap, and get it all registered and then swap out the VINs and change the plates on the car. It wouldn't really be getting the car for free but it's the only way I can see you getting it registered if you wanted to keep it.

The main money just comes from stripping it and taking them to a scrapyard and getting paid for them. Works well if you're on first name terms with them, are a mechanic or taking vehicle technicianing in college, they won't suspect much and won't mind you coming and going with different parts every now and then. If you can befriend one of them to get in on the deal with you then that's better.

There's not a lot of profit with stolen cars these days. The best way is to sell a car to multiple people online, or collect deposits from different people and then be nowhere to be seen later.

If you want to get a car, the best and guaranteed way is to have the actual key by key swapping or just outright stealing it.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Archduke

shit, didn't read much of your OP lol, you pretty much just covered my VIN plan; thanks for that.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Regular

how do you block out onstar?

or is their a way they can disable the car if they notice its being driven at 4am
Old 08-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Count

Send a message via Yahoo to sexualjesus

onstar relies on cdma, which is a phone signal, so i assume the same plan applies.

the most simplest thing to do is buy a beaten up car, whether its new or old it doesnt matter, then steal one like it and swap the parts over to the car you have, this can be done more effectively with rental/car dealership cars, take one for a test drive, take the parts you need, and dont take it back.