Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Society > The Inhumane Condition

Old 11-03-2009, 03:21 AM
Archduke

Thanked 1,043 Times in 645 Posts
Default Why Do People Kill For Revenge?

Why is that when people are wronged, they seem to think that killing the person responsible is the best type of revenge.

It's probably one of the tamest forms of revenge, in reality. Once he's dead, he'll feel no pain, no suffering, no regret, no guilt...he won't feel a thing. I truly just roll my eyes and scoff when someone seeks out revenge in some movie and they just shoot the person dead. A slow torturous death would be much worse (or better, for the avenger), I suppose, but since it ends in death, it still isn't that bad in the end.

No...I think potential avengers could get a lot more mileage and pleasure out of temporary forms of vengeance that cause immediate physical pain and long-term damage. I mean, putting someone in a wheelchair for the rest of their life or scarring their face forever seems like it would be a lot more satisfying (and in many cases, more just) and than simply putting them down.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Ugly Pile of Bones

Thanked 7,236 Times in 4,539 Posts
Default Re: Why Do People Kill For Revenge?

I agree. It's better to leave a permanent mark or memory on the person deserving your revenge in order for it to suffer and remember the consequences of fucking with you.

Of course he could counter your revenge with a revenge on his own, so sometimes simply getting him out of the way is better and brings an eerie peace to your soul. So to speak.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Blunderfail (11-03-2009), Chavinist (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Archduke

Yeah I thought that as well. If someone wronged me greatly, I wouldn't want to just kill them. Maybe squirt acid on their face or kill one of their parants/close family members. However, I would only do something that extreme it if it was an 'eye for an eye' situation.

Problem?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaNazi View Post
Why is that when people are wronged, they seem to think that killing the person responsible is the best type of revenge.

It's probably one of the tamest forms of revenge, in reality. Once he's dead, he'll feel no pain, no suffering, no regret, no guilt...he won't feel a thing. I truly just roll my eyes and scoff when someone seeks out revenge in some movie and they just shoot the person dead. A slow torturous death would be much worse (or better, for the avenger), I suppose, but since it ends in death, it still isn't that bad in the end.

No...I think potential avengers could get a lot more mileage and pleasure out of temporary forms of vengeance that cause immediate physical pain and long-term damage. I mean, putting someone in a wheelchair for the rest of their life or scarring their face forever seems like it would be a lot more satisfying (and in many cases, more just) and than simply putting them down.
It's because it's the animalistic tribal mentality. If you were wronged than you don't want revenge just because it hurt your feelings alone, those hurt feelings are affecting other important areas of your life and you know this deeeeep down, so therefore the person becomes a "Threat" to your very purposes at the time. You want them out of the way under the disguise of emotionality. Sure, you may feel the emotion but subconsciously all you want is the following...

1. The sadistic pleasure of seeing them powerless in your hands.

2. You want to "kick them out of the earth" so they never get in the way again, similar to how our tribal ancestors used to shun people who got in the way of the groups progress.

3. Ego fulfillment, if your ego or alter ego self image is one that is tough or hard, then killing the offender would validate your ego and soothe your narcissistic injury.

Last edited by Chavinist; 11-03-2009 at 03:34 AM.
a giant pterodactyl (11-03-2009), Ambient (11-22-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 AM
Baron

Most people aren't that sadistic.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Regular

People aren't creative enough. Since we don't know for sure what happens when you die, it might not even be a punishment. If you die and nothing happens, you won't feel pain. If there's an afterlife, it might be a good thing. Like you said, why not hurt them emotional and physically? You could take away their will to live and they might just kill themselves. You could make them a "black sheep" within their own family or society.

On a side note, that is my basic argument against the death penalty. Sure you're getting rid of them, but is it really the best punishment? An eye for an eye isn't always the best punishment.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Mud Farmer

Attacks with acid or lye are a good way to ruin the rest of somebody's life, I can't think of a fate any worse as far as revenge goes
Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Duke

No you have to finish them to feel like the job is done. Or it will be in the back of your head. Plus you may regret it after a number of years if their still alive.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
Most people aren't that sadistic.
Which is why they don't usually do it. Deep down they are highly sadistic, social conditioning and education prevents such animalistic urges from taking over.

This is why for example there is much more violent crime in urban and inner city areas...No, it's not because "niggers are dumb", the enviorment, abuse, neglect, poor nutrition, bad schools and base living conditions and other things cause many residents of these areas (with family playing a big role) to act in primitive and animalistic ways. Niggers aren't born "dumb", a dangerous enviorment with almost no love can cause an otherwise normal IQ to drop down a good 40 points in some cases. Notice how inner city blacks are much more intelligent socially than many whites, because they were forced to rely on this kind of intelligence to survive. Inner city blacks may be violent, but a large majority of them can handle and adapt to any enviorment if it means life or death to them. A PHD doesn't matter when a bullet is flying over your head or you have nothing to eat.

The enviorment is what determines who we are. As far as "nature" we are all the same shit fundamentally. Sadism and other such words are just labels to discourage violence and cause taboo.

In other words, we're all sadistic super-predators deep down, the human race is the number 1 apex predator in the whole world. Luckily, we are also smart enough to program ourselves to make life in general more comfortable.
Ambient (11-22-2009), Cory (11-22-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Duke

I don't know why but I know when someone hits you or fucks with you and you stomp their fucking face in the ground it is a stress reliever and makes you happy.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Archduke

Mad Re: Why Do People Kill For Revenge?

I've thought a lot about this(Seriously), and I have come to this conclusion:

People are stupid.
People are pussies.

If I were to take serious revenge on someone, I would fuck them up with asbestos or something equally nasty.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Archduke

Thumbs Up Re: Why Do People Kill For Revenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavinist View Post
Which is why they don't usually do it. Deep down they are highly sadistic, social conditioning and education prevents such animalistic urges from taking over.

This is why for example there is much more violent crime in urban and inner city areas...No, it's not because "niggers are dumb", the enviorment, abuse, neglect, poor nutrition, bad schools and base living conditions and other things cause many residents of these areas (with family playing a big role) to act in primitive and animalistic ways. Niggers aren't born "dumb", a dangerous enviorment with almost no love can cause an otherwise normal IQ to drop down a good 40 points in some cases. Notice how inner city blacks are much more intelligent socially than many whites, because they were forced to rely on this kind of intelligence to survive. Inner city blacks may be violent, but a large majority of them can handle and adapt to any enviorment if it means life or death to them. A PHD doesn't matter when a bullet is flying over your head or you have nothing to eat.

The enviorment is what determines who we are. As far as "nature" we are all the same shit fundamentally. Sadism and other such words are just labels to discourage violence and cause taboo.

In other words, we're all sadistic super-predators deep down, the human race is the number 1 apex predator in the whole world. Luckily, we are also smart enough to program ourselves to make life in general more comfortable.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
FANDANGO (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
...in some movie....
How many serious IRL revenge situations do you know about?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:

What about the family's pain?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by i poop in your cereal View Post
hahaha
Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Baron

Quote:

Because even if you're scared physically and mentally your still alive, people learn to get over these things and try to live a rich and full filling life. To say burns victims and people who are in wheelchairs, are better off dead is abit silly of you isn't it.

Where as if you blow their head off, you've taken EVERYTHING away from them. In a split second and there is fuck all they can do about it.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by i poop in your cereal View Post
Are you kidding me? If anything that guy was dead on about everything. There was nothing he said that would imply that he has no idea what he's talking about. You people are just dumb 21st century kids who are victims of the "No Child Left-Behind" Act.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANDANGO View Post
Because even if you're scared physically and mentally your still alive, people learn to get over these things and try to live a rich and full filling life. To say burns victims and people who are in wheelchairs, are better off dead is abit silly of you isn't it.

Where as if you blow their head off, you've taken EVERYTHING away from them. In a split second and there is fuck all they can do about it.
You can try to dress up death with fancy rhetoric, but the end result is that the person is no longer conscious, no longer functioning, can't feel, think, or do anything. He effectively doesn't exist. Has everything been taken away from him? Sure. But he's dead, so he doesn't even know those things have been taken away, nor can he miss them.

If you think being alive is always a blessing, then quite honestly, you have NO perspective of how bad actual trauma can be.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Duke

Quote:
the end result is that the person is no longer conscious, no longer functioning, can't feel, think, or do anything.
I think that's the whole point of killing someone.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Baron

Quote:
If you think being alive is always a blessing, then quite honestly, you have NO perspective of how bad actual trauma can be.
Shut up Pizzanazi, I always thought you made some intelligent arguments but now your just being stupid.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANDANGO View Post
Shut up Pizzanazi, I always thought you made some intelligent arguments but now your just being stupid.
"Shut up." That's quite an intelligent argument, I suppose.

The notion that being dead would be a more cruel punishment than...well, just about any living punishment, is downright absurd. If you cease to exist, then you can't possibly be suffering from any loss, or regret, or pain, or punishment.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Baron

Quote:
"Shut up." That's quite an intelligent argument, I suppose.

The notion that being dead would be a more cruel punishment than...well, just about any living punishment, is downright absurd. If you cease to exist, then you can't possibly be suffering from any loss, or regret, or pain, or punishment.
Also you'll never experience, happiness, joy, love, etc...
Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,121 Posts

Probably because the act of torturing is psychologically draining to the individual doing it as well. Contrary to popular belief, we're not all detached merciless killing machines.

Also, feasibility probably figure into it as well. Going up to someone and stabbing them in the face is a lot easier than catching them, dragging them to your house and torturing them for days without other people noticing/putting a stop to it.

Last edited by Rust; 11-04-2009 at 02:24 PM.
SLOWPOKE (11-04-2009)
Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Peasant

If it's a man rape is too gay, killing and death is a part of life; it just happens to make for a permanent solution to a temporary problem. It damn sure guarantees that problem doesn't crop up again. You can eat them afterwards too.

I usually just ignore Rust's boring and long drawn out posts but that was one of his good ones (he does have a few) andit was true. When you shoot someone in the head or just hack their head off with a machete you feel the same as you did before. If there's the chance that you don't become unaffected then

"you can even subconsiously believe it didn't really happen. If you do realise it, you will feel very horrified, and apalled at capital punishment, snitches, and people talking shit and praising sentencing"- driveby.

Last edited by SLOWPOKE; 11-04-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:29 PM
New Arrival

Shit, id rather have them suffer from something i do to them then rather have them die and never be able to feel pain again...

but thats just me...
Old 11-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Archduke

Mad Re: Why Do People Kill For Revenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Better Version View Post
Are you kidding me?
No.

Quote:
If anything that guy was dead on about everything.
No.

Quote:
There was nothing he said that would imply that he has no idea what he's talking about.
The fact that pretty much everything he said was wrong heavily implies that he does not know what he's talking about.

Quote:
You people are just dumb 21st century kids who are victims of the "No Child Left-Behind" Act.
We don't have that "Act" in my country, and I was mostly top of my class anyway until I dropped out.
SLOWPOKE (11-04-2009)
Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Regular

You could rape him and beat him daily, and then blind fold them and leave them in a room with a gun and one bullet.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Count

Send a message via MSN to Raziel Send a message via Skype™ to Raziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
You could rape him and beat him daily, and then blind fold them and leave them in a room with a gun and one bullet.
Not worth the time.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Arrow Re: Why Do People Kill For Revenge?

Quote:

I don't think people do, at least not on average, or in most cases or what have you...
I think some people will jump to the conclusion either because they're thick as pig shit and lack the ability to comprehend that the punishment should fit the crime, or because they've been wronged so many times before that they're fed up with it and some day simply snaps and pull a Columbine/V-Tech.
The last reason is because those who've wronged them, have done something so bad that they're no longer perceived as real humans, but simply something that must be exterminated, the ultimate way to dominate someone is to take their life, to end them and preferably wipe them out of everyone's memory as well as remove all traces of their existence, but I guess just killing them will suffice in most cases...

Putting someone in a wheel chair for life, slicing off their face, or something similar is a pretty big step to take, and I'm sure most people would really hate having something like that done to them, but the person in question can still live their life however horrible it might be, they can still feel a warm summer breeze, love and be loved, or see a sunset (unless of course you gouge out his eyes, but you get the point) - they still have the chance to find something that makes life worth living - if you take their life, you'll have taken away everything...
Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Peasant

Hey, The Biggest Burden...
Shut up and stop making an idiot of yourself like you do in every thread. I feel sorry for you having a black mom though.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARP View Post
Putting someone in a wheel chair for life, slicing off their face, or something similar is a pretty big step to take, and I'm sure most people would really hate having something like that done to them, but the person in question can still live their life however horrible it might be, they can still feel a warm summer breeze, love and be loved, or see a sunset (unless of course you gouge out his eyes, but you get the point) - they still have the chance to find something that makes life worth living - if you take their life, you'll have taken away everything...
This is what I was trying to say to the OP.

Also If someone put me in a fuckin wheelchair or burnt my face with acid. I'd make it my mission in life to find them and open a whole can of naughty worms on their arse.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Peasant

Have you guys ever played Worms Armageddon?

If you didn't kill me I'd be home running your ass into the sea or throwing exploding sheep at you.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE View Post
Have you guys ever played Worms Armageddon?

If you didn't kill me I'd be home running your ass into the sea or throwing exploding sheep at you.
Sickest game ever for PC.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Lady Killer

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:

fixt
Old 11-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Count

because humans are fragile and stupid.
Mr. Dazed and Confused (11-22-2009)
Old 11-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Duke

To get revenge.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Duke

The purpose of revenge is to satisfy the person who has been wronged.

Whether or not the person who wronged them suffers very much is irrelevant so long as the person taking revenge is satisfied, and from what I've heard, murder is an exceptionally satisfying form of vengeance.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Baron

Send a message via MSN to Name's Taken

When they're dead you're destroying them in the mot complete and absolute way possible. If you were to just cripple them then there is a chance you may have to deal with their wheel chair bound bullshit in the future. But with murder, there is no possibility of that. They're dead, out of your life forever, unless you get haunted or someshit. There is also probably some strange sense of satisfaction knowing they're completely gone with no chance of ever returning.

Murder is also seen as one of, if not the, harshest crimes so when it's used for revenge, it would presumably have a more devastating sting.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Duke

Send a message via MSN to Ambient

'Men get arrested, dogs get put down"- Rorschace from Watchmen

Humans generally behave animalistically, and when ultimatly humanity is abandonded, they become as the old, tired, sick dog. When a human being abandones rationality, the duty of rational human beings is to attone that shell of a human being. In the case of murder, the persuit of irationality to its finality, it is an inhumane act, it is not of mans spirit, but of animal appetite. Human society has no need for animals, they must be put down according to their lowly qualification.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Count

Default Why Do People Kill For Revenge?

because my pizza is late and I have coupons