Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Regular

Lightbulb My method of Making Holograms for fakeID's / Tix / whatever

PokeMethod: (by kS)

I started trying to replicate holograms about a month ago, and it's been a pretty unsucessful journey for me. I've tried many pearlex methods, but the end result is too grainy for my provinces final holo, as well it is impossible to replicate a detailed hologram with text and images with pearlex (unless you have nanomachines to do it for you)
I started doing some experimenting of my own, and this is what i've come up with.

1) You will need to start with a holographic pokemon card. There are two kinds; 1) Has only portions holographic (ie background behind pokemon, parts of pokemon, but not whole card), and the other kind 2) the entire card, except the back is holographic. If you tilt it to the light, EVERYTHING on the front will reflect. This is the kind that you want.

2) Take a tupperware container and fill it with boiling water. Drop the card in and weigh it down with something so it's completely submerged, as the cards tend to curve up as they are processed. Put the lid on your pokebath, and wait about 2 hours, probably less but this seems to be a good time to wait.

3) Once time has passed, the edges of the card should be peeling apart. Take the card out of the water and seperate the card manually into three layers:
A: Back of the card, with pokemon logo
B: Front of the card, this is simply wax-like paper that is transparent
C: The hologram. This is an entire card-size of rainbowish hologram.
All parts will peel off easy. Throw away A & B

4) Take your hologram and dry it. It will likely be fairly warped due to the heat, so place it under a book or something and allow it to fully dry. I would reccomend doing several pokemon cards at once to make the process more efficient, although this is not nessecary.

5) Once your hologram is dry, you can take one of two routes:

ROUTE 1: Print directly onto it,
I have had mixed results playing around with my printer (not a very good one). Basically, you will want to print an 'outline' of your hologram at low opticity. YOu will want to lower your opticity because otherwise it will not reflect. This Route will only work if your hologram is silver-rainbowish, but since the hologram you extracted has a leathery-slippery texture, the ink is likely to fade/pool out so it won't look very good.

ROUTE 2: Better method, using a transparency
This is a great way to get the results you want. Print your hologram (including colors and most details) onto a transparency. Then hold over your hologram to check the results. If your state has a blue hologram, print the hologram onto transparency a bit more transparent than it is. Once you hold this over your hologram, it will be blue AND reflect at the same time, making for a very authentic hologram.

6) You will need to cut out your hologram from the holo card. Print directly onto the holocard with your printer (you may want to use scotch tape to tape the holocard onto a piece of regular paper so it runs through smoothly). YOu will NOT be printing the hologram, just the OUTLINE of it. IE If my provinces hologram is a star, i want it to look as though i had a square and made a transparent star in the middle of it, then print this onto the holographic card

7) I would reccomend investing in a magnifying glass, as it really helps. Using this and a die-cutter, firmly cut out the edge of the hologram. Be patient, especially if the design is very fine (my states hologram is a seal with about 30 spikes around the edge, spanning a bit more than a centimeter so it is very tricky.) Do not rush this, as it is imperative for your details to be exact if you want your holo to look real.

8) You can now either:
A: Die cut the transparency with the lower-opticity hologram the same shape as the holo-card
B: Simply laminate the transparency in the laminator with your teslin and holocard underneath, but below the laminate. This will make your card thicker, but it will not be as embossed at the hologram.

This should (depending on what your hologram looks like) Give you a fairly realistic design, and one step closer to making a superID

I hope you learned from this, keep the info going
Feel free to ask any questions

If anyone is looking to help me now I am looking for a link to a windows copy of PDFcenter (can't for the love of god find one lol)

Also, PM me if you are Canadian! I have more info for you!

[This war carboncopied from another forum]
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to macnolias
Default Re: My method of Making Holograms for fakeID's / Tix / whatever

Well what is and what is the point of PDFcenter if you don't mind me asking?

As far as printing... if you can get a few bucks together try researching ID printers. They can also print a hologram with whatever design you feel like putting on them. Just to warn you a good one can get quite expensive but you can turn towards ebay.

Either way this method would ultimately get you in trouble with the authority if you're ever caught with it. I'd put some sort of disclaimer on the bottom of the ID somewhere in very tiny print saying "for novelty use only".
Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnolias View Post
Well what is and what is the point of PDFcenter if you don't mind me asking?

As far as printing... if you can get a few bucks together try researching ID printers. They can also print a hologram with whatever design you feel like putting on them. Just to warn you a good one can get quite expensive but you can turn towards ebay.

Either way this method would ultimately get you in trouble with the authority if you're ever caught with it. I'd put some sort of disclaimer on the bottom of the ID somewhere in very tiny print saying "for novelty use only".
This is a fake ID thread, not a novelty thread. We're talking about making hypothetical fake IDs that would pass basic inspection by bar/clerk/etc.

Very nice tutorial, I'll have to try it out with all of those old Pokemon cards since I do not have money for a holo printer.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Regular

Yea I was going to include that in my post but didn't want to put it down at the same time. This is going to be good for those who are looking for the bar/liquor store kids that would rather be having fun than sitting at home.

An ID printer is a bit of an overkill unless you're going to start up a local enterprise with people under 21.

Also part of the reason I even responded is because I've never heard of PDFcenter???
Old 02-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Regular

Most people don't ave enough spare money to buy a printer capable of holograms or enough to front a crooked hologram buisness , where you would need thousands made
I am talking about emulating the real thing, not designing my own

Pdfcenter Is a program that can read and encode 1d ( and 2d I think) barcodes for said ids
Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Most people don't ave enough spare money to buy a printer capable of holograms or enough to front a crooked hologram buisness
Pearl ex nigger, ever heard of it?
Ideal for making holograms with a few stencils.

Old is gold, and the best way to do it is the original way with pearl ex.
Certainly cheaper anyway.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Regular

Are you blind?
Perhaps you should try reading the post before you speak
Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonym0us View Post
Are you blind?
Perhaps you should try reading the post before you speak
If you don't know how to get pearl ex mixtures right then you're a moron.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Regular

I second the moron without even knowing what pearl ex mixtures are!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:09 AM

Whoops...I retract my kudos, didn't read the "copied out" disclaimer first. Still, interesting idea.

Last edited by stdismas; 02-08-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:15 AM
Regular

Fuck
This is an incredibly detailed hologram and pearlex is too messey
There are about 5 different shades throughout the holo
Old 02-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Regular

and to STD, i did write this, I just originally posted this at bombshock and copiedpasted here

Also, trying to make a rainbow-hologram will give you shit in results (with pearlex)
Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Ah...then I reinstate my kudos. I just saw the "by kS" part and assumed you'd copied it from another person.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 PM

All you really need to do is just give a call to someone who manufactures holographic sheets. If you can be a good liar in person then, by far, set up an appointment.

This is where it gets complicated. You need to get business cards made. At least enough to give to up to 5-10 people at the company that you are going to. Make sure that you pick a company name for your "business" that sounds good, but not too good. Lets face it, if you go there saying you represent Hasbro, you're gonna get your ass kicked out really quick. But, if you go there saying you represent [Insert name here] that is a small business who makes trading cards, you might just be able to place the order. Be prepared to back up what you say and give all kinds of pointless information.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Regular

Unfortunately I don't have an excuse to need DMV holograms that say registrar of department of motor vehicles
Old 02-10-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonym0us View Post
Unfortunately I don't have an excuse to need DMV holograms that say registrar of department of motor vehicles
You don't need one. If you are resourceful enough you can find a way to make a die cutter that will cut that intricate design out of a single sheet.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 AM
New Arrival

Im thinkin about buyin somethin like this to start makin novelty ids...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fargo-Pro-L-ID-C...1|293:1|294:50

WILL THIS PRINT AUTHENTIC LOOKING IDS WITH THE HOLOGRAM?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 AM

Looks like a good buy if you got the cash, Black Bill Gates.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
New Arrival

Default The right way of doing it

-=For novelty and educational use only!=-

anonym0us,
You have the right idea, BUT you're going about it the wrong way. Simply put, why try to duplicate a hologram when you can use an original.
Let's say you're trying to make a novelty id. First, scan it and photoshop whatever you want on it (that's the obvious part). There's 3 ways you can print it out.
1. Use an Epson printer and print it out on cr-80 perforated teslin paper, punch it out, and laminate it in a 10mil matte pouch.
2. Print it out on regular teslin paper, laminate front and back with clear 10 mil laminant. Then punch it out with a die cutter ($50 on ebay).
3. Get a PVC printer and printed directly on a PVC card.
Now we get to the part you're at... the hologram. If you look closely, you'll notice that a hologram is smaller than the id itself and that it is laminated right on top of the id. Use a tea kettle and boil up water. then grab a razor and peal off one of the corners of the hologram. Then use tweezers and pull off the hologram really slowly over the steam. Just don't burn yourself, steam = hot. Once you pull it off, you will notice that some of the ink from the id pulled off as well. Use acetone (nail polish remover) to get that off. Pour the acetone in a container and drop the hologram in there for a couple seconds, then pull it out. be aware that 100% pure acetone is too strong and will eat your hologram within a minute. If you get pure acetone, dilute it with water. Also don't keep the hologram in the acetone too long because after it takes off the ink, it will start taking the hologram off. Pull it out and rinse it in water. Next get spray mount (glue that you spray, you can get it at acmore or any arts & crafts store). Spray it on the hologram, and then put that on ur ID, then laminate. Without the spray mount the hologram wont hold on well by itself if you just laminate. And you're done. Make sure you make the back scannable, it uses a pdf417 standard which is not encrypted (but i'm not sure if thats what they use in Canada). Additionally, you can print on a the UV onto the id before you put the hologram on with a Fargo printer.
So now you have an ID that looks 100% real. It scan, has a holo, and has the uv.
Piece of cake
Old 03-22-2009, 04:31 AM

fuck dat shit bitch, im not wasting my pokemon rares