Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Better Living Through Chemistry

Old 12-14-2009, 03:39 AM
Peasant

Default Blood clotting in syringe?

Basically, i suck at shooting up. Occasionally, i will register, and then lose my vein, this leaves blood in my syringe, and eventually it gets hard to push down the plunger. I assume this is due to the blood in there clotting and stiffening, but i'm not sure. Can this happen? My only guess on how to solve it is to either get a bigger needle (no thanks) or fully insert before pulling back, so its harder for my needle to pop out of my vein.

Also, both of my veins in the crooks of my elbows are too fucked up to shoot, where else do yall like to shoot? I just want easy access. Any tips, too? I run hot water over my veins occasionally, and sometimes work out. 45mg oxycodone in a vein is love.

Last edited by studious_redux; 12-18-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 AM
The Boss

Default Re: Blood clotting in syringe?

If you have a clotting disorder, yes. If not...maybe?

----------------------
+++++++++++++++++

Key:
---- = endothelium (inner lining of blood vessel)
+++ = von Willebrands Factor (protein, clotting catalyst)
___ = basement membrane
empty space = your blood

The blood contains clotting factors which do not clot alone. They clot when exposed to von Willebrands Factor. This protein is located between the endothelium and the next outer layer of the blood vessel. When the blood vessel is damaged, the vWF comes into contact with the blood, and shit starts bonding to collagen molecules.

I dunno. If you suck at injecting, you could probably get that going on. If you did it well, and used a very small gauged syringe, it should be okay?

I've stuck it in a vein, registered, shot half, removed, and then used the remaining half with blood in it up to 20 minutes later (I like to inject slowly to put myself at EXACTLY the right level), with no ill effects. You'd think if it was throwing clots I'd have had a pulmonary embolism by now.

mike
Old 12-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Knight

I shoot on the backs of my forearms, but I have huge veins from weights and I don't even need to tie off. But a few things to keep in mind.

The crease in your right arm is usually the easiest spot.
Go in almost parallel to the vein.
Use atleast .5" 1cc syringes
Have have the head of the needle facing upward
If it's hard to press in the plunger, stop
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
a334jv2df (03-03-2012)
Old 12-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Peasant

It fucking happened to me again. I swear to god, im so fucking pissed. Once i get so much blood in, it gets too thick to even take up in a syringe, im using 31ga 1cc insulin syringes. My blood has to be clotting, ever so slightly. Heres what happens- i get a hit, and once i get a quarter in i check again because my vein sometimes swells up. The second time i check, it doesnt register (im positive, the bubbles get bigger), and i cant get a hit after that. My arms are absolutely fucking torn up. I'm so fucking sick of this shit, after a few minutes of trying, i cant even squeeze the liquid out. What are your favorite veins? Both of mine in the crook of my arms are fleeced, cant use em, which really sucks because im right handed, and the one in my right arm just so happens to run sideways. FUCK!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 AM
The Boss

Get a dumbell and do some curls immediately prior to shooting, and or get one of those things you squeeze to work the forearms. Do a few good sets and you should have all sorts of veins showing.

mike
Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Man, Myth,Legend.

Send a message via MSN to studious_redux

Sounds more like you just suck at shooting.

Blood will clot outside of the body and in a syringe. There's enough contact with VWF when the blood is removed to start the clotting cascade off. if it does this and you can't press the plunger down when you're outside of the body you've clotted or blocked the syringe. If you have resistance pressing it down in the body you're just not in a vein.

If you've collapsed or thrombosed your left median cubital and basilic veins then your first option is move to your right. Shooting left handed isn't hard.

Next best option would be the large vein which lies at the back of your wrist in most people.

After that then the web of veins at the back of your hand although these are fragile and immensely susceptible to damage. Use the straightest, bounciest one you can find and inject slowly into it.

If you can see them, the deeper veins in your forearm can be an option although you'll probably need longer than a 12.7mm insulin needle to reach them. Make sure it's pulseless first and be aware of the anatomical positions of nearby nerves and arteries.

If you have no other option, the veins in your underside of your wrists but be wary of the fairly shallow arteries and that these veins are horribly fragile too.

Anything below your elbow and you're going to get noticeable track marks if you suck at shooting or are shooting a lot.

BE VERY WARY of arteries. If you get bright blood that rushes into your syringe under pressure, don't shoot into it. Take out your needle and apply hard pressure for five minutes. Injecting into arteries causes horrible spikes in plasma level, risks throwing clots into your arterial circulation (very not good) and can cause arteriospasm that can reduce local bloodflow rather painfully.

Most important thing is to rotate sites religiously. Given time your collapsed veins will sort themselves out.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Lulzar (12-17-2009)
Old 12-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Mechanical elf at work

Send a message via MSN to stateofhack

Or, give up shooting, rectal administration ftw
Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofhack View Post
Or, give up shooting, rectal administration ftw
Some of us would rather fuck up our veins than shove something up our butts.

mike
Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Peasant

UPDATE: So it happened again. Only this time I decided to fuck it and go ahead and pop down the plunger. I was amazed to find that I was in a vein! Heres what happens- I put on a toniquet, found a vein, got in and registered. After I undid my torniquet, i pulled back again, and appeared to get a vacuum. However, the blood seemed to get darker, so I went ahead, and didnt see a bump so continued. Why would no blood come into the barrel when i pull back in a vein?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaT View Post
Why would no blood come into the barrel when i pull back in a vein?
I don't shoot up, but I thought if you don't see the "flag" when you pull back, it means you're not in a vein.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Peasant

Thats what I thought, too. But i also thought that if you inject not in a vein you get a lump. And i didnt get one of those. I'm positive i was in a vein, i could tell by the effects. I believe my blood was just slowly slowly trickling into the barrel. I just dont understand why any vacuum bubbles would appear, and not immediately fill with blood, if youre in a vein.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Man, Myth,Legend.

Quote:
Thats what I thought, too. But i also thought that if you inject not in a vein you get a lump. And i didnt get one of those. I'm positive i was in a vein, i could tell by the effects. I believe my blood was just slowly slowly trickling into the barrel. I just dont understand why any vacuum bubbles would appear, and not immediately fill with blood, if youre in a vein.
If you take the torniquet off, occasionally the vein collapses enough so that the hole in the needle presses against the wall of the vein. When you suck back again you pull the wall of the vein against the hole and get nothing back. You're still in the vein and when you push home it'll still go in.

Be warned though, you don't always get that bleb if you're missing a hit. Sometimes you'll just push it all into tissue, especially if injecting into deeper veins.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:16 PM
The Boss

Quote:
I just dont understand why any vacuum bubbles would appear, and not immediately fill with blood, if youre in a vein.
If the seal on the syringe isn't airtight, this can happen. On a side note, when this happens to me, I start to inject, and the bubble, while right near the needle, doesn't go into the vein. The liquid does. When I get right near the end by the bubble, I stop injecting.

mike
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Man, Myth,Legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksnowboarder View Post
If the seal on the syringe isn't airtight, this can happen. On a side note, when this happens to me, I start to inject, and the bubble, while right near the needle, doesn't go into the vein. The liquid does. When I get right near the end by the bubble, I stop injecting.

mike
just shoot the bubble. you're not going to harm yourself with such a small amount of gas into your venous circulation. When testing for a PFO they inject 10-20ml of inert gas into circulation. your lungs are really efficient at getting rid of these microbubbles and you can get everything out of your syringe this way.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by studious_redux View Post
just shoot the bubble. you're not going to harm yourself with such a small amount of gas into your venous circulation. When testing for a PFO they inject 10-20ml of inert gas into circulation. your lungs are really efficient at getting rid of these microbubbles and you can get everything out of your syringe this way.
Shit, really?

I learned something today.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Regular

Quote:
I'd just like to note that the mentioned test uses air agitated with blood and saline to produce very tiny bubbles, not air alone. It also normally uses no more than 1 mL air.

That aside, a person free of cardiac defects can safely tolerate a small amount of air with no ill effect. In order to cause symptoms in a healthy person, enough air must be injected such that the capillary bed of the lungs cannot handle the volume of air and either the right ventricle becomes strained, or air backs up and cardiac output drops due to decreased pressure (air will compress rather than displace).

The other risk is if you have an ASD or PFO. Less than 1% of us have an ASD, which could allow air bubbles to pass directly into arterial circulation and cause an embolism. About 20% of us have a PFO, which can cause the same issue but only if blood pressure becomes high enough (e.g. from sneezing) to open the pathway. Even so, it's estimated that 0.5 mL air need be introduced directly into the coronary arteries to cause fibrillation.

TLDR: Unless you're injecting stupid amounts of air into your veins, it's not going to hurt you and is well tolerated. Even a 1 mL syringe half full of air shouldn't cause any harm unless all the odds in the universe are stacked against you. Withstanding extreme cases, even comparatively large volumes of air often produce no symptoms, though can produce benign arrhythmias.

This is for informational purposes only though, I don't want to be held responsible if you're the first ever documented case.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:01 AM
The Boss

Tell ya what, I actually wanna know the answer to this question for sure now. I have some extremely small gauged syringes. I'm gonna fill it up with water, insert, and register as if I was taking a shot. I'll let it sit overnight, then shoot it into the sink. If it won't shoot, blood clots in the syringe.

However, I don't think it will, honestly.

Edit: If I can find some batteries, I'll do pics.

Edit2: No batteries. When I tried to insert the needle, it was a really weird feeling as if I was grazing the vein along it rather than going in. I removed the needle, and the site started swelling up to a disturbing point. Not like your normal missed shot, either. It was a small bump, but raised much higher than any I've seen before (and I didn't inject anything). Figures the one time I royally fuck up a vein isn't even to get high.

Anyways, we got 2/10 of the syringe filled with blood, 5/10 with water. The blood is thus more dilluted than it would be if I were actually shooting. Also, seeing as how I just fucked my vein a bit, my study might err on the side of favoring the clotting..

mike

Last edited by mksnowboarder; 12-15-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:16 AM
Baron

Quote:
Tell ya what, I actually wanna know the answer to this question for sure now. I have some extremely small gauged syringes. I'm gonna fill it up with water, insert, and register as if I was taking a shot. I'll let it sit overnight, then shoot it into the sink. If it won't shoot, blood clots in the syringe.

However, I don't think it will, honestly.

Edit: If I can find some batteries, I'll do pics.

Edit2: No batteries. When I tried to insert the needle, it was a really weird feeling as if I was grazing the vein along it rather than going in. I removed the needle, and the site started swelling up to a disturbing point. Not like your normal missed shot, either. It was a small bump, but raised much higher than any I've seen before (and I didn't inject anything). Figures the one time I royally fuck up a vein isn't even to get high.

Anyways, we got 2/10 of the syringe filled with blood, 5/10 with water. The blood is thus more dilluted than it would be if I were actually shooting. Also, seeing as how I just fucked my vein a bit, my study might err on the side of favoring the clotting..

mike

I used to be a total newbie at injecting but imo if you go in at closer to a 90 degree angle to where it just pierces the vein right away, and then lowering has helped me register every time.

To the op: My guess is maybe your not filtering properly and some trash may be getting drawn up and blocking it when you are trying to inject.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP View Post
I used to be a total newbie at injecting but imo if you go in at closer to a 90 degree angle to where it just pierces the vein right away, and then lowering has helped me register every time.

To the op: My guess is maybe your not filtering properly and some trash may be getting drawn up and blocking it when you are trying to inject.
That sounds painful.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 AM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP View Post
That sounds more difficult than insertin parallel, and more likely to just go through the vein. But I never have trouble hitting it; this was just a fluke. My veins are large and right at the surface all over my arms, and I haven't ruined them by shooting up too often, so its easy as shit.

mike
Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Man, Myth,Legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'd just like to note that the mentioned test uses air agitated with blood and saline to produce very tiny bubbles, not air alone. It also normally uses no more than 1 mL air.

That aside, a person free of cardiac defects can safely tolerate a small amount of air with no ill effect. In order to cause symptoms in a healthy person, enough air must be injected such that the capillary bed of the lungs cannot handle the volume of air and either the right ventricle becomes strained, or air backs up and cardiac output drops due to decreased pressure (air will compress rather than displace).

The other risk is if you have an ASD or PFO. Less than 1% of us have an ASD, which could allow air bubbles to pass directly into arterial circulation and cause an embolism. About 20% of us have a PFO, which can cause the same issue but only if blood pressure becomes high enough (e.g. from sneezing) to open the pathway. Even so, it's estimated that 0.5 mL air need be introduced directly into the coronary arteries to cause fibrillation.

TLDR: Unless you're injecting stupid amounts of air into your veins, it's not going to hurt you and is well tolerated. Even a 1 mL syringe half full of air shouldn't cause any harm unless all the odds in the universe are stacked against you. Withstanding extreme cases, even comparatively large volumes of air often produce no symptoms, though can produce benign arrhythmias.

This is for informational purposes only though, I don't want to be held responsible if you're the first ever documented case.
having had a pfo test relatively recently, it.s more than 1ml of air and i believe it's actually nitrogen. Doppler ultrasound is not that sensitive. When diving i know that you end up with a lot more than 1ml of free gas in circulation and unless you, as you mentioned, have a pfo it really doesn't cause you problems (although as mentioned these are microbubbles as with a pfo test)

Working in the environment i do, i know substantial volumes of air end up getting pushed into peoples circulation on a regular basis from things like unprimed IV sets and it doesn't cause problems. Air embolus is really hard to achieve.

And to add to the 'blood doesn't clot in syringes hypothesis i managed to get blood clotting in a heparinised blood gas syringe not ten minutes ago when i took some gasses. It happens, it really does.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
The Boss

Well, after 16hrs or so of letting the blood/water mix chill at room temp, I was able to squirt it out without any difficulty at all. I guess there could be extremely tiny clots in there that aren't visible/don't interfere with injection. However, this seems to support, if not confirm, my theory that blood should not clot in a syringe.

What I think, is that some very small amt of vWF must come in contact with the blood when you insert the needle through the endothelium. However, if you don't register within like a second or so, it would probably be carried away through circulation. Even if it didn't, only a tiny bit of vWF would be around, so it shouldn't clot at any appreciable level (like I said, there might still be extremely small bits of clotted platelets in there somewhere).

mike
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Baron

*note: i'm an experienced drug user, but never injected before..so take my words with a grain of salt but i think i'm right from what i learned over time*...

Why not work out your arms a lot until the veins pop out a bit and inject somewhere on the upper forearm or something? By upper i mean like the top...lol. I wish i knew the actual name doctors use. It sounds like you inner arm/common spot/whatever its called is shot to shit. Try your other arm/other places on arm? Personally my veins pop out alot on my upper arms. Sorry if i explained that poorly.

How about one of your legs? I assume it may be harder, but it might be worth the risk? Just a suggestion.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Man, Myth,Legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
*note: i'm an experienced drug user, but never injected before..so take my words with a grain of salt but i think i'm right from what i learned over time*...

Why not work out your arms a lot until the veins pop out a bit and inject somewhere on the upper forearm or something? By upper i mean like the top...lol. I wish i knew the actual name doctors use. It sounds like you inner arm/common spot/whatever its called is shot to shit. Try your other arm/other places on arm? Personally my veins pop out alot on my upper arms. Sorry if i explained that poorly.

How about one of your legs? I assume it may be harder, but it might be worth the risk? Just a suggestion.
Legs and feet are not a brilliant option. Femoral injection is downright hazardous, blind injecting next to a major artery and nerve. Shit, even taking femoral gasses worries me sometimes.

i have injected into veins on my feet and ankles before when i was resting my arms. It's not a brilliant idea. Foot veins, although large, are quite mobile and its easy to miss hits. It's also not a good idea to do something which risks throwing clots into your deep venous circulation into your legs. DVT isn't a fun proposition.

That said, it is do-able in desperate need. Just not sensible.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Peasant

The veins in your feet are actually smaller than the ones in your hands. They just loom better because theres less fat. I wont go near any veins in my legs, fuck that. Too dangerous. I havent my situation happen today, not being able to register. I think what was happening was previously stated, that when i pulled back the wall of my vein covered the hole of the needle, as when it did happen blood would slooooowly leak into the space created by the vacuum (just realized that, i pulled back and held it for ten or fifteen seconds). All is good and well. Well, except for my poor veins hahaha. Also, ive started using a torniquet, and when i pull it fairly tightly (7 or 8 out of 10) mh veins come right to the surface and pop out nicely. I'm sticking to 31ga 1cc insulin II syringes.

On a side note, where do you guys get your rigs? I go through more than ten a week, and in my state they take down your ID number at pharmacies, where I've been buying them. I said theyre for my allergenic dog (true) but therate i go though them its gettin a little sketchy.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Duke

Try shooting into your foot? Between your big and index toe.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Peasant

No. Thats retarded. Had you actually read the thread you wouldve seen its been mentioned multiple times. If you must shoot into your foot, shoot into the web of veins on the top
Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Knight

In Maryland needles are available without a prescription over the counter so they don't ask what they're for
Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Peasant

You dont need a script here, either, but they ask for ID. Like pseudo
Old 12-16-2009, 07:02 PM
The Boss

Quote:
You dont need a script here, either, but they ask for ID. Like pseudo
If you don't wanna show your id, this has worked for me:

Cashier: May I see your ID?
Me: Don't have one.
Cashier: I can't sell you this without ID.
Me: Okay, I'll go use a dirty needle and sue your store when I contract a disease.

mike
Old 12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Relentless Send a message via MSN to Relentless Send a message via Yahoo to Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopping cart for brains View Post
Try shooting into your foot? Between your big and index toe.
you have no fucking clue what you're talking about do you?

op, you need to ditch those 31 guage needles and get some 29's. 31's are so hard to shoot up with cuz it registers so slow you can hardly tell theres anything in there with a dark shot cuz it takes so long. 29 guage half inch FTW
Old 12-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Peasant

Haha strangely enough i got some 28 or 29ga earlier today!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Well, after 16hrs or so of letting the blood/water mix chill at room temp, I was able to squirt it out without any difficulty at all. I guess there could be extremely tiny clots in there that aren't visible/don't interfere with injection. However, this seems to support, if not confirm, my theory that blood should not clot in a syringe.

What I think, is that some very small amt of vWF must come in contact with the blood when you insert the needle through the endothelium. However, if you don't register within like a second or so, it would probably be carried away through circulation. Even if it didn't, only a tiny bit of vWF would be around, so it shouldn't clot at any appreciable level (like I said, there might still be extremely small bits of clotted platelets in there somewhere).

mike
I have verified this experiment, with the same results. I may try it again, only this time drawing blood into a .3-.5cc of water, and depressing the plunger until there is a drop of blood on the tip before leaving it to sit, as it is possible that the blood may need to be in contact with air to clot
Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Count

You are probably just losing your vein, I always do that when shooting. Be sure to hit, flag a tiny bit, push to the hilt and finish flagging. You should know if you are in and know that you won't lose it again.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Duke

I don't know how so many people suck at shooting drugs. And this includes nurses, and non-junky related people. Its such a simple concept.

OP you are doing something wrong. I have no idea what, but I recommend you read a guide to shooting (theres one on heroin helper) over and over until you realize the mistake you are making.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Regular

Quote:
having had a pfo test relatively recently, it.s more than 1ml of air and i believe it's actually nitrogen. Doppler ultrasound is not that sensitive. When diving i know that you end up with a lot more than 1ml of free gas in circulation and unless you, as you mentioned, have a pfo it really doesn't cause you problems (although as mentioned these are microbubbles as with a pfo test)

Working in the environment i do, i know substantial volumes of air end up getting pushed into peoples circulation on a regular basis from things like unprimed IV sets and it doesn't cause problems. Air embolus is really hard to achieve.

And to add to the 'blood doesn't clot in syringes hypothesis i managed to get blood clotting in a heparinised blood gas syringe not ten minutes ago when i took some gasses. It happens, it really does.
That 0.5 mL was in reference to air being directly directly into a coronary artery. My example was saying even at 0.5 mL odds are realistically impossible for it to cause any damage (the impossible odd that not only is the air injected as a contiguous stream, but 100% of the air passes through foramen ovale without getting broken up and all goes directly into a single coronary artery).

On a more realistic note, as you said there are plenty of ways for air to get into the blood stream and even 20 mL might not be noticed. It's dependent upon both volume of air and the speed at which it's being added. In fact I would feel pretty confident saying that it's next to impossible to kill yourself or cause damage unless it was being done intentionally.

Air volume used in the test can vary so neither of us are right or wrong, and I'm not entirely sure about the gas used.

Anyways, the overall point is still that injecting air is more of an urban legend than anything.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Man, Myth,Legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That 0.5 mL was in reference to air being directly directly into a coronary artery. My example was saying even at 0.5 mL odds are realistically impossible for it to cause any damage (the impossible odd that not only is the air injected as a contiguous stream, but 100% of the air passes through foramen ovale without getting broken up and all goes directly into a single coronary artery).

On a more realistic note, as you said there are plenty of ways for air to get into the blood stream and even 20 mL might not be noticed. It's dependent upon both volume of air and the speed at which it's being added. In fact I would feel pretty confident saying that it's next to impossible to kill yourself or cause damage unless it was being done intentionally.

Air volume used in the test can vary so neither of us are right or wrong, and I'm not entirely sure about the gas used.

Anyways, the overall point is still that injecting air is more of an urban legend than anything.
Yep. Absolutely. The whole idea of fatal injection of air into venous circulation is basically a myth, at least in the portions normally talked about.

I wouldn't fancy a whopping great 50ml bolus, but the small 0.1ml or less that sometimes gets introduced via intravenous injection just won't do you any harm.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 PM
The Boss

Archive?

mike
Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Count

Quote:
If you don't wanna show your id, this has worked for me:

Cashier: May I see your ID?
Me: Don't have one.
Cashier: I can't sell you this without ID.
Me: Okay, I'll go use a dirty needle and sue your store when I contract a disease.

mike
Insulin is a "right to live" drug so you can demand to be sold needles (if you are clearly not a minor) on the basis that it is illegal for them to deny you based on stereotyping. (I'm not 100% on this one, but I've heard it from a very reliable source)
Old 12-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Archive?

mike
Yes, definitely.