Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Society > Weapons and Combat

Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 3,400 Times in 2,192 Posts
Default Remington 22 Cyclone- loose bullets

Quick question.

My friend and I bought 20,000 rounds of bulk Remington ammo online some years ago, and we still have a few thousand rounds left. I brought a couple of boxes home today and I noticed that nearly every bullet in the box is loose in its casing. Is this normal or safe? The Ruger 10-22 has seemed to fire fine, I just thought this kind of strange, and didn't know if it was normal or a safe practice.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Nothin' at all

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Re: Remington 22 Cyclone- loose bullets

I've never bought bulk .22 ammo that didn't have a significant amount of loose bullets.

I shot them all without issue.

I'm talking probably 2000 or so loose rounds shot with no issues.

The ammo you have is fine, shoot away
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Knight

Yeah i've noticed that with a few different brands, seems to vary from lot to lot. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If storage conditions aren't ideal and you plan on keeping them around for a while you could pack them into a .50cal can or somethings thats air tight so you don't have to worry about moisture getting into the powder/primer comp over a long period of time.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Marquis

Thanked 1,075 Times in 662 Posts

How loose are we talking here? A slight wiggle? Or does the whole damn bullet fall out? Obviously, in the case of the latter, you shouldn't shoot them. .22 bullets that wiggle a little aren't all that uncommon. I don't know how "normal" it is. Bulk Remington Cyclone isn't very high on the quality scale.

I wouldn't expect to get super tight groups out of it, but I wouldn't expect it to blow up in your face either. Perhaps the bullet will be at a weird angle which might cause feeding problems if it gets stuck the wrong way on a ramp, but other than that I can't foresee any other drastic failures.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 3,400 Times in 2,192 Posts

Okay, good to know. Yeah theyre loose enough that I can pull the bullet up a little bit, and I can twist it around 360 degrees. But theyve given decent performance in the past. I just want something to fire in the Unique if I do end up getting it this week- just to see if it still works and such.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM

i have had many like that you could twist the bullet as long as you cant push it back in the case you dont want setback on the bullet even though i dont think ive ever heard of a kb in a .22 that wasent some kind of out of battery detonation better safe than with stitches
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Knight

I had a kb in my .22 single shot when i was a kid, The rim almost separated from the rest of the case, gas escaped into the action and broke the 4mm x 3mm (est size) extractor in two and sprayed my face with shit. The vision in my right eye was fucked up and hella sore for about 2 weeks. I still have the case and broken extractor somewhere, i think i've posted pics of it before.

It actually took me years to get over the flinch it caused.

Problem was a double charged Winchester .22LR shotshell.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Serf

SUE SUE!! OMG SUE THEM! Joking.

I've also had plenty of .22 wobbly ammo, and fired it without a problem. Only other strange occurrence with .22 bulk was some Remington subsonic stuff and the projectiles had some strange discolouration and crystalline stuff growing on them :S
Old 01-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Nothin' at all

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistos Minion View Post
SUE SUE!! OMG SUE THEM! Joking.

I've also had plenty of .22 wobbly ammo, and fired it without a problem. Only other strange occurrence with .22 bulk was some Remington subsonic stuff and the projectiles had some strange discolouration and crystalline stuff growing on them :S
That was probably wax.

I did have an out of battery KB with bulk Federal once.

I think the bolt contacted the rim in just the right spot (well wrong spot, lol) and the case burst in half.

I just picked it out with a knife and kept shooting.

I also had what I believed to be and overcharged round of Remington target ammo. I fired and the extractor and extractor spring blew out of my rifle and punched a nice hole in my palm.

And both occurrences were in the same rifle too, that shit must be cursed or something.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Virus

You're fine. Pretty much all bulk ammo is that way, but I'm taking a liking to aguilla ammo right now.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
Quick question.

My friend and I bought 20,000 rounds of bulk Remington ammo online some years ago, and we still have a few thousand rounds left. I brought a couple of boxes home today and I noticed that nearly every bullet in the box is loose in its casing. Is this normal or safe? The Ruger 10-22 has seemed to fire fine, I just thought this kind of strange, and didn't know if it was normal or a safe practice.

Thanks.
yes that is normal. Most bulk .22s come like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56 SS109 View Post
That was probably wax.

I did have an out of battery KB with bulk Federal once.

I think the bolt contacted the rim in just the right spot (well wrong spot, lol) and the case burst in half.

I just picked it out with a knife and kept shooting.

I also had what I believed to be and overcharged round of Remington target ammo. I fired and the extractor and extractor spring blew out of my rifle and punched a nice hole in my palm.

And both occurrences were in the same rifle too, that shit must be cursed or something.
A freind had something similar happen with a 10/22, it crack the stock and mag and supposedly caused a few of the rounds in the mag to go off.