Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Human Life > Better Living Through Chemistry > From Seed to Smoke

Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Regular

Default How to build a DWC system

This thread will go over how I made my DWC buckets. I've made a couple different DWC systems before, but this is the type I've had the best results with. The buckets are based off of a thread on grasscity(i believe), but with a couple things left out for simplicity/cost. All DWC systems are pretty much the same though, and with this guide you should be able to build one out of any container you want.

Code:
 [/\][/\]
 /0\  /0\   <- Lights

000 000    __ <- Buds
  _YY YY_  /[__]  <- Air Pump
 /  Y_Y  \/ <- Tube 
 | |xYx|/| <- Net Pot+Hydroponic Medium
 \______|/ 
 |  sss || <- Roots
 |/\/\/\/| <- Water
 |___xx/_| <- Airstone
Heres a diagram I made of our dwc buckets. Basically the plant is suspended in a net pot which is filled with some kind of hydroponic medium, and hanging from the lid of the bucket over the bubbling nutrient solution. The roots will eventually grow out and hang into the water, and will be supplied oxygen from the airstone and pump.

Materials
  • 5gal plastic bucket with lid
  • net pot (mine are 6", might be a good idea to go a bit smaller like 5")
  • air pump
  • air stone
  • hydroponic medium
  • a couple feet of aquarium tube
  • roll of aluminum tape
  • razor/boxcutter/etc
  • drill/something to punch holes in plastic
  • optional: check valve
(this is just to make the buckets, in a grow you'd also need lights, seeds, nutrients, rockwool, etc.)

1:
Flip your netpot upside-down and place it on the center of your lid. Trace a circle around the lid of your bucket, and then cut it out. The net pots will sit in this.
2:
Coat the whole thing in aluminum tape, this will block light out which should prevent algae. Light's also not good for your roots. Don't forgot to tape the bottom, this never crossed my mind until one day i noticed there was light coming in through the bottom!
3:
Drill/punch a hole in the lid that will fit the air tube, run the tube through and connect one end to the airstone and the other to the air pump. It would also be a good idea to buy a check valve to prevent any fuckups with your pump. Some pumps come with them.
4:
That's basically it! Fill it up with water/nutes and plug the pump in, you're good to go !

General Notes

I use hydroton as a hydroponic medium, it's the only kind I've ever used and never really had a problem with it. Just be sure to wash them before use. Coco coir looks cool, I'd like to try it sometime though.

More bubbles = good ! So get the heavy duty pump and the big airstones ! When I upgraded pumps I saw a HUGE difference. And it's like the only expensive thing in this whole system, so I'd really recommend getting a good one.

It's recommended to clean out your buckets and replace the nutrients once a week, but you really can cheat and wait 2 weeks, I've even heard of people going every 3 weeks, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Keep your air pump above your bucket. This prevents it from fucking up basically.

I'm personally not a fan of using those big rubbermaid tubs for DWC, I've used them once before and I found they were a pain in the ass to fill/drain. If you do build one with a tub though I'd highly recommend a fountain pump to pump the water out, or installing a drain.

Okay thats all I can think of right now, feel free to commment/ask questions

Last edited by olive; 05-25-2010 at 07:55 AM.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Dose Me (02-09-2010), samhuinn (02-09-2010), zombo.com (02-09-2010)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Marquis

Default Re: How to build a DWC system

Nice. And your weed looks mighty bright ;p
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

Thanked 1,014 Times in 691 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dose Me

Thanks man I really wanted to make one of these.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Regular

I'm starting to wish I had gone with individual buckets as opposed to the tub for my DWC. Possibly what I will switch to for the next one.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Regular

You could use 2" pots with synthetic sponge. Germinate your seed in a warm place on some damp kitchen paper on a small plate. When the leaves begin to appear, place the shoot inside a piece of synthetic sponge that will fit the mesh pot. Slash the sponge half way through down one side. Have your water level high enough in the bucket so the bottom of the sponge just gets damp / wet.

When the plant grows, the weight of the roots in the water will stop it from falling over.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 AM
seeks filthy whore

You're right, DWC pots are fairly simple to construct. And their supremacy as the best growing technique is challenged by no one - plants grow faster and bigger, proven time and time again. Yet DWC systems can become very complex very fast as soon as you incorporate multiple plants.

You could either grow all your plants in one system, which is more organized and systematized. Or you could build a small DWC system for each plant, which can tailer to their particular strain's nutrient demands.

Both methods have their own sets of hurdles to overcome - but for the most part if you have a large operation then the clear answer is to use one large DWC system for all plants.

Ultimately, your decision should be based on your own, unique growing situation, i.e. how many plants you gots and if your stains require any difference in nutrient feed.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich White Male View Post
Both methods have their own sets of hurdles to overcome - but for the most part if you have a large operation then the clear answer is to use one large DWC system for all plants.
I was actually thinking about this the other day. Making a big DWC system for a bunch of plants, but not have the res directly under the plants (so it's easier to change/clean) like it is right now. Came up with this:

except the tube for recycling the water wouldn't actually be at a weird angle and kinked like that (it prolly wouldn't even work) I just didnt want it to overlap for the sake of the drawing
Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 PM
is baked

Thanked 1,267 Times in 954 Posts

theres a hydrofarm system exactly like that, with a 55 gallon drum res, except they have a gravity pump/timer in between the rez and the first chamber.

it looks like a nifty system.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Regular

I read a write up once about a DWC with a secondary res connected to make changes easier. I'll see if I can find it.